don't click here

About Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Print

Author Topic: About Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land  (Read 13534 times)

Offline yoshifan

About Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
Charts for Wario Land are up.  However, please don't bother submitting Coin stats yet.  Just after adding the coin charts, I've remembered one point that may hamper competition: the randomness of getting coins from breakable blocks.  Sorry for the unprofessionalism, but even though I went and added them, we must decide whether the coin charts should be kept or not.

Also, certain courses are not up for Times because we need a ruling on courses that change as the game progresses.  At certain points, courses 1, 3, and 31 get water level changes, and course 10 becomes a different course, course 13.  To compete in the before-change version of the course, you would have to start a new file (separate from the completed file you would usually use) just for that course.

So here are my questions to all of you:

(1) What should we do about the coin charts?  (a) keep them and count them toward the overall ranking, (b) keep them and don't count them toward the overall ranking, or (c) delete them?

(2) What should we do about changing courses?  (a) have one chart per changing course, just for the after-change version, (b) have one chart per changing course, allowing both versions of the course, or (c) have two charts per changing course, one for the before-version and one for the after-version?

[EDIT] Please see Reply #2 in this topic for current decisions, which should take effect fairly soon.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:38:14 pm by yoshifan »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: About Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:04:15 pm »
A) There are random ring boxes in Sonic, but we still track rings there.

C) Having new files, or savestates in many cases, shouldn't be a problem, I believe.  This is more of a taste thing than a precedent thing.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline yoshifan

Re: About Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
So in the absence of strong opinion, I think what we'll do is leave the Coin charts up and see how they turn out (whenever more people submit coin stats, that is).

We could also add all the 'different-version' level charts in question and see how they turn out.  I think there's been overall TMC support lately (expressed in chat) for adding powerup charts in most of our games, indicating we should try to value varied competition over convenient competition (at least to a good extent).  We could add powerup charts to this game, too.

Also, I think Course 4 is going to be added to stay consistent with our current autoscroller definition (as seen in the NSMBWii topic).  Course 4's screen doesn't literally scroll, and there's a reasonably non-trivial section after the thwomp ride anyway.

Print

Hits: 300 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.02 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.