don't click here

How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?

Print

Author Topic: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?  (Read 682720 times)

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
Re: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »
How the hell do you do that! I get to the bit where you bounce over door one at 40 ish :O

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • TSC: PoT
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »
If anyone has trouble backtracking through the first first key door, I have an awesome solution to offer. I found out how to not let the first door close itself.

My Channel: www.youtube.com/finalrush7
- Paragod is the best Sonic/Shadow SA2:B player ever.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2009, 03:14:58 pm »
o.O, I can't believe! You just saved my life xD, tell me please Mr Final, fast, faster, even faster, in no time :D

Edit: I know how it's done :D, what an easy thing, just put the key on the altar then use the super bounce to pass over the wall. I never though about that, thanks man :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:28:32 pm by Brian_pso »
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
Alright, so you know how the door closes immediately once you went through it, right?

Now, in the room with the key and the key stone are fences on both sides. Wallbounce up to them and you will see that there's a thin ground where you basically stand on the fence. Now face the wall with the keydoor and wallbounce up that wall which will get you so high, you will probably see the background of Pyramid Cave.
Ok, so at the moment, you're really high in the air. What you have to do now is to make sure you land on the rail to the left (I always use the right fence, to the rail is to the left of me. If you use the left fence, the rail is practically in front of you). Once landed on the rail, jump off and slowly backtrack to hit the checkpoint for the rings you want. Basically, in order for the door not to close itself, you just need to go over its "closing planes".
If you get too close to the door on the other side, it will close itself as soon as you try to walk away from it.

If that was too complicated, I could make a quick video of it.
Just keep in mind I can't upload to YouTube from home, so I'd have to send it to you per MSN or email.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:51 am »
Hmm, so I finally did it in a speed run, even though there wasn't much speed there <_<
1:53:25

After 5 tries and a ghost (the ghost usually gets me after I fail the SKD once or twice), I got through. Took the camera a long time to reposition itself...

Hit the first check at 41:02, could've easily been a 0:39 one.
Had around 4-5 seconds of mistake in there as well.

I don't know how much the 4 tries and the ghost cost me, I'd guess around 6-7 seconds?

I guess my aim will be sub1:44? Sounds reasonable to me...

Also, Paragod, you should probably upload a video sometime soon, because even if it isn't perfect, there aren't any other good PC speedruns out there to my knowledge, so that would help us all. That'd be nice!

EDIT:
1:49:69

Up to the first check, everything went really good! Idk what my time was, but I think somewhere high 39 or low 40.
After failing once and being held by the ghost, I got through the door on my second try - and that's where I had some really AWFUL mistakes, hence the improvement of only 4 seconds.

-> still, this run was checkpoint-free!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:49:53 am by PoT »

Offline X-5

« Reply #395 on: September 19, 2009, 12:06:56 pm »
looking good, sounds like you are getting a hang of that door. I like no checks too(as if you didn't know)

did my slow-motion explanation of exactly how I got through the door help out a little? Or are you figuring it out by yourself?

you'll see my 1:35 soon I hope, I'd of made it yesterday but the dvd recorder was really busy with other people yesterday so I couldn't copy my run over :(

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 19, 2009, 05:19:27 pm »
Im still not getting how you get to the second check (first key door) in 40 odd seconds? I hit the first one at around 13: hit the dash ramp at around 25-30 and get to the door 1 by about 43. What am i missing

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2009, 06:04:18 pm »
Optimization I'd guess, werey.

And to Paragod, your explanation did help a bit, I now know where to stand, roughly.
Also, what a shock, I always thought you loved abusing checkpoints and entering levels with 99 lives! :P

Offline X-5

« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2009, 10:39:51 pm »
Checks AND 99 lives? I thought you knew me way better than that man :P

Werey..I am sure it is just optimization, whether it be skill or my strategy. I failed again to upload the video thanks to the fact that I failed to find an empty dvd.. I will hopefully get one tomorrow. Sorry for an excuse every single night(Makes me feel like somebody who fakes their times, hehe)but once the video is up it will explain better than words how I play.

I have some pretty cool news too.. I found a new time saving shortcut! It seems really hard at first, but with practice I can see it working its way into a no-checks run. It saves around..................(suspense)..... 1.20 seconds! Not bad for something so simple I always overlooked! Well actually I knew about it, but just tonight I found a way to actually execute it quickly and save time. When I upload the 1:35, I will also include a video of the new cut.

So as for the max time now, I can see 1:31 being reasonably possible. By reasonably possible I mean, lets just say getting 1:30 would be as pixel perfect as 1:35 CE1 or 2:06 FR1 :P Way too hard to be worth trying for unless you have ten thousand hours of free time.

How do I figure this? My time is 1:35.27, I lose 1.60 by not getting through the door first try. That is 1:33.67. I did not use my new shortcut on the run, so that is another 1.20 and we're down to 1:32.47. On my 1:35 the only bad time loss was about 0.5 in the first twisty corridor, so with a crazy play the time can go to a high 1:31.

I will be aiming for 1:32, because getting a first try door and then not screwing up at all will be very hard once you get nervous. Plus, after getting through the door 2nd try at least a hundred times, I still have yet to EVER get through the first try.. almost as if its impossible or something, I don't know...Fortunately 1:33 can still be done with a second try door. I also hit a new landmark for the second check tonight... sub 37! 36.95 to be exact, too bad I didn't make it through the door :(

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:52:13 pm by Paragod »

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2009, 05:57:00 am »
Wow. I just had a pretty nice run.  I got through the door in one try but the time was 1:59. Really awesome for me.

I still cant get very fast.. I had a few runs where i got through the door in 2 but got hit by 2 ghosts in the second tunnel. But anyway, im happy with this and im not gonna try anymore till i see the video.

Offline X-5

« Reply #400 on: September 20, 2009, 08:47:12 am »
I am going to upload a different 1:35 (1:35.59) because I used the new shortcut in the video and pulled it off excellently. I would of had a new record and a low 1:34 on this very run, but guess what... the camera just had to be stupid after I skipped the door, so I ended up wasting over a second by not hitting the hourglass.

So even though the video is a little slower than the record, consider it a 1:34 anyway that I got cheated out of :P

hopefully it goes up today within 10 hours of this post, or else I gotta make a new excuse.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 20, 2009, 02:10:33 pm »
I guess I'm going to have to break my promise. I just didn't feel like playing Final Rush AT ALL today. <_<
I improved some other stats and went into the top100 though..

But I'm still positive I can get the record in the near future!

EDIT: God, my M3 time SUCKS!
 -> Good thing though, I'm getting consistent at skipping the door.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:31:34 pm by PoT »

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #402 on: September 20, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »
I'm a bit slow to reply here, but... wow, that's a really significant shortcut in Pyramid Cave.  It looks really hard, but it's kind of cool that it skips the slowest part of the level.  Great work to all involved in discovering and polishing this.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2009, 12:16:09 pm »
Yeah Pot m3 is still my worst spot. The getting the chao part buggers my run up. I had a nice run in M3 where i got through the door at 1:01 which would of been awesome for M1 :(

Also Thanks yoshi :)

Edit: Just after this post i got through the door around 55 seconds (2nd try) and got 1:53.

I am really happy with this :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:25:43 pm by Werey »

Offline X-5

« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »
M3 isn't too bad for me but my problem is I always have to swing twice on each bar cause I cannot react to the first one in time, which wastes a fair amount of time. I could do each on the first swing once I memorize them, but I haven't bothered yet since I am still #1!

yoshi, it was a little tough at first for me, but we all know how much I suck at going through wall/door glitches. You're really good at them, so you should nail it much easier!

Join in with us if you wish, I bet you'd have a fair chance at beating me if you can get through on the very first try.

Offline X-5

« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2009, 07:35:14 pm »
Who wants some exciting news!!

I had excuse after excuse thanks to sucky technicalities, but its finally here!
The thing everybody wants to see...

Pyramid Cave M1 Video!!!

You can find it Here!

Remember, this may be a few tenths off my record but this SHOULD be a 1:34.. not my fault the stupid camera made me lose over a second by making miss the hourglass :(

hopefully the wait was worth it to everybody! and now werey can find out what I did to get to the door so fast.

Offline Cort

« Reply #406 on: September 21, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »
unbelievable, great video Paragod. I will try to do sub 1:38.

Offline X-5

« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2009, 12:09:28 am »
thanks, and goodluck, young CORT!

why sub 1:38 though? such an odd number..how about sub 1:35 to push this level further forward!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2009, 02:44:09 am »
Awesome run Paragod!!!!!
AWESOME!!
!!!!!!!!!

That looked really nice, screw the damn camera that made you lose a second. I really liked the new shortcut you used, I didn't know about it yet.

That leaves only one question, is a door skip on the first try even possible? <_< I've never done it before, nor has anyone here as far as I know.... There's no explanation as to why it would be impossible, but oh well...

Offline X-5

« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2009, 03:34:12 am »
thanks master final!!!!!!! I couldn't wait to see what you had to say about it. I had a feeling you'd really like it :)

I like the shortcut too. It's not new to me, but I could never save time with it because it took so long to jump up on the ledge. What I figured out a few days ago was that you could hit the very left edge of the jump ramp, land on the ledge and BANG, you save 1.20 sec!

I really don't know, based on theoretical probability it seems impossible, because like I said I was getting the door every 1 in 4 jumps on average. Yet.... lets say out of 100 attempts, I'd get through on the second try probably 20-30 times, but none on the first. Based on my success rate I should have gotten through on the first try 25 out of 100 times.

Wow. I just had a pretty nice run.  I got through the door in one try but the time was 1:59. Really awesome for me.

Sounds like Werey has done it, but who knows how, he may have spent a lot of time setting it up which would be slower than 2 quick attempts. Hopefully he can fill us in on how he did it, and if he did it fast (ie a second quiicker than me)

Either way a high 1:33 is still standing as a possibility with 2 jumps and an incredibly flawless run, I think my run would have been 1:34.39 without the BS, so its really close!

Estimated Perfection:

2 Jumps = 1:33.9
1 jump   = 1:31.8

OLD REGULAR STRAT: a very high 1:50 is now possible with my new time saver!

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2009, 10:55:51 am »
Ok, i had a run yesterday and i got to the door by 49 second and through by 55. Is getting to the door that fast any good?

Paragod: I sometimes lose concentration if the ghost is there so i let him get me sometimes then i just go for the door. I got through on my first try. Sometimes from the rail i go straight to get through the door, home attack the ghost, then try again. But really i just hit the ghost and went straight for the door.. Yes i'm crap at explaining things but you should get what im saying heh.

Also: EPIC VIDEO :O

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2009, 02:27:57 pm »
Awesome video Paragod :D, and that shortcut... just epic, finally a great video of Pyramid Cave's first mission. I'm sure you can get a sub 1:35 there, you simply don't give up when you know you can do better :)
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Offline X-5

« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »
Ok, i had a run yesterday and i got to the door by 49 second and through by 55. Is getting to the door that fast any good?

as you can see I got to the door at 42 and made it through at 45, with 2 jumps, so I guess you took a lot of time carefully doing 1 jump.

Don't worry Brian, I am definitely not done with Pyramid Cave yet. If I ever manage to get through the door first try I will go for 1:32(nearly perfect) but if it refuses to let me through even after hundreds of tries I will forget trying for it and just go for a perfect 1:33 with 2 jumps.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2009, 04:39:46 pm »
No i dont, i just suck at the first half of the level.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »
Hi guys, I have some news, I've finally got a video capture card, so I won't need someone's camera anymore :D, and since we are talking about glitches, I have one to show you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6vdZvRyx6M

See ya'll later o/

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2009, 05:11:29 am »
thanks master final!!!!!!! I couldn't wait to see what you had to say about it. I had a feeling you'd really like it :)

Lol, how could I possibly not like such an awesome run. How could I not like ANY of your runs? You're known for pushing a record to its possible perfection or somewhere near that, so pretty much all of your vids are instantly awesome :D

That's about my speed, but it takes me a little longer to go through the door (usually at around 1:00) because I usually nail it on the 3rd or 4th try.

since we are talking about glitches, I have one to show you

That surely is awesome. Only bad thing is that I was hoping for another awesome Sonic/Shadow glitch. :D <_<
But that's a really nice discovery nonetheless, Brian! *thumbs up*

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #416 on: September 24, 2009, 03:44:26 pm »
That surely is awesome. Only bad thing is that I was hoping for another awesome Sonic/Shadow glitch. :D <_<
But that's a really nice discovery nonetheless, Brian! *thumbs up*

Thx Final :D, yeah unfortunately it's not a Sonic/Shadow trick :P

Also Paragod, can you upload your Final Rush mission 5 video? I really want to see it, my time is very bad :/

Offline X-5

« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »
Sorry Brian, but I never recorded any FR runs, 2:12 M5 or 2:07 M1. FR7 didn't record his 2:07 either, quite a shame neither of us did :(  At least everyone believes our times and aren't forcing us to produce a video :P

I really suck at FR now, I played M1 and I could only get 2:13. I could probably easily get into sub 2:10 range once I get used to it again, but I don't really feel like it.

Do you want to know what shortcuts and tricks I used or do you just want to see a flawless run for entertainment? If you only want a shortcut video, I could maybe sometime in the future throw together a sucky 2:20 run or something showing what I did, but if you want a perfect run I doubt I will be playing that level for a while, if ever. Sorry :(

You're known for pushing a record to its possible perfection or somewhere near that, so pretty much all of your vids are instantly awesome :D

I try, but I swear every video I make theres always a little mistake that costs maybe a tenth of a second or so and it always bugs me.. The only "perfect" runs I've ever been satisfied with are Green Hill (24.37 and 21.89) and metal harbor Mission 1 (1:13.67) and M2 (29.84) Actually I guess my FR 2:07 was satisfyingly perfect too. My building drop on CE1 used to bug me, but I guess really its no big deal, I bet your average person doesn't even see the flaw :P

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:40 pm »
I wasn't talking about the 2:12 run, I know you don't taped it :P, I wanted to see the 2:13 run, in your comment you said you taped it. Even knowing the shortcuts I can't get close to your time :/, I'm more capable to at least try to beat things when I see a video than when I just know how it's done :(

Offline X-5

« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2009, 10:39:08 pm »
ohh, heck man odds are I have taped over that by now, I am pretty sure when I got that time I was determined to get something better like 2:11 or 2:10 so I never bothered to upload anything, so I just taped over it with other levels probably thinking i'd eventually get what I want.

I will check all my tapes though, there is a chance it is on a tape I stopped using and therefore still exists.  Odds are its gone though, sorry Brian :(

Maybe i'll try the level and see if I can get anywhere near 2:12, just for you since you're awesome at SA2 and you've helped us all so much with so many crazy techniques and tricks..even glitches.

Print

Hits: 360 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.19 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.