don't click here

Here comes a new Rival!!!

Print

Author Topic: Here comes a new Rival!!!  (Read 8654 times)

Offline MrNomad

Here comes a new Rival!!!
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:11:15 pm »
Hi everyone, i am MrNomad. I found this site one day as i was looking for a site about sonic the hedgehog, and needless to say this caught my attention. To me it sounds very thrilling, setting records in sonic games and challenging others to best it! I wanna make videos of any sonic game i have, whether sonic 1, SA2 or the 2k6 sonic. Can anyone help me with wat exactly i would need to make and put on my comp a speed video and how i would submit it? Thanx in advance.

Offline SadisticMystic

Re: Here comes a new Rival!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:31:37 pm »
To record from a more modern game like SA2 or the recent Sonic the Hedgehog title, you'll need either 1) a VCR and a willingness to send a tape by mail to someone who can convert it to a computer-readable format; 2) a DVD recorder and a drive on your computer capable of at least reading DVDs; or 3) a TV tuner card for your computer so that you can capture composite input directly to a video stream (if you use choice 1, you'll send the tape to someone who's capable of choice 3).

Old games for systems with comparatively slow processors, such as the Genesis games, can be emulated fairly easily.  If you have the original Genesis and games you can use one of the above options, or you can run the game in an emulator and either use a separate screen-capture program to grab the window, or you can use a modified version of Gens at http://upthorn.mspencer.net/gens_movie_9Z.zip which has an option in the TAS Tools menu whereby the emulator records its own output to an AVI file.

In order to submit a video you've made, you can go to the left-hand bar and click the Videos link that's under Submissions (not under Media).  Make sure you've compressed it to a sane size (probably 2-6MB per minute), then point to the file from your hard drive on the upload form.

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:39:42 pm »
Also note that you need permission from an administrator if you don't already have it.

Try not to submit videos for stats that aren't decent.

And remember, you do not need to submit a video just to submit a stat.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:12:13 am »
Hey there dude, welcome to TSC :D

* Spinballwizard mauled by RPG

(Hey, at least it isn't (edit: damn "word" filter))
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:00 am »
cool, thanks for the info, hey all. I hope one day i can submit my runs and earn some medals of honor =P

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 05:39:58 am »
Hello and welcome.

When I tried to use my parents' DVD recorder to capture my run of Stardust Speedway Zone 2, the time lag made it almost impossible. >.<
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:49:26 am by P.P.A. »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Blitz

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:32:01 am »
Hey there dude, welcome to TSC :)
RPG, I personally request non-lazy use of a webcam and sugar.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:02:18 am »
Thx, hey wat are those chaos emeralds doing under ur reply? Doesnt sonic nee- *ahem* I mean how do i get those??

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:06:07 am »
You can obtain Emeralds like Silvers and much more besides, every thing you need to know is located here: http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?board=107.0
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 10:08:25 am »
You can obtain Emeralds like Silvers and much more besides, every thing you need to know is located here: http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?board=107.0
do u hafta post a video in order to get an emerald or can u post the time?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 10:12:18 am »
You'll submit something that's like a video, only easier to make. 
Go to http://retrobase.net/gensplus/ and download that emulator version, then tell it to record an input file.  Then just start playing, and when you satisfy the challenge you're going for, stop the input movie.  You'll end up with a .giz file.  Post in that topic, and under Additional Options, choose to attach that file so that someone can watch it.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 10:12:58 am »
You can use the Gens+ emulator and use its built in recording system to get a .giz movie to post.

Edit: Damn you, SM.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 08:18:07 pm »
Speaking of webcams, that's a fourth way of recording a video. That's how I do my videos.
(Of course, it doesn't have to be a webcam. Any video camera that can connect to the PC will do.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 08:20:41 pm »
A 5th way too.  Record to a VHS tape, then record that footage to a DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW disc.

Print

Hits: 152 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.