don't click here

TSC and the Secret Rings

Print

Author Topic: TSC and the Secret Rings  (Read 111030 times)

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: TSC and the Secret Rings
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2007, 04:24:44 pm »
Now that is sweet! You must feel special. :) [What was the contest about? *Now you've sparked my curiousity.*]
I invite you to help us in the "Secret Rings Competition Thread" if you're interested. Enjoy the game as I have to wait 2 more days after you before I get the game. ;)

The contest? Let me give you a hint: Trivia.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2007, 06:42:07 pm »

Sonic Trivia? If so, then nice find. Do you remember the question, by any chance? How open was the contest?
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2007, 08:56:06 am »
Rick, let me know when you get the game. :)

2 days left!!
Wiiloveit

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2007, 12:38:20 pm »
Can do ks8. As for the questions they were pretty easy. To every one else it was difficult because they 50 cent Bullet Proof. That guy wouldn't last 10 seconds in the 99 cent store. <_<

I won that contest when my opponent said Miyamoto was the creator of Sonic.

Edit: I have about 10 hours before my prize gets here so, yeah...
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2007, 03:06:33 pm »
Can do ks8. As for the questions they were pretty easy. To every one else it was difficult because they 50 cent Bullet Proof. That guy wouldn't last 10 seconds in the 99 cent store. <_<

I won that contest when my opponent said Miyamoto was the creator of Sonic.

Edit: I have about 10 hours before my prize gets here so, yeah...

Nice and that's kinda funny.
Like I said, keep me posted. Mind if I ask a couple of q's once you get the game? Stuff you can answer right off the bat.
Wiiloveit

Offline X-5

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:41 pm »
pretty lucky, I never knew of such a contest :P

anyway, tell us if the game sucks or not when you get it, because I have high hopes for it yet at the same time I have a feeling itl'll suck :/

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2007, 03:44:17 pm »
pretty lucky, I never knew of such a contest :P

anyway, tell us if the game sucks or not when you get it, because I have high hopes for it yet at the same time I have a feeling itl'll suck :/

I'm confident it'll be one of the best Sonic games yet...
Wiiloveit

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2007, 04:42:44 pm »
Knowing SEGA, his copy'll come with a formal paper explianing a review embargo.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2007, 04:54:35 pm »
Yeah really :P

I have some new info about the game to share also.
I'll start with this ... don't forget SPOILERS...

Erazor is the final boss for the Story Mode, known as the "Master of Arabia". HOWEVER, there is another entity who you must battle in the game's... yes it's true... "Last Story", or, the secret unlockable stage.

Keep your eyes peeled. (I never understood that expression. Wouldn't that hurt? :P)

On that note, collecting all Seven "Secret Rings" will open up the Last Story. Personally, I think it's a stage where Sonic's on a ticking time bomb to escape the book or maybe the world and Arabian Nights world have merged... What an intriguing revelation. :) Oh, and can anyone say Heroes?

edit: So who's getting this game on Wednesday?
-Me, obviously
-SJ?
-eggFL?
-RingRush?
-Rolken?
-WingedInsignia?
-Paragod?

And we all know who's the first TSC'r to have it, now don't we...
Wiiloveit

Offline X-5

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2007, 05:06:35 pm »
damn right i'm getting it :) unless the store runs out or something knowing my luck it will.. but then again no one around here that I know of plays sonic so maybe it won't.

and I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally hope your right about it being the best sonic game ever, because it'd be about time as the last really good one was sonic adventure 2.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2007, 05:14:33 pm »
damn right i'm getting it :) unless the store runs out or something knowing my luck it will.. but then again no one around here that I know of plays sonic so maybe it won't.

and I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally hope your right about it being the best sonic game ever, because it'd be about time as the last really good one was sonic adventure 2.

I've been following the game very closely and from what I've seen, it will live up to that. But it all depends on what you value most in a Sonic game, I guess. Thankfully, though, camera issues aren't a problem for those Sonic fans who were very picky about that (not including myself in that; was only annoyed in Heroes on some occasions).

I also hope they'll have some on Wednesday. I'm thinking Future Shop...If not... I'll have to think of another place... (I'm CDN BTW).

Also, some critics even claimed it being better than SA; some say it was up to par with it. They said it is the best 3D Sonic Title thus far so that counts for a lot. I find that the majority of complaints stem from Party Mode but you guys don't have to worry about that. It's only me that really cares about that. Even still, knowing me I'll probably enjoy 30-35/40 of them.

But like I said, it depends on what you value in a Sonic game I guess. I can't wait to say that there's only one day left. By the time we get it, Rick will be on Dinosaur Jungle or Evil Foundry.
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
Talk about perfect!

See here: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=932811&topic=33722330
Canadian, FTW.
Quote: "Yeah, I called my boss this morning )I work in a future shop) and she says we should get it tomorrow by 11am, but since I'm in Canada, it could be a day or two later... "

I might even try tomorrow!! :o
If not, I'm going to FS anyways at like 11:00 Opening Time so that'll be so perfect! :D
Wiiloveit

Offline X-5

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2007, 07:38:33 pm »
time will tell! the only research i've done on this game is it's name, i'll let everything else be a suprise. (City Escape II would be cool, but I doubt it'll happen)

I never had a problem with the camera either from casual play, only very occasionally when time attacking a select few levels, but that was mainly because the shortcuts/tricks used were untraditional and stuff that wasn't meant to be done (like skipping the coaster in twinkle park/sonic)

* Paragod continues playing SA2 while impatiently waiting for the big day

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45:52 pm »
It's gonna be great for competition. :)

And the things you'll see in the game, I'm sure you'll enjoy. (But no, no City Escape :P)
I can't wait.

If only Rick were here. He's probably playing the game, laughing at us right now.
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2007, 07:50:50 pm »
That comment someone posted about this game being the new Riders... I found that an interesting comparison... Yea, this game /is/ going to be the new Riders isn't it... I guess I don't need the game after all, it's not going be to very good. >__>

Seriously though, I'm not getting this game when it comes out... I probably won't even play it in a long time.

btw camera has never been a true problem in a Sonic game, people should stop being camera nazis, it's destroying 3D gaming and tearing us apart! *runs away squealing in tears*

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2007, 07:56:33 pm »
That comment someone posted about this game being the new Riders... I found that an interesting comparison... Yea, this game /is/ going to be the new Riders isn't it... I guess I don't need the game after all, it's not going be to very good. >__>

Seriously though, I'm not getting this game when it comes out... I probably won't even play it in a long time.

btw camera has never been a true problem in a Sonic game, people should stop being camera nazis, it's destroying 3D gaming and tearing us apart! *runs away squealing in tears*

Umm... no.. Riders II is supposedly going to be announced this year. :o
But seriously, you seemed so excited for the game like me. What's with all the sudden changes?
Wiiloveit

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
Yes, people should stop being camera nazis.  I mean, it doesn't matter that you can't see where you are or where you're going, or that the controls switch all the time to accommodate that.  People should stop whining and learn the layouts, positions of traps/enemies, character quirks and camera glitches off by heart to complete the game instead of wanting to play one that's actually fun, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot Sega-hater.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2007, 08:07:34 pm »
I agree.
After a certain amount of speedrunning, SA2B isn't fun anymore.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2007, 08:46:50 pm »
I agree.
After a certain amount of speedrunning, SA2B isn't fun anymore.

Tell me about it...
Wiiloveit

Offline eggFL

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2007, 10:08:38 pm »
I have for a year looked forward to Riders 2 because I anticipated being able to see '06' next gen renditions of the Rogues. And the online play. Although after Sonic06 (and well.. Riders 1) I start to wonder if the game will even be good. Well as long as it's not like Riders 1 I'll be happy. (just watch ill come to regret saying that) If they make a racing game equivalent of Sonic06 it will still be good I think. Also I start to wonder if the game will even have online... Sonic06 didn't even have any online component... I feel naive for ever thinking that it would... but damnit. If it had online 2P, I would play it all the time. If Riders 2 doesn't have online, it will be like the biggest fail. And I have a feeling that it won't have online. It's just back-to-back frequent lowering of standards when it comes to the franchise isn't it? despite the next gen installments. Except that Sonic06 is really special.

Anyway, Secret Rings looked hot but Sonic06 left me really satisfied just being a fan. Secret Rings despite how neat it is doesn't seem stylistically superior, and it isn't the gameplay fix I'd need. In both ways it's a side release, despite being a very neat one after all. Most significant downside to it is the seemingly floaty controls and animations, just like Riders. The tricks made it look fun but even Riders had tricks and they were just as awkward as Secret Rings looks to be.

Although Shadow was essentially a side release and in retrospect, I really liked that game. (I've started remembering how great it was on my first run. Perhaps I liked Riders only because I was riding off of Shadow) Heh, so I guess Secret Rings depends on if it's the new Riders or the new Shadow.

In any case, I never really intended to own the game for myself in the first place. I intended to get a Wii for my nephew... his birthday is in 3 months, but he is moving in 1 month. ('housewarming present') and he's still playing Gamecube. Somehow just having it in the family is good enough for me. Besides, I don't even have the money or feel like spending so much just for another console for myself... teaming up with family to get it for him is the only way I can reasonably afford one. Although I realize in that case I may not be able to play it for myself for... well maybe even a very long time. It depends. But I'm cool with that.

SA2B is a masterpiece. I played it to death but I come back every time to realize that. What's this about memorizing everything in a level. It's the 2D games in which you can't see beyond the end of the screen in all directions. Being able to play in 3D is a god given gift. It works. I've also realized that being in 3D in itself makes a game better. SA2B camera has never been a peeve for me. The stages are very straightforward, except for Knuckles stages which give you free camera control.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2007, 02:47:12 pm »
I've also realized that being in 3D in itself makes a game better.
Sorry, but I fail to see the logic behind that. If I'm following that train of logic correctly, it literately means that 3D games are innately superior to 2D games by sole virtue of being in 3D. By that logic, that would mean that Drake and the 99 Dragons (average score of 2.05/10), Bomber Man Act Zero (3.5/10), and Super Man 64 (2.3/10) are innately better than games such as Mega Man Zero 2 (8.2/10), Viewtiful Joe (9.2/10), and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (9.3/10) because they're in 3D. Not being able to see beyond the end of the screen should not be an issue if the level design is solid. Take the MMZ or Castlevania series for example. Those are challenging games, but cheap deaths because you couldn't see whats ahead do not occur very often in those games (although it does occur a lot in 2D Sonic games). Most of the challenge there is from nasty bosses and enemy placements, not bad level design. (Most 2D Sonic levels are fine, the cheap shot issue is just something that needs some form of fixing such as giving the player more room to look around by having the game on a non-portable console.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2007, 02:54:07 pm »
Within reason.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2007, 03:09:29 pm »
I know. Extreme comparisons are a tactic used in sarcasm and satire to point out some major flaw in something. Anyway, here's the first official review posted on game rankings. http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932811.asp Gaming Age gave Sonic 06 an F BTW, meaning that this game must be a major improvement. According to them, the controls are near perfect. The only real problems they had with the game was that it had a nasty level of difficulty and the party games are hit or miss. A true redemption for the series.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2007, 03:16:15 pm »
I've seen it.
GameFAQs is useful for something :/

Offline eggFL

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2007, 03:19:30 pm »
If you thought I meant that all 3D games are hands down better than the best 2D games, well I didn't.

Here's my observation. Rather than sticking to 2D or 3D, Megaman X7 flip flops between both. Ultra fail. However, the 3D segments, are generally better than the 2D, and are even better the more '3-dimensional' the areas are. Those areas are inherently more fun and more interesting than the handicapped, ugly rendition of classic 2D Megaman forced into 3D graphics could ever be. Being able to move and explore in 3D is an undeniable blessing and an advantage that some developers just seem flat out afraid to take advantage of in some cases.

Also, very ironic you mention Viewtiful Joe against Bomberman Act Zero in your comparison... when both games are 2D and 3D. Both of those games have 2D gameplay using 3D graphics. You have failed, my friend.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2007, 03:50:32 pm »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

Re: TSC and the Secret Rings (*Spoilers*)
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »
OMG!!!

Read this, taken from: http://www.familyfriendlygaming.com/Reviews/2007/Review%20Sonic%20and%20the%20Secret%20Rings.html

"The genie part of this game seems way more fantasy to me, and does not get occultic. Sonic takes a fiery dart for Shahra, and this selfless act costs him. Still this sacrifice is very honorable. At times Sonic cares more about fun than stopping the evil character, but that is more of Sonic having fun while stopping evil. "

:o!!

More spoilers and other info as I learn of them
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:45 pm »
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3157332
Haha! 7.5

Saw you post that on GFAQS. :P

Summary:
"Although Sega deserves praise for Secret Rings' innovative single-player adventure, the less said about the four-player party mode, the better. It's another low-budget Mario Party rip-off that stretches out a few weak gameplay concepts into multiple multiplayer contests. Seriously, the haphazard canoeing mechanic barely works -- why make four different variations of it? A few bright spots (a clever violin-playing contest, catching fruit on skewers) don't make up for the poorly executed whole. Stick with the main game -- you can surely do multiplayer Wii-waggling better elsewhere."

I told you multiplayer was the main thing they had probs with. But I don't care aobut revies unlike others here so that's a relief for you all that the Main Game is excellent, I'll bet.
Wiiloveit

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2007, 03:59:09 pm »
Updated Wii status.

The site I use to get info on any Wiis at a local Wal-Mart has crapped out and replaced with something that is 100% unreliable.  There are several other things I want (like a 360 and Sonic '06, as well as Diddy Kong Racing DS), and I can't cash my $250 check until I know I can get to a Wii.  As a result, anything Wii-related will have to wait until May 2007 at the latest.  By then, Wiis should be readily available.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2007, 05:37:32 pm »
-Alright. This game is getting some pretty good reviews. Based on what I've read, I'm most likely going to have much more fun playing this game than I did Sonic 06 (such a disappointment when I really think about it due to all of its bugs, camera problems, cut content, boring hunting/hunting like stages with Knuckles and Rouge, etc.)
Here's my observation. Rather than sticking to 2D or 3D, Megaman X7 flip flops between both. Ultra fail. However, the 3D segments, are generally better than the 2D, and are even better the more '3-dimensional' the areas are. Those areas are inherently more fun and more interesting than the handicapped, ugly rendition of classic 2D Megaman forced into 3D graphics could ever be. Being able to move and explore in 3D is an undeniable blessing and an advantage that some developers just seem flat out afraid to take advantage of in some cases.
-Sorry for going off topic for a second. From the reviews I read, the general consensus was the exact opposite. The 2D sections were regarded as better from a gameplay perspective. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/454/454630p2.html http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=294939
-Gamebrink just gave it an 8.1 with the gameplay getting an 8.75.

Print

Hits: 507 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.