don't click here

The new games in the Sonic Series

Print

Author Topic: The new games in the Sonic Series  (Read 21252 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:05:53 am »
This thread is for discussion our opinons of the three new Sonic games coming out this year. Here's mine.
1. Sonic Gem Collection: What will be obvious is that after this game, we can expect quite a few more players in the Sonic CD and Sonic R competition. To be honest, the only games I'm really looking foward to are Sonic CD and the two Vector Man games (would rather have the Streets of Rage games). I'm rather disapointed that Knuckle's Chaotix wasn't released. IMO, it would have been better to cut a few game gear games (already in SADX) to make room for KC. Regardless, I'm still going to buy this since CD alone is worth gettting this new compliation.
2. Sonic Rush: Really looking foward to this one. Unfortunately, that's all I can say about it since there isn't very much information about this game asides from what came out of E3.
3. Shadow the Hedgehog: I know people like to complain about the gun, but I think this game has some real potential. The weapons might even add a little strategy, depth, and intensity to the combat, something that IMO, felt a little weak in previous games. I just hope the game's challenge is considerably higher than the previous 3D Sonic games (which many of us can agree were not very difficult).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:16:47 am by magnum12 »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 04:52:11 am »
For Shadow, I doubt ranged weapons would add much for time attack technique. You'll probably have to come to a standstill to shoot, so unless there is an obstacle that requires a gun, which there'll probably be some obscure way around, it'll be more about trying to get through a level without using a gun.

Melee weapons become a different matter.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 10:20:01 am »
sonic rush looks like a sonic advance 2 version of sonic 3

seriously...the first zone is that jungle type zone (angel island)
second zone is that water place (hydro city)

The water slides are even there!

Could it possible be...a secret sonic 3 remake :o >_>

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:53:33 pm »
For Shadow, I doubt ranged weapons would add much for time attack technique. You'll probably have to come to a standstill to shoot, so unless there is an obstacle that requires a gun, which there'll probably be some obscure way around, it'll be more about trying to get through a level without using a gun.

Melee weapons become a different matter.
[snapback]6097[/snapback]
It's been confirmed that Shadow will be able to run at full speed even when fireing a few rounds. From the videos I've seen, the heaviest weapons that Shadow can use at full speed so far are the sub machine gun and the Black Arms plasma gun. I think that it would be cool if Shadow can use twin weapons (light weight ones like the pistol) if players want to.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:22:50 am »
Well, yeah, I'm sure Shadow will still be able to run at peak speed even while weilding and shooting with a pistol or something, but I think CF was talking about a Sniper Rifle or something to that effect that is used at ranged distances. There is no way Shadow will be able to run around while fighting with Sniper Rifle, so if that is a gun to be used along with it being a requirement, a standstill will have to be made, losing Shadow's speed. D:

Also, melee weapons would be pwnage, but rather weird... I don't think Sega will have Shadow weild knuckles or a sword or something to that effect. :o The gun is weird enough.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:41:25 pm »
A sword has been confirmed to be one of the weapons Shadow will use. This Black Arms Sword is a dark purple color and based on its size (relative to Shadow) is a two handed sword. So far, out of 30 weapons that may see play, the following have been revealed: Pistol, sub machine gun, rocket launcher, shotgun (a preview from TeamXBox, check gamerankings.com), Black Arms plasma gun, and the Black Arms Sword. Shadow has also been confirmed to have the ability to pick up and throw stuff at his foes. So far, it seems that this game has great emphasis on player freedom; allowing the player to play the game the way he/she wants to, whether it be as a hero/villian, weaponless if they want traditional Sonic style gameplay, or going nuts with weapons (time attack style or otherwise).

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 05:59:21 pm »
Whoa, so it's been confirmed that weapons aren't a necessity? That's great news, and I like the story altering aspect of the game, getting to decide to become the hero or villian is quite interesting, and also, we maybe able to shoot Sonic with a real gun, besides Gamma's laser gun. :D

Hey, well, it's a plus for me. >.>

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 06:20:19 pm »
Rocket launcher :D
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 06:40:23 pm »
-From what I've seen, the sword is one of those powerful but slow weapons. I guess I won't be able to go into an effective Zero style rampage because of the lack of speed. However, the sword's range is decent for a melee weapon, damaging everything in a 180 degree swing.
-I've been checking a lot of previews on gamerankings.com, and from what I've read, most of the critics (such as IGN) like what they played at E3. The addition of weapons does not seem to affect the series' trademark speed based gameplay. Asides from the control problems they had, the game is turning out quite nicely. These are rumors (unsure of accuracy) about some of the methods Sega is using to fix the control problems that were reported.
1. Shadow can now lock on to enemies and strafe them.
2. Shadow's traction is being increased.
3. Shadow's acceleration is being reduced.
4. The developers are also trying to fix the game's camera, something we can all agree has been a problem with the last 3D Sonic games.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:43:41 pm by magnum12 »

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 11:11:12 pm »
Hey, sounds good. Just fixing the camera would warent me a buy, but yeah, I was skeptical about this game from the moment I heard Shadow will have a gun, but now I'm very interested, but I still can't see myself TAing this game, it just seem to weird to  picture.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 12:15:58 am »
Some more information about the game. Each stage (probably with an exception to final/near-final stages that could possibly be determined by your alignment) will most likely have 3 different missions, a light side mission, a dark side mission, and a neutral mission (just reach the goal). This gives the potential for lots of missions for players to compete in once TSC adds this game to the contests. Our traditional definition of TAing most closely resembles the neutral mission. Those missions may have great potential for TAing, especially if you play Shadow as a hero, since Chaos Control is a light side skill in this game. (The blue gauge in the videos.) Chaos Blast (the red gauge) is the dark side skill. Regardless, this game has great potential for some good score attack competitions, even if the point totals probably won't be as crazy as the ones in Sonic Heroes.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 12:23:18 pm »
Sonic Rush-
I don't have a DS (or a friend with one :p), so I don't really care.
The Game Gear stuff is unnecessary (Isn't this the third disc with GG games?),
but I don't think it's the reason that Chaotix isn't going to be included.
I just want it to be like Sonic's part of the first Sonic Adventure.
I heard that the spindash will be replaced with something else at high speeds.
Whatever it is, I hope it won't slow Shadow down. (SA2 was bad enough.)
The camera in SADX was okay. The problem was that the Free Camera
would disappear, reset, or get locked at certain times.
If the camera is like the Free Camera (and maybe with a zoom feature), it'll be okay.
(Because this game didn't originally have a stupid Auto Camera system,
there shouldn't be any of that glitchyness.)
The camera designers are idiots if they go back to SA2's system.
("Duh,  it's great to have no first-person or overhead camera,
and the players will love the camera's automatic snap-back feature
that only makes them look forward, even when there's something behind them.")
Okay, I guess I've been talking about this enough.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 09:20:52 pm »
I found this interesting post about the progress of Shadow the Hedgehog on game faqs. It's based off the notes someone at the Nintendo forums wrote. IMO, this is a very good sign regarding the game's probable quality once it hits shelfs on 11/1/05.
"I guess this will also be a good time to post someone a the Nintendo forums experience with this game at the Seattle Toy place:

(*QUOTE*)"The game played smoothly, but the frame rate skips a few times (I'm sure Sega will fix this in time for the release, along with many of the other bugs I found in the demo), but other then that everything played at a very smooth frame rate. The graphics where great, Sega spent lots of time on the new graphics engine. Shadow has a wide range of moves, X is now used to charge a spin dash or launch a sliding kick attack (Which can only be used while running), while B is used to attack with weapons or Shadow's new punches and kicks. Shadow can jump onto walls, and then run along them for a short time or jump off of them (Sometimes onto another wall), sadly you can't move up and down on the wall and Shadow will fall off the wall in a short amount of time. It's still a nice move while going up against the huge bosses. The game runs MUCH faster then any 3D Sonic game released yet, and even most 2D ones, Shadow's extremely fast running speed will shock you. Plus if you do enough good things, you can use Chaos Control, which allows you to zoom through the level faster then F-Zero GX speed (You don't have much control over it, as it goes by very fast). Even though the game is fast, it has a greater amount of combat then other games starring hedgehogs, and as most people know, you can pick up enemy's weapons after they are defeated. Luckily, this doesn't slow the game down a bit. You will end up dropping guns many times, because many enemies have shields that gun blasts won't get through, plus most of the guns have a very small amount of ammo. Gun's aren't the only weapons used though, you will be able to pick up dark, and simply huge purple alien swords.. These are simply a joy to use. Sega claims you can brake poles and use those as weapons, but this feature wasn't in the demo. As I mentioned earlier, if you do enough good things you will get to use Chaos Control, which will let you zip through the level at amazing speeds (Great way to get out of a battle), and if you do enough evil things you will get to use Chaos Blast, which will destructive blast that will destroy anything in it's path. These may sound like the team blast from Sonic Heroes, but it actually a surprising amount of depth to the game. Holding R will let you strafe, back flip, and do many other combat based moves.
The great thing about the game is something that reminds me of The Sims: the game reflects the player. The game is as violent or as none violent as you are, it's as fast or combat based as you are. As you probably know, the game lets you choose to be a good or evil, and you can change your side anytime you like. In the game there is a huge war: aliens have invaded earth, but
Dr. Eggman has invaded the aliens, but why would Eggman waste his time with a more powerful planet? That's part of the mystery, but I'm not sure if it will be solved in this game. Luckily, the game will solve the mystery of Shadow's past. Shadow is looking for the Chaos Emeralds, which have the power to return memories, how he will do this and who's side he is on is up to you. Shadow the Hedgehog will be released this winter and will be rated T for Teen. (All controls mentioned here are for the Nintendo Gamecube version)" (*end QUOTE*)"

Offline Rolken

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 07:54:58 am »
Sonic Gems is out today! Yay.

I hope ShadowtH doesn't beat you over the head with the good/evil duality the way Fable did. Goodness, that was appalling. I wonder if TAing will pretty much force people to be good and not waste time fighting. Could make score attack interesting...
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:13:26 pm »
I cant wait even more now D:

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 07:46:26 pm »
I saw that quote before. That's how I knew Shadow would
have another move instead of the spindash while running.

The "faster then F-Zero GX speed" part must be a huge exaggeration.
Either the level zips by in a fraction of a second (and the speed can't be measured),
or the levels would all have to be several miles long, which would cause
at least one of the following problems:
1. really bad framerate
2. 90% of the level not being shown (draw distance problems)
3. simple, empty graphics, like in FZGX (walls are hundreds of feet apart)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 08:11:02 am »
I saw that quote before. That's how I knew Shadow would
have another move instead of the spindash while running.

The "faster then F-Zero GX speed" part must be a huge exaggeration.
Either the level zips by in a fraction of a second (and the speed can't be measured),
or the levels would all have to be several miles long, which would cause
at least one of the following problems:
1. really bad framerate
2. 90% of the level not being shown (draw distance problems)
3. simple, empty graphics, like in FZGX (walls are hundreds of feet apart)
[snapback]6188[/snapback]

I doubt he'll go that fast, how would you manage to get around walls and obstacles?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 09:15:25 am »
You two are missing the point: the normal speed is not faster than FZGX speed. When he uses Chaos Control, it is, and you 'don't have much control' over it. It's kinda like an "end level now plz" move, I guess. And I'm already gearing toward voting to ban or freestyle that. Sounds properly gay, gameplay-wise.

Also: grr @ US for Gems.

But, we'll see who has the better games...
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 06:56:10 pm »
I guess Shadow will disappear and/or glitch through everything.
It still couldn't be GX speed, though.

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 12:21:30 am »
I don't think we should ban/freestyle the Chaos Control thing CF. It still needs to be earned by killing enemies. Maybe if there is a glitch like in Sonic Heroes to gain the bar really quickly then the glitch should be freestyle, but I don't think that the Chaos Control thing itself should be banned.
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 02:35:52 am »
I don't think we should ban/freestyle the Chaos Control thing CF. It still needs to be earned by killing enemies. Maybe if there is a glitch like in Sonic Heroes to gain the bar really quickly then the glitch should be freestyle, but I don't think that the Chaos Control thing itself should be banned.
[snapback]6205[/snapback]

No, it needs to be earned by doing 'good things'. Knowing Sega and their concepts of morals, that will be mostly not killing enemies. =/

Also I just think it makes the whole concept of a strategic time attack silly... then again, you could look at it as finding the fastest way to achieve it... so it would be like a normal time attack then, but with a shorter level. *shrug*

It just sounds too pwn for my liking.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 12:46:57 pm »
Part of the "good things" to get Chaos Control includes killing evil characters based on what I've seen in the videos. To me, this skill like a 3X speed power that lasts for about 5 seconds.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 08:17:16 am »
Part of the "good things" to get Chaos Control includes killing evil characters based on what I've seen in the videos. To me, this skill like a 3X speed power that lasts for about 5 seconds.
[snapback]6211[/snapback]

Pfft, atleast it wont give like 20 second times for levels, I guess

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 05:34:16 pm »
There's a new video of Shadow the Hedgehog that confirms that Knuckles and Rouge can become partners during certain levels along with some new alien weapon. The link is here:
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/734/734824/vids_1.html
Some new screen shots are also up, one featuring a grenade launcher. The link is here:
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/734/734824/imgs_1.html

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 07:14:54 pm »
There's a new video of Shadow the Hedgehog that confirms that Knuckles and Rouge can become partners during certain levels along with some new alien weapon. The link is here:
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/734/734824/vids_1.html
Some new screen shots are also up, one featuring a grenade launcher. The link is here:
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/734/734824/imgs_1.html
[snapback]6262[/snapback]

In those videos, we see how Chaos Control works.

See? That is faster than FZGX speed. I don't get how y'all didn't get that. o.O;;

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 05:21:31 pm »
"I guess Shadow will disappear and/or glitch through everything."

I'm about to download the video right now.
If Shadow really does go that fast, it will be almost too fast to see.
(Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I say "glitching through"
for any time that polygons go through other polygons,
even if it isn't actually a glitch.)

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 07:20:01 am »
Okay, I own FZGX, and in no way is that anywhere near a speed that is 'too fast to see'. Therefore, faster than that probably also isn't anywhere near a speed that is 'too fast to see'. I don't get why everyone thinks that FZGX is the fastest thing evar to be in videogaming, I'm sure it isn't actually all that much faster than the majority of racing games, especially the more sci-fi ones.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 06:33:21 pm »
The size is the main reason that F-Zero GX looks slower than it is.
F-Zero GX uses machines that are about 15 feet long. Shadow is only about 3 feet tall.
Think about what a Sonic stage would look like in an F-Zero game.
Even the longest stages are tiny compared to F-Zero tracks.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 06:36:48 pm »
Here's a new trailer for Shadow the Hedgehog. This one came out yesterday and mostly consists of CG cutscenes. It is official trailer 3.
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/sh...ehog/media.html

Print

Hits: 174 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.