don't click here

Do you speedrun non-Sonic games?

Print

Author Topic: Do you speedrun non-Sonic games?  (Read 43175 times)

Offline SuperSonicfan9595

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • At the high speed of the Third Cosmic Velocity.
    • View Profile
Do you speedrun non-Sonic games?
« on: November 29, 2014, 05:40:55 am »
(Not sure if this topic goes here)

Pretty much what the title says. I'm curious if people here tries to speedrun other games.

In my case is Mega Man X5 Any% category. it's quite interesting to do. I did a (horrible) X only run and my PB is 24:29(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkd0ERphAKI). Major timesavers in this game are, destroy the colony with the Enigma Shot(5% rate of succes -_-),using Zero becuase he can literally rape bosses with SDC(slash-dash-cancel) and obtaining and using the Ultimate Armor because of the unlimited Nova Strike. After that it's just knowing the stages and boss patterns(wich after playing the game like 50 times you memorize). The biggest problem is (of course) the Enigma Shot and its randomness.

So in the end, do you speedrun other games or have an interest im doing it?
"Standing up even trembling in fear, that is Courage."

Azi Dahaka

My Youtube Channel, for everything I play: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSonicfan9595

Offline Vallkyr

Re: Do you speedrun non-Sonic games?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:30:24 am »
As my avatar might suggest, I'm into F-Zero. My main speedgame is F-Zero GX. Currently rank 20 on the Max Speed ladder. Might not sound like much, but the competition is really strong as some players have been playing for many years, whereas I only got into it about a year ago. It's mostly ILs though. For full game runs there's not as much competition.
If you're not sure why I mentioned "Max Speed ladder" specifically, that's because there's 3 different ladders (charts) on FZeroCentral. In GX you can adjust the acceleration/max speed of your machine before starting the race. 0% being highest acceleration, 100% being Max Speed. When you set your machine to 0%, it's possible to do Snaking with many machines. It allows you to go much faster (~2.5x the normal top speed) but it destroys your hands due to the button inputs required. Any long-time snaking player has some kind of permanent injury from it. As a result of that I choose to play on the Max Speed setting, where snaking is basically not possible.
GX has a lot of speed tech, could go further into it but I'll just leave it at this hehe

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • TSC: DarkGravityFlames
  • win10 chrome
  • Code S.O.L, Azure Grimrore ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »
When it comes to Non-sonic games to speedrun. I'm spend the majority of my time doing metroid games, the main games that i will most likely be doing are metroid zero mission, super metroid, and prime 1. i also try to speedrun the unlimited mars route of blazblue. I'm a bit rusty at metroid because unlike sonic games you can't IL Metroid xD
My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9TztQrHz0nwzfSZZFoYOVA
PSN = ChaosKnight_56
Steam: TerumiTrueAzure

Championship(s) Held: Sonic Generations
Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
Yes there's one game I speed run, and that would be a rather obscure game called Airfix Dogfighter. There's 2 campaigns that consist of 10 missions each, I've managed to beat both campaigns in less than 1 hour.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:03:53 pm »
Well, of course. Sonic all the time can get a bit old :^)

I've done ILs for multiple non-Sonic games (as my Cyberscore profile shows). When it comes to Single Segment, that's a bit of a different story. I've done a little bit in Mega Man 10 Bass – Easy and did one joke run of Donkey Kong JR. Math, but that's about it.
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline theultimategamer95

• Your typical speed runner
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • I am the ultimate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »
All here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdkxTK-CsLVGi3lJHUCoPzHNdLD0849r

I've also ran Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus in the past, but was never able to get a good enough run to upload.
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/theultimategamer95

My PSN = greatgamer83

My Skype = theultimategamer95

Offline CriticalCyd

• ~('w')~ ~('w')~ ~('w')~
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • =^● ⋏ ●^=
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
Aside from sonic games I speedrun Dustforce at the moment. My run's obsolete by now though as there was an update that added a new overworld and some new levels, so I'll have plenty to do when I get back to it. The primary competition for Dustforce is also in ILs, but my main focus is Single Segment.

Used to also speedrun Rayman 3, but it actually became so broken that I stopped enjoying it. More and more finnicky glitches, less and less actual gameplay.
Speedrunning shenanigans =^● ⋏ ●^=

http://twitch.tv/CriticalCyd
http://youtube.com/CriticalCyd
http://twitter.com/CriticalCyd

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »
I've been involved with the open-source game Red Eclipse, an online FPS that has time trial courses as a sidequest. On the most recent version, I've made single-level videos for all the official TT levels, but the important thing about it being open source is I can make changes to the maps myself, and those changes have been officially accepted for the soon-to-be-released upcoming version. Needless to say, v1.5 is going to remove nonsensical routes like the one in that linked video.

Offline Softspeak

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »
Used to run VVVVVV back in the day. FieryBlizzard's runs on SDA are probably what got me really interested in the whole idea of pushing a game as far as possible. For sure, they're the reason I got the game myself. Yeah, I enjoyed it, and maybe I should come back to it sometime, but I'm never touching his 13:03 any% or 17:27 100% runs. I have no hope of completing No-Death Mode either; I suck at the Gravitron.

If I were better at NES games, I'd consider speedrunning those too. But alas, I haven't found the time to make it past World 8-2 of Super Mario Bros.

But really, full-game runs are a bit too much for me. I like ILs better.

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:14 am »
When I was younger, I did IL speedruns of Goldeneye but nowhere near on a competitive level, just for fun.

I'm starting to plan out a full game speedrun for Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn, but I'm only in the early stages of route planning and starting to memorize dungeons right now.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Fosho

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:06:19 am »
I used to speedrun Metroid Fusion, probably gonna get back into that to finish some things up in any% in 2015.  In terms of future speedgames I currently have this chart. http://i.imgur.com/JWOc9mg.png

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:57:34 am »
I have speedrunned Metroid Prime 2 and Ocarina of Time.

Offline Vicklaw

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »
I tried to do a speedrun of the level "SPECIAL 1-1" in Super Mario 3D land on a 3DS and did 31 "seconds". However, the record is much better than this, which convinces me I should never do speedruns. I suck too much at speedruning.

The only other game I speedruned is Donkey Kong Land on a true GBC. I finished the game in 38 minuts. (game time, not real time)

Offline Diamond

• Diamond in the sky
  • TSC Profile
  • iphone safari
  • "I never want to hear you say goodbye"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »
I've got two games I think I'll try to do in the future: The Legendary Starfy and Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs.
I've done a few scrub% runs of aLttP 100% for fun before as well.
Retired from Colors DS.
nah jk I can't quit

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »
Oh we're doing possible future games as well?

Mega man 2
Mega man 3
Mega man 9
AlttP
ALBW
Gheist
Metroid Prime
Banjo Tooie
Beetle's Adventure Racing
Billy Hatcher
Freedom Planet
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Mario World
Total War/Europa Universalis/SM: Alpha Centauri (if I can make up a sensible way to do it)
I-Ninja
Spyro 3
Age of Empires 2
GTA: VC
Glitched Pokemon run that isn't 1 min long
I'm loving "This war of mine" so far as well
..and probably at least 10 more if I thought more about it, not to mention most of the handheld sonics lol.

But I like to focus on a single game or two at a time. I'd need 900 days a year to get anything done at all ._.

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:20 pm »
Since Future Games are a Thing:

Age of Mythology
Blazblue Chronophantasma (Unlimited Mars Routes)
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 2
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD(Comes out tommorrow)

Also, TimpZ , i would love for someone to run age of empires II
PSN = ChaosKnight_56

Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 08:16:54 pm »
Mmmmhhh, future games...

TLOZ Link's Awakening DX
Megaman 3
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X6
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2

How do you speedrun Strategy games? Is doing a camapaign mission really fast?

Azi Dahaka

My Youtube Channel, for everything I play: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSonicfan9595

Offline Goldwolf11

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »
I don't run much others,but I do run

Destiny (ILs)
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
I really only play SA2, honestly. (On PS3!)

SA2 stuff:

Hero Story PB: 53:38 (48:44 In-game)

-Currently Learning/Practicing-
Final Rush m1 (no skip)
Eternal Engine m1 (no skip)
Crazy Gadget m1 (no skip)
Mission Street m1

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 01:29:32 am »
Haha DGF I was so hype for the guy that was gonna play AoE2 for AGDQ and then he just play's like a single guaranteed mission. Complete waste of everyones time what the hell :FailFish:

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:44 pm »
Timpz, that guy really did that -__- . I was wondering how do you run AoE II anywhere (speed-running wise), do you just do all of the campaigns?
PSN = ChaosKnight_56

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 06:17:14 am »
Rockman X2, and also DuckTales Remastered. I was thinking of running Crash 2, but that speedrun is... a bit too demanding.

If I ever manage to get this DS modded for capture, I might run Mega Man ZX... But before ZX, I'm thinking of doing Rush Adventure full game runs.
Twitch: 2KZu | YouTube: Tukepuikko (VGM channel: Frygoon)

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 11:37:25 am »
Timpz, that guy really did that -__- . I was wondering how do you run AoE II anywhere (speed-running wise), do you just do all of the campaigns?

I know there's a lot of IL's on YT and I know AdamAK has done a few campaign runs, but other than that I'm not sure. It's not exactly a popular speed game.

Offline Vixuzen

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 04:55:30 pm »
I speedrun (Or at least try to) also Mario, Rayman, Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clank games.

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 06:17:01 pm »
Tons! System Shock, Devil May Cry 3 & 4, Doshin the Giant, Dark Void, Dark Void Zero, Bomberman Hero, and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. I love Generations and Unkeashed but I can't be held down by just one game

Offline SilverSonic

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »
Used to speedrun
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (might go back to 2)
DuckTales Remastered (may come back to)

Current:
Mario Kart 8 (eh, might shelve this because DLC)

Possible Future Speedgames:
Bayonetta 1 or 2
Armillo

I couldn't really think of any other ones I'd want to speedrun just yet.

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 07:00:50 pm »

Age of Mythology

AoM is a sick speedgame because of the mission and unit variety. This might be of interest to you: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/age_of_mythology_available_for_verification_2014.11.16.html

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »

Age of Mythology

AoM is a sick speedgame because of the mission and unit variety. This might be of interest to you: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/age_of_mythology_available_for_verification_2014.11.16.html

I want to believe is like Starcraft 2. I saw a Brutal difficulty Single Segment and IL runs. It must be something like that

Azi Dahaka

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 07:56:42 pm »

Age of Mythology

I want to believe is like Starcraft 2. I saw a Brutal difficulty Single Segment and IL runs. It must be something like that

Kinda? Starcraft 2 is all about the efficiency and micro. AoM relies on funny strats to go fast. There's also a fairly decent amount of glitches with triggers. They're both RTSs so the general macro is similar

Offline Mastakirby

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »
I used to run any% for Kirby's Dreamland and raced 16 star for SM64 but that's about it. I am thinking about running Sunset Overdrive in the future since it legit surprised me with how fun it was.
Life is like a big bowl of animuu

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:33 pm »
I used to run any% for Kirby's Dreamland and raced 16 star for SM64 but that's about it. I am thinking about running Sunset Overdrive in the future since it legit surprised me with how fun it was.

I used to run kirby games too!!!!
Youtube - youtube.com/user/kirbymastah1991
Twitch Stream - twitch.tv/kirbymastah

Print

Hits: 401 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.36 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.