don't click here

Time to spring the competition back into action...

Print

Author Topic: Time to spring the competition back into action...  (Read 13101 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« on: September 15, 2005, 05:50:32 am »
Finally, SDA has a few Sonic videos! Those of you who don't frequent the chat (or SDA), check them out:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/SonicAdventure.html
http://speeddemosarchive.com/SonicAdvance.html

So naturally, I'm gonna add to the list in the coming weeks. As soon as it is possible there'll be a Sonic Adventure 2 story mode run from me. Now if nothing else, I'm trying to get the vets of SA2B back in action with this vid, cause no doubt SS101, Rayku or someone else could do much better than I will.

Now if only I could find Sonic Mega Collection... Sonic 2 and 3 would be up in a snap.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:12:37 pm »
Hey, I've been actively competing.... Well, in SAdva2 anyway. I don't have any of these "hip and with it" games like SA2B (which everyone seems to be playing these days...).

Heck, I'm getting good at Egg Utopia 1... with a little work I can pass RPG!
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 05:25:17 pm »
Hey, I've been actively competing.... Well, in SAdva2 anyway. I don't have any of these "hip and with it" games like SA2B (which everyone seems to be playing these days...).

Heck, I'm getting good at Egg Utopia 1... with a little work I can pass RPG!
[snapback]6367[/snapback]

Old guy'd :o

Also, regarding the SA2B video, I doubt that I'll be doing one like I said I would back at SDA for a 180 Emblem speedrun do to my disaster Hero story practice run I did awile back, my extreme lack of patience, lack of skill, lack of time, yeah, this "lack of" list can go on for a while... If I can get my hands on a capture card, one can be done in the near future though. Just not now. D:
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:21:18 pm »
Who needs a capture card? Half the runs that are posted on SDA were recorded on VHS tape and re-captured. Then people can buy them on DVD. ^_^

<3 Thorn.

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 06:13:34 pm »
:o sonicam forgot about that. D: If my VCR still working (unlikely), perhaps I can still do this... :D

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:20:52 pm »
Also, regarding the SA2B video, I doubt that I'll be doing one like I said I would back at SDA for a 180 Emblem speedrun do to my disaster Hero story practice run I did awile back, my extreme lack of patience, lack of skill, lack of time, yeah, this "lack of" list can go on for a while... If I can get my hands on a capture card, one can be done in the near future though. Just not now. D:
[snapback]6368[/snapback]

I'm speed running 180 emblems :o

92 emblems, 3 hours 42 minutes. I'll finish it when I can be arsed.

Oh, and as for the SA2:B vets, Rayku's retired, SS is still competing and I'll eb back on the SA2:B scene sometime in the near future :o
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:07:49 am »
Okay, so I won't be running SA2B after all (silly SDA rules...)

On the plus side, you'll probably see a Pokemon Gold run from me if I can get the time under 4 hours 4 minutes (which is the length of my tapes, I'm not switching tapes when I'll use that second tape for ten minutes). Despite the fact that my latest run clocks in at 4 hours 37, I reckon this is possible.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 06:57:11 pm »
I checked out the speedrun page, but I couldn't download anything, of course.
It's interesting that the guy that submitted the Tails video
was planning to make a video with miscellaneous glitches and stuff.
I have a 2-minute video with stuff like that on a tape, but I can't put it on my site.
If I ever feel like it, I'll look around for a free file-hosting place.
(Actually, I was planning way more than that.
Maybe I'll make a few dozen super-short videos instead.)

I recently started competing in SA2, so that should challenge the champions
and get some of the members to start playing, when (and if) I get really good.
(You'll notice that I'm still struggling to get into the orange level for most stages,
and I haven't submitted anything besides Mission 1 times.)

Huh? A 2001 (kind of outdated) 3-D (which many people seem to hate)
Sonic Adventure is now a "hip and with it" game?
Well, I know it's more like that than the original SA.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:42:43 pm »
Can you not download it because of a techincal error, or because you have a crappy 28k connection? :(

Just download the low quality file overnight or something. His sonic run is pretty good (though I'm sure you can pwn it) His tails run isn't worth the watch though. I plan on trying to beat his

I also plan on an Amy run, though you could probably beat me at that as well :(

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 12:54:07 pm »
I have a 56k connection.
I can download about 10MB in an hour, so I guess I could get it overnight,
as long as the connection didn't quit. Maybe I should use my friend's computer
to download a lot of stuff, and put it all on a CD.
(That would also give me a chance to see TSC Adventure,
although I might want to wait until it's almost finished before getting it.)

Speedruns are made using the game's timer (where there is one), aren't they?
My main problem before was that I couldn't do the best shortcuts,
but that wouldn't matter with these rules.
(The Speed Highway Trick is super-hard, and the alternate way I discovered
can still fail and set me back about 20 seconds, so I didn't use a shortcut.)
The Amy shortcuts aren't too dangerous (and even the ones that are have become easy),
so I think I could do quite well in that one. (The only problem is that TP glitch.
I think I know what it is, but I haven't made it work without a slightly higher (AR) jump.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 02:27:33 pm »
It doesn't matter, the TP Amy glitch wouldn't be allowed for a speedrun at SDA because you exit the level (I think)

Plus, it only works on Dreamcast without AR

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 04:37:30 pm »
Really? At first, I thought it had something to do with glitching through
the walls of the castle's interior to reach other halls.
Later, I heard that it had something to do with doors.
I checked out the doors at the start using AR, and I found out that
Amy would be able to hit a ledge and climb onto the roof if she could jump a bit higher.
From there, she could wade through the pool and land in the final stretch for a very low time.
Hammer jumps can't be done from the doors, so it must be impossible.
Maybe I can find a video.

EDIT: I found the site, but I can't download the video without getting a FilePlanet account.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 04:42:23 pm by Marth »

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 09:49:48 pm »
About Twinkle Park with Amy...

There are actually 2 shortcuts on Twinkle Park. The first one (which is the one I use for my 50.96 sec time), is right after you enter the castle. As you enter the castle from the first part, try to be on the left hand side and jump into the castle so you'll be in the air when you enter. When it switches to the inside, hold forward for a split second. Then as you land, press the stick down-right and jump towards the door (what you are aiming for is the corner of the door where it meets the wall. If you are facing the door from the inside of the castle it's the lower left hand corner). The timing needs to be perfect. You need to hit the bottom corner and do a hammer jump just as you hit the ground. If you did it right, you'll glitch through the door. Now if you just hold that direction, you'll still cut through a bit of the castle and land in a room, but for maximum distance what you want to do is as soon as you go through the door, rotate the stick counter clockwise and when you land you should land near the beginning of the second to last room (which is the one with the mirrors, spiked balls that drop, trap doors and steps that go up). From there, it's a piece of cake to the end.

Now the other one is very difficult. I have never done it, nor seen it done, but have talked to several people that have done it. And according to them, this is how it's done: At the start of the level, jump forward once then jump back towards the gate behind you and just like you did with the door glitch, do the exact same thing on the gate (I'm talking about the gate that is right behind you when the level starts). Except you need to hit the RIGHT corner and not the left. Then, if the timing is perfect, you should hammer jump up and over the wall and land on the slope leading directly up to the balloon. Theoretically it should work on the Gamecube version (they all did it on the Dreamcast version) according to them. But I have not heard of anyone doing it on the GC version. There are a few shortcuts that were in the DC version that they excluded or 'fixed' for the Gamecube version.

Good luck. Please let me know how you all are doing on the level. It's one of my favorites and one I play the most.

Dave Cramer

[Let's blast off with Sonic speed!!]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 09:54:25 pm »
^^Hate to be completely anal and pessimistic but how the Hell did you get 1:49:05 in Twinkle Circuit with Gamma? I saw a mid 1:56 as pretty much maxed there....unless of course you know something I dont :P

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 10:04:46 pm »
Thanks for bringing that to my attention...

I just turned on SA and double checked. I had Big and Gamma's TC times mixed up, so I corrected them and switched them in the submissions. Thanks for catching that, I appreciate it.

Dave Cramer

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 10:14:46 pm »
I just tried to switch the times and after 10 minutes, they were still the same. Anyone know why? Is it because I'm inputting a slower time than I had previously? Anyone know what's going on?

Dave Cramer

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 10:15:13 pm »
^^No Problem, I just worry when I think I have things close to perfection and somebody beats it by an insane amount of time xP

EDIT: ^^The database updates on every Quarter Hour.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:15:54 pm by RPGnutter »

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 10:19:51 pm »
I just checked and the times were switched. I know what you mean about having it close to perfect, but there are so many shortcuts and glitches in this game anything is possible. When I competed in the SA contests that SEGA held in '99 I saw some pretty amazing times/scores. For example, on Sand Hill with Sonic, the top score was over 1,000,000 pts! No joke. And Knuckles in Red Mountain was around 5 sec. Those were 2 that I remember the most. By the way, is there anyone here that competed in those? If so I'd love to hear from you.

Dave Cramer

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 10:43:11 pm »
1,000,000 pts!!!! O_o I'd think you'd need to hit every single gate, but that's physically impossible so I dunno. I've never entered a contest for SA, hell I've never owned a Dreamcast and to make things worse, I've only gotten SADX last year and quit it this year. :( Twinkle Park and Hot Shelter (both with Amy) were my favorite levels in the game myself, but after getting pwned left and right in SADX (those levels especially) I just gave them up, but it's pretty interesting that you can glitch out TP so much. I may attempt to try it, but like you and Ninty said, it's more likely that it's excluded from the DX version so I won't bother.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 11:30:23 pm »
The only way to get 1,000,000 points in Sand Hill is to repeatedly trick of the single ramp then go back up the hill...or use RAM modification to set your score to whatever you want.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 12:39:02 am »
You're right about Sand Hill (jumping back up the course). The guy that did that said he played for about 20 hours straight to get that! Insane! Towards the end of the contest players were cheating and it wasn't fun anymore. They were doing things like using a Gameshark or hacking into their VMU's to alter their times/scores.

I'm really glad to get back into SA. I really enjoyed competing and this brings back great memories. I have been improving my times/scores so much lately thanks to this site. I will help out in any way I can. If anyone wants to know shortcuts/glitches/strategies for any level I will gladly help out when I can. On the flipside I would really appreciate some help with a few levels. Namely Hot Shelter with Amy. If anyone knows any good shortcuts or how to glitch through any doors please let me know!

Thanks!

Dave

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 01:51:44 am »
One thing that is offered here is that under the Submissions page, instead of submitting times, you can choose to submit guides, where you can explain everything you know about a level and how to use it to your advantage.  There's also an option to submit videos, but very few players have access to that option.

Print

Hits: 358 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.16 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.