don't click here

It sucks to be a visually Impaired Student

Print

Author Topic: It sucks to be a visually Impaired Student  (Read 8765 times)

« on: June 19, 2004, 11:44:40 pm »
I am a student at the Governor Morehead school for the Blind in Raleigh North Carlina. Being a student at this school is a living BEEP. At the following address is a letter written though by a handfull of the Highschool students at GMS. Link: http://thevgas.150m.com/GMS.html It somes up conditions that students(and Staff) have to endure on a regular basis. I have posted this here to get feedback from some outsiders on my schools condition.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 06:35:25 pm »
Wow, yeah, doesn't sound too fun. Although... why are you there? I assume you're not blind? :o
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 11:30:55 am »
You are correct I'm not blind. A common miss conception based on the school's name is that it is for Totally blind students only. A large portion of a student body have visual impairments, but aren't totally blind. I am blind in my right eye, but can see fairly well in my left. I read computer monitors and books at a distance of about 3 inches. Given proper light I've had no problem seeing GBC/GBA/GBASP screens and the GBP's screen was only hard to see in games like DKL3(Highly detailed Psuedo 3D graphics and b&w handheld don't mix). And my times in here in Sadv2 are just the tip of my videogame accomplishments. My clinical vision isn't that great, but I have supreb functional vision. In other words I don't have much, but I use what I have excellently

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 01:34:40 pm »
Wow

that I did not know

I give much credit to you Jeff!

I hope that all conflicts can be resolved to make a better enviorment for learning in your school :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 01:36:48 pm by NintenDan »

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 06:59:54 pm »
Seems like all schools are losing in funds. I don't see why schools like that should be part of it. Here in NYC, not Long Island, teachers barely get payed compared to many other jobs. A lot of regular fast food services have somewhat similar yearly incomes, or maybe just a few thousand less. New York City teachers get payed $500 a month, and our school supplies aren't the best (All low rate schools barely seem to get any funds while the leading schools in academics and other fields seems to get so much more). Our tax rate is outrageous, %0.865 for every $1.00. Yet, what do most of these funds seem to be used for? Certainly not education. Even though I don't know what they are used for :unsure:, I do know the government funds seem to all go to the military. It seems like such a waste, and now the U.S. seems to suffer. Well, at least I am going to one of the top high schools here, Stuyvesant, in Manhattan, somewhere near where the World Trade Center was.

Some of the above stuff may be inaccurately placed and interpreted  <_<
The black wind howls...  ~Janus from Chrono Trigger
Currently Playing: Pokémon Fire Red, Pokémon Leaf Green, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
IRC nick - dothack/dothax

Print

Hits: 112 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1016.89 KB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.