don't click here

Sonic 1 remake

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 1 remake  (Read 10367 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Sonic 1 remake
« on: July 03, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
For those who don't know, there's going to be a remake of Sonic 1 coming this November. The link is here. http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/714/714474p1.html (Near the end of the article.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic 1 remake
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:09:31 pm »
I heard about this.  Even with the spindash and save features, it's not like this is a first.
*coughSonicJamcough*
Question is, now that more people'll have access to spindash, would there be a division for it in the rankings?  I doubt it, but I'm just putting it out there...
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 05:16:25 pm »
S1 on GBA with Spindash? Sounds like something /me would love, as the original was and is, despite me sucking at it like all 2D games I play, one of my favorite games.

If there were any other general improvements, I would be more than excited. Somehow, I forsee some other random improvement coming that won't be released for now, because it would probably need some other thing to get Sega some money, considering that, despite how popular the original Sonic was, GBA is already a dieing system to buy for/system to use for making games (regardless of DS marching in, because not many people would look in the GBA section for a "high-standard game") and the majority of Sonic fans with access to the internet probably were told of a ROM of S1 with Spindash, meaning that this would not swiftly attract much attention to the big Sonic gamers. (Also consider the fact that any emulator can use save states.)

Then again, portable Sonic 1 would always be awesome, but still, the points above seem to linger around in my head.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 06:10:02 pm »
Question is, now that more people'll have access to spindash, would there be a division for it in the rankings?  I doubt it, but I'm just putting it out there...
A division? More like a whole new game in the rankings. Well, of course, unless Rolken decides otherwise for some reason, but I'd doub that.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 06:28:20 pm »
^I doubt it would make the rankings at all.  TSC members have lived through Sonic 1, Sonic Classics, Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection, and Sonic 1 Mobile.  The odds of a TSC member buying a sixth Sonic 1 are pretty slim.  And if this didn't get separate rankings when Sonic Jam released the spindash (on Original mode, of couse), why should it now?

I just asked in advance, to see if I'd end up shelling out another $20.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:59:12 pm »
Depends whether it's a port or a complete remake.  If the game behaves differently it might get a ranking, if it's the same except with spindash it probably doesn't warrant one.

I find it amusing that Sega/Sonic Team obviously see these originals as the cash cows they are and yet (arguably) fail to bring the same basic gameplay to any of the modern games (although every new game does seem to be advertised as a "back-to-roots" one).
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 07:28:42 pm »
Mine

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:10:42 pm »
Ill buy it regardless
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 08:58:21 pm »
sonic hating on TSC? noooooo [/belated reaction

Anyway, I could be wrong but the 'back-to-roots' promises I never remember Sega actually saying, rather, I get the impression that it's constantly propelled by hopeful fans from wherever it originated.

Anyway on topic:

We don't have a Sonic 1 w Spindash timetable, true, but Sonic Jam is the main case here, and frankly Sonic Jam was bullcrap. I'm guessing it was hard to take seriously since the game didn't just add spin dash but it altered all the levels in all 4 games in its Time Attack mode.

Sonic 1 GBA will 'officialize' Sonic 1 spindash even more, and will be a modern release on a very popular system. Whatever, but I would make the case to add the game, or add a spindash division to Sonic 1.

Also btw: Somehow I am more excited about owning this game than I am about Sonic Rush. I hope the game will have a time attack and that the smaller screen coverage will not be too big of a deal.

Also this is a good marketing move by Sega, by releasing it alongside Sonic Next, it will make Sonic Next look better when everyone plays Sonic 1 and sees tedious it is. classics shmassics. lol

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 11:21:57 am »
sonic hating on TSC? noooooo [/belated reaction

Anyway, I could be wrong but the 'back-to-roots' promises I never remember Sega actually saying, rather, I get the impression that it's constantly propelled by hopeful fans from wherever it originated.

Anyway on topic:

We don't have a Sonic 1 w Spindash timetable, true, but Sonic Jam is the main case here, and frankly Sonic Jam was bullcrap. I'm guessing it was hard to take seriously since the game didn't just add spin dash but it altered all the levels in all 4 games in its Time Attack mode.

Sonic 1 GBA will 'officialize' Sonic 1 spindash even more, and will be a modern release on a very popular system. Whatever, but I would make the case to add the game, or add a spindash division to Sonic 1.

Also btw: Somehow I am more excited about owning this game than I am about Sonic Rush. I hope the game will have a time attack and that the smaller screen coverage will not be too big of a deal.

Also this is a good marketing move by Sega, by releasing it alongside Sonic Next, it will make Sonic Next look better when everyone plays Sonic 1 and sees tedious it is. classics shmassics. lol

God I wish you'd shut up sometimes.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:27 am »
Quote from: eggFL
I'm guessing it was hard to take seriously since [Sonic Jam] didn't just add spin dash but it altered all the levels in all 4 games in its Time Attack mode.

Then again, there was no obligation to use altered levels.  You could just as easily select "Original" and voila! alterations were gone.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:41 pm »
Yes but the Time Attack mode remained the same. You no time attack mode or save states to make time attacking the originals very practical.

Let me know if I don't have the right idea.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 12:18:22 pm »
If I remember correctly, Rolken allready confirmed that S1+ will be its own game in the ranking. The reason that Sonic Jam/Sonic Mobile/Sonic Generic Port aren't ranked (or at least in terms of the original games, I'm full well aware of Sonic Jam's Challenge Mode) is a lack of support. 8 players have submitted records for Sonic Jam. If there were other categories for that game, fewer users would submit. However, while many are skeptic of S1+, it is getting an overall good reception and will likely be more popular than said ports.

And I doubt that S1+ will be a direct port with the spindash. Or at least, I hope it won't. For Sega to include the same game with just one added move and the ability to save would seem...exactly like Sega, actually. Maybe there will a graphical overhaul and a few remixed levels (a la Master Quest, and perhaps some new modes, but again it's Sega. If I can say at least one positive thing about S1+, it's that it doesn't have Shadow (er, it doesn't, right?).

Also, I doubt that there will be an option to revert to the "classic" Sonic 1. It's being marketed as a whole new game (which technically it is and I suppose isn't) and so Sega will probably not include the original in its entirety. Not to mention issues with cartridge space, if there would be any. I'm not sure how much memory a gba cartridge can hold, but it might be cutting it close with both the remake and original on the same cartridge.

Oh and Sonic 1 is not tedious. Unless you try to collect every ring. But why would you do that? Other than ring attack, but if you don't like ring attack then why bother?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 08:22:12 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog is 1 MB, and GBA cartridges can hold at least 16 or 32 MB.

The only reason we have to think it won't have the original is that it's the same company
that likes making so-so remakes and collections. (It's not that I don't like the games.
I don't regret buying any of them. I just think they could've been more generous with about every Sonic game for GC.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 110 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.13 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.