don't click here

How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?

Print

Author Topic: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?  (Read 700872 times)

Offline X-5

Re: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:08 pm »
that is cool that you got a better camera now. A shame neither of us taped our 2:07 runs though huh? regardless of quality it would of been great to have. But like I said, running the game through the vcr lowers the picture quality on the tv substantially and makes it harder to play the game. (Amazing I got so many great runs on tape, looking back at it..especially CE!)

About your comment to Zealous, my guess for his lack of competition is that he is probably just growing out of playing competitively, by the way he types I would guess he is 20 to 25 years old now. He probably has a demanding life, leaving him with little time and probably even less interest in playing SA2B for times. Like I said before though, he still shows interest in watching other player's hard work for his level.

Let me guess.. on SU, you are constantly moving forward and your job is to move left and right and jump and such right? Definitely totally different than SA2, and is the reason why the game looks really unfun for me to ever play :( I like having the freedom to move where I wish, it sucks being stuck on a set path and kills the fun of adventuring.

I hope to see you take some new FR records when you're in that mood! M5 is just begging to be beaten because its record is so bad.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • TSC: PoT
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2009, 04:50:46 pm »
Yeah, you are right, but honestly, I never know when a good run is about to come, and just leaving the camera on is a pain, since the files are not extremely big anyway, but I also have to convert it before being able to cut it, and that also takes forever >_<

Possibly, but his last submission here was like mid 2007, so he can't have gotten too old yet ^_^ And I somehow get the feeling that if he comes back, 2:07 (or the perfect 2:06:9x) will be broken.

SU isn't onrails like SSR, but the level layout is indeed pretty linear. And even when there is platforming, there's just a faster path right next to you...
While there are some fun gameplay elements like drifting and sidestep, your hands will surely move much less than when speedrunning any SA2 stage.
Then again, Adabat1 has some awesome platforming that can't be bypassed by any other way, so that's proof and hope that someday, maybe stages will focus a little more on platforming.

Yes, I have started playing FR for real now again. Played for 2 hours now, and I'm halfway back in there. Sure, the precision and perfect timing are missing, but at least the reflexes are back.
I'm planning to record at least a 2:12 with my new camera, which then will be hopefully in better quality than the last one (which was absolutely terrible -__-).

My Channel: www.youtube.com/finalrush7
- Paragod is the best Sonic/Shadow SA2:B player ever.

Offline X-5

« Reply #272 on: April 27, 2009, 08:11:22 pm »
2:28 In final chase!! excellently awesome time my friend! I knew a time much lower than mine was possible, and you got a really great improvement over the record I set. An improvement the level really needed.

Did you use any checkpoints? (I believe I did use 1 in my run) Did you have what felt like a good run? bad? almost perfect? Just wondering how far the level could go for you, and maybe me if there is any competition for us there.

Also it has been a while since we talked, how have things been going for you? Good I will hope..everything has been getting better for me everyday!

oh and I almost forgot.. did you get this run on video?

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2009, 11:26:51 am »
Thanks a lot! Even though it only took like a week, I was playing for hours a day and was constantly annoyed be these stupid tubes.

I did use 2 checkpoints in my run, it took me like 4-5 tries to get a good time at checkpoint 0:41(the one where there is a 10ring box right in front of you) because of the tubes. I also used the very last checkpoint because I still have to find a good way on the last spring. As I mentioned in my comment of the record, this spring was takes perfectly. I landed exactly on it, the camera didn't even have time to change to the other view!

I felt this run was really good overall, though there's still at least 3-4 seconds to shave off. Right at the beginning, I was already off half a second, but I decided to continue as I wasn't really going for the record anyway, I just wanted to beat F-Man's time. I reached the first checkpoint at a high 41, which is one of my best times there. After that, it took me some tries to get a good (nowhere near perfect) time at the next part filled with lots of tubes. I reached the next checkpoint at 1:19, though I don't know whether it was high or low as I didn't restart there. I also skipped the next checkpoint, and I didn't even take a look at when I passed it.

Actually, I can't even remember my time at the last checkpoint, I just know that I hit the last AC in front of the tube at 2:14. I also skipped the second to last spring, and yeah, got VERY VERY lucky at the last spring. Oh well, I started with 48 lives and finished with 38.

I have also found some possibilities of cuts, but I have to go further into them. I'll let you know as usual. I believe that without considering new cuts, this level could go to 2:27 or even a very high 2:26 if there are no checkpoints used and the tubes play along nicely, though I would say that there is a lot of luck involved when it comes to the tubes.

Yeah, it's definitely been a while! I saw that you subscribed to my channel, and I can say that I will have a vid of Final Chase up soon. I'll probably only do it to show what I do different than F-Man's 2:33 one, so I may start with 99 lives, as I doubt I'll be able to beat my 2:28 that quick. Even though I haven't seen your 2:31 vid, I'm pretty sure you'll notice at least one part where I will be able to improve, and it may help you to improve as well should you decide to compete with me again :D

Then again, I'd guess that you'll probably first try in Metal Harbor, as sonicguitar has beat you by like a second and that only because he used Brian's gravity control, meaning you already know how to lower you time.

I have been great, actually, and it's nice to hear that you have been well, too. Btw, what do you mean, everything's been getting better?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2edqbuu.jpg
^Because, you know, some still don't trust me <_<
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:35:34 am by PoT »

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
So I've been experimenting with first-rail dismounts in Final Chase, in such a way that I get gravity control. Because for some reason this method lets you do it without being in bounce, it's possible to turn and adjust your downward slope, but if you get too close to horizontal, you get kicked out of gravity control automatically.

As you may know, the "default" kill plane in Final Chase ends a manageable distance to the right of the starting position. On exactly one occasion, I was able to drift far enough to the right to get past the kill plane and get stuck in an endless fall. That line of attack doesn't even offer any promising landing spots except straight to the goal ring, if that's possible...is it?

From the start, Tails needs to free-fall for 23 seconds before dying. Shadow, on the other hand, needs only 10 (this increases to 13-15 if you're falling diagonally, and hence slower on the down vector). Tails does start further up the rail than Shadow does, but it's not a very significant difference--worth no more than a second. Does Shadow actually fall faster than Tails? If not, did they move around the kill planes? (Where the kill plane runs out for Tails, there's a turnaround barrier if you try playing as Rouge, so having some aspects of the stage change depending on character isn't inconceivable.)

Whatever the answer to falling speed, is Shadow capable of faster orthogonal movement in freefall than Tails is? After clearing the kill plane, you have to double back in order to line up with the goal, and Tails can't even cover the needed distance before falling too low to reach the goal, unless he starts hovering again. It's doubtful that Shadow could make it without even the possibility of hovering, but you never know...

Alternatively, might there be a way of swinging the angle of gravity control around so you can slowly cover a 180 (or, I guess, a 130 since that's about what you need) and try to reach the goal ring in diagonal fall?

I guess the point is this is some of the fun stuff we can try out once DC or GC TASing becomes usable enough.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2009, 01:12:53 pm »
Great time Final! This stage sure is one of the most annoying to me mainly because of those tubes, you got a great time, CONGRATULATIONS!!! It`s good to see you playing SA2 again, it`s been a while.

Surely you`re a very smart person SM, everything you say about physics, kill planes and such is correct, I do my own analysis of these things but your knowledge sure is greater than mine, that`s the cause I`m asking you 2 questions(If you don`t mind to share your knowledge):

1- When you discover a method to get through some doors or walls, do you discover them randomly or you can see them through a software or such?

2- And kill planes, do you keep dying until you find it`s limit or a broken part of it?

My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2009, 02:19:55 pm »
Great time Final! This stage sure is one of the most annoying to me mainly because of those tubes, you got a great time, CONGRATULATIONS!!! It`s good to see you playing SA2 again, it`s been a while.

Thanks a lot, Brian! Final Chase sure has its annoying points, and I don't really feel safe unless I enter it with 30+ lives <_<
Yeah, I mainly started playing SA2 because my 360 got RRoD'd, and I yeah, I knew it was possible to break the 2:31, as Paragod said himself, but I wouldn't have thought to do it so quickly.

Btw, I just had some time left and was able to make a vid with the time of 2:31:45.
Since that doesn't even beat Paragod's time, I will try to get a better time on vid until the end of this week. If I don't manage that, then I'll just upload this vid since it still shows some nice little tricks some may not know about.

Also, o_O @ SM for experimenting on every single stage in every single corner with more than just one character. Also that sub1 vid of Tails' Final Chase was new to me.

Offline X-5

« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:42 pm »
yeah those tubes are one of the reasons a run as perfect as our 2:07's on FR is probably impossible, there will always be a lot of room for improvement in this level, probably 2 or 3 seconds no matter what. Unless one of us nails that insane perfect and lucky run that will never happen again. The tubes are not about luck, but you have to be so perfect with aiming your homing attack to not slow down on them it probably can never be mastered consistently.  Practice may prove me wrong though, I used to think I would never master a few of your FR shortcuts..and.. I easily did :P Also I saw your other topic asking about how the tubes work, it seems to me like it is a matter of the timing of the homing attack and where at on the tube you hit, from there it seems like you have to work the control stick just right or else you slow down. That is all I can say really, maybe all of us in this topic can figure it out. It also seemed like the tubes went much smoother when I played on the DC version...

I don't blame you for using those two checks, the tubes suck and trying to hit the spring at the very end is really hard. The tubes and that last spring are what makes me think a perfect checkpoint free run is never going to happen. For reference my best checks were 0:41 and 1:19 as well(I Forgot what time the last check was)

I found some tactics better than F-Man's too, but you probably found even more. I do hope to see a video, maybe in the process of making your tricks video you will end up with a new record!

I don't know if I will try for metal harbor, I think the DC version has some kind of advantage at the end or something because he only got to the last checkpoint half a second faster than me, and he lost 0.2 on the rocket compared to me so he should of finished about 0.3 faster, but instead he is faster by 1.3! Who knows.. I suck at playing on the DC version so if it is really advantaged by a second I will pass for now, his run is really incredible though either way! Everything was perfect like mine, and the new shortcut was cool to see. I never expected to be beaten by anywhere near as much was I was, I thought my run was perfect, only to be surpassed by perhaps a tenth or two.

Good to know things are still great for you, as for me well just a little bit of everything has been getting better, I can explain it in detail later.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:52 pm »
I guess arriving with only positive things sure isn't my thing. Well, let's go with the good things first.
I was able to record a video, finally. And it also lowered my time to 2:28:37! I still made some slight mistakes, and the tubes and last spring were only decent, but I didn't want to lose more than 30 lives, and I managed that.
Stupidly enough, I used a third checkpoint...the one right after the 1:19 one (which I hit at 1:20 in the recorded run). It was somewhere around 1:35, though that might be off.

So yeah, I already edited the the vid, and it's ready to be uploaded. Well, here's the problem. Remember when I said I couldn't upload pics on my Photobucket account? I think something is wrong with my internet settings, as now Youtube tells me that there's an unkown error causing my upload to fail. That happened on Photobucket as well, but I was also to upload pictures on tinypic.
I will see if I can fix this, else I'll call the support center on Monday.

So if you can't wait for the vid, you can PM me your MSN adress or just tell me to upload it on sendspace/radipshare (if that works in my case now) so you can DL it afterwards.

I guess you are right about the tubes, and I can also easily tell you that you are able to master any shortcut because you've got the skill.
My best time on the last check is 2:06:xx and I found a really fast way to the AC you have to kill.

That would be too bad, actually. I hate version differences, well, mostly because DC has quite a lot of advantages over the GC version...
Oh well, I'm looking forward to hear how everything's been getting better for you as I'm glad to hear that a friend is doing great!

EDIT: Wow, sonicguitar now has a 1:11 on Metal Harbor 1.... o_O
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:11:20 pm by PoT »

Offline X-5

« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09:25 pm »
cool, just like I said you got a new time whilst trying to get a semi-decent tricks video for everybody!

I do desperately want to see it, but if it is too much of a hassle now I can wait until you fix whatever problem is going on. I don't see why you could still get online yet not be able to upload videos.. maybe you could try turning your connection off and back on? that and restart your pc as well.. who knows, but it definitely sucks. :(

You must have some great tricks near the end, cause even when I had 1:19 checks I definitely did not see 2:28 happening for me, maybe 2:32 or the 2:31 I got. But I did see a much faster check being possible(1:16 or so probably, thanks to the damn tubes) F-Man had a 0:43 first check and still got a 1:19 mid check.. I know we will easily see sub 2:25 and beyond if we work hard on it! But til then I need to see your tricks, cause 2:28 would be a near perfect run for me :P

1:11 on metal harbor is just plain crazy.. He had a much better rocket this time(13.00 instead of 12.50) and he used brian's other tricks through the run. His jump to the goal ring was awesome, that definitely saved a lot of time over what I do, but he got to the first check(0:22) about half a second slower than I usually do so 1:10 is possible! Which is just plain ridiculous, but really cool. I think he also starts the boarding part faster than I do, I think that is where the DC advantage is but I am not sure. If he can get 1:10, that would be a really cool time.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
http://rapidshare.com/files/227891191/Final_Chase_new_Record.wmv.html

There it is! ^
Had to switch the music as my video converter totally screws with it. It definitely wasn't too big of a thing for me to upload it, but it's still very annoying that I can't get it on YouTube. (And upload pics on Photobucket for that matter.)

I can't really see a 0:40 checkpoint happening, but 1:17 for example seems doable if the tubes are done well, which definitely didn't happen in this vid. I was just thankful that I didn't get stuck in the like usual. And I'm still annoyed by the fact that I used a mid checkpoint due to the game not changing the camera position like always resulting in my death. Oh well..

I haven't seen the 1:11 run yet, but I'm gonna do that now.

Offline X-5

pretty good run, but man you definitely lost up to 5 seconds on the tubes.. maybe even more. The ending was really cool, you completely skipped the chaos and the spring! that definitely saved a ton of time, sometimes I would skip the spring by luck but nowhere near as fast as you did.

I played some SA2B last night but I am really out of practice.. as if all my precision is gone or something :( I will try some FC later.

you're really close to the M5 record too which is cool, I am guessing under 2:40 will be easy for you. You really are the master of the "Final" levels!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Thanks, but 5 second sure is a lot. Watched the vid again and I still can't really see where these 5 seconds come from. I guess I must be underestimating the getting stuck on a tube ones <_<

I also noticed that skipping the spring is possible by luck, but after only a few tries I was able to do it easily in normal mode. (Much harder in Mission 5 because it seems like the tube's gravity got stronger and you usually can't make it to the platform.)

Don't worry about getting out of practice, that always happens. It should take you more than 1 day to get fully back in. But yeah, I'll leave my time at this, as I will wait and see how you do on the stage. I know you usually do without checkpoint, but I can tell you that it will get hella frustrating, so don't hold back on using one or two.

Yeah, sub2:40 shouldn't be too difficult, as the first part of the tubes got seemingly easier. In exchange, the last part became much more difficult. -__-

You really are the master of the "Final" levels!
Thank you!! :)

EDIT: I guess you were right about the loss of 5 seconds or more. I just played Mission 5 again, and without much difference aside from better tubes, I was able to lower my M5 time to 2:35.02.
Awesome! ^_^
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:20:06 pm by PoT »

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
You're making me become afraid of you, what kind of food are you eating? This time is just awesome, Paragod is right, you're the Finals master! Good luck on the tubes o/
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
You're making me become afraid of you, what kind of food are you eating?

I could ask you the same, Mr. Brian "second place on SA2 times and 1st in Mission 2 times" Pso!!

Thanks btw ;)

A friend uploaded it for me, but it's finally up... d<_<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcKuX8u0Ao
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:11:34 pm by PoT »

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
I could ask you the same, Mr. Brian "second place on SA2 times and 1st in Mission 2 times" Pso!!

Thanks btw ;)

A friend uploaded it for me, but it's finally up... d<_<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcKuX8u0Ao
Thx too :D. Aweesome video, I've already downloaded it when you first put it here, a lot of time can be saved in the tubes, and a 40 sec first check is possible.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Thanks. After watching the vid a few times, I can see checkpoint 0:40 being possible as well. I really do see a lot of potential correction, mostly coming from the tubes.

i'm also experimenting on a new route between checkpoint 4 and 6, skipping the 5th one. I'll see ow it works out.
Also thanks for the comment on YT, too bad I'm only average on levels that don't start with "Final". <_< lol

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
Thanks. After watching the vid a few times, I can see checkpoint 0:40 being possible as well. I really do see a lot of potential correction, mostly coming from the tubes.

i'm also experimenting on a new route between checkpoint 4 and 6, skipping the 5th one. I'll see ow it works out.
Also thanks for the comment on YT, too bad I'm only average on levels that don't start with "Final". <_< lol
Yeah 40 is possible, I'm waiting for this new route.

You're not average, you're only out of pratice, if you keep playing any stage you'll be as good as you're in the Finals.

I'm uploading a video for Son1cgu1tar and Paragod to help them in Metal Harbor, it shows a new shortcut which I was thinking to do a long time ago, it's a loop skip. It's better this way, Son1cgu1tar seems to have control over my head, he do everything I think to do in this stage xD.

Edit: I don't know if it's youtube or my connection is fucking me up, I could upload the video but youtube is still saving my changes, so it doesn't have keywords, but here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bcWfkJ6Gs
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:55:03 pm by Brian_pso »

Offline X-5

2:35 on mission 5 is plain awesome! I can't believe I am 19 seconds worse than you.. I watched F-Man's run again, if you could get tubes like him you'd of had sub 2:25..plus there's improvements not related to the tubes, so who knows how far this will go.. you are the sole reason 8 seconds was cut off of final rush, I bet you can help cut off more than 8 on this one! With a few new tricks and a good run we will probably see at least sub 2:20.. but I need to start actually playing instead of messing around..this one is not going to be as fun as final rush though :(

I will probably need a checkpoint, but no more than two. Maybe one if I do great on the tubes, but I almost always need one for trying to hit that damn final spring. I always land on the tube high up or die!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Really nice shortcut, Brian!! I didn't think it would be possible when you're nowhere near the max speed. I'll try that out now to see how it works.
Very strange thing happened to me today when I was playing Metal Harbor. I was messing around in the area with the first 4 rings, and fell off to the right. Not too much there, I was expecting to die as usual and start the level over. But then, as I reached the surface of water, I was able to walk on the water for like half a second, and then Sonic fell into it as usual and died. Very strange, I'll see if I can discover something there. Imagine walking on water the whole time as you make your way to the goal ring (I know that won't happen...). Then again, I'm not really sure I want to experiment there too much knowing that if I do find something there, I wouldn't be able to hold myself back from telling anyone, and that would completely ruin Metal Harbor's competition...
I'll just leave it at this post hoping nothing ever gets discovered in this case.

Yes, Paragod, I was quite amazed when I took a look at the clock and it showed me a 2:35. I was expecting a 2:38 run, but this was insane. I know it wasn't even near a perfect run, but the tubes did do a good job that time.
Don't worry about being 19 seconds behind, after only a few tries you'll catch up quite quickly. I even think you might not have really tried for that one, actually XD

I'm definitely not the sole reason for the cut of 8 seconds. You greatly helped as well. Don't believe me? Just reread all the posts in here ^_^
You even knew your 2:15 run was imperfect! Ahh, good times, I'll never forget your words: "This is the Final Final Rush video!"

I also know it won't be as fun as it was on Final Rush, our little competition, but maybe we can get close? Whatever, I'll just wait for you to get into the game and the level again, and then we'll see how things work out. Meanwhile I'll just see if I can find a new cut in Final Chase.

Offline X-5

Well I finally got into playing again tonight, and I am starting to get decent again! I played about 25 minutes of final chase and have some useful notes.

First a 40 first check is possible, cause I got a 40.5, which was not perfect. It can probably go to 39! I had a run where I got a 1:18 mid check, which was with a sucky 42 first check. The tubes went pretty well, but not quite perfect. I hit the last chaos at 2:13 which is the same speed as your 2:28 run, but I just cannot skip the second to last spring like you. Plus I got stuck on the gravity tube trying to hit the last spring. Of course :P

For checkpoint abuse, I don't know if you figured this out or not yet but the ONLY checks that are a good idea to restart at is the 0:40 check(cause of the tubes) and the 1:34 check. You can lightdash the chain of rings from the 1:34 check to instantly get up to speed, compared to restarting at the final check(2:06?) you lose about half a second or more cause you have to spindash up to speed. Kinda like the 1:20 check in FR, that one really wasted time. The ground you cover from 1:34 to 2:06 is easy to do every time anyway, so there's no reason to waste time with the 2:06 check.

anyway this won't be as bad as I thought, the biggest obstacle stopping me from beating you is skipping the second to last spring....and...actually hitting the last spring. heh :P I always get it the other way around and screw everything up :(

I'm definitely not the sole reason for the cut of 8 seconds. You greatly helped as well. Don't believe me? Just reread all the posts in here ^_^
You even knew your 2:15 run was imperfect! Ahh, good times, I'll never forget your words: "This is the Final Final Rush video!"

you're still the sole reason.. had you not ever wanted to compete in the level, the record would still be sitting at 2:15. We both contributed, but you were the motivation to play.

I will be looking for new cuts too, it is guaranteed we will find at least a few..

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
I played like 15 mins of Final Chase right now and got rewarded.
40.57 mid check
1:16:xx (not restarted, but I know it must have been high)
2:03.79 last check

The tubes were exceptionally nice to me in this run, I never got stuck and only lost about one second. Hit the last AC at a high 2:10. The first spring skip didn't go that well, might have lost half a second, but on the other hand, I instantly hit the last spring when I homing attacked the tube (which I didn't even hit, coincidentaly), all resulting in a new awesome time of 2:25.30 !!

I'm also experimenting on the following: When you hit a tube with full speed, you usually get sent flying in a direction. Now, I have sometimes been thrown up the distance of a complete tube, so if I can get this to work, the very first two tubes will save another full second.
And the new route I was talking about....forget it, it doesn't work..

You are right about the issue of losing time at the 2:05 check but I might have figured a way to skip the platform with the 1:36 checkpoint, so yeah.. >_<

Offline X-5

Now that is the kind improvement FC needed! It sounds great.. very well done master final! this one will be really tough to beat, even if I master the spring skip. Will we see a video?

Yeah I have at times been shot all the way up a tube if I homing attacked it just right, though it is rare and usually does not work out right. to me it seems too random to use as a strategy.. but we can try it if you think it can work.

You are right about the issue of losing time at the 2:05 check but I might have figured a way to skip the platform with the 1:36 checkpoint, so yeah.. >_<
oh.. well that sucks, but until you figure that out it is a good thing to keep in mind.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Will we see a video?

Unfortunately not, as I didn't expect an good run when only turning it on "for fun". >_<

A tip for the spring skip: if you're on the side of the camera when jumping off the tube, you're most probably not going to make it, so try to be on the other side of the camera (the one nearer to the platform)
Just hope you get lucky with not getting stuck on the tube, and after killing the AC and homing attacking the tube, you'll go around it 1.5 times before jumping off.

Else I'll do an example video if you're really having trouble.

Offline X-5

Unfortunately not, as I didn't expect an good run when only turning it on "for fun". >_<
ha..of course.. you always get the good run when you are not even trying. :P not a huge loss though, since we will manage to take it lower soon enough.

I am having trouble, but I would think your 2:28 video is enough, because it shows me how you do it. I will follow your advice and see how it goes.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
Both of you make me want to play Final Chase only to see if I could get in this rush for the perfection :D, but I'll only play with you when I finish some other business with Metal Harbor, I have a new beginning route that can save some tenths, making me believe a sub 23 in mission 3 is possible ;D. Good luck with Final Chase.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
True... School is starting to bug me again (and probably won't stop for the next 1.5-2 months), but whenever I get the time I'll play SA2, and if I can manage to get some 2:25 runs consistently, I'll definitely do a vid. I played a little this morning, and nothing worthwhile came out.. <_<

As for you, Brian, even though I'm not that good at Metal Harbor I can see that this stage is pretty near maxing, so not only will it be hard to find new cuts, but they also won't save you that much time. I sincerely hope you can finish your goal there and join us in the Final Chase one, which has most probably more potential than Final Rush. Maybe even the time will come when we find out the secret behind these tubes..
And 3 people are always better than 2 ;)

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
I gave a shot at Final Chase today and got 2:34, to me it's an awesome time, since it beats my previous one by 9 secs. About Metal Harbor, my new route works but it saves no more than 1 tenth and is very very very difficult to do :/, but it's ok.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
I've got 2 new records!!! I've got my friend's camera yesterday and put all of my effort in taping good runs, and I did it, I taped 3 runs my 2 mission 3 records and a Green Hill run 'cause I really like this stage, and I've taped another thing, a very fast way to get 99 lives, it's the same method SM used but I've found a way to die a lot faster, without needing to wait for the beetle to attack you, it takes no more than a minute to do. See yall o/

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Awesome new times, Brian! I guess sub1 is possible on Radical Highway.
Also your first try at FC with 2:34 is really good as well, you could easily go sub2:30 if you wanted.

I'm not sure if we have the same way to do the 99 lives trick, but I pretty much get 99 lives in 35 seconds or so..

And you're not the only one with a record :D
Even though I've got some small headache, I was able to beat F-Man's m3 record in FC after almost 4 hours of straight playing. New record is: 2:36.20
I must say that it was really really hard to beat the last tube, and also really hard to skip the last pull thing and directly jump to the platform...

Print

Hits: 80 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.21s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.