don't click here

I knew this would happen eventually. (PS3)

Print

Author Topic: I knew this would happen eventually. (PS3)  (Read 8015 times)

I knew this would happen eventually. (PS3)
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:16:18 pm »
In an IRC channel I regularly visit, they were watching Sony's press conference on a site. I would have been myself, but sadly, I am stuck with dial-up. Living in the boondocks sucks. Anyway, back on topic. Sony has copied off Nintendo before, like with the analog stick during the last generation of consoles. I know there will probably be one person to say "well other companies have used it before", but the fact is, they didn't bother creating the dualshock controllers until Nintendo revealed their analog stick. I'm sure many of you know where I'm going with this.

<AniMarth> ...
<n1nt3nd0> wow
<n1nt3nd0> its uh
<n1nt3nd0> a ps2 controller
<CommanderZim> The SAME
<AniMarth> added what
<Toad> ...
<n1nt3nd0> are you watching it zero?
<Toad> are you fucking kidding me
<Toad> sony fucking sucks
<AniMarth> god
<Jader> duh
<AniMarth> kutaragi is so
<CommanderZim> ARE YOU SHITTING ME!@!!!!
<AniMarth> smug looking
<Jader> ?
<Jader> OMG
<Jader> NO
<AniMarth> you're kidding me
<Jader> COPY
<AniMarth> you're so kidding me
<Jader> ARGH
<Jader> ARE
<Jader> YOU
<Toad> what
<Jader> SERIOUS
<Jader> >=OOOOOO
<Toad> what's happening?
<Wavedash> ...
<Wavedash> What?
<CommanderZim> They copied!
<Toad> someone explain
<AniMarth> They copied the Wii controller.
<AniMarth> Basically
<Toad> please
<LostAddict> It was like Nintendo predicted.
<LostAddict> They didn't want to release it because Sony also stole their idea for analog sticks during the N64 era.
<Toad> ...

Way to go, Sony. Way to be original and honorable. But, it's not like they ever had much honor when it comes to business. It's happened before. Oh, one more thing I'd like to complain about...this is just crazy.

<LostAddict> 499 for 20 GB verson and 599 for 60 GB version.

Five hundred dollars, for the less powerful of the two. Sony had a lot of exclusive games and series I loved, but wow. I'm just getting a Wii now, and maybe a 360, so I can get that new Sonic game. I heard the Wii was getting a different one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:23:29 pm by Wavedash »

Offline F-Man

Re: I knew this would happen eventually. (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:21:09 pm »
WTF

I can't wait to see this.

Also the price is lower than what the Sony vice president recently told, I'm happy. =)

* F-Man getting PS3

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:33:26 pm »
Wow. They had stated it would be more expensive before? I hate Sony for stealing every original idea Nintendo has now, but I find the price to be even more crazy. Most people I know can't afford to spend that much cash. It just seems like such a terrible business move. >>;;

Edit: Hm. It seems I've jumped to conclusions. Go figure, the guys in the IRC channel made no mention of these facts.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/10/03/sony-has-its-own-magic-wand-in-the-works
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:33:20 pm by Wavedash »

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
Jesus Christ. $600 AMERICAN for a 60GB PS3?

That's about a thousand dollars here.

I hope this screws them over big time.

<3 Thorn.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:19:53 am »
Wow. They had stated it would be more expensive before? I hate Sony for stealing every original idea Nintendo has now, but I find the price to be even more crazy. Most people I know can't afford to spend that much cash. It just seems like such a terrible business move. >>;;

Edit: Hm. It seems I've jumped to conclusions. Go figure, the guys in the IRC channel made no mention of these facts.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/10/03/sony-has-its-own-magic-wand-in-the-works
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html
Hate to break it to you, but Nintendo didn't invent the gyroscopic controller.  There have been examples of gyro controllers for PCs for a while now (one of MS's Sidewinder joypad range has it for instance).  Not only that, Sony patented the potential design of the controller - gyro included - in 2004, before we saw the Wiimote.

Kicking up a fuss is like saying "OMG teh PS3 controller is wireless so it's a 360 ripoff!".  This was one of the things likely to make it into next gen consoles, and Nintendo can't patent the damn concept.  Even if they could, they'd be pressed to have done so before Sony anyway.  Deal with it.

Innovation means building on what has already been achieved, but hey, so long as the fanboys are happy let's not improve the quality of games in general, right guys?

/antifanboyrant

The price tag isn't unexpected.  My biggie is that if Blu-Ray becomes the accepted format it'll be worth it and if not it won't, which sounds a little too like VHS vs Betamax for my liking.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:24:26 am »
Kicking up a fuss is like saying "OMG teh PS3 controller is wireless so it's a 360 ripoff!".

Well, the Cube had it before the 360... or was that your point?

Either way, I hate how the ads for the 360 are raving about the wireless controller like it's completely new. I'm all for innovation, but passing something that's blatantly copied off a competitor (and a mainstream one at that) as innovation is, as RPG would say, definitely NOT rock 'n' roll.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:46:02 am »
^^Damn straight.

Also someone at College irked me at College over the 360 Controller a while back:

"360 controller is so much better"
"Why."
"Because I can stand at the end of my road and play my 360"
"How the fuck do you SEE?"

Case closed.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:09 am »
Clearly you haven't played XBox games; seeing what's happening is rarely required :p
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:23:55 am »
"How the fuck do you SEE?"

Case closed.

Fucking huge plasma hi-def TV.

Oh man I want.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 04:15:03 pm »
The Xbox360 didn't sell all that well, and, with the PS3's price and Wii-copied controller (lalalala i am rolling katamari *brother scares me, i drop controller* OH SHIT MY KATAMARI ROLLED OFF CLIFF SHIT), it will fail.  See sig.

Print

Hits: 658 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.