Poll

who's the best?

Jawzun - Emerald Coast - 1:00.90
7 (31.8%)
Paragod - City Escape - 1:36.89
15 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Emerald Coast -VS- City Escape  (Read 15427 times)

Offline X-5

Emerald Coast -VS- City Escape
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:07:51 pm »
Both of these levels have been played to death, and are very close to max and blow the old F-Man records away by a shocking amount. ( EC 1:06.75 which is outdated by 5.85s, and CE 1:50.32 which is outdated by 13.43)

So.. which one is the craziest, best, and hardest to beat?

Pros: 

a. Very hard to play at Jawzun's level, mistakes are extremely easy to make.

b. very close to max

c. crazy stunts are pulled off(like spindashing around the lighthouse) which are very hard to do consistently, as well as the jump panel glitch on the panel after the whale.

d. I am not jawzun, but I would assume nervousness kicks in somewhere around the 40 sec checkpoint.

e. "nobody can beat me at emerald coast!" -Jawzun

Cons:

a. Makes a silly mistake and restarts at a checkpoint at the very beginning, this if forgivable though since the rest was done in a clean run.

b. The level is considerably shorter than CE, thus less time to make mistakes, and possibly less practice required as there is fewer tough parts to overcome.
City Escape: 1:35 is barely possible

Pros:

a. Made sure to do the whole thing in one clean run, regardless of how tempting checkpoint abuse is when you have a crazy run going.

b. pulls off many harder strategies(like spindash bouncing the very first rail) just to save a tenth or two.

c. nervousness is very hard to overcome whilst doing the truck section.

d. very few if any spots of un-optimization, unless you compare the run to TAS standards, which would be silly.

Cons:

a. 2 tenths are lost boarding

b. building drop was done oddly, may have lost a little time.

so..... who's da best?! I would appreciate you explaining your vote.

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: Emerald Coast -VS- City Escape
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:03:54 am »
My emerald coast video seems pretty awesome, but it's nothing compared to your city Escape one, which is just the most insane run of a Sonic game I've ever seen.

My emerald coast video might tie with yours when I get something like 59.70 (or lower) with no check abuse. I'm voting for City Escape, of course.

still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:02:44 am »
Both times are crazy!!! You both are legends. Maybe only a 1:22 Green Forest m1 would tie with these. But I`m not a SADX player, and I voted in Jawzun`s time `cause I`m pretty sure that I cannot even do close to that, the same goes to your time Paragod, I`ll never do that in City Escape, I don`t even dream with it, but considering the circumstances, Jawzun`s time is harder for me to do. ;)
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:36:57 am »
To me, it looks as if both are almost impossible, seeing how Jawzun skips most of Emerald coast 1 and how Paragod goes at an insane speed. I say they tie.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:38:54 am »
which is just the most insane run of a Sonic game I've ever seen.

Not to discredit paragod, but I think stanski's single segment sonic 2 run is even more insane.

In these two videos, I have to side with city escape, but both times are amazing and well out of my range.

Offline X-5

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:35 am »
which is just the most insane run of a Sonic game I've ever seen.

Not to discredit paragod, but I think stanski's single segment sonic 2 run is even more insane.

In these two videos, I have to side with city escape, but both times are amazing and well out of my range.

you are talking about his 18 or so minute run on SDA right? if so HECK yeah you are totally right that it is the most insane sonic run in history, he would always make a great run that I loved watching and beat it by 2 minutes and it was that much more amazing. my accomplishments are very little compared to his run, mainly because I only have 1:36 to play, he has 18 minutes. stanski is extremely consistent throughout that run and it is excellence in the highest possible speed-running standard. and to me, being so great playing through a whole entire game will always be more impressive, even more impressive than CE 1:35 which would probably take me 200-500 more hours lol :P

Offline X-5

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
My emerald coast video might tie with yours when I get something like 59.70 (or lower) with no check abuse. I'm voting for City Escape, of course.

59 with no checkpoints would be a wonderful time and be great to watch, if you pull that off it would definitely be a candidate to be crowned as the best site record!

brian.. I do not really think we are legends, we just have lots of free time ;)

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:46:46 pm »
I picked CE, I was just amazed when I saw that run.
Although Jawzun's run is awesome too.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:02:37 pm »
I have to go with Paragod's City Escape on this one.  I have a harder time with doing well on Emerald Coast, but I'm not much of a SA(DX) time attacker.  How he managed to do such a great run, especially with the truck chase, with no deaths astonished me.  I can never get that truck chase section done right on the first try.
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Stefan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:41 am »
The truck chase is not the most impressive part of that run dude >_>.

Offline X-5

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
what do you think the most impressive part is?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:03 pm »
being able to do the building and rail bounces without mistakes.

Offline Azure

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 08:58:22 am »
I'm going to be a bit contrary (as usual) and go with Emerald Coast. Although Paragod's CE time is absolutely insane, it has been tied by someone on Youtube by the name of PersonOnEarth.

I think Jawzun's record is slightly more impressive, because even though it's far from absolute max (I'd say ~0:59:50 at the insanest), only a few people have ever gotten to 1:01 territorry. Although there's only two or three people who've gone sub 1:40 in CE overall, that's probably because most people are not willing to do hundreds, or even thousands, of tries just to get everything quite right without making mistakes. Your time here is determined a lot by luck sometimes, since it's always about keeping momentum up (especially on those darned grind rails). So, even a sucky player might be able to get 1:45 or less if he just tried a few hundred times.

Emerald Coast, however, doesn't require a perfect run to do well. It does, however, require skill. No matter how many times you try here, if you don't have enough skill, you just can't get a great time. Each player here has a set max based on their skill, and can rarely get lucky enough to get a time they might not deserve. In CE, it's possible for almost anyone to acheive insane times if they try (maybe not 1:36's, but good times). 

Paragod's CE is very impressive, and deserves recognition as a great run, especially since he actually has probably the best time-attacking skill (for Sonic, at least) overall in this game.

Edit: THAT'S IT DARNIT THIS TOPIC HAS INSPIRED NEW TARGET TIMES

CE: 1:48 (I'm not expecting to get lucky)
Emerald Coast: 1:01 (I know it can be done)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:04:19 am by Azure »

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 03:12:37 pm »
I'm going to be a bit contrary (as usual) and go with Emerald Coast. Although Paragod's CE time is absolutely insane, it has been tied by someone on Youtube by the name of PersonOnEarth.
Hmmm aint that your video paragod?
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline X-5

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 05:27:26 pm »
yeah the 1:36 video is mine, I believe I am definitely the only one(thus far) with enough determination, free time, and love for CE to nail a 1:36.

Azure I respect your opinion and views, but you have a lot of things wrong.

first.. I do think I am the only one who is sub 1:40 on CE, the second best time ever is 1:44 as far as I know, show me a video of lower if I am wrong(with video sites out there I could be wrong)

second, CE is hardly luck anymore. If you follow F-Man's video yes I agree a lower skilled player who got lucky with not bouncing on the hills could beat him, but I created techniques to eliminate almost all of the luck..lets see.

hills- spindash them properly and you will never fly off. if you do go off you messed up, no luck at all. same with the truck section, they are just harder because you have to watch for the right colored cars to time them, and stay in the middle of the line in the road to not fly off during the two turns. no luck at all with any hills!

rails- huh? I can grind any rail with 100% consistency, not only is there no luck here it is very easy to do at any skill level.

boarding- no..

momentum- I can keep my momentum just fine.

So really, I would say there is maybe 1% luck involved for CE if you use (my?) strategies, that 1% being sometimes the tram car may be in your way at about 45-47 seconds. If the level was mostly luck, I would never have a time even sub 1:40. I spent 2000 hours finding new strategies and optimizing my ability, not trying to get lucky.

If you still think theres any luck, name the spot and I will tell you how to manipulate it to the point where it is ability through practice rather than luck.

Emerald coast is insane(even at 1:00.9 which is nearly perfect) but CE is NOT luck! I am fine with you thinking EC is better, but I am not okay with you thinking CE is all luck! :P

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:46:10 pm »

I didn't say it was the most impressive part, I just said I was astonished he did it without having to check abuse. <_<

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Offline Maru Kiba

• The Oltanis Team Sub-Leader
  • TSC: Maru_Kiba
  • winxp firefox
  • Maru Kiba of The Oltanis Team
    • View Profile
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
I can barely reach 1:46 with a little hard work, but I always miss the timing for the ramps at the truck part, because I don't expect there. I always get ready to hit the A but When I get there I'm always too little early. So if I miss it I keep going. If I could hit the two ramps at that part, I would have 1:46. But I if I miss them I get more than 1:48 and Less than 1:58.
Other times it is the boarding part in the beginning which I am beginning to master. Just that if I stop hitting cars I could reach a better time. Every time I do the board I hit at least 1 car!
The Oltanis Team. Is made up of 9 strong and special members.
Leader (Gold-Black): Tanor Zeta Faux
Sub-Leader (Crimson): Maru Akane Kiba
Gold General (Yellow): Tana Iota Faux
Silver General (Purple): Kota Aura Rae
Bronze General (Ice Blue): Eis Sam Makai
Squad Leader (Dark Blue): Salza H. Refurin
Castle Guardian (White): Nathan S. Graves
Rune Mistress (Lavender): Forsha Timbre
Storm Dragon (Dark Grey): Helios Darkus Kiba
---
http://s917.photobucket.com/home/MaruKiba/index

Where i'll store my pics for proofs and what not. If you want to find the proof on stats, go here. I'm not posting them on the comment page for stats anymore.

Offline Azure

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 07:12:12 pm »
Emerald coast is insane(even at 1:00.9 which is nearly perfect) but CE is NOT luck! I am fine with you thinking EC is better, but I am not okay with you thinking CE is all luck! :P

What you said just changed my opinion a lot. Your CE run, since it is a whole 8 or so seconds from the next-best run, shows that you have some of the greatest skill in the game and were willing to practice enough to get almost everything perfect.

I guess after the sub 2-minute mark (which a lot of people could get to if they tried), what they can do from there is based on skill.

I still believe that small mistakes can greatly impair a run in this level, but not to a degree that would cancel out your general ability in the game.

So if I implied that CE took less skill to acheive, that is wrong. I believe Jawzun and Paragod are both masters in their respective games, neither one superior to the other.

Offline X-5

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 08:50:46 pm »

I didn't say it was the most impressive part, I just said I was astonished he did it without having to check abuse. <_<

every single one of my SA2 sonic and shadow times are done without checkpoint abuse(the currently submitted ones, of course old records from when I sucked did) It is intentional, and I think it made me a much better player than I would have been if I kept habitually using them all the time.

So if I implied that CE took less skill to acheive, that is wrong. I believe Jawzun and Paragod are both masters in their respective games, neither one superior to the other.

me and jawzun definitely pushed the levels beyond anybody's expectations :P he is very good, once he finally beat F-Man we traded the record a few times, and finally he got his time so great(1:02) I stopped and decided he was the best.  Now he has 1:00, and maybe someday under a minute! it would look very cool on the ranks if obtained huh?

I think the key advantage that makes my CE record so "insane" is that once I beat F-Man's 1:50.32 I had the level all to myself, there was no pressure at all with somebody being higher on the chart than me. I just periodically got better and better.. no pressure, no worry.. when you already have the record and you know it can be better, it is very easy to play and beat it at your own pace. Today, 1:36 is such a highly optimized run(flawlessness and strategy) to a newcomer the run is just so intimidating at how well you have to play and how many tough things I pulled off in one run.. they will probably give up. If the record was 1:36 when I got here I would be lucky to get 1:50, but F-Man's run was not perfect so I had hope at getting the record... once I got it.... I just got better and better casually over time til I got what I have today.

but we will see.. I have a feeling someone great will eventually beat me.. and when they do.. EVERYBODY will throw a PARTY for them!!!!!!!!!!!! especially if they do it in less than 2000 hours, which they probably will cause they would not have to improve their strategy over and over like I did.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:24:15 pm by Paragod »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 09:04:42 pm »

Ok, what I mean to say is, it's pretty easy to do.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
Well then okay. :(

Print

Hits: 268 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.