don't click here

Sitewide Rankings

Print

Author Topic: Sitewide Rankings  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Rolken

Sitewide Rankings
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:22:32 pm »
After literally years of contemplation, we've finally settled on a formula for universal rankings, and behold they are born. mike89, RPG and sonicam hold the top spots.

The final formula is:
square root ( maximum game points / game charts ) * ( 10*(fractional percentage)^3 + leaderships + 2*championship)
...added for each game a competitor plays.

It's a bit complex, so I'll make a page explaining the effects, but the basic gist is that the way to get high points is to take the games you're already playing and push your percentage as high as possible. Playing new games will help your score, but not as much as getting really good in a few games, and popular games are worth more than unpopular ones.

Update: The numbers were slightly off. Fixed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:35:47 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline JBertolli

Re: Sitewide Rankings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:41:22 pm »
Pretty neat :) I'm #58 probably because of Sonic Heroes and some other decent times in other games. This makes me want to play Sonic games a lot more. And HOPEFULLY I'll pick up Secret Rings at the mall tomorrow and  do good :P

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 12:42:44 pm »
Well, apparently the top three has already changed.

Congrats to Thorn.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:14:26 pm »
wow

I noticed the sitewide rankings there earlier today and wondered how long it's been there. =P I must have saw it right after it came up!

This is really cool. I'm glad that championships and doing well in single games counts a lot more than spamming every game.

Psyborg has 13 games but the next up is stanski with only 3 games! (2nd, 2nd, 1st)

Actually that almost seems a bit extreme. >_> Though it is really close.

Nah, it's rock.

And now I can take stat bumping to a whole new level. Hip hip hurray for TSC!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:25:32 am »
I'd like to propose an alteration to the formula.

Given that the purpose of the formula was to give games weight against each other... why does the same not hold true for individual categories?

To illustrate this, I just got the Sonic Rush Special leadership, a category with about 40 total points in it, and I gained five whole sitewide points. This seems slightly out of line with effort.

As such, I suggest that the Leadership bonus, rather than being 1x the (sqrt) M/D multiplier, should have its own (sqrt) M/D multiplier within the category. In this case ~40 maxpoints and 8 divisions = sqrt 5 ~= 2.2, far lower than the 5+ points I got.

How feasible is this to implement?

<3 Thorn.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:50:11 am »
Sounds like win to me Mike, I hereby endorse this idea.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Ben

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:52:54 am »
Will that by any chance drop DsS's points loads? >_>

Print

Hits: 620 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.