don't click here

O-BS-ity

Print

Author Topic: O-BS-ity  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
O-BS-ity
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:42:34 pm »
So my mom had the Today show on this morning (God knows why), and they had a report on so-called "hidden fats" found in the standard American refridgerator. They started by mentioning 5 common household food items and mentioning how "unhealthy" they are. Of those 5, 4 of them exist in my home, and 1 of which is "worse." These "unhealthy" items are: 2% milk (we drink whole), white bread, fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt, juice boxes (I don't drink them, but they're there.), and applesauce. To remedy this, they suggest 1% milk (Half the fat, half the taste!), whole grain bread (Mmm, fartilicioius.), plain, fat-free yogurt (Yeah, because plain yogurt tastes good...), 100% juice boxes (No complaints, really.), and sugar free applesauce (Sugar-free is BS).

The main point was the "fact" that childhood obesity is becoming a problem. The question is, is it the products that's causing it?

Now I grew up on all those. I might be a tiny bit overweight, but I'm not obese by any standards. (I could try to find a decent picture if you're really interested, but laziness will probably get the better of me.) And I have no intent on changing. The main reason (and they did touch on this) has to do with meal portions.

Now obviously, American families are not only stupid but also extremely lazy. Thus, families don't cook and therefore eat out often. Now when they're not clogging their arteries at <insert fast food joint here>, they might sit down at a nice family restaurant. But even there, they serve ridiculously huge portions. Today (the show) did a comparison on "standard" food portions and restaurant ones. Among others, they showed one standard-size turkey sandwich and this one sandwich that was at least 4 times the size of it. And we, as Americans, are dumb enough to eat all of what's served to us. And in-house portions are apparently bigger too, so it happens at home as well.

I do have this syndrome, I'll admit. I'll eat everything on my plate. But see, there's a little trick to this. It's going to sound quite obvious, but use a smaller plate, dumbasses.

We only use our large "dinner" plates for special occasions, i.e. a steak dinner or Thanksgiving or some other major holiday. You know, the ones (like Thanksgiving) where you're allowed to overeat. We don't keep serving dishes on the table. So if you want more, you have to get up, walk to the counter/stove, serve yourself more, walk back to the table, and sit down.

Laziness postulate kicks in again, obviously. I'll admit, there are only a few situations where I go for seconds. But usually I'm full after one portion anyways.

Thoughts on this problem that shouldn't be a problem?
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: O-BS-ity
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 01:41:00 am »
If you spread the "Use a smaller plate, dumbasses" message throughout the land, the world would be a better place. I assure you.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:20:04 am »
omg spinny post pic >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:28:18 am »
White bread is made of cancer and aids anyway (referring to standard squidgy white loaves, rather than the nice kinds like baguettes etc).

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:38:33 pm »
Hearing about food depresses me all the time.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 04:01:47 pm »
The fat content in my school cafeteria is always the back-up story for the city newspaper when there's a slow news day.  It saddens me, because there's a salad bar in school, thus you aren't forced to eat the fatty foods.  But, you know, all of the adults that don't know the difference between a five and fifteen year old voice their oh-so-educated opinions: "OH NOES THEY CANT NOT EAT TEH FOOD IF ITS RITE IN FRONT OF DEM!  THEY NO KNOW BETTER!"  So, to shut everybody up, whole grain crap is getting shipped in by the ton, right down to the pizza crusts.  Snacks cost more too.

...it sickens me.  If parents cared that much, they'd pack their kids a lunch.  I want my ice cream back :(
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:12:26 pm »
Yet another issue that could be averted by responsible parenting.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:35 am »
Hang on, stateside restaurants serve BIGGER portions than home-cooked meals? Hax. :(

Go to any halfway decent restaurant here and you get giant plates where about one inch of the diameter is covered by food.

Actually that trend is more related to poshness than decentness of the restaurant...

Family restaurants tend to be alright over here, but they are going extinct. You have to hit a motorway, or at least go out of town, to find a Little Chef or a Wimpy these days...

er... what was the point?

Oh yes. Unhealthy food products. Well they have been around as long as food products have been around, the actual products themselves aren't getting any unhealthier. Quite the opposite, I mean however long ago saw skimmed milk introduced, and organic shizzle keeps coming out and all that jazz. So the fact that you own 'unhealthy' products is clearly not the issue. The issue is pretty much yeah, eat less of said products.

Too much of anything is bad for you. That's plain common sense, hence the term "too much". So you could replace every gosh-darn thing in your house with a healthy equivalent, if you still eat too much, you still get fat. End of.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:58:36 pm »
If you spread the "Use a smaller plate, dumbasses" message throughout the land, the world would be a better place. I assure you.
win

Yet another issue that could be averted by responsible parenting.
double win
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »
It's piss awful, but it's meant to be.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 03:15:32 pm »
THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 01:18:51 pm »
lmao, indeed.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 04:50:53 pm »
rofl. Funny, yet true.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Print

Hits: 94 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.