don't click here

Administrator Title Change

Print

Author Topic: Administrator Title Change  (Read 153608 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Administrator Title Change
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »
These two quotes put together have me dumbfounded. So you ackowledge most of the claims you made about the community apply only to the minority yet you still decided to base your line of argumentation for your decision on admittedly inaccurate disrespectful generalizations about our community? Now, that's dickish, and I would say it confirms my assumption that your long "more direct" post was written out of spite, disregarding truth and accuracy in the process. Do you really think picturing our community in your post as a pile of assholes was a good idea? Or did it not matter to you because your level of involvement on the site had just changed? Again, I'm really sad and disappointed by the way you decided to go about this.

I'm not sure I see what could leave you dumbfounded here. It only makes sense that I would base my thoughts on the people that do things in the name of TSC and/or post on the forums. That said, I will clarify things, as you're right about my claims being inaccurate as written.

My claims hold for the vocal minority who bring drama to the forum or who do things off TSC in TSC's name. The rest of the community almost never speaks on TSC, neither in the forum nor on IRC, or has since distanced itself from it.

I would never make such a claim about the community lightly, Zeupar, as I still have much respect for this site. I didn't decide to make that post just because I thought I could slander people on the way out. The fact of the matter is that I left my position because I have this perception, and I think it's in your best interest to look at why I have that perception instead of assuming I just didn't force the super quiet people to remind me of their presence. If there is a vocal group of more pleasant people who act in TSC IRC, the forums, or other TSC-related groups instead of in private, please direct me to that group. I truly would like to meet these people. I know there are individuals in the groups I did decry that are not as bad as the whole, but I suspect those people realize I am addressing the whole and not every individual part.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
Ok so I've never made a forum post and I feel like this would be a good time to.

I joined TSC in September of 2014 (wish I could've been around in the glory days yadda yadda yadda) and I feel like as a new guy I could maybe provide some helpful insight. (Or maybe not and I'm just full of shit, who knows)

So anyway, I had been part of the Paper Mario community for a little while back when I ran Any% in February of 2014 and I noticed in August of 2014 that there was absolutely no community for S06--a game I was interested in getting into. There was no place where people that ran the game could all hang out, chat, get to know each other, discuss strats etc. So in October I took the time to scour the interwebs to find every 06 player I could, PM all of them on twitch or tweet at them asking for their skypes so we could make a skype group. We started with a humble gathering of 6 people.

That was 6 months ago

Since then our skype group has flourished into a group of 20+ people that have a passion for the game, we constantly motivate each other to improve our times and it has gotten a ton of older runners to start playing again and inspired new runners to pick up the game. Hell, it has helped me tremendously in getting motivation to improve my IL stats in the game here on TSC and my SS runs. I have really gotten to know good friends like Focus, Yish, DsS, Tony, Bigness, Dax, Markus, Brenz, masta, Daniel, Ouro, R2, Paulie and together we have built the 06 community from scratch.

Focus already mentioned that 06 has been the most active on the site its ever been since about 2007, and I think I can trace that back to our skype group. Every time someone breaks a record people get hyped up and congratulate him, profusely spamming the group with emotes and such. Every time someone streams 06, all you have to do is post the link to their stream in the skype group and the community comes out in full force to support him. Every time someone asks a question about what story to run first, people fight over their favorite characters and stories be it sonic silver or shadow because they're so eager to welcome new people. THIS is the type of community that makes a game popular and promotes activity, not random BS calling and drama.

The reason I say this is not to brag about 06 (even though 06 is awesome :D) or to put down other games or anything or anyone specifically, I just think that from a purely community standpoint, this is what we need to work towards for every sonic game on TSC. We need to have a passion for running sonic, we need to be open and nice and welcoming, we need to have a place where people can put their streams so the TSC community can come out and show support, we need to have people fighting over which game a new player should run. Heck, we should have a way for people who are new to introduce themselves to the rest of the community. And in general, we should be more positive. This type of drama i think should be dealt with privately on skype or something unless its REALLY necessary for every single person on the site to see it (thats just my opinion idk take it or leave it).

I know I have no business sticking my nose into this post where it doesn't belong but I guess I did it anyway :P.

Thorn and Parax, I wish I had the chance to get to know the two of you better before your departure, I hope you had a ton of good times on the site that will last you a lifetime and best wishes in all of your future endeavors!

~Liam (tripl3ag3nt)

P.S. Sorry in advance if I directly or indirectly hurt someone's feelings with this, I just felt like sharing my own naive opinion from the perspective of a guy who is still one of the newest members

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »
If you mean me, I'm not an admin; I can shitpost as much as I like.
Last I looked you were one, keyword being were, so I can see why you were taken out of admin status.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Ben

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 05:42:00 pm »
What happened to the quirky but friendly site that I joined in 2005?

Bring back Rolken & flyby. :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:51:17 pm by Ben »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »
If you mean me, I'm not an admin; I can shitpost as much as I like.
Last I looked you were one, keyword being were, so I can see why you were taken out of admin status.

Nope, I was never an admin.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »
^ Just for the record, the status he had is a token position if anything, as it has no actual power besides editing posts. Admins on TSC are in red username-wise on the forums (and dark red for ex-admins).
Fair enough.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Starlight_Glimmer

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 12:04:27 am »
back on topic a bit.. the community cant really be blamed completely, at least half the fault falls on sonic team. they havent made a decent sonic game since sonic generations and sonic colors, speed runner bias aside, these are barely not shit games, these are definitetly no Sonic adventures/sonic2/sonic3 par games by far. To make matters worse, their latest greatest, sonic boom! go find the timer in that game! Sonic team literally peed on us with that. (oh and the cartoon sucks too imo)

We actually have ppl in this thread that think Sonic 06 was a great peak in competition. which is the equivalent of saying sonic 1 gba is one of the cornerstones of tsc. It's not their fault though! sonic 06 came out in 2006! that is going on 9 years ago (yah that long lol)! that game is shit, but thats what they were born into, and think they found some niche fanbase with this site.

the community is only dieing because sonic team has put us in struggle mode for years, giving us games that critics give 5/10, 3/10, 2/10, mostly rightfully so!!! and we just put on a fake smile and play it (personally sonic team broke the last straw with me on sonic and the lost worlds, I went berserk). we have a game on the site that has only 3 players, and is almost 5 years old, why? because its shit.

that all being said though, im still willing to hang out for forever and help this place out the best I can. besides, there is a lot of exclusive records only on this site. so its nearly impossible to kill tsc no matter how much it dies.
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 02:48:03 am »
I don't think it's a great idea to start a "this sonic game is good/bad" argument in this thread, and blame it on that... <_<
Youtube - youtube.com/user/kirbymastah1991
Twitch Stream - twitch.tv/kirbymastah

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
You know something, I think I've finally lost my give-a-damn for this place.

The SDM of 2014 and prior would have copy-pasted and taken shots at all of you for the drama you made, then retreat for a few days and do it again.

I don't even care enough to do that. I think I'm one of the lucky few who actually has better things to do.

Here's to not giving a shit, Thorn!

* SpinDashMaster raise glass

Offline Token

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 11:49:27 am »
After much thought, I've decided to pass the torch of Head Admin on to the next person. I've been sliding out of touch with the speedrunning community as of late and haven't had the motivation to work with the site. I also don't have the knowledge of all 52 games and two DLC expansions on the site that I need to in order to separate valid BS calls from invalid ones nor do I have the power to fix some issues on the site. I don't get to see any of the social scene on TSC anymore, as it's moved off-site into smaller pockets in which I don't get involved unless called for. When I do get called for, it's typically not for good things; for example, I've recently watched old friends go at each other's throats over events tied to the site. All of this has been a bit much to deal with (and frankly makes me come off more than a bit whiny when all I experience is the negatives), so I think it's time that I give my title to people more willing to invest time into the site with a positive attitude.

As GerbilSoft currently has the most power on the site, he will carry the Head Admin title from here forward.

Thank you to everybody who's been pleasant and helpful during my time heading the site.

Good luck to you and your future endeavors.

back on topic a bit.. the community cant really be blamed completely, at least half the fault falls on sonic team. they havent made a decent sonic game since sonic generations and sonic colors, speed runner bias aside, these are barely not shit games, these are definitetly no Sonic adventures/sonic2/sonic3 par games by far. To make matters worse, their latest greatest, sonic boom! go find the timer in that game! Sonic team literally peed on us with that. (oh and the cartoon sucks too imo)

We actually have ppl in this thread that think Sonic 06 was a great peak in competition. which is the equivalent of saying sonic 1 gba is one of the cornerstones of tsc. It's not their fault though! sonic 06 came out in 2006! that is going on 9 years ago (yah that long lol)! that game is shit, but thats what they were born into, and think they found some niche fanbase with this site.

the community is only dieing because sonic team has put us in struggle mode for years, giving us games that critics give 5/10, 3/10, 2/10, mostly rightfully so!!! and we just put on a fake smile and play it (personally sonic team broke the last straw with me on sonic and the lost worlds, I went berserk). we have a game on the site that has only 3 players, and is almost 5 years old, why? because its shit.

that all being said though, im still willing to hang out for forever and help this place out the best I can. besides, there is a lot of exclusive records only on this site. so its nearly impossible to kill tsc no matter how much it dies.

You wanting to become admin was pretty lol in itself but this post takes it to a whole new level. I'm just curious of why you thought it was a good idea to bash Sonic 06. Yeah, the game is bad IMO (I don't speak for others) but the reasons you gave were LOLcoasters. Maybe people run the game because...I don't know...they like it.

Just because a game is bad doesn't mean people can't still enjoy running it.

My actual opinion:

I feel that someone of new blood should take over the site. Passing the torch off to other old admins who aren't really active much doesn't improve the situation much. If the site is to improve it's situation, pass the torch on to someone who is not only very active on the site, but has a good head on their shoulders and can make rational decisions without any bias or letting feelings take control. I don't think that the site needs to start from scratch or that we necessarily need someone from the community to update the site. It could be outsourced and I actually know a few people who could actually do it depending on what EXACTLY needs to be done to get the site up to speed.

As for proof, video proof AND photo proof (optional)should be the new standard. It'll still be possible to fake times but it'll be much easier to call out BS if the site is to go this route. The honor system at this point (justified back in 2003 due to technology limitations) is no longer a reliable system due to the overabundance of cheating that has gone on during the years.

As for RN, that doesn't need moderation nor any TSC affiliation to run them every week as it just requires consistent people. If a group is dedicated to running a game every week (i.e Ninja Gaiden Saturdays), then it should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:34:27 pm by Token »

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »
Here's to not giving a shit, Thorn!

* SpinDashMaster raise glass

http://i.imgur.com/TMSafUJ.jpg

well screw it then. I rather allocate all my resources atm to anti-emulator/pro-proof efforts. Lets kick the can of big problems down the road, chalk thorn and parax up as a loss (though I'd rather they stay), and go from there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:57:51 pm by Flim_flam_bsdetector »
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2015, 06:26:18 pm »
I don't think it's a great idea to start a "this sonic game is good/bad" argument in this thread, and blame it on that... <_<

Agreed. From what I'm reading, S&A is purposefully trying to start the drama I stated we should avoid. He's bringing up topics that have been known to cause a lot of debate or drama on both the site and the fan base in general. He's not even trying to hide the fact he's doing it. It's blatant.

There's no reason to start up another "emulator issues" topic and have that same shit go down again. It really ruins the integrity of the site, causes chaos where there doesn't need to be any and makes people leave TSC because of it. Just keep what peace TSC has left intact.

Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 07:32:30 pm »
gosh darnit, focusSight I can't get anything past you! you are so smart! smarter than everyone else here to see right through me, RGHH! I want to destroy the site I compete on sooo badly! *awards top snowflake award of the year*

Seriously though, you live in the past, that crap was a decade ago, stop stalking me. you comment on every post I make, and try to make every topic about me, everywhere, you're a creppy kid, and you give me a taste of the "community" thorn describes. the only reason im responding to you, is because you targeted me in this thread alone 3 times. shoooo~ 

Personally I see this as a mourning time in tsc history on par with rolken leaving (which you werent even born yet), and it needs to be respected, dealt with, and then we need to move forward.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:37:40 pm by Flim_flam_bsdetector »
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline PsyMar

• Really going to play Sonic again. Someday.
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
Rolken left?

EDIT: to be clear, I really was completely unaware that Rolken had left.  This sucks.
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

"When you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 11:57:19 pm »
Seriously though, you live in the past, that crap was a decade ago, stop stalking me. you comment on every post I make, and try to make every topic about me, everywhere, you're a creppy kid, and you give me a taste of the "community" thorn describes. the only reason im responding to you, is because you targeted me in this thread alone 3 times. shoooo~ 

Personally I see this as a mourning time in tsc history on par with rolken leaving (which you werent even born yet), and it needs to be respected, dealt with, and then we need to move forward.

Yes, I am the creppiest kid around.

Seriously though. I see your points, just present them without trying to start an argument. That's all I'm saying. The reason I'm "targeting" you is because I've seen on these forums arguments started because of asserting a specific point until it gets out of hand and the forums become a war zone. Don't let it get to that. If you think I'm talking about your behaviour in the past, I'm not. I see you trying to bring up points that really aren't necessary to bring up at this point in time. I have nothing against you from what you've done. I wasn't on the site when you were most active. I'm also not saying that you are trying to destroy the site. Your points are valid, just I'm worried they might cause more argument and debate, which from previous similar discussions, has let to unnecessary and unneeded drama and anger. I agree: Emulators should be sorted out to allow complete fairness on the site. I do not believe that it is necessary to talk about at the very moment, however.

I'm not really even part of TSC's community that actively. I apologize if I have made you feel bad or made you feel like I was trying to impede your points. I was just trying to stop the drama that engulfs the site from happening again.

Personally, I believe the site deserves an update. It's been about 4 years since the last update (according to dates at the bottom of the site). One of the things that I really am quite annoyed about is the inability to easily submit on the chart page itself or edit comments/times easily. Being used to CS, the ability to submit from the chart page itself, being able to see immediate result and being able to edit your comment to add something like proof is a very well thought out system. Having to go to the same screen with all times/scores/rings/whathaveyou and then waiting for the actual submission to go through is an annoyance. I agree (mostly) with Hyper. Having to start from scratch would be extremely hard for all the staff on the site, and I think that's why we're unlikely to even have an update soon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:04:21 am by FocusSight64 »

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 06:08:38 am »
Randomly decided to check TSC for Chemical Plant Zone vids and stumbled upon this. I read bits and pieces of this thread, some sad stuff to read but I think most of it is true. :/ TSC has been dying for a while now and Parax explained a lot of the reasons why. I just never really thought people would "accept" that in a formal sense, and so many prominent members at that.
Thanks to everything the ex-Admins have done for TSC in the past, I too am overall glad I found this site. Met some cool people and tried out some things I would later decide I didn't want to pursue. I wish I was closer to a few people here, but I guess that's probably my fault.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »
After reading these posts about either letting the site die or changing it, I would like to say something that I probably should have mentioned earlier when I became admin. The reason I wanted to become an admin on this site was because I wanted to help out more and hopefully make some changes to the site. This came from people mentioning about the decline in the site's activity and wanted something done about it on a topic that was made some time ago. That is why not long after that I started up Race Nights about 3 years ago and it did bring in some new members who started competing on the site. Then I became a ban hammer and started on sorting out the videos on TSC.

Now that I became a full admin not long ago, I would like to discuss with Zeupar and Gerbil at some point, to see if the site should/can be changed in some way or not. I had some things that I thought could be added to the site to maybe update it a little.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:01:57 pm by flying fox »

Offline InferSaime

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2015, 02:58:45 pm »
Before I start I'd like to wish Thorn and Parax good luck with their future endeavors.

Personally I think it might be better to let the site die. With the current state of how easy it is to look for records, stats, other runners, etc on YT, Twitch, speedrun.com hell even twitter and other social media I don't think there is much need for TSC to be around. However the primarly reason I say this is that this site is outdated as hell and I do not have much faith in gerbil to update this site. With an outdated site there isn't much you can do. And that admins can't do that much without the irc or gerbil, well that's just disappointing.
Another option would be updating the site but that would require a lot of work. And personally I don't think it's worth the trouble for anyone to do that. After all TSC is after its prime and lasted for over 10 years (which is pretty damn long). But I guess it'd be all up to gerbil or for another developer to show up.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2015, 03:05:03 pm »
I understand what you guys are saying which is why I said in my post 'if the site should/can be changed in some way or not.' It does look very much it is too late but at least this way I can say I tried :(

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »
that would be nice if you could get something done FF, on the other hand It's probably unrealistic to ask gerbilsoft to make big changes to the site, at least without paying him. let alone it takes a lot of work for just one person.

two small ideas I have, that I believe ... might be easy for gerbil to do is add a twitter feed of the members to the right of the site. I personally don't use the twitter, but I know its a pretty big deal for a lot of people here, it would keep everyone up to date of what all the members are up to and probably help keep the community stay closer

Another important thing is streaming, I've seen many other sites do it, have a page dedicated streaming, the page would just keep track if a member is online streaming or not, providing an easy one click way to the members stream, via a link you provide in your personal accounts settings.

Im sure everyone has a lot of big ideas, but unless we are going to pay the man, I dont know why he would want to do it?
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline flying fox

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2015, 03:59:04 pm »
Funnily enough one of the things I was thinking about TSC is that I'm pretty sure we don't have a link to our twitch team on the site. This could go under Media on the menu with a link to this. We also have a twitter account and a youtube channel (which I have no idea when it was last used). Again this could go under Media.

Also I do understand what Hyper said about the site needing massive changes and unfortunately I can't do that, but I haven't really thought that far ahead and only thought of small things that could be done.

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2015, 05:45:19 pm »
two small ideas I have, that I believe ... might be easy for gerbil to do is add a twitter feed of the members to the right of the site. I personally don't use the twitter, but I know its a pretty big deal for a lot of people here, it would keep everyone up to date of what all the members are up to and probably help keep the community stay closer

Another important thing is streaming, I've seen many other sites do it, have a page dedicated streaming, the page would just keep track if a member is online streaming or not, providing an easy one click way to the members stream, via a link you provide in your personal accounts settings.

These are great ideas. It would really help push the social aspect of TSC a bit more than it currently is. However, it's all up to really GerbilSoft to add it. I believe a while back, Zeupar asked if STL (one of the main developers on CS) could have a look at TSC's database/code (iirc). He hasn't been allowed any access to the code so far, but I know he could definitely help the site (if he is willing to do so). I'd need Zeupar to verify if what I'm saying is indeed correct though.

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2015, 05:53:25 pm »
All right, I wanted to post my thoughts on this whole subject earlier but felt I was a bit too late once some emotional posts started to occur. At the request of Zeupar and some rethinking on my part, I felt that it is necessary to get my opinions down. Firstly I want to wish Thorn and Paraxade well, as they obviously have decided that it is time for them move on as their priorities have shifted. Good luck, and have fun with your current projects. I really appreciated the efforts you two took to help the site and get things done.

Now, I've been a member of TSC for just about 8 years. Not the longest compared to when I could have joined and to other older members, but pretty long. I've seen members come and go, great battles in many games between myself and other competitors, and impressive acts of skill in video games in general. I was very active in the TSC IRC channel from 2007-2010 and such great times were had there from the constant general talk, to competing, to organizing Super Smash Bros. Brawl matches; it was a great community. Now, I took a leave for about 3 and a half years from competing and online communities in general, so I missed a lot of the decline of the older member activity and growth of the newer communities that occurred in 2011-2013. However, my research showed that TSC was great and active, although the community started to shift in behavior and style, which is okay.

Fast forward until now, and I see a site that is dying in certain parts, but not the whole. I know the site is outdated and needs an active developer as well as many new features, but I believe the driving spirit is still there. The individual communities that the site has broken into still compete, drive competition, and that ends up on the site in the form of videos, guides, and submissions. I may be biased since I'm part of the Sonic Heroes community which is doing well in terms of activity, but I see the Sonic 06 community thriving as well and other communities doing well. If you look at the site, we still get submissions in each day, which is great. I know the community has split and many people have said they are leaving (which is sad) but that is life. People move on, and decide to do other things. Take DsS's post for example: He is a great person who gave his heart to Sonic gaming and competing for many years and just has decided it's time for him to move on. It's the way of life, in a way a circle of life. I thought I was done with competitive gaming (for many reasons) back when I took my leave in 2010, and I did so for over 3 years. However, the spirit and fire that was inside me never died, and I ended up returning to the scene and communities, which I felt was a great choice I made. You never know, people that leave may be back someday, as interests change and often return to what they used to be, and with that comes new perspective. You just never know, as you can find yourself stopping activities you thought you never would abandon, and vice versa.

Now, obviously the site is in need of a lot of help, and the parts of the community that are leaving only add to that issue. I do agree that the past history of the site needs to be kept preserved, but not at the expense of future progress. If the site can be made better, do it. Otherwise I think it is a bad choice if you want the site to die or keep declining for histories' sake. Things change and sites evolve; I'm pretty sure that people would rather take the site evolving, getting better and progressing rather than dying. There is still a market in this day and age for video game competition sites, and I wholeheartedly want to see TSC keep going and become better. I still see new members coming in, and although old ones are leaving (which is entirely their decision, they choose what they want to do with their lives), there can still be hope for the site. I do not know how much longer the current activity state of TSC will keep going on, but there is no doubt that upgrading the site will bring in new competitors and community members in general. The site is not "dead" yet, but it is hard to tell when exactly it will die, if it does at all. I don't know if the site needs a reboot, upgrade or complete restructure. I do know though that I will be with TSC for as long as I can.

TSC is an incredible website that has given me access to meeting many great players and people over the years, and I won't leave the site after what I have experienced. What good will it do for me to leave a site that still has competition, good people and good times to still be had? Obviously that may not be the case now for other players, but for me, I'll be here and keep competing. Whether the site doesn't get any help and dies someday or gets the upgrades it needs and flourishes once more, I'll be here competing as it's fun, I learn more things, and there is no better database/website for the highest-level Sonic gaming. I don't think TSC should be chasing its past and trying to become what it once was in terms of "prime level style/activity"; embrace the fact that the site's largest growth period probably is over, and focus on the future. Acceptance of that will help build direction and focus for TSC's next steps. In addition, that mindset/outcome may come with activity comparable to its prime, but that is hard to say.

I'm willing to help the site in any way I can, and I don't see a reason to stop competing here at this time. I really hope that the people that can make a difference in the Administration of this site do so, and continue to do so. Good luck to all of the current Administrators, especially FlyingFox, Zeupar and GerbilSoft to keep on managing TSC, as those three are the most active now that I can see from this viewpoint.

All in all, TSC is place that I think can still be viable in the present day, and it really all comes down to the community and players involved. If there is no interest anymore, the site dies. If even a couple people want to still compete and see what this site has amassed over its 12 year history, then it's a win for TSC. You never know who will come around one day and change things. Remember, your past can be both beneficial and detrimental. Do not fear over using the past as a positive/driving factor, but know how to utilize that correctly. I wish all players luck that are leaving or have left, and remember, you may be surprised about what you decide upon in the future.

I'm glad to still be a part of TSC, and I know a bunch of other people are too. I know this was a long post so I may have forgotten something, but I felt I made myself clear about my own thoughts. A possible expansion post might be necessary if I feel the need to write something else. :P

Offline Token

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2015, 06:30:41 pm »
Before I start I'd like to wish Thorn and Parax good luck with their future endeavors.

Personally I think it might be better to let the site die. With the current state of how easy it is to look for records, stats, other runners, etc on YT, Twitch, speedrun.com hell even twitter and other social media I don't think there is much need for TSC to be around. However the primarly reason I say this is that this site is outdated as hell and I do not have much faith in gerbil to update this site. With an outdated site there isn't much you can do. And that admins can't do that much without the irc or gerbil, well that's just disappointing.
Another option would be updating the site but that would require a lot of work. And personally I don't think it's worth the trouble for anyone to do that. After all TSC is after its prime and lasted for over 10 years (which is pretty damn long). But I guess it'd be all up to gerbil or for another developer to show up.

Maybe it might be a lot of work...but can't we just import all of the il's for the games over to speedrun.com? Most of the Sonic games are there and adding IL's shouldn't be that hard outside of it being time consuming (I'm a mod of a few games over there). If we're to let the site die, I think this would be the best option. That way, all of the IL's are preserved, won't have to go through the effort of updating a site that may all be for nothing, and people can still compete.

This is just my two cents on that matter.

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:03 am »
Maybe it might be a lot of work...but can't we just import all of the il's for the games over to speedrun.com? Most of the Sonic games are there and adding IL's shouldn't be that hard outside of it being time consuming (I'm a mod of a few games over there). If we're to let the site die, I think this would be the best option. That way, all of the IL's are preserved, won't have to go through the effort of updating a site that may all be for nothing, and people can still compete.

The way I think about speedrun.com is that it's for RTA runs, not ILs. I don't think that's where these types of charts should go.

It's not like TSC's servers are going to implode because Parax and Thorn left. Changes like this are (relatively) common and shouldn't cause the entire site to crumble to the ground. People get older and leave. They grow out of who they used to be. They no longer are the same person when they started in the position. Change happens. It's up to us to adapt to it, live through it and go with it. We shouldn't give in and say that the site is dead because the main admin has left us. Power has changed hands multiple times on this site. There's no reason to go so worked up about this.

Aw. You've turned into a true CyberScoreian. Remember when you used to hate CS? :P

While I do not think that the site should die (as it holds a lot more records and details of competition in various Sonic games than any other site I know of), it is in desperate need of an update (as I've stated before). I won't repeat what I said there but I believe it still stands true. If in fact, for no reason whatsoever, the site dies tomorrow, so be it. I don't think it's justified if it's because of possibly being understaffed or a lack of trying. The staff that is left on the site can handle the issues TSC occasionally has popping up. (Though, not something on the scale of the emulator issues topic). I'd say look for some potential admins who can take the place of someone like Parax or Thorn (though we're unlikely to find candidates as good or better than them) that might want to help the site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:58:41 am by FocusSight64 »

Offline Token

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 07:55:11 am »

The way I think about speedrun.com is that it's for RTA runs, not ILs. I don't think that's where these types of charts should go.

It's not like TSC's servers are going to implode because Parax and Thorn left. Changes like this are (relatively) common and shouldn't cause the entire site to crumble to the ground. People get older and leave. They grow out of who they used to be. They no longer are the same person when they started in the position. Change happens. It's up to us to adapt to it, live through it and go with it. We shouldn't give in and say that the site is dead because the main admin has left us. Power has changed hands multiple times on this site. There's no reason to go so worked up about this.

No one said the site was going to explode or anything but given the current situation that we're in (the site need a huge update badly, site is missing admins, the head admin hasn't decided to pass the site on yet, people are starting to not care about losing championships, and the site is in a decline), uploading everything to speedrun makes sense. We don't have to leave TSC but if something was to happen to it, we would at least have everything there. Plus, since everything there requires a verification through the active mods, it'll be a lot easier to catch cheating.

In regards of getting worked up, no one is getting worked up. You are trying to be as optimistic as possible in a situation that's pretty bleak that we can't directly influence.

- A few of the long time admins have left due to RL and just moving on from Sonic games leaving only Momma Blimp, Zeupar, and Gerbil (probably butchered this) unless I'm missing someone else
- Sonic AD, The head admin, for some reason still hasn't passed on the keys to the site even though he hasn't really been active (if at all) for quite a few years now.
- The site needs a huge update as, TBH, it looks like shit now.
- The person who can update isn't really active as much and if he does update, it may be for nothing as there are other sites that does the same thing TSC does but also host other games
- The community has become toxic towards each other (myself included)to the point that people shit on other games or other people for no justifiable reason, as we've seen in this post.
- The only people I feel is capable to be come the new age admins for the site, if it's to be kept going, is people I don't think the admins want to pass the torch to or they don't want it.
- The site is in a decline

Pretty bleak, don'tcha think?

Offline SB737

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2015, 08:12:44 am »
I'd just like to say thanks to Thorn for all the work you've done, you've been a very good admin, and whilst it's a shame to see you go, I can understand your reasoning.
I think that TSC needs an active coder, as I always have, but from what I can see, that may not be possible right now.
The community of speerunning does seem to have shifted much more to full game speed runs, rather than ILs, and RAs/SAs, which is perhaps why people would go to other sites such as SDA and SRL. I thought I'd always be a big competitor on TSC, but I've also moved onto other games and joined other communities (Not saying I've left this community, I'm just a bit less active).
Competition on TSC has been steady for some time now, and I reckon it will stay that way, unless Sega can make a decent game for once, then maybe competition will rise up a bit, like it did for Generations, fingers crossed for Sonic's 25th anniversary in a year or so :P
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 06:46:05 am »
In regards of getting worked up, no one is getting worked up. You are trying to be as optimistic as possible in a situation that's pretty bleak that we can't directly influence.

- A few of the long time admins have left due to RL and just moving on from Sonic games leaving only Momma Blimp, Zeupar, and Gerbil (probably butchered this) unless I'm missing someone else
- Sonic AD, The head admin, for some reason still hasn't passed on the keys to the site even though he hasn't really been active (if at all) for quite a few years now.
- The site needs a huge update as, TBH, it looks like shit now.
- The person who can update isn't really active as much and if he does update, it may be for nothing as there are other sites that does the same thing TSC does but also host other games
- The community has become toxic towards each other (myself included)to the point that people shit on other games or other people for no justifiable reason, as we've seen in this post.
- The only people I feel is capable to be come the new age admins for the site, if it's to be kept going, is people I don't think the admins want to pass the torch to or they don't want it.
- The site is in a decline

Pretty bleak, don'tcha think?

Eh. I think we're both taking extremes here. I mean, at the least the site functions (poorly, mind you). I don't the site should just go away. If it's lasted this long, it can last a little while longer. CS was in a similar situation from 2009-2010. To quote the site history page on CS:

"Unfortunately though, MikkyX started to become slower when it came to coding CS4, and as a result the project was put on a halt. Because the main programmer and head admin was missing from Cyberscore, the moderators also became less and less active over the days.

It was at its worst late 2009 / early 2010, when almost none of the moderators regularly visited the site anymore. And then the unthinkable happened…

In April 2010, MikkyX threatened to pull the plug. While the main site still had a steady amount of submissions per day, the staff members were nowhere to be seen and the forum had more spambots than it had activity. And MikkyX did not want to pay the server costs if this was what was going on with the site.

When he announced this on the forum though, the community expressed their concern and their will to keep CS up and running. Some people even expressed interest in hosting the site themselves, and eventually it was placed into the hands of TheBrain.

Over the next few days, TheBrain found a suitable place to host the site and started the forum from scratch to mark this new era in Cyberscore’s history."

A similar bleak situation, if not worse than what TSC is currently in, happened to CS. Now, CS has a very active staff. The amount of proof mods, game mods, global mods, and admins is larger than ever before. I believe that, with a little bit of time and maybe even some luck, the same will happen to TSC. I'd love to help by being a staff member, as I have donated a lot of my time to CS and I would love to help TSC, but as a previously banned member twice, I can't really help. I'll just hope for the best, but if the site has to come to a close quite a bit soon, then so be it. It was a good run, guys. A good run indeed.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »
Good luck to Thorn and Paraxade. Also Focus can you actually write a post in this topic without the words Cyberscore or CS? Damn son

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
TSC doesn't need a specialized community to be worth existing. It is just a fun place to track stats because of interesting motivators like the color system, sitewide/game points, and an unrivaled depth of historical times to continually climb the ranks. Speedrun.com is just a personality-less list of times, and if you want to speed up the death of IL competition switching over is one surefire way to do it.

I've enjoyed TSC for years now without considering myself a member of the community...that aspect just isn't needed. As long as there is interest in comparing times there is a niche for TSC (there are still like 500 stats a week which is a ton). I don't normally post on the forum, but I am genuinely upset that people are talking about taking the site down just because their friends are leaving. Make friends elsewhere, post times here...don't drag a great thing down just because you want to gloom and doom about how the "glory days" are gone.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Print

Hits: 826 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.41 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.