don't click here

I HAVE A QUESTION

Print

Author Topic: I HAVE A QUESTION  (Read 4153 times)

Offline P.P.A.

I HAVE A QUESTION
« on: November 27, 2007, 02:04:49 pm »
Although that's still a bit early to ask. Anyway, I plan to have some of my consoles modded after Christmas. I want them to get a 50hz/60hz switch and a region free mod each. Now I'd like to ask if I'm still allowed to submit stats from such a modified console? (Mega-CD, Mega Drive, and SEGA Saturn being the machines in question.)
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: I HAVE A QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »
I would assume that, as long as the levels remain unmodified in whatever games you submit to, it is allowed.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:51:53 pm »
Woah.

You can do that?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:45 pm »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux chrome
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:59 am »
Yes, modded consoles are allowed.

For Genesis / Mega Drive, the region-free modification is easy. There's two settings, East/West and NTSC/PAL. US is West/NTSC, Europe is West/PAL, and Japan is East/NTSC in some regions and East/PAL in others. On the Model 1, there's two jumpers located on the system board that control this, so all you have to do is cut the jumpers and wire them to switches. On the Model 2, it's harder because the jumpers are merely traces on the system board. Note that RF output will not work correctly if you change the NTSC/PAL setting. (Composite and RGB SCART will work, provided that your TV supports the different mode.)

With the Sega CD, things get complicated. There's no region control jumpers; the only difference is in the system firmware. You'd have to physically replace the EPROM chip. One alternative is to add a daughterboard containing an EPROM chip 4x the size of the Sega CD's (128k, so that'd be 512k), and wire up switches to control which part of the chip should be active.

With the Saturn, you should be able to use the swap trick. I'm not positive about this, though.

Print

Hits: 1 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.03s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.