don't click here

Diving into some of the 2D sonic games?

Print

Author Topic: Diving into some of the 2D sonic games?  (Read 7251 times)

Offline SonicKnuckles

Diving into some of the 2D sonic games?
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:56 am »
So seeing as how I am looking to compete in the older 2D sonic games, I was wondering if games like Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems are permissible for stat subs? I unfortunately don't have any of the older game systems these were originally made for, so SMC and SG are my only means of playing them.

Thanks in advance for the help,

SonicKnuckles

(These games are the ones for GameCube by the way)

P.S. Speaking of Sonic Mega Collection, Does anyone have the complete list of games on this, and also how to unlock the secret ones? I cannot seem to find a reliable source of information browsing the internet.... Hmmm Fancy that
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:09:07 pm by SonicKnuckles »
SonicKnuckles is currently playing SA2. Started a new game and only 28 more emblems to go......

Offline Luxray

Re: Diving into some of the 2D sonic games?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:10:50 am »
have you tried getting an emulator and some roms
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Parax

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:32 am »
most rereleased versions are fine, if there aren't any functional changes to the way the game runs or the level layouts. Mega/Gems Collections are fine.

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:48 pm »
@No- I don't use anything like that, nor have I even looked into it honestly.

@Paraxade- Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I can't wait to get started on playing some of the older games, because I'll totally crush the competition... Yeah Right XD.
SonicKnuckles is currently playing SA2. Started a new game and only 28 more emblems to go......

Offline Donna

• Sonic Deconstructionist
  • TSC: donnashowl
  • winxp chrome
  • Don't give me hOPs unless I earned them!
    • View Profile
    • Donna's Blog - Found the Computer Room
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:41:50 pm »
SonicKnuckles, if you can play on a physical old school system using real cartridges, that's a lot easier than Mega/Gems--at least if you're using a gamecube. I do better on my boyfriend's Yobo (a cheap knockoff of the Genesis... and NES and SNES) than I do on the cube because my little tiny girly thumb is too short to reach the dpad well, and the stick is too sensitive. I have yet to verify how faithful the Yobo is. It's supposed to be just like playing a genesis for most part, but I noticed some color differences and one time I got a really weird glitch.

A lot of people here like using Gens+ becuase it allows them to easily record video of the run. Honestly, if you own a copy of the game legally, I don't see the problem with using an emu to play it if that'll help you share your acheivements.
-Donna, the crazy English major
I don't want your stinking hops!

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:22 pm »
@Donna - *Sigh* While I have recovered my brother Genesis, sadly it doesn't work. I'm looking into A.) Getting it fixed, or B.) Getting a new one. On the plus side I do have his only Game Gear, and it's only flaw is a poorly lit screen.

I don't really have a problem with using the Mega/Gems games, they seem to work just fine for me.. (maybe I have big thumbs lol), but my only question was really if I could use them. Also I don't really record too often, just because of sheer lack of materials and resources. But I might have to look into the emulator you are talking about... seeing as how I know almost nothing about it. Finally yes all my copies of games are store bought and completely legal.

I actually hope to get started submitting stats for the 2D games this week, because I'm on EASTER BREAK!!

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:27 am »
Also, Re: Mega Collection, the unlocks are the lock-on games (S3K, S2K, Blue Sphere), and some not-sonic ones (Flicky, Comix Zone, Ristar) which are just there for fun. You unlock them by playing the other games that you already have ~30 times each, although none of them involve playing the Game Gear games.

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »
@emerl - Oh Okay thanks. So it's nothing too important to worry about getting then. I was kinda hoping one of them to be Knuckles Chaotix and some Game Gear ones.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »
You should really invest time in an emulator. They are probably better for speedrunning the older games. (Before Adventure and onwards)
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Koshibou

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »
You should really invest time in an emulator. They are probably better for speedrunning the older games. (Before Adventure and onwards)

*before Adventure and backwards. (lol)

Offline Luxray

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:28:40 pm »
Well yeah. Advance and Rush are okay on eumlator though.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Print

Hits: 876 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.