don't click here

Video Links/Archiving

Print

Author Topic: Video Links/Archiving  (Read 7245 times)

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Video Links/Archiving
« on: July 23, 2022, 09:49:32 am »
I realise this site's a bit of a ghost town these days, but thought I'd post about this anyway (maybe pedantic, but I think it's worth addressing).

Firstly, looking through videos for different games, I notice that a lot of the links are now broken; either the site/channel doesn't exist anymore, or the uploader took down/moved the video, or the player superseded it with a better run, etc. I would be happy to trawl through and make a list of all such submitted videos, so that they can be removed or the links fixed. (Also, I like the site feature where a video automatically becomes submitted if it's linked in a stat comment, though this results in redundant entries when runners improve their runs, as previous entries are kept.)

Secondly, particularly with all the embedded videos, it made me think, have any admins/mods made any backups of them? Just for posterity it may be worth doing, it would be a shame if a lot of content was lost. It would be quite a task for one person to have to download and store every video, but perhaps people would be happy to make backups for certain games and categories etc.
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Re: Video Links/Archiving
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 05:34:30 pm »
I had this idea a while ago as well, but felt unsure about it, so I guess you beat me to it. ^^ Anyway, if you actually end up doing this, I am ready to help you. Just if you want, of course.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 05:46:05 am »
Great minds think alike :P That's great though, thank you for offering. Are there any games/categories etc. you'd be particularly interested in archiving? How much storage do you have access to? (I presume you've backed up your own videos at least; 86 submissions is quite impressive!)
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 05:20:36 pm »
Oh, I meant more for the "looking through links" part. The rest will be hard to do on my end.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 07:26:36 pm »
Oh right, apologies for misinterpreting; that would still be helpful! If you ever feel like trawling through, perhaps you can compile a list of the dead links you spot (:

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:41:26 am »
I guess I can do that. I'll DM you for more details.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 10:21:16 am »
Thanks man, really appreciate the enthusiasm to help out and ideas (:

I read and replied to your PM, though not sure if my response went through. I think making a list of broken links for each game and division/character thereof (and noting what to do with them, e.g. remove entirely, or replace with a reupload/updated run) would be the most straightforward approach.

It might be worth making a shared Google doc or something and linking it here, so that nobody's doing redundant work. Whether an admin implements the changes is another story, but at least we'll have a list for comprehensiveness' sake (which we can then post as a forum post too).

You can begin with the classic games if you like as you suggested and I can comb through more modern ones. Of course if anyone wants to lend a hand just let us know!

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 02:40:24 pm »
Just to provide an update on this, andy120195 and I (well mostly him) have been combing through videos and just taking screenshots to note what ought to be fixed for each game; here's a repository: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fghyfymbj4h7f/TSC_Video_Links if anybody would like to check over them, chime in or contribute also that'd be appreciated!

Print

Hits: 263 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.