don't click here

Summer of Sonic involvement

Print

Author Topic: Summer of Sonic involvement  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Rolken

Summer of Sonic involvement
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:13:13 am »
There hasn't been much communication between Dreadknux and I on SoS, but at one point he gave the general thumbs up to our involvement in it, so I think we should just get some stuff together and send it to him and make him put it up. Things that I am pro us contributing are a couple standout videos, maybe a guide or two and some articles on the nature of competition, how to get involved and such; I have written some and can write up that sort of stuff or whoever else wants to can do that too (especially those with more l33t skillz than I). I'm away from home for now and only have dialup access from a not mine PC, which is why I've been absent lately; I probably won't be responding to this in a timely manner, so if anyone wants to put anything in just send it (or note it if it's already on TSC somewhere) and the next time I'm on in a few days to a week I'll gather it all up and send it off. :o
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
Re: Summer of Sonic involvement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:31:30 pm »
I am definitely pro vids. I believe I have a topic somewhere that suggested that. I'd use search to find it, but I'm lazy. (Gimme a break, I've worked 18 of the past 36 hours, and slept for maybe 14.)

I believe Security Hall 5 was considered. I'm sure Green Hill (both S1Gen and SA2B) vids would also be good candidates. Mike's speedrun of Sonic 2's a bit large, but is still pure pwnage. (And it's not on TSC, but it is readily available at both TSS and my PC.)

Guides, I have no idea.

Articles... I'd consider it if I had time. Unfortunately, I work all week except Thursday. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:37:39 pm »
I can do high-res Advance 2 speedruns if required; I've got rid of my originals, but most of my vids need updated anyway (must try for a sub-50 SC2 vid, it's such a pwnage run).  I could do likewise for the odd Sonic 1/2 level too.  Just ask and I shall supply :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:34:21 pm »
I would help with vids.  I just found a place down the street from my house that does VHS-to-DVD and VHS-to-File conversions, so I could get some good-quality vids of 3D Blast Saturn and Chaotix (we gotta stand out, and who else'll do those games?), as well as any other game besides Pocket Adventure.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 09:48:13 pm »
Well, Sprint has a few S3D Genesis vids. >_>

I'd love to make vids, but I haven't gotten the Gens Movie nor the VBA record functions to work properly. That, and I suck at VBA. >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 09:44:55 pm »
Like I said, maybe I can submit some SA videos. Expect about the same quality as my other videos.
Again, I'm not sure about finally releasing the big Windy Valley trick. It would definitely make a nice video.
If I do, though, I'll probably get beaten by F-Man, even though he doesn't seem to know the other shortcut. :(
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 11:55:11 pm »
I'm trying to record GH1 24 for this - but a) I can't quite get it and b) I'm not sure if the average player is going to realise the significance of 24.

Perhaps a longer TA would be a better example of what we do? Maybe not to the extent of one of my full game runs, but something like Death Egg 2?

<3 Thorn.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:58:28 pm »
There might be a limit to how many videos we can post. If people post like...5 videos from each game, that's a shitload of videos, especially from one site (last time I checked, there are only a total of 4 videos up in the video section of SoS). I have no idea of Dreadknux will have a limit to how much we can upload or what either, so we have to keep this in consideration

It might be a better idea to just take videos from really popular games (Genesis and 3d?) because alot more people can relate to these games, especially in terms of time attacking. It might be hard for sonic fans to relate to a speedrun of Knuckles Chaotix...

Besides, even if we could, I don't think it'd be a good idea to dump our entire video database onto their site. It might be better to just give them a small teaser of what our site has to offer by showing them some of our best performances. Once we wow them, we just lure em in with our big stash of candy "Check out more crazy speedruns at www.soniccenter.org" sort of thing

Uh...wow I'm tired...

Anyway, I have a few proposals for determining videos to submit. We could have some sort of system where the number of videos we submit from a game is based on that games popularity. Games like the adventure and genesis may have up to 5, but less popular games might only end up having 1 video submitted (preferrably of the first level of that game, more people will be able to relate to it easily)

Alternatively, we could just have a top 20 video sort of thing, where we all vote on which videos we want to show to the public the most.

Or here's another idea I just though of. We could make several compilation videos of sonic speedruns , showing really cool tricks and whatnot. Very similar to Speed Demos Archive's music videos (except the videos would be entierly sonic of course).

Just my thoughts

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 10:39:55 am »
I saw this topic a while back and didn't pay much attention to it, but I think that I could write some articles/guides (despite my past history, I do actually time attack some levels, though generally only the shorter...levels).

As for videos, I think that most of what Nintendan is suggesting is a good idea. For the compilation, I think it would be interesting to TA one zone per game for 7 games (or 8 if we want to complete a final boss fight) and submit that. For extra Sonicyness, we could collect one emerald per zone. To clarify, the video might include:

Sonic 1-Green Hill Zone
Sonic 2-Chemical Plant Zone
Sonic CD-Tidal Tempest
Sonic 3-Carnival Night
Sonic & Knuckles-Hidden Palace (and maybe Sky Sanctuary to keep up the pattern of 2 levels per game)
Sonic 3D Blast-Gene Gadget
Sonic Advance-Cosmic Angel

And now is where things get interesting. If you noticed, all the games are in chronological order of release, the zone ascending by one. For example, Sonic 2, being the second game in the series, has its second zone as the level played (though this is not the case with some of the later games, as their corresponding zone is based solely on what order they are mentioned in).

With the 7 zones covered, we need to worry about both the extra zone and final boss fight, should we so choose to do this. This is meant to show the evolution of the Sonic series through the years, and how it has changed, so it only feels right to somehow include Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) and Sonic Heroes. I say that we include Cannon's Core and Biolizard from Sonic Adventure and Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes. However, if we did this then Sonic Rush, considered to be of some importance in the Sonic series, is excluded. Unless we were to scrap some of the minor games such as Sonic Advance, which isn't really known for much. If we were to do this, then the vidded zones would look essentially the same. However, here we would have to decide between a few different games with zone 7. The potential candidates would be Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, or Sonic Rush, though we break sequence here.

Unless we got rid of Sonic 3D Blast, in which case another zone is freed up and we possible omit SA2:B for Sonic Heroes for zone symmetry, allowing Rush to deal with the extra zones, though it just doesn't feel right to ignore a game like SA2:B alltogether.

Or maybe we could loop back to something of note, such as Death Egg Sonic 2 (first Super battle) or S3&K (an epic showdown, truly)

Obviously, someone would need to supervise the project, should we decide to do it, and I suggest Nintendan, RPG, Sprint, mike, douglas, SM, or someone else, preferrably well-versed in the older Sonic games and with "leadership characteristics".

If you don't feel like sifting through all of my post, here are the proposed games/zones (extra zone and final boss fight not covered)

Sonic 1-Green Hill Zone
Sonic 2-Chemical Plant Zone
Sonic CD-Tidal Tempest
Sonic 3-Carnival Night
Sonic & Knuckles-Hidden Palace (and maybe Sky Sanctuary to keep up the pattern of 2 levels per game)
Sonic 3D Blast-Gene Gadget
Sonic Advance-Cosmic Angel

Perhaps each player who vidded their run could later add commentary to give it a more personal feel.

Oh, and I suppose I'll write some things up. Do we just give them to Rolken to submit?

Edit: Gah, just looked at the dates. If this is over, then my mistake...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:41:52 am by blueblaze »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 12:13:37 pm »
Well it is kind of late into the summer, but it's still summer, ain't it?

It might not be too late to just upload some videos, but then again, I don't know

Print

Hits: 70 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.09 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.