don't click here

Sup! :D

Print

Author Topic: Sup! :D  (Read 19455 times)

Offline Nario

Sup! :D
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »
Hi guys!

My name is Nick Hagman, also known as Nario. I am a frequent user at VGMix, The Shizz, and OC ReMix, so if you see someone by the name of Nario there then that's me. I am currently 20 years old, I mix video game music for fun and create my own original songs (both of which you can find on my website), I constantly play video games, I'm currently going to college to become an elementary teacher, and my main goal in life is to become a paid musician.

I am a huge fan of the Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Metroid, Super Monkey Ball, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Xenogears/Xenosaga, Half-Life, Pokemon, and 8-Bit Mega Man series. I am also a HUUUUGE fan of the flash game 'Free Rider 2' and have made over 120 levels for it. For some reason the creator of the game hasn't contacted me on how awesome my levels are yet.

I intend on releasing my first commercial music later this year or early of next year. It will be a rap parody and will be awesome. Also, the dude who's looking gangsta in my sig is actually me. I am in no way gangsta, though. haha

If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask them! I could answer questions all day long and wouldn't mind at all, so don't be shy!

Oh, and the reason I joined this site is because of DarkspinesSonic. I've been a humongous fan of his Sonic 2006 videos on YouTube--in fact, I've almost gotten all of the achievements for the game because of his videos--and he mentioned this site once and so here I am!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: Sup! :D
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:52:38 am »
Welcome to TSC, Nario.

Since you said to ask questions and expect answers, I figure I'll take you up on said offer...

Why do you game?

How do you view the culture that surrounds it?

What was your first game/When did you start gaming?

How long/often have you been part of the competition scene, or is this your first foray into it?

With all the games you enjoy, would you consider yourself a pop gamer?

What Systems do you own?

What are your planned gaming purchases for the next season?

What games do you intend to compete in?

Also:  In bothering to look through my OCR archive, I couldn't find any tracks bearing Nario or Nick Hagman.  Further, I couldn't locate you using OCR's search engine.  Would you be able to link me to your works?  I'm curious to hear how you hear the history is that Gaming!

EDIT:  I found your works... turns out I had written "Nick Hangman" in the search box instead...  Whoops... >_>

Snd on that note, most awesome work.  Not my preferred style, but very nicely made nonetheless!

FURTHER EDIT:  Except Mechanical Cavern, which for some reason reminds me of somewhere around the time when I replayed DQ(U)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:58:37 am by Aitamen »
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Nario

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:52:53 am »
Why do you game?
Because it has become a part of me. When I was little, I was home-schooled and had nothing else to do than play video games. Now that I'm out in the real world, going to college for a degree, and actually having a social life now, I find it interesting how much I still play video games. It has become attached to me and it's something I'll never let go. Achieving goals into video games is so satisfying and nothing else I've ever done brings about the satisfaction that a video game can--this could include speed runs, minimal item collecting, or shortcut/glitch-path taking. Thankfully, YouTube has welcomed my latest gaming videos so far and I intend to post more videos of me doing stunts and stuff.

How do you view the culture that surrounds it?
I am slightly saddened by the expectations of gamers these days. There are many "hardcore" gamers--or should I say they call themselves hardcore--who play nothing but sports video games, and I think it would be best to expand one's tastes to play more than just your average Madden or NBA Street game.

When it comes to people who don't play video games, I am extremely saddened by their behavior; sometimes insulted even. I don't mean to generalize, but I can't help that those who don't play video games don't understand them, and are thus ignorant to what they are all about. I'm not just saying that they're missing out on a great form of entertainment, but that they can also harm the video game industry. Parents are always assuming that video games are just for children and chances are they'd purchase anything that looks "appropriate" for their own children. Should the parents purchase something like Halo 3 for an seven year old, it could be harmful on the kid, and it's all because of the ignorant purchase they made. Parents need to be informed about what they're blindly purchasing for their children, otherwise they may be the ones we all have to worry about when they decide to sue Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony/Wal-Mart??? for making their child a raging killer.

Of course, I don't believe that most people aren't harmed that much when playing video games and that violence is just dramatized on the news. However, many non-gamers have fallen into a belief that most of the "teen violence" is being caused by the violent games that teens are playing, and thus have been brainwashed by the media. For example: I'm currently in an education class at my college that's filled with mothers--ranged from the ages of 25-45--and nearly most of them either believe that video games is causing so much violence or that they don't have a clue what they're buying their children. However, we must inform these non-gamers of how isolated this violence truly is, and how playing video games is worth so much more than the risks present.

What was your first game/When did you start gaming?
My first game was Super Mario Bros. I was four years old. My very first memory of video games was World 1-4, seeing the gray bricks, the lava on the bottom, and the spinning flames. I saw my parents playing the level and I wanted to give it a shot. After a couple of times of asking to play, they eventually let me play. I've never been the same since.

How long/often have you been part of the competition scene, or is this your first foray into it?
As far as competing goes, I've made music for competitions in the past, but for the most part I like to stay away from it and make music on my own time. In relevance to video games, however, I've never been competitive online before. I'm not even so sure if I'll actually be competitive here on this forum, but I know that--without a doubt--I am a huge supporter of what you all are doing here and I respect all of the awesome gamers you have here. I am drawn to "hang out" with awesome gamers, in hopes that I am able to share my story of video games and hear what they have to say about their own story.

With all the games you enjoy, would you consider yourself a pop gamer?
I would love to, but I'm starting to realize that what I play isn't just what makes me cool, but rather what I do in the video games. Whether it be beating Resident Evil 4 in less than 2.5 hours, getting all of the achievements in Mega Man 9, or beating Metroid Prime without collecting a single energy tank/missile expansion/power bomb expansion, I feel as though my accomplishments in video games outweigh the games themselves, and I encourage everyone to do the same.

What Systems do you own?
Nintendo: GameBoy Pocket, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance (first model), DS, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii.

Sony: PS1, PS2, PSP.

Sega: Genesis/Megadrive.

Microsoft: Windows XP, Xbox 360.

What are your planned gaming purchases for the next season?
Sonic Unleashed, Dead Space, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Rock Band 2, Chrono Trigger DS, and so much more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

What games do you intend to compete in?
If here, it might just be Sonic Adventure DS, Sonic Adventure 2: BATTLE!, and Sonic 2006 (Xbox 360). They're the only 3D ones that have attracted the most attention from me, and thus I have played them to the point that I feel competitive enough to tackle some challenges.

If anyone has any requests for me to tackle in those three games, please let me know! I have a camcorder and am willing to tackle anything from those three games. :D

Also:  In bothering to look through my OCR archive, I couldn't find any tracks bearing Nario or Nick Hagman.  Further, I couldn't locate you using OCR's search engine.  Would you be able to link me to your works?  I'm curious to hear how you hear the history is that Gaming!
Sadly, I don't have any official releases at OCR. My music hasn't been accepted by the judges yet, but I'm getting there! I intend on submitting a Super Metroid remix in the next few months, so we'll see how that goes!

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:07:02 am »
Looking through my music folders, I seem to only have one remix from you and that was when VGMix was still down, but the forums were up.  I saw your name and thought (this can't be the same guy) and here you are.  Hope you have a good time here and have fun.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline flying fox

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:56 pm »
A warm welcome to TSC!

Oh, and the reason I joined this site is because of DarkspinesSonic. I've been a humongous fan of his Sonic 2006 videos on YouTube--in fact, I've almost gotten all of the achievements for the game because of his videos--and he mentioned this site once and so here I am!

I too joined TSC because of DarkspinesSonic. Some time ago I heard of the very hard missions for Sonic 06 (my favourite game ever!) and wanted to know what they looked like. I went to Youtube to find any videos of them and thats when I came across DsS's videos on them. My only reaction when I saw all of them was OMG this guy is AWESOME. I want to be a pro in Sonic 06 just like him. He also mentioned TSC so I immediately googled the site and signed up straight away.

So you have all the achievements sounds like you're going to be an awesome competitor at Sonic 06. Good luck and have fun :D

Offline Nario

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:22:42 pm »
Looking through my music folders, I seem to only have one remix from you and that was when VGMix was still down, but the forums were up.  I saw your name and thought (this can't be the same guy) and here you are.  Hope you have a good time here and have fun.
Oh? Which song is it?

Nonetheless, it truly is a small world. :)

Flying Fox: Actually, I only have two hours to go to get all of the achievements for Sonic 2006. I just have to get S-Ranks on three of Silver's levels. ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:30:22 pm »
Very impressive.  I think you'll fit right in here!

As one of the most critically opinionated people on this site, I welcome you, fellow gamer, to TSC.

I too started playing with NES.  When I was 2, I thought it was so funny to hit the reset button and make my dad mad, so he taught me how to play, so I'd know why he didn't want me to reset it...

I never stopped... and I do my best not to slow down, either!

I would highly recommend looking into 2D record attempts, btw...  getting 1:13 on FZ (Final Zone, S1) and :24/:25 on GH1 are both stepping stones for most speedrunners.  I think you'll find those rather rewarding, and regardless, I hope you do well in whatever you bother to compete in.

I'm off for now... be well, and GAME ON!
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline flying fox

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »
Flying Fox: Actually, I only have two hours to go to get all of the achievements for Sonic 2006. I just have to get S-Ranks on three of Silver's levels. ;)

That doesn't sound too bad. Silver's levels are easy :D

At least your achievements are better than mine. I used to have all gold medals on sonic's levels and last story, needed about 3 more for Shadow, one more for Silver, collected all silver medals and nearly got all S ranks on town missions. Unfortunately my xbox 360 broke months ago and some how my data got deleted and I had to start all over again :(

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:52:45 pm »
Oh? Which song is it?

Nonetheless, it truly is a small world. :)

"Nexus Soil"

although I could have sworn I had another by you, or it might have been someone else I was thinking of. 

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Nario

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:04:48 pm »
I would highly recommend looking into 2D record attempts, btw...  getting 1:13 on FZ (Final Zone, S1) and :24/:25 on GH1 are both stepping stones for most speedrunners.  I think you'll find those rather rewarding, and regardless, I hope you do well in whatever you bother to compete in.
Awesome. I'll keep those levels/times in mind.

Flying Fox: That's really sad to hear. :( Sonic 2006 is an extremely frustrating game and I'm so very sorry to hear that you had to get all of those S-Ranks again.

Shadow Jacky: Oh wow! That song is slightly old! I must ask, though: have you checked out any of my original songs? I think they're much better, by the way.

Also, the Super Metroid remix in my first post in this thread is my latest video game remix and I took all that I learned from making original songs and poured it into that song. Wow, what a run-on sentence!

OH! And one more thing: I made a Free Rider 2 thread in the gaming section here. I've made 131 levels for it and can't help but spread my love for FR2 here, so please check the game out if you can! We're all competitive gamers here so I think you all will like it!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:19:56 pm »
Welcome to the boards, man!
I think we have another couple of remixers around here ... Max Firestorm comes to mind, I forget the others.  I keep wanting to try, but (1) refuse to actually purchase needed software and (2) never have time.  But yeah, hope to hear what you can do soon!
And, I don't think I've done either of those, Aita...  <_<
Finally, I think DsS has brought more members here than anyone else ... I say we should recognize him, but he doesn't need yet another ego boost.  <_<
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:09:41 pm »
Those who have known me for some time know what I think of Youtube and the attempt to advertise TSC therein by posting our videos there. I have long said it's a stupid idea that is destined to bring in stupid people.

So to see a new member who willingly admits to being brought here from the dark depths of Youtube (through DsS, no less) and is able to use proper punctuation is an achievement in itself. To see a new member who has all that and then fully formed ideas on the gaming culture and outsiders' opinions about it... I can't help but be impressed.

Welcome!

<3 Thorn.

Offline Parax

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:42 pm »
I remember seeing you posting on m2k2. In any case, welcome to TSC, and good luck competing. :D

Offline Nario

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:53:42 pm »
yse: Heh, so DsS brings about the spawns of Satan? I wouldn't have ever guessed, honestly! I just thought he was an awesome Sonic 2006 gamer, and so I joined this place because of him. Of course, while I'm here I will post some Sonic videos, but it may take some time as my college assignments are squeezing the free time out of me.

One thing to keep in mind is that I'm not just some YouTube user who posts on every Sonic AMV or SonAmy video I can find. I'm not even the biggest Sonic fanboy either (though I love the heck out of every Sonic OST and listen to them regularly). I come from other forums and I must say that it won't be easy to describe me once I start to "settle in" and become active. I arrange music, I play video games some people don't even care about (Free Rider 2, oh my gosh), I'm weird/unique, and my sense of humor is of some of the most awkward the Internet has ever witnessed, however that makes any sense.

So, yeah! I come bearing myself and I can't wait to jump into some Sonic action!

Paraxade: Hey! I remember seeing you too! It's a small world once again! How is that place anyways? I left the forums because:

• The mods put words into my mouths and were the most impersonal robots I've ever seen.
  • Arkarian called me some names while I was completely innocent.
  • All of the above, especially since I even submitted a glitch to the place and I was still treated unfairly.

Frankly, I think they are the worst mods I've ever seen at a forum and I wish it didn't have to be this way. I was a member at SCU (RandomExtremity told me about it; we went to the same high school and shared a couple of classes together) and when it closed down and moved to M2K2, I thought it would be a smooth transition. Guess not!!! :(

In Metroid news: I recently beat Metroid Prime without getting any energy tanks, missile expansions, or power bombs. That took some time. Haha!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:19:32 pm by Nario »

Offline Parax

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »
You haven't been the last person to leave m2k2 over the mods. :P There seem to be a lot of people blowing up at them (mostly Ark) recently.

Metroid-wise, still working on my Corruption speed run (very very slowly :().

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 10:17:35 pm »
Shadow Jacky: Oh wow! That song is slightly old! I must ask, though: have you checked out any of my original songs? I think they're much better, by the way.

Also, the Super Metroid remix in my first post in this thread is my latest video game remix and I took all that I learned from making original songs and poured it into that song. Wow, what a run-on sentence!

it may be old, but I love me some Earthworm Jim tunes and I have a low count on anything Earthworm Jim especially from one of my favorite tunes (Lorenzen's Soil)

I will check out your other remixes now that I see you have a page.  My metroid remix folder could use a little boost heh.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Nario

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:56 pm »
You haven't been the last person to leave m2k2 over the mods. :P There seem to be a lot of people blowing up at them (mostly Ark) recently.

Metroid-wise, still working on my Corruption speed run (very very slowly :().
YES! Down with Noah's Ark! :D I mean, uh, that's just too bad... haha... I actually found another Metroid community to join anyways (Metroid Metal), so it's all good... but Metroid2002 was the king of glitches. Why'd I have to be "kicked out" of THERE? :(

I know how you're feeling about Corruption and the speed run. I was working on one too and then, well, it just fell off my priority cliff and now I'm playing Sonic the Hedgehog. I only have Flame Core with Silver on Hard to S-Rank to get all the achievements!!! :D:D:D It's about time.

It's so good to meet someone from VGMix and someone from Metroid2002. I'm really starting to feel slightly welcome here.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 10:26:44 pm »
well I don't make music myself, I just like to check in every now and again to see what's new and get whatever.

also do you have any idea when the VGMix complete database will be up?

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Nario

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
well I don't make music myself, I just like to check in every now and again to see what's new and get whatever.

also do you have any idea when the VGMix complete database will be up?
To be completely honest, no one at VGMix has a clue. virt--the sexy leader of VGMix who called me up on stage at MAGFest VI omg--was supposed to update us once a month on the progress of VGMix 3, but it's been since March when we last got an update. I can only hope that he's busy making two video game soundtracks a month??? He usually works in hectic loads like that, so it wouldn't surprise me that he's EXTREMELY busy composing music for games, thus keeping him from working on VGMix 3. But, honestly, we don't have a clue.

Now I have a question for you! :D When did you join VGMix? And did you ever know me as DJ15Nario? I ask because I used to sound HORRIBLE at VGMix 2.0, and I hope you don't have any of my songs from that era. :P

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 12:16:39 am »
I came around to VGMix some years ago (before the giant crash), but I never joined.  Well fast forward to late last year when the forums were still up and VGMix was making a comeback, I guess I was in search of other material to listen to other than OCRemix and someone from here had pointed me to a topic on the forums with a remix (Yellow Valkyrie).  Anyway, I was intrigued to find not only was there a request thread, but also a place where people were submitting finished or WIPs of remixes (well from what I can tell they were mostly finished, but who am I to know).  I then came across your thread and grabbed your remix.  I then checked back every now and again for new stuff until VGMix was back in action.  Well with the new site and all, I decided to join both the site and forums. 

but yeah, that one mix off of the forums is the first time I ever saw you.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline Nario

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:12 am »
Good. You'd only laugh at my older music. XD!

So, I just got all 1,000 achievements in Sonic 2006. I guess that makes me a pro??? Anyways, I posted a thread about it in the General Sonic section.

I love the music to Sonic 2006. It's, by far, the most enjoyable aspect of the game. <3

Offline Azure

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 10:24:23 am »
Welcome to TSC! It's actually a huge relief to have a new member who uses proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I've been in meddling in music composition, but needless to say, I'm not the greatest...

I hope you enjoy your stay here at TSC, and perhaps you might try out competition!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:17:05 am by Azure »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 12:09:43 pm »
It's actually a huge relief to have a new member who uses propper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Azure

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:42 am »
Thanks for pointing out that typo :D

Offline Luxray

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:41 am »
Welcome to TSC! It's actually a huge relief to have a new member who uses proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

:(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:20:42 am by Zeta »
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Nario

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 07:41:55 am »

:(
How is that sad? Azure is saving the world, one post at a time! :D

Offline Alondite

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:47 am »
 I concur Mike...it's...astonishing really that someone with sense and intelligence was brought from Youtube...and by DsS nonetheless.  Anyway, welcome to TSC!  You should stop into the chat sometime, that's where a good portion of the active members hang out.

Also this saddens me: "Sonic 06 (my favourite game ever!)"  :(

Print

Hits: 714 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.31 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.