Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 09:42:05 pm »
Ugh, I'm not going to be able to do anything regarding user registration tonight, so here's what I'm going to do.

• Stat submissions are re-enabled. (I did not delete the bogus stats, since those should be kept for "historical" purposes.)
  • User registration is disabled. I'll re-enable it once I improve user registration security.

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »
All jokes and silliness aside, thanks a lot for taking action gerbil <3
Youtube - youtube.com/user/kirbymastah1991
Twitch Stream - twitch.tv/kirbymastah

Offline TheRealShadnic

• TheRealShadnic
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Hi! I am HC Sonic-fan, finally competing here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:32 am »
I guess you should write a post to front page about registration disabled :P Thanks for the action folks :)
FIRST ONE TO GET PLATINUM IN SONIC GENERATIONS!!!!

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 05:18:00 am »
Uh, still, those "deleted" records count for the individual games..
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »
Oh god, I about cried laughing.

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:46 pm »
Probably just some kid trying to be funny. Seriously who would think it's a good idea to submit BS stats in such a massive quantity? Better question is, who would find enjoyment in that? The people like this are the kind of people this community, and the world doesn't need.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Softspeak

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 05:25:31 pm »
Probably just some kid trying to be funny. Seriously who would think it's a good idea to submit BS stats in such a massive quantity? Better question is, who would find enjoyment in that? The people like this are the kind of people this community, and the world doesn't need.

He sure didn't do it to get ahead in the actual competition. More to get people really pissed over something that in the big picture doesn't mean much. I could imagine someone who gets a kick out of that; my imagination's dangerous like that. I don't think that this was just for kicks though. The translation of the original screen name (too far back for me to quote from here) suggests there was a grudge involved. Banned player "flower" comes to mind... but I'm just speculating.

How to respond? Yeah it's sad that we have people like this who choose to inflict damage on online communities, not only because it hurts us directly, but because these people aren't likely to start trying to act with kindness. But I don't think that justifies getting really pissed over it, that's just returning the hate and possibly mission accomplished for the other guy. I've recovered from the initial shock that someone actually did this, and all I have left to say about it is that it's sad. Ready to move on.

Offline Kirbymon30

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 03:15:36 pm »
*snip*

Not to sound cynical, but this whole situation didn't really shock me at all. It was a little confusing at first, yes, but in the end I found it rather amusing. It drew some much-needed attention to the site for a little while, at least. :P And honestly, while I've never heard of someone submitting fake stats to such a large scale as this, it's probably been done before. The site's been around 11 years. tl;dr I don't see how this hurt us as a community much at all; anyone who's been around here long enough didn't take it seriously in the slightest.

Though Softspeak does have a point; this is most likely connected to some member that was banned and is trying to ban dodge. Unless the admins didn't bother with an IP ban, I don't know how they're getting in unless they found a workaround. There's also an abundance of salty kids running around lately, which may explain something :V
~Sonic Lost World Top 10~
Primary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Dabble into some easy things. Mostly Sonic Chaos, might go back to CD11/Lost World at a later date but most likely not. I'm not that invested in this stuff anymore :V
Secondary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Smash is love, Smash is life

CS Bullshit:

Kirby number TooManyDamnKirbys. Just shy of TSC's youngest, but undoubtedly TSC's stupidest. In fact, I should probably heed this advice:

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit."
                  - Jim C. Hines

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:11 pm »
It drew some much-needed attention to the site for a little while, at least. :P

"only in a time like this will you see 12 members on at 3am" – Hyper
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 06:30:05 pm »
Though Softspeak does have a point; this is most likely connected to some member that was banned and is trying to ban dodge. Unless the admins didn't bother with an IP ban, I don't know how they're getting in unless they found a workaround. There's also an abundance of salty kids running around lately, which may explain something :V

Proxies aren't exactly difficult to figure out; an IP ban doesn't fix this issue. We know who's doing it and we are taking steps to prevent it from happening again.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline S-MS32X-S

• the name is MS32X, a Good netbattler in terms of Co-op
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 06:18:02 am »
he either mad because the last account got banned, and he did that on Purpose to prove his point...AS A FEG
cause his name in English is this:"thats enough, dont kick me, REVENGE!"
internet Trolls nowadays are everywhere...
Leader and champion of bn4, going for the rest soon

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
Something was wrong with the suspended stats processing script, but it seems to have figured out what it was supposed to do now. Sitewide points are back to normal.

Offline S-MS32X-S

• the name is MS32X, a Good netbattler in terms of Co-op
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:42 am »
thats good to hear, now people will compete with no BC status like 00:00:01
i talked with the guy who did that, he did it because he got kicked because 00:00:18 on Emerald Cost and the admins kicked him and he massaged them and they didnt forgive him (probably because REVENGE thingy, but still...)
Thanks for deleting all these BS records
Leader and champion of bn4, going for the rest soon

Offline GerbilSoft

• TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »
Registration is re-enabled. I added some more blacklists for HTTP POST requests, which should help. If anyone gets an error page when attempting to submit a stat or post on the forums, please contact me on IRC and/or email: gerbilsoft@gerbilsoft.com .

Print

Hits: 555 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.