don't click here

Yay, i got to try out the Nintendo DS today!

Print

Author Topic: Yay, i got to try out the Nintendo DS today!  (Read 5275 times)

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:39:12 pm »
I went to GameStop with my friend today and they had 2 DS's with Metriod Prime: Hunters. This was the demo that Nintendo DS comes with and they let us try it out. In the demo, there was a practice mode which was single player and a Deathmatch mode which was multiplayer mode. The Practice mode had 3 options, you could practice normal fighting, movement and the Morph Ball. I only tryed out the Normal Fighting Training Room, all it really was, was you fight Normal Green Metriods(looks like you no longer need missles to kill them, I only used the normal Power Beam and they died in 3 shots). Also, we got to try out the Multiplayer Mode. The options for Multiplayer mode were Create a game and Join in a game. We both choose join in a game and we were able to play. Also, you can select a stage to play on, but the stages are very small so it didn't really make much difference. The gameplay is basically a normal Deathmatch game, but fun. Also, changes from other Metriod games is that the Power Beam NEEDS AMMO. It isn't infinite anymore. Another thing is that the controls are alittle awkward. There are a few Control Configuations to choose from(5 in total). Two were the use of the D-Pad and the Y/X/A/B buttons. One config was that the D-Pad moves you forward, backward and to strife left and right, and the Y/X/A/B buttons turned you around left/right and to look up and down. Another config reverses the roles of the D-Pad and Y/X/A/B buttons. L button shoots and i can't remember what R did. Also, to go into the Morphing Ball, you have to use the stylus and touch the button on the bottom screen. Press L to drop bombs. The game itself is pretty good, the graphics are nice but the controls are alittle weird. Did anyone else get to try the DS yet or does anyone have any questions on the gameplay?

EDIT: Just remembered, R button makes Samus jump, how could i forget, lol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:26:47 pm by sonicam »
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:06:37 pm »
Are you sure it was the Power Beam and not one of the two new beams (Light and Dark), as they need ammo? Or it might be a multiplayer balance thing...

Edit: durrrrrrrr... Question marks might help....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:07:38 pm by Shadow Wedge »
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:27:41 pm »
Nope, it was just the normal Power Beam from Metriod Prime 1 and it needs ammo in both Multiplayer and Singleplayer.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 07:46:37 am »
I played the DS myself at EB games, and nearly broke the stylus because I mashed it against the screen, lol. SPeaking of DS, it comes out in.....2 DAYS YAY! And I preordered mine, so I'll be playing Mario 64X3 by Sunday at roughly 11:30 :D

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 01:07:41 pm »
I also got to play with the Nintendo DS at EB yesterday. The controls were weird. Shooting enemies by using the stylus allows for very accurate shooting without moving your chracter, but it requires that you waste a round turning and also means that you cant fire while turning. I predict that the stylus shooting set up will cause problems if a player runs into a really fast enemy or gets flanked. The double screen will be perfect for games such as Final Fantasy or the current style of Castlevania games as a method for quickly managing items, spells, the mini map, etc.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline qubit

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 03:00:08 pm »
There's supposed a be a new Sonic game for DS.  Time to update the submission board, Rolk....
Me: Do you find it odd that CF's top two loves rank last in his Bouncy rankings? x_x
mike89: yes. yes i do.
mike89: but then i find CF odd.
Me: so do I.

The odds of meeting a TSCer randomly on the street, at any given time anywhere in the world, is approximately 15,785,611 to 1 ... and growing.

Print

Hits: 704 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.