don't click here

How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?

Print

Author Topic: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?  (Read 682801 times)

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
Re: How much time do you lose when you respawn from a checkpoint in SA2:B?
« Reply #810 on: November 18, 2009, 03:36:27 pm »
I may try this out when I have chance Final, it looks it can save more time than you expected since what Para said makes sense, if we can do 2 spindashes there this can make the beginning a lot faster :D.

Para, my ending in the Chao mission is fairly easy, I've thought about it 'cause I couldn't pull off blasest's strategy :P, after the vine I just light dash the rings, turn to the right and then do a superbounce at the wall behind you in the right side of that place, after that I just hold forward to make Sonic stay as close as possible to the Chao, then when I reach enough height to reach the Chao I just do a Homing Attack. I hope you understand everything, maybe I can make a video of it today for you :D

Talking about the superbounces on the tree, only the first one keeps failing to me 'cause sometimes I don't hit the A+B fast enough and go down the wall, or do it faster than I should and I light dash the damn ring xD, the second one I can only do if I stand on that place as in my vid, 'cause if I don't do this I always light dash one of the rings :/

My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • TSC: PoT
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 18, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »
I may try this out when I have chance Final, it looks it can save more time than you expected since what Para said makes sense, if we can do 2 spindashes there this can make the beginning a lot faster :D.
Got a 13.07 checkpoint with that. ^_^

My Channel: www.youtube.com/finalrush7
- Paragod is the best Sonic/Shadow SA2:B player ever.

Offline X-5

« Reply #812 on: November 18, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
thanks Brian, i'm not sure exactly how you do it yet but I am sure once I play I will figure it out, it is a small area after all. you can make a video to help others out if you want, but if it's just for me don't worry about it.

About the double spindash, I have no idea if it saves time or not really but it seems to not bounce as much as the other method which is a plus.

so master final.....when are we going to have that awesome FR5 competition? I can't wait!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 19, 2009, 02:50:44 am »
so master final.....when are we going to have that awesome FR5 competition? I can't wait!
Hmm, I don't know. I would suggest we start somewhere in mid December? We could start earlier if you want, though I fear the next few weeks are gonna me a bit more busy for me than usual. Though not before Dec 2nd, plz >_>

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #814 on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:39 am »
About the double spindash, I have no idea if it saves time or not really but it seems to not bounce as much as the other method which is a plus.
Not for me xD my spindash is too slow, I've been able to pull this off 2 times out of 11, which for me is very good, btw PoT, 13:07? This is just awesome! My best check was 13:52, but I don't tried with this strategy, I failed both times xD

Even you have said otherwise I made a lil vid of the ending, so you can know exactly how I do it :D, here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?oj1w4dmd5md
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:42 am »
That's a good strat Brian, but you are losing ~0.2 compared to blazest strategy. Though this doesn't matter too much, not like anyone's gonna come as close to your times soon.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #816 on: November 19, 2009, 10:51:10 am »
I know that :P, but if you do it right it takes the same time to pull off, btw the record is 50:20, I did it sometime ago but I forgot :D, in the video it wasn't as good as in my best runs, and I don't have choice, I simply can't do it with his strategy :/, but as I said, when you do it fast, it takes the same time to pull off or even a little less(nothing great, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 sec).

Offline X-5

« Reply #817 on: November 19, 2009, 02:58:28 pm »
heh I thought you guys were saying it was slower than what blazest used on his 56 video, which is what I do now and it yields 51.60 at best. you were talking about compared to his 52 though.

I bet I can get a good time now! thanks Brian, I think I will try yours first because it looks more doable than the other.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 19, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
The Topic Creator equals with this post the amount of posts of the number one topic by replies, The Official Top Tens Topic!

We are the number one!

EDIT: Talking about number one, Pyramid Cave 1 has officially been maxed by me! Never thought I'd ever hold a ring record alone ;D 3 days took the whole process, but I'm glad I have that behind me now. The run was around 43 minutes long.. (I still suck at going through the door). I'm also quite sure that the 5th mission of this level is going to profit from that, too. And Mission 4 has no checks so it isn't affected by that.
Also, my new super awesome cell phone just arrived, I wonder how much better my videos are gonna look now with the awesome 12.1 megapixel camera =D I guess I'll maybe make a partial run at some point, not too sure though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:29:26 pm by finalrush7_ »

Offline X-5

« Reply #819 on: November 19, 2009, 05:49:00 pm »
very cool! the only thing as good as setting a time record is setting an UNTIED ring record, around here it's shocking when a new max comes up since most are perfect. very nice

most replied to topic? i knew we could do it.......man......we.......we pwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #820 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
We're the number ONE!!! This is just great :D, we're keeping the SA2B competition alive! We deserve this.

Hey, you finally did it! I simply can't get back to the beginning :/, so congrats for being the first one to pull this off :D, now M5 will be very easy, and you can even take the record 2 times, since you can use the check to get a magnetic shield, then you get the secret ring, later you can use the check to get more rings, this way you'll appear in the index 2 times xD

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 20, 2009, 02:37:47 am »
Oh damnit, I meant to jokingly lock the topic for a couple of hours before it got to this point. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

<3 Thorn.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:19 am »
most replied to topic? i knew we could do it.......man......we.......we pwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, and the next step would be 1000 replies! Or 1000 posts should it stop at that, but I doubt it.

now M5 will be very easy, and you can even take the record 2 times, since you can use the check to get a magnetic shield, then you get the secret ring, later you can use the check to get more rings, this way you'll appear in the index 2 times xD
Oh, I can? Well, I'll see what I can do. Though of course I'll be going for the absolute max as always. Backtracking's the level is incredibly hard because of: 1) at one point you have to super bounce up to the pillar where there is a flame and you have to hit pretty much exactly the edge to not get burned, and 2) where you have to backtrack from the first checkpoint to the first U-tunnel. I just can't seem to make the camera stay still and face the small opening, it always shifts back and I can't see where I'm jumping to.. But that's not going to hinder me >:O

Oh damnit, I meant to jokingly lock the topic for a couple of hours before it got to this point. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.
Lol.. >_>

EDIT: Been doing some PC2 lately and I've been getting better and better. And now I just had a perfect run with the possibility of getting a time very near yoshi's and then Sonic missed the last box ring....... DAMN IT!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:09:01 pm by finalrush7_ »

Offline X-5

« Reply #823 on: November 21, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »
good job with all the great new records, except for one that I have a problem with:

CE1- M4 --- 427 rings?!?! what is up with that! you better get 440 right now!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »
Oh City Escape has been fucking with me for the last two days. I just can't seem to get ALL rings in the boarding section without having to slow down massively which would cut a lot of time. Anything else is pretty easy to get, except for a few certain rings that are on the left side of the first curve to the left (from Sonic's view) just after the third hill on the truck chase.
And since we're already talking about CE's rings, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've played CE5 for over 10 times now and I always end up with either 435-441 rings. ALWAYS. Where the hell could I be missing those rings..? When you suck rings towards you with the blue shield and you get too far away from them, they should return to the initial position, shouldn't they? I somehow have the feeling that I just lose them.. <_<

Offline X-5

« Reply #825 on: November 22, 2009, 12:29:06 am »
About M5, I don't know if the rings disappear or not. For some reason it seems to me like the rings would be lost forever, but I don't know the game inside and out so I can't know.

As for why you're missing rings on M5, assuming it's not from the shield...hmmm, I can't really think of any in particular. truck chase maybe? I doubt there's any stray rings you're missing if you sometimes get 4:41... just do the checkpoints, get a magnet shield, and trek very slowly. I had no problem with this record, except for the fact that it took me a while to figure out you can get a ring box from the mystic melody :P

For M4...I collected 440 rings in 2:30 once, that leaves you 30 seconds to play with if you need to slow down a little bit while boarding. Keep in mind the run was HORRIBLE, so you don't have to be perfect if you do go 30 seconds, just be quick.

For the truck, around the corners I suggest jumping instead of hitting the speed pads, and hitting B+A when sonic loops the corner and you should have no problem collecting the rings, and no problem staying far away from the truck. I always used this technique on all my rings and scores.

hope that helps you out a little bit my friend-o-final!

speaking of CE M4... if I made a near-perfect 440 ring/time run in the range of say.. sub 2:25 or even 2:20, would you enjoy watching it?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:54:17 am by Paragod »

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 22, 2009, 07:50:31 am »
Well I'll be trying out what you just said and see if it works for me. And you should remember that what is a HORRIBLE run in CE for you is probably a decent-to-quite good run for me! But the boarding section's ring are definitely very to get. I'm lucky if I can get 62 there, out of..74 I think? Oh well.. I'll paly a bit later and tomorrow and see if I can get them all. And I've been watching some RAs lately and damn it, why does even RA have to have at least one really difficult part where you have to backtrack the level.. :( But Sky Rail mission 4 rings looks really fun, and I know the record on TSC is 10 rings short of the max, so I may attempt that later..
speaking of CE M4... if I made a near-perfect 440 ring/time run in the range of say.. sub 2:25 or even 2:20, would you enjoy watching it?
1. I have never not enjoyed any of your vids, CE-masta
2. It's freaking City Escape, how dare you even ask me something like that?

Offline X-5

« Reply #827 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »
you can do it! if you can get impossible FC and sky rail records, you can get all the CE ring records. (GC)

1. I have never not enjoyed any of your vids, CE-masta
2. It's freaking City Escape, how dare you even ask me something like that?

1. that is true. :) at least I can do something right in my life
2. Just now sure if you would have any interest in such a run, in this case i'll also do a metal harbor 154 run in sub 1:25! maybe some others too if it's fun and they can produce lots of entertainment.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 22, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »
Yeah I know I should be able to, but it's not that much fun to me, so when I fail for like three times, I just turn away from that mission and play something else. I didn't have much time to play during the week, but I'm quite satisfied with what I could achieve during the weekends.
Also I'm not quite sure how people will like ring attack speed runs, but I guess you could record one or two and listen to the responses..? I got my new phone btw so I'm ready to tape some stuff. Maybe PC2 since I could get very close to yoshi with a different strat. Though I don't like the level THAT much, but that may change..!?

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #829 on: November 22, 2009, 05:10:52 pm »
Hey guys, I was in my dad's house so I haven't posted since I was enjoying my time with him and my little bro :D.

Hey PoT! You're planning on getting the M2 record of PC? You got so close since you missed the capsule at the end :D, keep trying you'll get it if you want to.

Also, why you're having problems with M5? It's far easier than M1, since you can get a shield at the very beginning, the backtracking is easier with it, but I understand your difficult to get all of the rings in the snowboading section of CE, it's a real pain in the ass for me too, that's why my M4 RA isn't maxed :/, but mission 5 and easier 'cause you can "kill" the truck.

And Para, you're the master of CE, what is easy for you is harder to us xD, I would like to see a Speed Ring Attack Run(does this really exist?) of any stage you can tape to us ^_^

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 22, 2009, 06:33:27 pm »
Well I'll definitely play it for another 2-3 hours and try for the record, but I'm honestly not too sure if missing the ring box really cost me 0.6 seconds seeing as that run was exceptionally good! Who knows though, I have a different strat than yoshi, so maybe I should attempt the next few runs with his?
I also meant to ask you two whether you knew how I can avoid to get a bit into the air after the first light dash in PC2? There's a speed panel right after the ring chain, but usually Sonic is sent a bit into the air and I have to wait for him to fall onto the panel. It happens only rarely that Sonic is not sent into the air and gets straight to the panel? Not sure if I explained that good, but I hope you get it..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:41:43 pm by finalrush7_ »

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #831 on: November 22, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »
Try it out with his strat then, maybe you can get a better time with it, and about the light dash, that's another really simple thing, like touching the wall after jumping to fall down faster, the deal is: You need to get at least the 2 first rings in the chain or else sonic will gain so much speed, and that will make him fly off the ground, each ring you get after the other make you gain more speed, so if you avoid getting some with the light dash, you'll have less speed than you should got it? I'm sure this will end this matter, just don't get the first 2 rings on the chain, it's like my strategy on the spring from WJ, it works every time, just try it out :)

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 23, 2009, 12:20:20 pm »
Hmm, that's very interesting. To me it seemed like as soon as there are 2 rings or more, Sonic would always have the same speed. I'm gonna try that out and I'm pretty sure it's going to work. That's going to save me a damn lot of retries! Thanks a lot my friend!
I also tried some GF3 today to find out that I completely suck, can even get under 56 <_< I sure hope that changes as the day goes by..

Offline X-5

« Reply #833 on: November 23, 2009, 03:36:44 pm »
you'll figure it out and nail 52 or better! For the PC2 thing, what Brian said is right as usual. This is the main reason I do not play the level much-- I cannot do that light dash properly hardly ever :(

anyway I got.... CE M4 AR Time: 2:22. watchy'all think? Good? Bad? Insane? I definitely wanna take it below sub 2:20, and I bet when I make the video it will help you out with just getting them all in 3:00, knowing the optimal strategies.

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 23, 2009, 04:23:18 pm »
I hit the last ring box and I'm pretty sure I got the record! But hey, why isn't the screen turning white? I pause (20.99) and notice that I have 99 rings, I must've missed a ring in the ring chain. Next run is gorgeous as well, though as usually I miss a ring, but seeing as that run was just so good, I continue only to pause a split second after I hit the last ring box and notice the counter at 20.55!!!!! Over the course of 400 lives on this level today, I get another 2 runs like this. One ends up with 20.67, the other with 20.73.
But then, on my 8th-to-last run, with a very very small error: 20.79!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my 10th time record =D

That was just crazy. I finally got everything right! That record was absolute hell to get, not only because yoshi set an amazing time for me to beat, but also because I don't like PC THAT much, and this mission is just FULL OF BS! From the not always at the same time changing camera at the first second to the two very difficult to light dash ring chains to the 20ring box that you just can't see and you can only HOPE to hit it, and then hope for the hit not to stop your run by going too far to the left or right, to the last ring chain that Sonic sometimes stopped light dashing in the middle of the chain to the last ring box that I somehow missed on a beautiful run 2 days ago. (!!!!)

Yes I set 52 as my goal but that level gave me almost as much BS as PC2 did, so I might avoid it for a few days <_<
And 2:22 sounds awesome! Seems like sub2:20 isn't too difficult for you, eh? Well, you might wanna try to get 2:15:75 (if that time says you something..?)

Offline X-5

« Reply #835 on: November 23, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »
crazy awesome mega super run man heck YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a big leap towards 41/41, very glad it was not left up to me.

2:15.75..that would be a cool time. Probably near perfection, but hey that's the name of my game!

at this rate though, you will no longer be the final master... you'll be the sonic master!

imagine you getting 41/41 by yourself. it'd be FR7 > PA = woah!

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 23, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
Yes we reached a new high of 37/41! 39/41 if you count talon

Metal Harbor 1 - That has to be you. You're the only one with the skill and the needed console :P
Crazy Gadget 2 - Seems really hard, but it's not unbeatable.
Radical Highway 3 - Perfect you say? I'm not that good at RH, so I will unfortunately have to leave this one to you. You are very close, but is that record really that perfect?
White Jungle 2 - No idea on this one, but I'm sure one of us could take it if we really try. Or at least I hope so..

Then again, we could make a challenge out of the challenge and say that we will only start the FR5 competition when we have 41/41? No.. xD

Near perfection is the name of your game? The Paragod that I know's name is PERFECTION. =D And you're already giving me too much credit! Sonic master? Did we agree that that person was you? <_< And while there are many reasons why 41/41 is impossible for me to do alone, be it because of the version differences (MH, GF) or be it because the record is just too good, 2 words should be enough here. City Escape.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #837 on: November 23, 2009, 09:06:20 pm »
Wow! That's a really awesome time bro! I always thought about that record to be almost unbeatable! I'm happy I could help you with this one :D

Hey Para, do you really think you need to tape a sub 2:20 run to look awesome? C'mon all your runs are awesome! The only guy who can tie Paragod's videos is someone called persononearth!

37/41(or 39/41, which is better but not official :/) is almost there! I hope I can get some other records in this game as Sonic/Shadow, or else you guys will take all of them to yourselves xD

Offline finalrush7_

• Mr. Final
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2009, 03:04:00 am »
Thanks man! The record sure was tough, with a perfect run 20.5 would be possible, but there's just too much BS during these 20 seconds <_< And it's become pretty standard for you to help me out, hasn't it? =D

I counted it quickly and I can't believe Paragod is still over the 50% mark with 21/41 record!! Though no hurry with the records Brian..

The only guy who can tie Paragod's videos is someone called persononearth!
Oh I c wut u did thar >_<

Offline X-5

« Reply #839 on: November 26, 2009, 02:19:30 pm »
your new MH3 time sucks because it's not 23. =p

Print

Hits: 1,022 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.