don't click here

You heard it here first

Print

Author Topic: You heard it here first  (Read 48119 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Re: You heard it here first
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 04:52:28 am »
Maybe it turns out it's useless as Jigglypuff's rollout.
I call BS!

However, the Up+B spring attack is epic win.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 09:45:20 am »
However, the Up+B spring attack is epic win.

Just be careful not to use it on the ground unless you want others to get to your height.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 10:11:36 am »
I have made the assertion that Sonic will probably be low tier based purely on the fact that everyone will play as him to start with (and, for the moment, I'm going to stand by it). It wouldn't exactly be beneficial for the metagame for everyone to learn Sonic and for him to be in the top tier, would it?

I can confidently say they don't plan the tiers like that. I doubt they plan the tiers at all (with gag characters like Pichu being an exception, obviously). It'd be retarded to aim for anything less than a completely balanced roster.

Whether or not Sonic is usable is another question. He looks pretty insane from the vids I've seen, but it could be he just looks comparatively powerful. His neutral special (confirmed in various videos) is a homing attack. Sidespecial into homing attack sounds brutal...but once more, we haven't actually played it. Maybe it turns out it's useless as Jigglypuff's rollout.

We can rule that out. Rollout is useless (yes, Aitamen, it's useless :P) because it takes ages to charge to any potentially useful level, and when you do, its very difficult not to go shooting off an edge due to poor direction changing and inability to jump or just plain stop. Sonic, can charge an effective spin-dash in a workable amount of time (or maybe none at all, we haven't clearly seen the distinction between the forwardB and downB versions of the move yet), can jump from it with full midair mobility, and can then subsequently do another one in midair just in case he went over the edge.

Also, a couple of small details I've noticed. His logo is the classic one, and Super Sonic sparkles in a manner similar to Hyper Sonic from S3&K (or maybe just regular Super Sonic moving at full speed). Hooray for old-skoolness amidst the new stuff.

Oh, and regarding the spring, we can presume that Sonic pratfalls from it (I don't know what everyone calls it, the fall after an UpB or airdodge during which you can't do anything) but will that apply to oppurtunists who use the spring? A potentially interesting Achilles' heel.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 10:39:07 am »
We can rule that out. Rollout is useless (yes, Aitamen, it's useless :P) because it takes ages to charge to any potentially useful level, and when you do, its very difficult not to go shooting off an edge due to poor direction changing and inability to jump or just plain stop.
You can turn around. Which is awesome for hitting people that avoided the attack the first time you passed.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 11:01:05 am »
We can rule that out. Rollout is useless (yes, Aitamen, it's useless :P) because it takes ages to charge to any potentially useful level, and when you do, its very difficult not to go shooting off an edge due to poor direction changing and inability to jump or just plain stop.
You can turn around. Which is awesome for hitting people that avoided the attack the first time you passed.

I said "poor" not "non-existant". :P It takes too long and is too hard to control.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 12:48:08 pm »
He'll probably end up being like SC's Maxi in terms of a character; has real potential to be deadly, but it will take a skilled hand to rein him in once he starts going (one of Maxi's weaknesses).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »
Green Hill seems like an obvious choice for Sonic's home turf. However, the 'greenery' stage idea isn't exactly unique to the Sonic series, and we don't want every home turf covered in... well, turf (Mario series characters tend to have at least one green stage, DK gets foresty stages...).

I found it interesting that the music they used for that Sonic teaser video was Live & Learn. So Sonic's level could perhaps be City Escape... or perhaps Station Square... some kind of city stage. Or perhaps the ARK, at the risk of having another space level, when it's from not exactly a spacey game. I'd imagine they'd use a 3D Sonic level idea, if not then probably Green Hill.

I doubt they'd use a Sonic06 level, as that's not what they seem to be basing this Sonic off of. Otherwise, his specials could have involved the various gem moves... then again, if it was Adventure Sonic they were going for, they'd have bounce attack and fire somersault etc... So maybe, given also what is said in the dojo update, with this 'classic' simple Sonic style, they'll go for a classic level?

oh oh OH I know what it should be... Hidden Palace!!

Also, I'll be interested to hear details of his Final Smash. Evidently it involves turning Super, but will that entail just being able to fly around invincibly? With more powerful attacks? With a new superpowerful attack?

One final note... I wonder who might make an appearance as an assist trophy... or maybe as part of a stage environment...
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 02:17:41 pm »
All for having Sonic's Break the Targets tracked on TSC? <_<

And CF if there is a Sonic assist trophy it will obviously be Tails.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 03:33:35 pm »
I'll be interested to hear details of his Final Smash. Evidently it involves turning Super, but will that entail just being able to fly around invincibly? With more powerful attacks? With a new superpowerful attack?

Replies to those questions here.
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 01:21:11 am »
I'll be interested to hear details of his Final Smash. Evidently it involves turning Super, but will that entail just being able to fly around invincibly? With more powerful attacks? With a new superpowerful attack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7LEQ6Ojww
I found a better one. This is the full version and it appears that they did some awesomely unnoticed edits from those videos. As you can see, Super Sonic just flys around. Although, he might be able to pull of some attack, but that's just asumption. Also, it seems that Sonic's Up+B gives you tremendous hight, yet it will have almost no control once it's launced.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 05:04:37 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7LEQ6Ojww
I found a better one. This is the full version and it appears that they did some awesomely unnoticed edits from those videos. As you can see, Super Sonic just flys around. Although, he might be able to pull of some attack, but that's just asumption. Also, it seems that Sonic's Up+B gives you tremendous hight, yet it will have almost no control once it's launced.
The Fan is back. Rejoice. >_>

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 02:19:06 pm »
Tails in the Tornado for the assist trophy, blaaaatantly.

ps. ssbb on tsc amirite.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Print

Hits: 954 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.11 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.