don't click here

Graphics style.

Print

Author Topic: Graphics style.  (Read 6073 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Graphics style.
« on: April 28, 2007, 04:06:56 pm »
Which graphic style in Sonic games do you like best? Since the series has undergone a lot of cosmetic changes since its beginning...
I personally like both the psychedelic and anime-esque style of Sonic CD as well as the cold, realistic one from Sonic 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 (which I seem to prefer...). While the cartoony, flashy, eye-blinding graphics of for example Sonic 2 or Heroes suck @$$ for me.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

Re: Graphics style.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:35:05 pm »
Sonic 1 wasn't all that realistic...look at Green Hill Zone ffs.

I've not fully experienced Sonic CD, but what I've seen is quite appealing in terms of design.

But as for my favourite...I'm actually not sure. I do like the slightly abstracted style used in the earlier games, but I'm hesitant to say I think it's better than the more realistic environments used in the 3D titles (Heroes aside), because I think it was more a result of technical limitations (having to make a world based around such gameplay mechanics in 2D) than a real conscious design decision (though I could be wrong).

Then again you could argue that the more realistic setting of recent games is also not a conscious design decision: it's just going with (relative) realism because, well, that's how things are done these days, right? Although the space levels in SA2 (especially Final Rush and to a lesser extent Final Chase) kind of throw a spanner into the works with this idea.

The Mario games had more cartoony abstraction: just look at SMB3 and SMW. That I really like. It's also not been translated literally with the transition to 3D, but I feel Mario has remained truer to his roots (even Mario Sunshine had a cartoony feel to its environments, despite an arguable aspect of realism).

Uh, not sure where I'm going with this...so I'll stop before I go into a long ramble.

Good topic, though.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:37:09 pm »
Sonic06, easy

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:09:11 pm »
For me, S3&K was easily the most beautiful game of its generation, just as S2 was by far the best playing platformer of the time.  06 is pretty decent on the eye candy stakes too.  Heroes and Shadow are painfully lol.  I must also admit a soft spot for 8-bit Sonic graphics; doing a lot with a little makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17:25 pm »
For me, S3&K was easily the most beautiful game of its generation, just as S2 was by far the best playing platformer of the time........

Agrees on the S3&K one the levels were great good music and the backgrounds were great also.Mostly liked the hidden palace level
and sky sanctuary
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 09:22:39 pm »
Sonic CD

seriously, some of those past/future zones are just flippin sweet

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:08:41 am »
Sonic 1 wasn't all that realistic...look at Green Hill Zone ffs.
Green Hill Zone being the only exception:

Marble Zone: Greek-style temples and castle-like backgrounds.

Spring Yard Zone: A city at the mountainside.

Labyrinth Zone: Ancient underwater temple/ruins.

Starlight Zone: Unfinished city.

Scrap Brain: Factory-like area.

Okay, it's not that realistic, but it does have a realistic touch in it.

And thanks for the
Good topic, though.

No comment on Shadow the Hedgehog. (lol, grey and red) >_>
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Print

Hits: 136 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.