don't click here

Hands-on report on M&S at the Olympic Games.

Print

Author Topic: Hands-on report on M&S at the Olympic Games.  (Read 4405 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Hands-on report on M&S at the Olympic Games.
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:24:36 pm »
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/mariosonicattheolympicgames/news.html?sid=6181759&tag=topslot;title;1
So far, the game is turning out pretty well (I thought it would). Called one of the most physically demanding video games ever. (Not those words exactly but its heavily implied.) The events that are most impressive are the hurdles, high jump, 4x100 Freestyle (swimming), and Table Tennis, according to GS the most fun event so far. This game is quite challenging, with the Javelin Throw, Triple Jump, Fencing, and 400m Hurdles being the most challenging events.

-Edit: I propose a TSC Competition bill to abbreviate this game M&SOG. All in favor say AYE.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: Hands-on report on M&S at the Olympic Games.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:18:11 pm »
Anti-aye.

Use 'ms'. Honestly, it's not taken or anything, and your abbreviation is too long. Why not tack on 2 more letters and just write 'olympics'?

...Oh wait, microsoft. 'mso'?

Anyways call me Mr. Skeptic, but most of these games like too similar for my liking. How many times can they reinvent a "swing the wiimote back and forth" game? The answer is obviously tons. Tons of times. Under the pretense that each is radically different for the length of time you'll need to spend on the event.

The environment looks drab as well. I understand this is the Olympics, and therefore it's going to be a boring 'oh look I'm in a stadium' atmosphere, but other Mario games have never been dragged down this much by realism. Games like Mario Tennis or Mario Kart still manage to bring some flavor into play instead of "you're on a clay court and you're Mario isn't this fun", or "look you're on a racetrack as Yoshi this is simply amazing". Mso is far too unimaginative for my liking. There's Sonic and there's Mario, but they're more or less cardboard-cutout athletes because you don't see anything you can recognize definitively from either franchise. This is just like if instead of making Mario Strikers, they took FIFA and replaced everyone with Mario characters. Where are the iconic shells, or the universally recognized fire flowers? Games like this are blatant cashins, mso moreso for the Sonic/Mario tie-in.

The gameplay itself doesn't sound very entertaining to me either. Most of the events are short, and rather bland. Running in particular sounds like a chore. I mean, swinging the wiimote up and down is hardly engaging which mso is trying to be. Your character getting winded is just dumb, and it places artificial limitations on what you can do. I can think of no respectable game that intentionally hinders your movement for going too quickly. Shouldn't you getting winded, as these events are supposedly demanding, be what prevents you from a mad hatter dash to the finish? I'm willing to bet they realized how easy it is to get a perfect time and needed some way to balance it out. Really, there's only so fast the sensor bar can track your movements, and getting winded only spaces things out a little, which is why I doubt mso will be competition worthy. I have a billion other complaints about this game, but for the sake of time I'll let these points be digested and addressed before I front more.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:35:42 pm »
Well it looks good to me, at least. I own sydney olympics for the PC and I find that game unbelievably entertaining, especially when "rediscovering it".Take sydney olympics, add a gimmick controller, familiar characters, and fun events like ping pong/archery/fencing, and I see a very fun game in the making.

Unfortunately, $50 is a very hefty price. =/

also, why not just mso? or olys? or ms@o? or olympics? Or m+s? m&saog is just lame. :(

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:44:19 pm »
* Ring Rush for M&S.

Also, what will happen when TMC goes up? Will it be on both sites or just TSC? Or just TMC?
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:51:40 pm »
If we track this, I'd imagine that it goes under the Sonic Center for accessibility. Everyone visits the main sites, but the subsites...not so much. The Mario Center is still in development anyways. Do you think they'll be up in 11 days?

Alternatively, it could be possible to submit from either subsite toward a single rankings page. I don't think each individual subsite weights competition to determine the top players, so this would work.

Also you have to question the timing of this release. 6 days before Galaxy? I'll pass.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:01:13 pm »
I knew from the start it'd turn out good (on that note, I used MSatOG before you all so.. INSTANT WIN! XD jk).

The Dream Race appeals to me the most. :D
Although they said they didnt see everything, does that mean there are secret events, exc. Dream Events? I thought IGN revealed them all...

I question the game's single-player campaign: it's longevity and appeal.

Also, 59.99 CDN is ridiculous (70 bucks essentially unless parity is instituted in some retailers by then...). I'd rather spend my 70bucks on something more worthwhile: Rayman 2 or even Galaxy or NiGHTS.

Also, TMC won't track it. I WOULD say my sub-site has more of a chance but the way things are so up in the clouds lately, that wouldn't be completely true.

Most I'd pay is 39.99 or 45.99. 59.99 is just too much for me.

Oh, genus: you getting Mario Kart Wii. I REALLY hope you organize a tournament/I could help you. I'm eagerly awaiting the game's release! (Oh, and I've played Wi-fi on my friend's MKDS and I suck on most tracks. Then again, I dont play often as its not mine.)
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 09:19:39 pm »
Does anyone want to know what I think?

I thought the trampoline game looks fun but yea this game looks like a total rip off.

Not that many events and they all look pretty pathetic particularly those slow running events.

The fact that it is an Olympics game as genus pointed out makes the game feel even more decadent and pointless. I mean why even bother having Mario and Sonic in the game when you can play as your own Mii!! revolutionary, I say. A Mario Party game with Sonic would be way better since Mario Party has more variety and actually some depth and then you'd have Sonic themed boards and stuff. Ok yea a random observation but it came up in a discussion elsewhere.

If I had a Wii and actually had some money I would never get this game. I'd wait for Mario Kart. I would get Mario Party 8 over this game. As compelling as it is having Sonic in a spinoff game, you just know Mario Party 8 is a vastly better game. Aren't I right? Do YOU have Mario Party 8?

Anyway I propose abbreviating it mo or something. It's for all intents and purposes a Mario game, and if it's going to be tracked on the main site, the Sonic part is inferred already. mo! Like ms but not microsoft. or MOG

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 02:48:56 pm »
Yeah, I have MP8 but I'm sure MSatOG will be better in SOME respects (e.g., better single-player incentive).

Anyway, I think Mii incorporation here is just plain retarded...

I'm slowly losing my hopes in/for this game. On the bright side, it'll be better than "that Sports game" we all (okay.. most) know and love.. actually, I'm sick of Wii Sports but thats just me.

Oh and eggy, saving up for MKWii over this is a wise decision, indeed.
Wiiloveit

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:06:59 pm »
AYE.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:04:46 pm »
I want it more so than I did before now, to tell you the truth.
After Rayman 2, MSOG is definitely next on my top priority list as far as gaming is considered. That and Galaxy, naturally.

Oh, and 49.99 for new releases in CDN!!! Sweet! No more ridiculous pricing on games, ftw.
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 03:37:16 pm »
So.. any notable records anyone wants to share (its not like people would go to my subsite topic anyway XD). I'm really looking fwd to the Dream Race the most.
Wiiloveit

Print

Hits: 100 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.