don't click here

Looking forward...

Print

Author Topic: Looking forward...  (Read 12908 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Looking forward...
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:33:21 am »
I would like to announce my retirement from competition effective immediately.

However, this does not mean I am leaving you all behind! I will of course remain with TSC in whatever administrative capacity I am required in or asked to fulfil.

Taking back the Advance 3 championship has been my last and greatest of all my achievements here at TSC - a list which includes probably about half the site's championships held with a record seven at once, a few speedruns over at SDA, and my individual level videos here. Why is this my greatest then? Because the desire is gone. I have little left to give competition, and certainly nothing left to prove. That and Quartz was a worthy foe to overtake. >_>

On that note, I know I had the championship yesterday, but I felt the need to set him a target. I didn't want to put this up and look highly silly the next day when Quartz got around to rings, so I've set him a difficult, but certainly not impossible task to regain the championship. And I know he's up to it, too.

I must give some words of thanks to those who have helped me along the way:

Rolken - Where would any of us be without you? You've done so much hard work and put aside hard-earned for us to pursue what really is nothing more than a hobby - and one that gets you laughed at at many places too. Over the past four years you've shown outstanding leadership and integrity in all your dealings with other people. Anyone aspiring to be a great leader of people (myself included) - look no further.

SM - My mentor in the early days (and I imagine mentor to many other than just myself) on competition and running the place. I owe much of my recent rise through the admin ranks to you giving me my start as a mod of the old Sonic Legacy board, and much of my rise through the competition ranks to your strategies and advice.

NintenDan - My great rival from the early days. Who could forget the battles over Sonic Advance which you invariably won... Also our respected challenge runner in the GameFAQs days. I tip my hat off to you for actually getting a life while the rest of us kept on playing games X)

sonicam - I've particularly enjoyed my battles with you over the years. Your determination will serve you well in your later years... as long as you never play Sonic Adventure again. :D

stanski - You proved to me that the impossible was possible. Again and again and again and again! also S3&K >> S2 yeah you heard me!

Aitamen and Thorn - Two quarters of the mystical Quadrinity. That's right, the SECRET IS OUT :O

Seriously though, we've always provided each other moral support when required, and we will continue to do so, right guys? Rock on.

RPG - Of course, I save the last word for you. Still my "brother separated at birth" after all these years, my greatest rival and my best friend. I think the best way to sum him up is through his own words: "You can't have manslaughter without laughter".

Witty, yes, but fucking stupid. And that is why he is an inspiration to us all. :D

I'm going to conclude by telling a bit of a story that I never really told anyone here... not even RPG!

Not long after TSC started, in December of 2003, my parents split up. (This much most people know.) I can remember going to school in the last few days of grade 9 from a motel in the city. The whole situation brought out the worst in everyone. Both my parents tried to convince me and my brother that the other was not capable of bringing us up right. For me, it came out in rather darker ways. During this time I seriously contemplated suicide. The details of which probably don't need telling.

Obviously, the happy ending is that I'm still around, and far from being contemplative I'm looking forward to what is ahead of me. It's a state I never dreamed I could attain in those dark days, and I know my mental state is still far from where I want it to be, but I haven't felt this good about the future for a very long time.

And I attribute much of that to you, the people of TSC. You may have your label which says you're slightly or considerably more important than the average Joe but when it comes to open, honest discussion none of that counts for very much if you contribute to the discussion. It's this aspect of TSC that I love even more than the competition, and for which I am eternally grateful to have been, and continue to be, a part of. It is people like you who have restored at least some of my faith in humanity. That there are people out there who don't accept mediocrity. It is an honour to have been associated with such great people as well as great players.

So, on my final high in Sonic competition, I bid the competition adieu... and the community, welcome back.

EDIT: Forgot something >_>

I know you've earned the right to be skeptical of me thanks to NintenDan and Rayku and the like. I'd say my motives are different though. They wanted out so they could get a life or something, but sonicam showed you can have both. I would really love to play a game just for the sake of it being a game again. This place has warped my sense of what a game is and I preferred the old sense. :(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:39:02 am by mike89 »

<3 Thorn.

Offline Waxwings

Re: Looking forward...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:33:55 pm »
In an overused emoticon: :o.

That was unexpected. Good luck to whatever happens.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 12:34:58 pm »
Mike already knows my thoughts because Im special and knew before the rest of you <_<

Tho I cant for the life of me remember my initial reaction now
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:54:05 pm »
You can't say you didn't see this coming, even though you already defended against it.

I CALL BS!

I did change my typical prospect of gaming (after all, I tried to speedrun NSMB), but I've proven (though my recent "runs" of Sonic Rush and Advance 2) that I can play without technically speedrunning. Of course, I can't change your decision.

Though I swear you only said you were going to retire if you went all the way and took SA2B. >_>

Random: I haven't technically retired, though I haven't submitted in ~3 weeks. >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 04:50:26 am »
* P.P.A. already knew it.
:x

Well, I understand that you are growing tired of competition. I also sometimes miss the time when I just played Sonic R and CD for fun. :(

Also, looking at your site points, I think there's not that much more to archive for you. XD
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 10:39:09 am »
Bolt from the blue!

Sometimes, I play games in an attempt to speedrun them. For most times, you are a bare 30 seconds better than me. I am in awe. You are my idle in terms of competition.

Maybe playing less competitively will let you appreciate games all the more. You will finally enjoy games like Bubsy, if you had not allready.

At least you're staying with the community, though. It certainly saves the trouble of having to make a post saying things like "You are awesome! I secretly admired you even though I would never let it on or admit it openly! I can't believe you're leaving for good! Good luck!"

But, you are awesome. I secretly admired you even though I would never let it on or admit it openly. At least you're not leaving for good, and good luck with not leaving for good.

Looking further ahead, it seems as though most of the "old school" players have retired, with the exceptions being RPG, Rolken, Sonicam, and F-Man. A changing of the guard might be in order. By which I mean, you new guys need to step up in terms of competition. TSC is either going to hit another batch of glory days, or be really lame. Guess what determines that? How hard you play. I will find you, strap you to a chair, and force you to become legends at your respective games if need be. Yeah, I'm talking to you Stefan, Groudon, PsyBorg, Sky, Da1andonlyhedgehog, and so on. Get cracking on the old games >:O

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline JBertolli

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 03:59:03 pm »
Well, this sucks. I hate when things like this happens.

And, I might be getting Mega Collection some time soon so I'll be playing some old school Sonic games (I really want to play some Sonic 3-D Blast. Haven't played it in a long time :D)

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »
I've taken time to consider what I wrote for this, but apparently I'm just inarticulate, so I say only that you're an absolute legend, I've thoroughly enjoyed competing with you, and I'm really happy you've a good outlook on stuffs.

*huge hug, of the manly variety obviously*
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Stefan

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 09:49:23 pm »
I thought for a long time about what I could say, and nothing came.

Basically, you are amazing, and I'm glade you're sticking around. i am definitely not a person that has known you for too long, but what we have of eachother has been pretty awesome. You are definitely one of the most motivated people I've seen, and all your work on TSC shows that. It is great to know you are in the best state of your life in herms of hope and looking forward; That is news everybody wants to hear.

Anyway, happy trails away from gaming. It's nice you will be able to stay around.

Offline stanski

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 02:26:05 am »
Mike, I must say that this literally brought me to tears, because I know how the lowest of the lows feels and your situation reminded me situations I have been in many times in my life. I really feel for you and your situation and history here. I really wish you luck with anything else that you may pursue in life, and am at the same time sad about losing a speedrunner of your caliber. I was really hoping you would eventually try and beat my Sonic 2 SS at SDA, but I guess I'll just have to keep competing with myself.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:14:08 am »
I'll continue to play Sonic CD and Sonic R. Once I get a working Saturn, I'll also begin to TA Sonic Jam. >.>
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 08:37:55 am »
Oh I guess I can say that theres no worry of him ever leaving because I wont let him <__<

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 01:34:57 am »
I may be pretty new here, but I hate to see the best in competition give his goodbyes.  This competition so far has bought out a new level of gaming in me, I've done things that I never thought I could possibly do.  Maybe, someday, I could be as great of a competitor as you, but as for now, I'll be glad just to be able to label myself as one of the top five when it comes to the sitewide rankings.  Although you won't be competing, it's good that you'll still be around doing you're administrative duties as they are needed.^_^
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:37:03 am »
This is incredible. Really, it is. It tells me that I'm respected here even more than I could have imagined.

Thanks guys!

<3 Thorn.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 03:47:23 pm »
Basically, you rock

We'll miss competing with the number one competitor, but it's good to hear that you'll still be around

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 03:48:19 pm »
Im still competing thank you very much

<_________<

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 06:18:15 pm »
It doesn't seem right for a legend to retire. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best. If not, I can just throw a Prinny or two at the trouble.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:04 pm »
no wonder you set yourself so high on the sitewide rankings recently.

I could say the obvious of what I post to those that say they are leaving...but no, because thats not the case this time. 

this is still cliched >_>
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 07:20:43 pm »
SJ it still applies :P

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:02:04 pm »
BLASPHEMY!

Didn't you retire before?  But still...

YOU'RE RETIRING!?!  It musn't be!  Well, it's your choice.  But make sure to stay in the chatroom.

I'm still training in Pearl, though, so it'll be some time before I ring attack and get back those time records.  But I have to say the bar's pretty high for times, considering I've worked on fine-tuning levels even when no one beats them (Chaos Angel 1 being the biggest example).  Quite a bar...  This'll be fun.
Hi

Offline eredani

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 05:08:07 pm »
It's sad to see a speedrunner of your quality step down from competing, but nonetheless it's positive that you've achieved the things you have here and are on better terms with your life.

Truth be told, I always had a great deal of respect for your strong motivation and playing skills, mike, you've been a great competitor to me and an influence even if I didn't let it show. You repeatedly challenged me on several Sonic games to achieve seemingly impossible records, and I've consistently been forced to improve my skills to perform that. I really enjoyed the battles we've had, and I hope that you too have gained something out of it.

Print

Hits: 822 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.