don't click here

The Official Top Tens Topic

Print

Author Topic: The Official Top Tens Topic  (Read 801023 times)

Offline F-Man

Re: The Top Ten Sonic videos in TSC's history! [IN COUNTDOWN MODE]
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2006, 01:47:14 pm »
See, by acting skeptical, and having people following, I convinced him to do it.

It was all a strategy! And it worked! >_>

But srsly, nice vids. I see you guys are aiming for diversity. I'm hoping for another SA vid...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2006, 02:21:28 pm »
I was going to do it anyway >_>

Also PK: Right after I finish TSCA. Which is slated for release the very same day that Duke Nukem Forever will be released!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #332 on: October 20, 2006, 02:35:48 pm »
I'll check out the S3DB one later, but I definitely agree at yoshifan's Westopolis video being up there.  That's probably as perfect as anyone can get.  It seems like a video that could be duplicated, but would be very difficult, since no one's come close to 1:20 (in yoshifan's strat comment, he said it took him 7 hours to get what was shown in the video).

So does the list have a name now, since it "Was Without A Name"?

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #333 on: October 20, 2006, 02:59:24 pm »
glad Westopolis made it...just shows how the stage would go if everything worked.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2006, 01:01:19 am »
Wow, didn't expect Westopolis to be so high on the list.  I honestly didn't think it would make it after seeing some of the other choices.

And congratulations to everyone else who made the list.  Until this idea came about, I hadn't thought much about the sheer number of great videos on the site; there are easily more than 50 that would really impress me.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the top 3 choices will be.

Also, thanks to everyone for the support.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2006, 01:06:10 am »
As usual, there comes a point where we approach the end of the list. The list has already thrown up a couple of great videos, while here in the top three are probably the standouts from TSC's three years.

Here's #3! I believe this one was foreshadowed by douglas earlier... if you missed it, here it is.

TSC's GREATEST VIDEOS #3
Sonic Advance 2 - Leaf Forest 1 - Sonic - 29"75 [NintenDan]

If you never wanted a rubber thumb, I bet you did after watching this. This is the best example on the site of NintenDan's incredible airdash thumb which nobody seems to be able to match. According to Sprint, he should be banned for ignoring relativity or something.

Of course, even once you can do that, you have to have a path, hold boost mode, and make best use of your airdashes, and as usual NintenDan does this with absolutely no trouble. And of course he broke the magical 30 second barrier which nobody could or has done.

Congratulations to Taco (again!)

<<The List With A Name That RPG Won't Tell Me>>

#10: Ice Cap Tails (SA)
#9: Cosmic Wall Mission 1 Score (SA2B)
#8: Egg Rocket 1 Knuckles (SAdva)
#7: Isolated Island 1 (KC)
#6: Final Chase 1 (SA2B)
#5: Green Grove 1 (S3DB)
#4: Westopolis Normal (Shadow)
#3: Leaf Forest 1 Sonic (SAdva2)
#2: ???
#1: ???

Slight changeup here. So that you don't know #1 for a full day, RPG and I will each do one of the top two on the 23rd. Just as a hint, I'm going to tell you that we'll be showcasing the very best of 2D and 3D on TSC's third birthday. Anyone care to take guesses at what more is left? (I should've done this earlier >_>)

<3 Thorn.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2006, 02:39:44 am »
#2: Aero Egg (SAdv2)
#1: Green Hill (SA:2)
Let's hope the next format is a little more inclusive, such as top 2D and 3D players.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2006, 02:53:38 am »
Aero Egg doesn't look likely at all, as it's only 5.58 on a level where 5.50 has been many times achieved.  I'd make a 5.50 video, but it would require that I get a VBA save file that has boss mode unlocked (all emeralds with 2 characters).

mike89 said he was looking for longstanding times.  Something like my Oil Ocean 1 comes to mind.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2006, 06:15:40 am »
I will eat my own foot if it's Aero egg*.  Even if it was a 5:50, it's only one well-timed jump as opposed to the millions present in all these other vids.

Nice one Taco, definitely deserved.  Iono what the last ones'll be because they're likely 3D ones, and you might've noticed that's not my field >_>.

*if you change it just to see me eat my foot, this doesn't count
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2006, 08:54:20 am »
Coincidentally, I decided to check out this video yesterday, and today, it's placed at #3.  The video rocks, even though I don't have the game.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2006, 09:03:43 am »
Green Hill for first is a given. It's a combination of all the techniques needed to do well in SA2. Which is true about most SA2 vids. But I mean Cybrax's Green Hill is insane.

As for 2D, I'd say either SM's Oil Ocean or Sprint's Palmtree Panix. Neither have been represented thusfar. I'm leaning towards Oil Ocean because of Sonic 2 nostalgia, but there's also Sprint's 100% championship to consider. Or maybe the time/score is from Sonic 1 to throw us all off. But I don't think so.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2006, 10:30:19 am »
That Leaf Forest movie was an excellent vid. Congrats, once again, NintenDan. You must have a really good reputation now from this Top 10, eh?
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2006, 11:25:15 pm »
Cy's Green Hill is #1 easily. I mean, it's one of the oldest vids on the site, and yet it's NEVER been beaten.

* Spinballwizard mauled for speculation
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #343 on: October 23, 2006, 06:41:18 am »
I don't think anyone has any doubt that video will be #1.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 23, 2006, 07:26:47 am »
Okay. This list went through plenty of revisions in the 20 minutes it took me to whip it up. But after careful consideration, the best of the 2D vids on the site is...

TSC'S GREATEST VIDEOS #2

Hidden Palace Knuckles
Aquatic Ruin 1 Knuckles
Neo South Island 1
Aero Egg Sonic

Sonic 3 - Carnival Night 2 - Sonic - 2:27 [SadisticMystic]

(20 invisible cool points to yoshifan for picking this correctly in the chat.)

This video is perhaps the best example of perseverance, planning and outright skill that you'll ever see. (Okay, one beats it for skill.)

Perhaps a quick summary will suffice. At the first checkpoint, you need exactly 35 rings (because there are only that many on the path) to get a water shield from the check, which is required to survive the >30 seconds that you will spend in the water. Later, you have to lose that shield to use the Insta-Shield ability to gain access to an area you shouldn't be able to get into, coming from underneath two 10-ring boxes. And finally, you then need to be within the ring range for another lightning shield before the boss, and bounce on it for eight (and I discovered while trying to replicate this run that it's not as easy as it seems) hits. Legend has it he took over three hours of constant recording to pull it off - and in doing so, beat the existing record (his own) by TWENTY NINE SECONDS.

The run itself contains SM's so called Stupid Shield Tricks in abundance, including but not limited to ring collecting, double jumps, and a kamikaze dive past two barrels; a couple of (to the untrained eye) unexpected shortcuts, and just to prove that SM really is human, a few little mistakes scattered about the place.

And most importantly of all, nobody who watches the video will ever forget how to get past the Barrel of Doom.

Congrats to SM on securing #2!

#2: Carnival Night 2 Sonic (S3)
#1: ???

Now, it's time to CROSS LIVE AMERICAN LIVE TO RPG for the revealing of the #1 selection...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:08:46 pm by SadisticMystic »

<3 Thorn.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #345 on: October 23, 2006, 07:53:13 am »
A bit of clarification:
-There are more than 35 rings on the path I chose, but I only went for the 35 most direct ones.  It's worth noting that the lightning shield carried over from act 1 is required to get those rings in any decent speed.
-I think this is a good demonstration of the checkpoint resetting the subseconds, another facet that saves a small amount of time.  You obviously can't really plan for it, but my first checkpoint was either 0:23.97 or 0:23.99 (the wonders of old 15fps recordings), making for near-maximum benefit from entering the bonus stage.  The timing at the second bonus stage didn't turn out nearly so well, but again whether you get a high or low second is beyond your control most of the time.
-The "area you shouldn't be able to get into" isn't in fact so; it was an intended alternate path, via jumping from the barrel and hitting the underside of the boxes normally to make them drop down then squeezing through the gap.  Sprint's TAS shows you can even jump through it while retaining the shield without losing time, but I still maintain that it's much easier to do with the intentional hit thrown in.
-Being in the proper ring range to get the ability to get a lightning shield in bonus stage 2 isn't that bad; you have odds 2/3 in your favor.  What really sucks is when you get that far into the run and then fail to get a lightning shield even when the stage allows for one.  Getting the hits with a water shield is much harder.
-If legend has it that I recorded for over 3 hours to get that record, then legend is wrong.  I finished the successful run 9 minutes before I would have hit that mark.
-This confirms that, as I inquired a while ago, these videos are ranked based on run quality rather than visual quality.  CN2 was put up in low-quality form because the alternative was something that's 36MB.  Maybe I'll try to get a reduced file size without losing too much quality and put that run up.  Or I could attempt the whole level over again and try to beat 2:27...yeah, not likely.  [EDIT] After solving a problem in Avidemux that swapped the U and V chromas of imported video files, I managed to export to H.264 and cut the file down from 36MB to 9.  It looks much better than the WMV version, so I've updated the link.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:11:17 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 23, 2006, 08:29:32 am »
A big hand to SM for correcting every single aspect of the run that I forgot/got wrong. And since you all seem so set on what #1 is, I'll do the honourable mentions now.

I did the honourable mentions a bit differently this time. In this case it's not so much videos that deserved entry into the top ten (because there's just too many of those to count)... Rather, I've picked out videos that have a distinct quirk. Here goes:

Eternal Engine 1 - SM - I think I should get this one out of the way. You might be feeling a bit ripped off because I described SM's vid of the same level as one of the most outstanding ones a year ago. However, I personally think that after seeing three or four iterations of what are essentially the same vid with more refining each time, it's pretty well old hat. Sorry about that. (Psyknux's EE5 would rate a similar mention, but it was submitted after the 14th and therefore wasn't eligible for selection.)

Chemical Plant 1 - Both the rings vid and RPG's Knuckles vid are breaches of TSC rules - and are in fact the only vids on the site which are, on the same level! The rings vid is a TAS (but it looks pretty cool), and the Knuckles vid actually doesn't finish the level, he dies during the tallying of points. Ironically, if he got a lesser time bonus he could've survived. X)

Aquatic Ruin 1 Knuckles - mike89 - For having the lowest frame-to-time ratio of any vid on the site. (Per RPG's request)

Cannon's Core 1 - Blaze - For having the highest real time to game time ratio of any vid on the site - 7 minutes real time (apparently with more cut out!) to 1:32 game time. And no, SM's hunting vids don't count.

Security Hall 2 - yoshifan - Because it's 44"44. And times like that are pro.

Death Egg 1 - yoshifan - One of those odd vids which presents an entirely new route while being minimally optimised - but all the while, nobody was able to beat it! It took two years before eredani finally knocked it over.

Green Hill 1 (0:25) - Why are there so many of these? One day I'm going to have to record 24 and obsolete the lot.

Final Egg - F-Man - For sheer WTF value, this takes the cake. Who would have imagined there would be a capsule in the middle of nowhere at the beginning of the stage - and better yet, that someone would be able to reach it?

Red Mountain - F-Man - For getting oh-so-close to that magical 1 minute barrier. (He later beat it, though.)

Neo South Island 1 - mike89 - Because it's a vid. For SPA. Which nobody cares about. It's proven, you know.

Dishonourable mentions go to Groudon and KS8 to putting vids on Youtube and Google Video in favour of TSC. Shame on you.

And as soon as RPG confirms what you all know, it'll be time to pack away the Top Tens for another six months. We hope you've enjoyed this edition of the list, and we'll have another list whipped up for you some time in April.

In the meantime, have fun and DON'T DO DRUGS keep on gaming!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:34:47 am by yse »

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 23, 2006, 10:26:24 am »
Ok guys, its finally here, the moment you've all been waiting for.

TSC's GREATEST VIDEO, IS.....

Anything submitted for Sonic Riders

Sonic Adventure....

2:Battle....

Green Hill - 0:26:47 [cybrax]

Bet you didnt see that coming, eh? Everyone knows why this video is #1, its the longest standing record on the site for one, the route execution is simply beautiful and the timing is masterful. This video surely showcases cybrax's skills to us at his absolute best, and its nothing short of absolutely breathtaking.

Congrats to cybrax for taking home the gold!

#2: Carnival Night 2 Sonic (S3)
#1: Green Hill (SA2B)

Well, thats it again, watch out for another Top 10 in 6 months!

~RPG & yse

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2006, 01:27:40 pm »
that vid is probably my oldest sonic vid I still have after I deleted his other old SA2 vids.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2006, 03:37:04 pm »
Well we finally made it guys. Congrats to everyone, especially cybrax for making the top spot!

Oh, and RPG, your introductory comment was jkz. Lol. :P
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #350 on: October 24, 2006, 08:35:52 pm »
Congratulations to everyone who won. :D And at least one SA video got in.

Also, yse forgot something. :( *sniff*  /me cries
Hint: it's a classic. It fights a version difference...
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 24, 2006, 10:57:51 pm »
Marth, your credit and hardwork on SA1 hasn't gone unoticed by me.

Completed Runs:

In the Future:

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 27, 2006, 04:31:17 am »
Congratulations to everyone who won. :D And at least one SA video got in.

Also, yse forgot something. :( *sniff*  /me cries
Hint: it's a classic. It fights a version difference...

OSNAP!

How could I forget Casinopolis!

I suppose I give an honourable mention to SM's 12"81 then. After all, yours was twice as long, it obviously doesn't deserve recognition! X)

<3 Thorn.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:21 am »
Yeah, congrats and stuff.  Still, it would have been nice to see a traditional top 10.  After all, you could have done that along with a gimmick one, right?  Or am I missing something that's stopping you from that?
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2006, 09:05:15 am »
Idlitis is a terrible affliction

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Top Tens Topic
« Reply #355 on: March 06, 2007, 12:19:35 pm »
Since that time of year is coming up, we need to come up with some categories for the next top 10. I've got a few. Good thing this thread is stickied or else I'd be punished for animating dead topics.
1. Best 2D player.
2. Best 3D player.
3. Best Overall (no brainer) category.
4. Most famous TSC rivalries. (Players, the game in which the rivalry took place in, and why it was famous.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 06, 2007, 07:06:29 pm »
I like that last one.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2007, 07:20:54 pm »
But mike we win that by a landslide surely. <_<

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2007, 09:35:03 pm »
Top 10 Record Crushs (records that pummel all existing records into the ground)
Top 10 Records-out-of-nowhere (seemingly maxed levels suddenly and shockingly get a new record)
Top 10 Non-TA records (Amazing SA/RA feats)
Top 10 Boss records (BAs)
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
I still say there should be a normal top ten.
Hi

Print

Hits: 644 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.30 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.