don't click here

How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?

Print

Author Topic: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?  (Read 682876 times)

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
Re: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:55 pm »
Oh... ok then :), thx so much man, you're surely awesome at this game, I'm still trying to get sub 1:40 in CE(I'm at 1:41 right now, but I haven't submitted it) while you got 1:36 years ago :D, btw I've taped a horrible, full of big mistakes CE run, did you see it?
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 24, 2009, 11:37:26 pm »
Unrelatedly this topic needs a name change. So badly.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline X-5

« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2009, 02:02:23 am »
1:41 is getting close, if you keep playing you'll take my most popular, most worked-for record and shock everybody :P I guess you could say 1:36 is awesome for 2007, but I was the only one trying back then so of course no one's came close yet.

I did see the 1:47 video, you pretty much play as good as me with some mistakes mixed in only because you haven't played as much yet. I like how you held back after the big pit jump to stop the robot from appearing, I tried that a long time ago too. I don't think its faster, but it does give you a nice straight jump for that rail. Doing a bounce over the fence before the building may be a little faster than me, smoother-looking if nothing else.

Also I doubt you will want to try it(as its just a little too hard to pull off consistently)but right before the truck chase, you can jump from the third of the long rails and bounce ball the little tiny rail before the check and save lots of time compared to running and jumping up the stairs. I could pull it off very rarely, definitely not often enough to put it into a run unfortunately. Maybe you can do better!

The topic does need a update I guess, but why not keep the title anyway since its classic? If you had it changed you'd have to call it something like "The SA2B everything topic" because you never know what we talk about in here..that makes it cool! First we talked about how much time you lose from a checkpoint, then we helped each other with final rush, Brian explained a few of his tricks, we talked about Pyramid Cave and some more Brian stuff.. so really we'll leave it up to FR7 if he wants to change it.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • TSC: PoT
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2009, 02:53:57 am »
At least everyone believes our times and aren't forcing us to produce a video :P
No, I don't believe you, you cheater! I also know you sped your CE1 video up!! <____< *fails*

I really suck at FR now, I played M1 and I could only get 2:13. I could probably easily get into sub 2:10 range once I get used to it again, but I don't really feel like it.
This. I can get the occasional 2:12 run in FR almost every time, but as soon as I'm going for the small hard tricks that doesn't save that much time but are necessary for a perfect run, I fail.
Though a few days ago I was able to get 2:09:82 on my second file, but I guess I was just lucky.
Final Rush isn't what it was once for me.... Not to mention I can't even get sub2:20 on M5 (though I haven't been really trying too hard either)

Also, GO BRIAN! You'll be the second guy ever to take CE1 under 1:40! I'm positive you can do it, even if it is really hard.

And I'll leave this topic's name as it is if that's ok with you guys...? I'm a bit of a nostalgia type, and this topic is already a year old or so. XD

My Channel: www.youtube.com/finalrush7
- Paragod is the best Sonic/Shadow SA2:B player ever.

Offline X-5

« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2009, 04:00:40 am »
No, I don't believe you, you cheater! I also know you sped your CE1 video up!! <____< *fails*

oh yeah? at least I have never had my name come up in the leaderboard disputes forum, so I must be a way better cheater than you if I didn't get caught or even questioned! You definitely used a code to have double speed on the rails to be able to beat my final rush M1 time, 2:07.69 is unbeatable by anybody cause I am so good! Just admit it, you can never beat me playing without your codes. I'd get way below sub 2 if I used your codes, so obviously you suck very much! I did cheat on CE, I programmed a robot to run the level just right because of course I could never do it, but at least I was smart enough to not over do it and get something humanly impossible like 1:33.. I programmed it to play at a realistic skill level that a person could pull off, if they are crazy. I never even got accused once of cheating!

Okay enough of that I got carried away there.

SERIOUS MODE ACTIVATED

I was able to get 2:09:82 on my second file
well, that is way better than 2:13 at least. You must retain your skills better than I do after leaving a level for a long time. On M5 I am assuming you use the jump to skip the boxes at the very end, I remember telling you about it but I am not sure if you fully understood it. It saves over 5 seconds, which is why I made such a jump from 2:20 or so, or whatever I had.

And I'll leave this topic's name as it is if that's ok with you guys...? I'm a bit of a nostalgia type, and this topic is already a year old or so. XD

yeah I would really prefer you left it as is. its cool, its classic, and still going strong! who cares if we strayed off topic, it happens that way sometimes.  PLUS when somebody first sees the topic, they will be thinking WHY THE F ARE THERE SO MANY REPLIES TO SUCH A SIMPLE QUESTION?!?!? which is funny :P they'd initially think it was still being debated or something.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2009, 04:44:03 am »
oh yeah? at least I have never had my name come up in the leaderboard disputes forum, so I must be a way better cheater than you if I didn't get caught or even questioned! You definitely used a code to have double speed on the rails to be able to beat my final rush M1 time, 2:07.69 is unbeatable by anybody cause I am so good! Just admit it, you can never beat me playing without your codes. I'd get way below sub 2 if I used your codes, so obviously you suck very much! I did cheat on CE, I programmed a robot to run the level just right because of course I could never do it, but at least I was smart enough to not over do it and get something humanly impossible like 1:33.. I programmed it to play at a realistic skill level that a person could pull off, if they are crazy. I never even got accused once of cheating!

Yeah, I knew you programmed a robot. It was so obvious, because a normal player could never even get sub1:40 on CE. For Final Rush, I used the double speed shoe trick along with a cheat that doubles your speed on rails and when falling. I also played the level frame by frame with saves stats. I intentionally didn't get a 2:06 because that would seem so suspicious. My 2:09 video has intentional bad quality so you can't really see what's going on, and all my pics are photoshop'd.

SERIOUS MODE

Yes, I do use the trick at the wall at the end. We named it the CWS, IIRC. Cross-wall spindash? Oh well. I didn't even get to use it that much because it is at the end of the level and my runs fail after less than a minute, especially since I'm going with no-check runs from the start this time.

yeah I would really prefer you left it as is. its cool, its classic, and still going strong! who cares if we strayed off topic, it happens that way sometimes.  PLUS when somebody first sees the topic, they will be thinking WHY THE F ARE THERE SO MANY REPLIES TO SUCH A SIMPLE QUESTION?!?!? which is funny :P they'd initially think it was still being debated or something.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like we are:

X - You lose 0.6 seconds!
Y - No, you lose 0.8 seconds!
X - No
Y - Yes
X - No
Y - Yes

Offline X-5

« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2009, 05:55:07 am »
I always knew better than to trust sucky quality videos... people always hide their slight time-saving cheats that way.

I'm going with no-check runs from the start this time.
Have I inspired you to go for check-free WR runs? Or is it something you'd of done if I never existed? I am curious :P

Yeah, I think it was called the CWS, something like that. Whatever its called, its that trick that pretty much saves no time on M1, but tons on M5.

X - You lose 0.6 seconds!
Y - No, you lose 0.8 seconds!
X - No
Y - Yes
X - No
Y - Yes

hehe, fortunately we know both Y and x are wrong! its all about which checks you use, and what strategy you use to get yourself back up to speed. Some may cost half a second, some a tenth, some almost none(Brian's radical highway)and some probably a second or more(FR's mid check)

Maybe soon somebody will click the topic, not notice that there are over 400 replies and then explain to us how much he thinks checks lose..that'd be funny, about as funny as somebody thinking we're still arguing :P

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 25, 2009, 08:53:29 am »
Have I inspired you to go for check-free WR runs? Or is it something you'd of done if I never existed? I am curious :P
Yeah, it was you, or better yet, your runs.
I always used to think that I could improve and do perfect segments of Final Rush which would then be divided by checkpoints, but once you broke my 2:09:92, I noticed that I could no longer rely on them. This 2:09 time felt perfect to me (just look at the comment of it <_<), and I could only imagine you beating it by doing exactly the same thing without checkpoints.
At that time, I would've laughed really hard if you were to tell me that 2:07:69 was possible with an 1:20.8 check.

Of course, you didn't cease to surprise me and got that time, not only forcing me to go on without any checkpoints in FR, but also questioning myself because even if I were to do my 2:09 run without checks, it would still result in 2:08.3 or so. This definitely gave me some bad weeks where I didn't really manage to put up a good run, and I kept thinking about your time and asking myself if maybe you were not just a little bit too good for me. So mentally, I wasn't even close to my best.

I don't exactly know what happened to make that feeling go away, but I'm happy it disappeared. It sorta gave me the drive to give it all again, and voilĂ , I made it to a 2:08.xx that didn't feel perfect at all. It was then when I realized I still had a chance at beating you, and I also kept reading all your posts over and over to make sure I didn't miss the slightest cut.

And here we are now, with M1 long behind us....

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #428 on: September 25, 2009, 11:44:02 am »
Woa! You guys talked a lot while I was sleeping xD.

Yeah, I think it's better to keep the original title of the topic, it makes it look awesome as you guys said, and it was mainly Paragod's fault, 'cause in my LD topic, he was one of the first ones to reply, and after this we and Jawzun started to talk about the stage and post our results there, these were good days for sure :D.

Yeah, it's called CWS, it was a great found :), it helps a lot in mission 5, since I don't need to waste time there, but instead of doing a spindash jump, I just hold the "A" button while charging and keep holding it until I reach that last place.

Hahahahahaha, thx guys for your help, I'll do my best to get sub 1:40, but I don't think your record is beatable, at least by me :/, even if I could, I probably wouldn't try to do it, since CE(and GH, but I can choose only one) is your signature stage, as EC is for Jawzun. And about the big pit jump, I did that 'cause I haven't put the usual method to work right, and jumping on that final rail happened to me only one time during a speedrun, but I've though about it earlier.

Hey Final, will you play FR again? If so GL dude :D, and don't forget to tape it, we need another awesome video from you :)
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 25, 2009, 02:38:55 pm »
So CWS is it!
But I have to add that CWS might not be the first choice for me, even if I discovered it. I've noticed that with a quick wall jump (and not the springs), and then a quick B+A plus another jump and B+A can get you through the boxes in the ground without that giant weight thingy crushing you. I've done it a few times, but I didn't test yet if it's indeed faster.

I'm playing M5 atm, and getting sub2:20 is already difficult.... My best time is 2:18 now, which was made a year ago...
It all depends on how quickly I can readapt to all the stage's differences from M1, as I can now literally play M1 with me eyes closed.

As soon as I am in the 2:15 area, I'll make a vid.

Offline Talon

« Reply #430 on: September 25, 2009, 02:42:52 pm »
Ahh. I was trying to get the 2nd spot of CE1, but brian's got 1:41 :(. Looks like i need to practice more to beat it

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »
Ahh. I was trying to get the 2nd spot of CE1, but brian's got 1:41 :(. Looks like i need to practice more to beat it
Hmmm... looks like I'll have some more competition now, let's see who will be the 2nd best player in CE: Me, you or jawzun :D

Good luck PoT, I hope you can do it soon :), I'm still wanting to sub 2:25 in this mission, my mission 1 time is satisfying for me, 2:13 is something I've never though being possible for me :/, but 2:27(my new mission 5 time) is very bad IMO, the CWS really helps a lot in mission 5, I don't even remember how to do the ending without it xD.

Offline Talon

« Reply #432 on: September 25, 2009, 03:55:01 pm »
Damn I never thought that i would be competing against brian. So, i'm trying now, and the best i got was 1:45 without checkpoint abuse.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #433 on: September 25, 2009, 04:29:42 pm »
Hey dude, this is an awesome time! And without checks! I think you'll get sub 1:40 soon, I'm working a lot these days, and I couldn't play since the day I uploaded my last videos, but I'll try to do 2 things that can make a sub 1:40 run be "easier" than before, of course they're hard to do:

1. Get the last rail instead of doing the jump and B+A just before you enter in the truck chase, this is very hard to do in a good run, since at least with me, these moments make me shake a lot and increase my chance of making a mistake.

2. Do another spindash just before the first curve in the truck part without touching the speed pad, this will make me retain the speed I got in the first part of the chase instead of limiting myself with the speed pad's speed, this is easier than the first trick, and will make me save some time, for now I can't see this being done in the second part, since it's a 180Âş turn, which makes it so much harder than the first one :/.

Offline Talon

« Reply #434 on: September 25, 2009, 04:40:38 pm »
Hmm, ok, thanks for the tips. I have tried to hit that rail at the end, but always mess up on a good run, but never on a bad run. Once i got there at 1:19, then aimed for the rail and went too far right and died. The non-check run, i made a massive mistake by overshooting the green ramp. But i made up for it by bouncing over the fence, so i lost around 5 seconds, which makes me think that i could sub 1:40. I kinda understand the second trick, but do i need to avoid the speed pads or can i hit them?

Offline X-5

« Reply #435 on: September 25, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
Goodluck you two! Sub 1:40 on CE is an INCREDIBLE time, ya'll can do it!

I shouldn't be happy though..once someone breaks 1:40, they'll realize they can beat me :(

I don't exactly know what happened to make that feeling go away, but I'm happy it disappeared. It sorta gave me the drive to give it all again, and voilĂ , I made it to a 2:08.xx that didn't feel perfect at all. It was then when I realized I still had a chance at beating you, and I also kept reading all your posts over and over to make sure I didn't miss the slightest cut.
And here we are now, with M1 long behind us....

yup, man we sure did enjoy ourselves with the competition.. it was just awesome :)

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2009, 05:59:56 pm »
Yeah talon, you can't touch them 'cause if you do it, you'll lose the speed you got from all spindashes, this way you'll have the speed the pad gave you, which is slower than your current speed :)

Also Paragod and PoT, I really felt so incomplete for not being able to write a chapter of Final Rush with you both :(, but I'm very happy for being a friend of yours :D, something that couldn't ever happen if I haven't been called out, and you asked this question PoT.

I'm sure you can reach the top too talon, you're so good, even knowing you're a newcomer you can get this sub 1:40, maybe faster than me :)

Who would say that a topic that was made to answer a simple question would make us grow up so much?

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
yup, man we sure did enjoy ourselves with the competition.. it was just awesome :)
Definitely! I don't really know what else to say, but it was definitely just awesome. I remember always coming here before I went to sleep to see if you got another awesome and on-the-first-sight unbeatable seeming time or maybe discovered a new cut, or just looking at your response when I discovered something.

Also Paragod and PoT, I really felt so incomplete for not being able to write a chapter of Final Rush with you both :(
Don't feel that way, you contributed to the topic as well!!

but I'm very happy for being a friend of yours :D
I feel the same. In this society of different people, it's cool to have a few guys you know really well and can get along with. Even better for me, you both are absolute top players on SA2! :D

something that couldn't ever happen if I haven't been called out, and you asked this question PoT.
Yeah? I don't even remember that anymore... Do you know that topic's name by any chance? :D

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »
I was talking about this topic xD

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2009, 08:51:26 am »
LOL xD <_<

Offline Talon

« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2009, 12:41:22 pm »
Thanks brian_pso. I'm playing now, and just practising between the 1st and 3rd checkpoint since i always screw up somewhere there. After (If) I sub 1 40. I'll start playing final rush even though i'm not that good at it. And try to solve 2 20

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2009, 06:22:44 pm »
In pyramid cave, how exactly do you perform the glitch at the 2nd key door?
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile

Offline X-5

« Reply #443 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:25 am »
* Paragod doesn't feel like playing pyramid cave until his records have competition

Brian, FR7 (maybe cort?) that means YOU!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:25 am »
NO!!!
I'm not torturing myself through a stage I never liked too much!
Not to mention that my max would be around 1:42, whereas you are miles away with a 1:35! Brain could give you some competition since he was originally only 6 seconds away.

One question though, how did you skip the first AC that's blocking the rails (around 0:14 in) in Final Rush 5?`
I lose like 2 seconds there compared to Mission 1. <_<

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #445 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
I can't play right now due to my job, we are changing some things, and this is taking all of my time :/, I haven't got the Ring record yet too, but don't worry I'll give it a try when I have sometime :)

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 28, 2009, 10:44:15 am »
NO!!!
I'm not torturing myself through a stage I never liked too much!

Now you know how I feel about that sub 1 min thing on Emerald Coast xD
still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline X-5

« Reply #447 on: September 28, 2009, 11:27:11 am »
And that's how I would feel about CE if ya'll made me play for 1:35 M1 :P Or 1:39 M5 for that matter..

Sorry FR Master, it completely slipped my mind that you only like the final levels enough to play them so hard to get the record. Sorry. Pyramid Cave is definitely not a final level.

sounds good Brian, play when you can if you feel like it. We all know the job is much more important!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 29, 2009, 02:49:00 am »
Now you know how I feel about that sub 1 min thing on Emerald Coast xD
Oh, I didn't know you felt this way.. Well, I'm not too familiar with SA1's records, but from what I've heard, you're record won't be broken at any time soon.
And a minute looks just better than 59 seconds <_< xD

You seriously don't have to play until insanity, Paragod xD
Who would even be so cruel to make you do that?

True, I would already have the record if the stage was called Final Cave XD But no, PC just isn't my type of level. Pyramids and castles and ruins were never my type of level (or level theme).
I also noticed yesterday that whenever I play FR, I have all these little segment times in my head (like hitting the spiral rail at 17.1, the camera change at 22.8 or hitting the long shortcut-rail at 29.6) which are driving me crazy because I can't ignore them for some reason and it's pissing me off that I can't get these times too often anymore (like 1 out of 10 runs).. <_<

Offline Talon

« Reply #449 on: September 29, 2009, 03:01:32 am »
I'm having a little trouble with a good CE2 strat, I managed 38:86 with my own strat. But i don't see anyone getting 33-34 with it.

Print

Hits: 452 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.22 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.