don't click here

How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?

Print

Author Topic: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?  (Read 682900 times)

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • TSC: PoT
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?
« Reply #720 on: November 01, 2009, 08:12:17 am »
Now look who's been playing again! And even a 2:28 in Final Chase! I'd bet that you are going to beat yoshi with your next attempt! Awesome times, and the times you are potentially seeing are even more awesome!!
So a 4/5 chanceat the spring, huh? I'm gonna give that a try later on, I'm sure it's not that hard to figure out (though I have never noticed that tapping A while swinging makes you swing with mroe force..

So 35/41 (37/41)! I should definitely start working on Sky Rail 5..
And Metal Harbor 1 is still far away. But there's still hope, didn'tyou get 1:13 on DC with a "bad" run!?

My Channel: www.youtube.com/finalrush7
- Paragod is the best Sonic/Shadow SA2:B player ever.

Offline X-5

« Reply #721 on: November 01, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »
Playing final chase made me feel like such a useless player compared to you..you got 2:22 in a perfect run, I got 2:28 after restarting from the 40 second checkpoint 50 times because I can't do the tubes without getting stuck. I suck and you're perfect :(

White jungle made me feel a little better.. I played 5 minutes on M5, discovered how to skip the spring every time and 5 minutes later got 1:42. M3 took about 15 minutes, and I played M1 for over and hour and could not beat Brian. I did have a run on M1 that had 1:29 potential, but I failed the roll skip before the 58 sec check(which would of been 57 or even 56 on this crazy run!)

I want that M1 record!!!

Yes, my metal harbor DC run was 1:13.77 and I had like 2+secs worth of mistakes compared to my 1:13 GC...but it's just so hard I'll never be perfect :(

Talon said he might be able to borrow a DC sometime, if he does he will give it a try.

I don't know how you cannot beat even my sky rail 5 yet..maybe it's cause of the fact you did not do the mega jump. Did Jawzun do it on his crazy 45?

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 01, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »
Did Jawzun do it on his crazy 45?

Well, its obvious I did the ultrajump. Don't you guys do it on M1? xD
still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »
Final Chase is not City Escape, Paragod. I read in one of your youtube comments that you brought 90% of the luck factor in that stage down to skill. You can't expect to do that in Final Chase (yet). No one has played FC as much as you have played CE, and no one found a 100% consistent trick for the tubes. If you do everything right (speed, angle, jump height) when touching a tube, I'd say that you have around a slightly over 50% chance of the tube playing along. There's around 7 vertical tubes (the horizontal ones don't give me any trouble), so the chance of getting every tube right in the same run is around 1%.

Checkpoints 0:38 and 1:32 don't lose you too much time, so I would even recommend using them, even if it goes against your nature. I never went into Final Chase expecting a run in one life. While the perfect run I had did depend on skill naturally, I just got that lucky 1% chance that all tubes played along nicely. My M3 run was almost of the same quality, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get the last tube to the Chao done perfectly, hence why I see sub2:30.

I don't know too much about White Jungle, I suck at it (1:38), and I'm still waiting for a good video. You didn't record any of your runs by chance? And once you get the M1 record as well, you should go for a sweep! AMAZING NEW TIMES BTW! =D

Well it's quite clear that MH1 is one of the hardest records left to get! I haven't watched the 1:11 run in quite a while, but I'm sure that it is not completely perfect. Then again, I haven't touched a DC controller in years, so I don't know how difficult it is to adapt to it.

Sky Rail 5 isn't that hard to take, but I just need to wait for a perfect run. Strangely, I've played the level over 100 times today and never got a Perfect Switch! There's no reason for it not to work, but yeah.. <_< And the mega jump is halfway possible as I said in my comment, if you have full speed, you can make it to the 45° edge of the higher platform. A quick homing attack after that and you're back on the way. The homing attack loses you around 0.3 seconds. I'm not sure if with a Perfect Switch, the Awesome jump will get you to the platform without the need of a homing attack. I hope so though, it would make things much easier for me. But yeah, I have to the get Perfect Switch done first. <__<

Offline X-5

« Reply #724 on: November 01, 2009, 04:46:39 pm »
2 new stats.. I improved M2 (effortlessly) and stole M1! (15 mins) Brian has some catching up to do now!

I might try for a sweep..but talon's new record looks pretty good.

The tubes suck..it is all about jump height, angle, speed, timing..it's way too insane for me to master!

I haven't recorded anything because I am playing with high quality hookups(LOOKS AWESOME!) but unfortunately my vcr won't work with them :(

Maybe I should though to demonstrate the strategies I use.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 01, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »
Saw it, taking the TSC record in M2 shouldn't be too difficult I suppose?
Congrats on the M1 record, even if it is a close one!! Do I need to say WHO DA MASTA? =P

And yes, I'd really love to see a good vid of WJ if I'm not asking for too much with that, because there's NONE out there.

Offline X-5

« Reply #726 on: November 01, 2009, 05:27:48 pm »
thanks FRM (Final Rail masta :P) Wow, FRM goes with Rush and Rail! Awesome!

I'll record something tonight just for you, I can't guarantee it will be a perfect record but it will highlight every strategy I use and definitely be at least 1:32. But maybe I'll nail an insane 1:29 whilst recording, just like you got 40.6 SR while recording..you know how that stuff works out sometimes :P

I could take the TSC record probably, but I don't like M2 very much plus it would not be official since talon's record is almost a second better. A TSC sweep is not an official sweep if someone out there has a better time! I like Brian's WJ1 comment...he had it for a lot longer than he expected I bet! almost a year!

expect a edit soon with news on the video.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 01, 2009, 05:34:43 pm »
Awesome, thank you CEM!

I'm not expecting a perfect run, I just need something to follow! And if you nail a sub1:30, then that'll be even more awesome. And, is it safe to assume that you're back into the game? The confirmation of that would make my day ^_^

Offline X-5

« Reply #728 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:51 pm »
I don't know..but white jungle is fairly fun for the time being

I already got: 1:30.89, recorded, no checks!!

It would of been even better, but I didn't do the trick at the start of the level right, and since I was just going for a demonstration I didn't bother trying until it was right, since you probably already know how to do it. (It is very annoyingly inconsistent for me)

Woulda had 1:30.4 or better probably but oh well..this run is very nice! you'll easily see how sub 1:30 is possible.

how long are you going to be on? If you have a few hours I will be able to upload all of the times I have on tape so far, like CE 32.95, green forest 1:24, Radical highway 59(If I still have it, not sure) as well as a few others I think..

If you're gone soon, you'll have a nice wake up surprise!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 01, 2009, 05:50:41 pm »
Awesome!!
Going to bed in a few minutes Not too sure where in America you live, but odds are you can add around 6 hours to you time to find out mine., so I guess I'll have a nice time tomorrow morning at work!! I can't wait!
Oh, and check your PMs~~

Offline X-5

« Reply #730 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »
that's cool, it will probably take me a while longer than that anyway cause I have to copy the runs from tape to dvd, and then convert that to wmv..takes quite a while.

Plus I think I will throw in some bonuses! like Metal harbor M3 22.69 speed shoe trick and maybe some other similar runs..i'll have an awesome video package up by tomorrow!

by the way I hope I don't cause you to lose sleep tonight, by being so excited about what you'll be seeing tomorrow.. I know excitement always keeps me awake at night.

Offline X-5

« Reply #731 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:32 pm »
I think I am going to tape WJ5 too since it's a lot different than M1.

Also if you wanna know why I haven't uploaded the whole batch yet.. I have a question. Turns out I still had some old FR runs that did not get taped over!!

M1: 2:08.52 (you mentioned this one a while back)
M5: 2:13.59

Both of these are check-free..do you want to see them?

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 02, 2009, 05:42:32 am »
Bonus runs plus 2:08 in FR and 2:13 in FR5????? Well, good thing you didn't tell me that yesterday, because I definitely wouldn't have gotten ANY sleep would I have known that!!
I'd love to see these runs, of course you should upload them!!

You didn't even have to ask, how could I possibly turn such an offer down!??

Oh and did I mention that I love your sub1:30 on WJ1? AMAZINGLY DONE!!! Your new WJ5 time is awesome as well!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:46:33 am by finalrush7_ »

Offline X-5

« Reply #733 on: November 02, 2009, 01:11:53 pm »
I used 2 checkpoints on WJ1 :( The 43, and 56. The 43 one cause I messed up somewhere, but I didn't lose time on it cause I managed to pull off an inconsistent loop skip to make up for the time loss. If only I could get the loop skip to work every time..the 56 one I used cause i messed up with the vine force and hit the stupid spring.

Of course, I now see 1:28 being possible.. but that's check-free insanity right there with a level where stuff never goes right. I am satisfied with sub 1:30 checks or not!

I still kinda like 1:30.89 checkfree better though, since we all know how I am :P I will probably upload them both into 1 video, showing my best time and best check-free time. Yes, I did get the 1:29.99 on tape! I was actually playing on M3 trying to get 1:36, but the run was so good I said screw the chao and went for the "back" ring. I am pretty sure this is allowed, cause the time stops the same way it would hitting the goal ring, and I did it on my old 1:54 Pyramid Cave "M1" run (see comment) and no admins said anything, so it must be okay. If I had played M3 like I was supposed to though, I know I would of had a high 1:35...

Yeah it sounds like you were lucky I didn't know I still had my FR runs :P I found them while looking through the tapes to see what I had. If you're curious, I found these:

City Escape M3: 1:06.80 (Restarted only once, at one checkpoint)

City Escape M2: 32.95 (No restarts!! yeah of course hehe)

Radical Highway M3: 59.97 (1 check used, restarted 16 or so times :/)

Final Rush M1: 2:08.52 (Had a few terrible looking spots :/)

Final Rush M5: 2:13.59 (didn't even watch this one yet.. I just saw it whilst fast forwarding)

White Jungle M1: 1:30.89 and 1:29.99 (Going to make a dual-run video for this as I said)

White Jungle M5: 1:41.20 (Yes I got this one on tape, forgot how many checks I used but quite a few I think.. I guess I should upload it anyway)

Metal Harbor M3 SS: 22.69 (Cool run to play and watch, can be improved!)

Sorry I didn't have a surprise for you when you woke up :( I didn't really have a chance to transfer the tapes cause like last time the dvd recorder was busy being used by somebody else..maybe tomorrow you'll have a nice surprise! Yeah here we go with the excuses again.. :(

I also got a new record: City Escape M1... 1:36.32

It sucks though, I am not submitting it. You know why!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 02, 2009, 02:14:20 pm »
City Escape M3: 1:06.80 (Restarted only once, at one checkpoint)

City Escape M2: 32.95 (No restarts!! yeah of course hehe)

Radical Highway M3: 59.97 (1 check used, restarted 16 or so times :/)

Final Rush M1: 2:08.52 (Had a few terrible looking spots :/)

Final Rush M5: 2:13.59 (didn't even watch this one yet.. I just saw it whilst fast forwarding)

White Jungle M1: 1:30.89 and 1:29.99 (Going to make a dual-run video for this as I said)

White Jungle M5: 1:41.20 (Yes I got this one on tape, forgot how many checks I used but quite a few I think.. I guess I should upload it anyway)

Metal Harbor M3 SS: 22.69 (Cool run to play and watch, can be improved!)

Okay now I DEFINITELY won't be sleeping until I see all these runs! Ohh, I can't wait!!

1:36:32, hmmm I guess you used the 35 checkpoint? You're right, you shouldn't submit it, you should go for a checkfree run in City Escape. Everything else is probably hurting your pride!

Offline X-5

« Reply #735 on: November 02, 2009, 02:35:46 pm »
The amount of checks I have been using recently is astoundingly bad. :(

It's..not like me.... Not like me at all.... Who am I becoming? I am not even going to know who I am anymore if I don't stop..the checks...the checks! THE CHECKS!! Evil!! Stay away from me! I am slowing being possessed by the SA2B devil..checks...and even..the security hall 2 lives trick....How is this possible? How can someone.....go from.... 4-lives no checks on every run down to this...checks, multiple checks sometimes even!....and using more than the default 4 lives..... how..... could I be reduced to this..?....slowly, I am being possessed....and taken to...the....dark side of this game's competition techniques.....the one thing I always fought AGAINST....my determination..must be......slowly diminishing..for me to resort to.....such...cheap tricks to gain....time records......my determination......and skill......will never be......the same................

On a different note I hope you can sleep tonight, I may or may not have them up by the time you go. Oh and by the way talon wants to know if you did anything different on your 29 FC2 run compared to your 31 video.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:40:50 pm by Paragod »

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 02, 2009, 02:41:51 pm »
It's..not like me.... Not like me at all.... Who am I becoming? I am not even going to know who I am anymore if I don't stop..the checks...the checks! THE CHECKS!! Evil!! Stay away from me! I am slowing being possessed by the SA2B devil..checks...and even..the security hall 2 lives trick....How is this possible? How can someone.....go from.... 4-lives no checks on every run down to this...checks, multiple checks sometimes even!....and using more than the default 4 lives..... how..... could I be reduced to this..?....slowly, I am being possessed....and taken to...the....dark side of this game's competition techniques.....the one thing I always fought AGAINST....my determination..must be......slowly diminishing..for me to resort to.....such...cheap tricks to gain....time records......my determination......and skill......will never be......the same................

Official reply: I'm actually too lazy to point it all out, but you got several SA2:B (the most played game here, with the toughest competition) records recently. As I said, where luck plays an important role in a level, using a check is not forbidden, nor is it bad!
Unofficial reply: Checks or not, that's unimportant! Gotta show no mercy in a heat competition, isn't that what you said to me in a PM?

No hurry with the videos btw!
PS: That damn 217 rings in MH5 are actually giving me trouble <_<

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:20 pm »
Got that damn 217 rings <_<

And take a look at my new SR5 time! 0.22 behind Jawzun, awesome huh!? I easily lost over 0.5 seconds on the way, too! As I said, once I get a perfect run where everything works out, I can beat his time! Until then, it's just a matter of not giving up and not getting frustrated. I was able to do the Perfect Switch twice today, so I now know it's possible! I even see 44, but that would be as crazy as my M1 time!! <_<

EDIT: Had a potential 44.8, but the Perfect Switch didn't work out. It's for some reason much harder to pull off in Mission 5 >_>

EDIT: Record would have been mine by about 0.05 seconds had Shadow not been shot up the last hill. <_<
Oh well.. Perfect Switch is still nearly impossible to pull off... damn

EDIT: Official confirmation: The megajump on M5 has little to do with speed. Of course, you shouldn't be slow on the rail, but the most important factor is the time you jump. The nearer the edge of the rail, the further you jump. And you have to be DAMN near the edge to make it.
Which comes down to: Take the rail slightly slower (but still fast enough naturally) to have a better chance at the megajump, or go full speed and risk everything? Getting the feeling for full speed down is very difficult even for me. It mostly depends on luck. You have like 2-3 frames time to press the A button..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:40:41 pm by finalrush7_ »

Offline X-5

« Reply #738 on: November 03, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »
Is that why I have such trouble with it on M1 even with lots of speed? I didn't think timing really mattered, I just hit the button near the end. You got so close on M5 =( Keep going!! just keep this in mind: 38/41!!!! that's insane!

Anyway I also have an official confirmation: as soon as I post this message I will be making the videos, so perhaps in 1-3 hours they will be done and uploaded!!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 03, 2009, 04:02:56 pm »
I actually think that it doesn't matter AS much in M1. And I've had several record-breaking runs so far, but damn the megajump sure is hard to pull off. It even happens that I hesitate and don't press the A button at all at the end of the rail <_<

Cool! I should be here for the next two hours! But I wouldn't mind a wake-up special either :D
I'm looking forward to WJ1 and FR5 the most!!

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 03, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Just one question though.
At the end, which rail is faster? Because I took the left one in my 45.60 run.
still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 03, 2009, 04:27:09 pm »
To my knowledge, the right one is faster. I don't know by how much, I never really tested it.

Offline X-5

« Reply #742 on: November 03, 2009, 04:49:29 pm »
I got them all transferred! Now I can just upload them, 1 at a time.

I'll do WJ first since everybody wants to see that, then FR and the rest.

Within 20 minutes or so the first one may be up!

I decided not to do FR1 since it's nothing special that we haven't seen, and I didn't do the SS trick on metal harbor cause I didn't feel like looking for it. That's okay though, I'll make a big batch of bonuses next time!

white jungle M1 is up! it'll pop up on your video page any minute now..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:14:04 pm by Paragod »

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:01 pm »
If you would excuse me, I can't post a proper reply until tomorrow at work because I'm in shock. I've seen WJ1 and FR5 and damn that was just...

Offline X-5

« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:09 pm »
WJ did have some shockingly crazy parts huh? Like the double roll skip in the beginning, that one is tough as can be but it looks cool and saves almost a second. I can see that putting you into a deep shock :P

FR5 was not great really, I missed that long rail at the end among other parts, where our strategy has improved. that's why you need to beat me! 2:12 is not much better.

I guess you can watch CE3 tomorrow as well as the highway, CE2 and also, I forgot about it in my post but I also have my new green forest M1 record as well! it really sucks as you'll see, (1:22 potential) but it's okay, once Brian gets a DC with his new tricks he'll get 1:20 or sub anyway.

Offline X-5

« Reply #745 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:47 pm »
This officially brings our discussion back to TSC instead of that silly video site.

Go to bed, FR7! when you wake up you'll be able to see the once thought impossible:: Sub min on RH3!!!!!! It doesn't get any more exciting than that! As well as a couple others.

As for FR5, yeah it does get this topic back down to it's very roots of discussion! How cool is that!

I think you should play first, since I am already ahead of you. The only new strategy I can think of right now is the first 18 seconds.. there's gotta be a way to do it faster than my video. I remember one time when I went to jump the chaos blob, I landed right back on the rail! Or on the ground..it was one or the other. It was completely luck, but if we get something similar consistently we could probably do it as fast as M1 which is a second right there.

From there,..well....I don't know yet til I play the level. But I know there are lots of improvements for sub 2:10!

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #746 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »
The videos are great! All of them are pretty awesome, CE was really great, and I saw you did the B+A in the rail like I did in my 1:47 video :D, it really helped a lot. The FR video I tough you didn't have the tape anymore(You said that a month ago when I said I wanted to see it), it was just amazing, I've never seen almost all of your tricks, you beat my mission 1 time in mission 5, this is very fun xD. WJ was great too, now I don't need to make a video of it anymore xD, except for the second loop skip, everything else I already did in my 1:30 run, so for me there's not too many things to make me able to get a lower time there :/. Awesome, just awesome, I can't wait for the other videos :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:18:07 pm by Brian »
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline X-5

« Reply #747 on: November 03, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »
thanks sir brian man!

If you can do all the tricks on WJ check-free, you can easily beat me.. I probably lost a whole second from both checks added up.

In the green forest video, I definitely blew 1:22 at the end as you can see. :( mainly because of the check, but also cause I had a terrible jump to skip the loop, and the jump/bounces at the end were horrible compared to yours. But like I said who cares either way, once you get DC you'll get 1:20 or better depending on how many time savers you have that I do not know about!

anyway they're definite all up now, what a bunch of work that was!

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:59 pm »
I still don't feel like playing again :/, after seeing your video of CG(1:41) for the 352th time I've realized something. I can't get a DC now, so don't expect something coming from me in Green Forest mission 1. But even if I can't keep up with you guys, I'll be here to help with new tricks, Mr. shortcut will always be analising your runs ;D
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:47 am »
WJ1 - This one stunned me completely. Granted, WJ is the only level I don't know perfectly yet, but you showed me SEVERAL tricks that were amazing due to either how hard they seemed to be, or how much time they saved!!! This one was just great! Can't say anything else here, really!

GF1 - Very clean run, and I like how you incorporated my new shortcut nicely! You lost quite a bit time at the end, but I have the right strat for you that is very easy: Use the superbounce and then a quick B+A. I was actually surprised you didn't do that, it's quite a bit faster and not hard to pull off at all! Can't wait for Brian's new cuts!

FR5 - This is the fastest run I've ever seen of FR5, so even if it wasn't really perfect, it was definitely nice to watch. Taught me some nice little cuts, too! But yeah, we'll go into anaziling the run/level later.

RH3 - This was also amazingly done. First loop skip was new to me, as I was never able to pull it off that well. Restarting at the check didn't matter much to me, as the overall quality of the vid didn't suffer at all! It was just beautiful. Though I was always of the impression that jumping to the boxes -> killing the robot -> taking the rocket was faster than using the pulley path. Guess I was wrong..?

CE3 - Not much to say here, I see pretty much no room for improvement here! Maybe I'm missing something small due to my n00bishness in CE, but this really looked (near) perfect!

And I've been reading the first few pages of the topic again and found something really nice:
Hopefully you guys make up a new generation of SA2 elite.

Print

Hits: 242 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.