don't click here

How you came up with your username!

Print

Author Topic: How you came up with your username!  (Read 55849 times)

Offline SB737

How you came up with your username!
« on: October 05, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »
I think it would be both interesting and cool to see the stories behind people's username creation.

I'll start with mine - I was looking to make a YouTube account, to post speed runs of Generations (I'd just started speed running at the time). The Sonic Boom was inspired by the Sonic CD song "Sonic Boom" (at least I think that was the case...). The 737, contrary to rumour, does not come from my love of planes (which doesn't exist), but was actually the number that youtube suggested to me, as SonicBoom was obviously taken. SB737, my more recent amendment to it, is just an abbreviation of that, which I chose, as I felt "SonicBoom737" limited me to just Sonic content, in the online world.

Let's hear some other stories :)
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline Parax

Re: How you came up with your username!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:45:31 pm »
Was trying to come up with a new username, tried to find something cool by picking a word and typing it over and over really fast to incite typoes. One of my typoes of "parade" came out as "paraxde", so I added another A and got Paraxade. Later shortened to "Parax".

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • TSC: DarkGravityFlames
  • win10 chrome
  • Code S.O.L, Azure Grimrore ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:07:59 pm »
my name mainly came from my age of empires II online ID back when it was hosted on MSN (to those who know that game even is). it used to be called The Dark Fire, one day I was playing a game (i don't recall the name), it was a gravity-gimmick level, it was dark and it had flames. So I thought DarkGravityFlames (14 year old me). 21 years old now and i think that it is the most corny name i have ever thought of. i just recently shortened it to DGF
My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9TztQrHz0nwzfSZZFoYOVA
PSN = ChaosKnight_56
Steam: TerumiTrueAzure

Championship(s) Held: Sonic Generations
Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:39:16 pm »
I had beaten i wanna be the guy a real long time ago and i felt "The kid" was a good suit for me. That and i'm too lazy to be creative

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:47 am »
For whatever reason, I liked the legendary Pokémon.  When I found a certain website in 2004, I decided to use it as my username.  When I joined GameFAQs later that year, I added the "199" because of that being its regional Pokédex number (and just the name was already taken).

Offline knucklesisawesome

• knuckles' biggest fan
  • TSC Profile
  • android chrome
  • knux will knock y'all out
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:02:38 am »
I came up with mine because,to put it simple,I like knuckles!
Knuckles is and will always be the best sonic character

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 01:40:38 am »
Mine is a deliberate misspelling of a play off a username I used on an AOL messageboard over a decade ago. Only two people besides myself understand my name's connotation, neither of whom have I had any contact with in years. My original name I derived this one from was based on my then-obsession with Squaresoft RPGs.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »
Me and my neighbour started playing guitar around 2005. His name was Sampras (like the tennis player) and registered on an online guitar forum as ZampraZ. When he showed me the site and I signed up, I named myself TimpZ to signify the fact that we were neighbours.

Offline CriticalCyd

• ~('w')~ ~('w')~ ~('w')~
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • =^● ⋏ ●^=
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »
Used to be really into MMOs and I had a character in World of Warcraft called Cydonia named after the Muse song 'Knights of Cydonia'. My guild shortened it to Cyd (pronounced Sid) and I stuck with it ever since as a base for naming characters and accounts since just Cyd is pretty much always taken (i.e. Cydney, Cydonia, Cydders). When I started making content on youtube and twitch I wanted to go with something catchy and a bit silly, so I named myself CriticalCyd as a pun on the term Critical Hit. Guess it woulda worked better if I ran Pokemon games hehe
Speedrunning shenanigans =^● ⋏ ●^=

http://twitch.tv/CriticalCyd
http://youtube.com/CriticalCyd
http://twitter.com/CriticalCyd

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »
I was playing TF2 in the old days, when I encountered a person who was either high or drunk. He was laughing at everything.
I switched my name to 'a moustache' so that when I killed him, it would say 'you were killed by a moustache'. When I got around to killing him, he laughed the hardest I've ever heard anyone laugh before. The name stuck after that, but when I made a Twitch account, I had to replace the space with an underscore, so I did just that.

Kind of a crappy story, I know. :L

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »
Haha moustache awesome reason

Offline CriticalCyd

• ~('w')~ ~('w')~ ~('w')~
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • =^● ⋏ ●^=
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »
This ain't a competition, but Moustache wins :^)
Speedrunning shenanigans =^● ⋏ ●^=

http://twitch.tv/CriticalCyd
http://youtube.com/CriticalCyd
http://twitter.com/CriticalCyd

Offline Fosho

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 03:43:15 pm »
I guess i'll do the handle I'm most known by "Jimmyfosho"

I got Jimmy because ... well thats my nickname and I got fosho because of this scene in the movie "40 Year Old Virgin." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkvlnnBb6A

Offline Vallkyr

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »
My name actually came from a mistake. I used to play World of Warcraft frequently, and for some reason I thought Vallkyr was the name of the king of Stormwind (it's actually Varian Wrynn. I was pretty far off). "Val'kyr" are also a thing in WoW but I didn't know what they were, so I guess I just got them mixed up.
Anyway, when I found out that wasn't his name, I decided to take it for myself. I kinda regret it now, since it's pretty hard to read (the llk messes with people) and the name is often taken, probably because of the Val'kyr being a thing. I've considered shortening it but nothing would make it better so I'm sticking with it

Offline Umbreoff

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 12:23:41 am »
1.  I am the protector of the Sol Emeralds and
2.  No one else had taken it.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 10:58:04 am »
Lack of creativity, I joined with the name SonictheWerehog, and Quartz gave me the nickname Werey. I don't even know where WereyCar came from.

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:40:49 am »
When I discovered the concept of speedrunning, I loved it, so I wanted to have a nickname related to it. Speedruns are about quickness, and the Spanish translation of "quickness" is "rapidez", which becomes "zedipar" if written backwards. I wanted a nickname that had no hits on Google, so I tweaked "zedipar" a bit until I found a word that met that requirement and sounded cool.

a_moustache's story is amusing.

1.  I am the protector of the Sol Emeralds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-1qas-CL14&t=38s

Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline theultimategamer95

• Your typical speed runner
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • I am the ultimate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 11:50:14 am »
I pretty much just let my hand do the typing and this was the only half decent thing to come out.... o.o

Pro story right? WHERE'S MA COOKIE? OpieOP

Really though, I think a_moustache wins this one, lel
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/theultimategamer95

My PSN = greatgamer83

My Skype = theultimategamer95

Offline RigidatoMS

• A big fan of SA2B
  • TSC: Omega Rafael Santos
  • win10 chrome
  • I used to be so childish years ago... I'm sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 12:26:16 pm »
Before I come here, I was making videos of SADX with Gamma. My objective was finish his stage without time bonus. At that time, I referred to him as Omega, from SH and Shadow the Hegdehog. It was really awesome to join TSC.
My Youtube channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl85g5j2ERbADAhTeiYVEOg
Discord: RigidatoMS#6257

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:31 am »
I chose the display name AmyRoseFan cuz well I'm a fan of Amy Rose, (if you really couldn't tell) she's my all time favorite character to play as.
My leaderboard username hfactor66 is the name of my youtube channel, and my original PSN ID before it became Amy_Rose__
a_moustache wins the award for most amusing story, I had to try very hard not to laugh cuz I read this during school time XD
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:56:06 am by AmyRoseFan »
Rings are my specialty.

Offline X

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:53 am »
Obviously I'm incredibly creative and after hours of deep research with a crack team of literature scholars we finally came up with the name.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed [2/16]
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing [5/23]

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:35 am »
I thought it was funny when I was 10 and haven't bothered to change it

Offline Yuuki

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:35 am »
So I was searching for some Japanese names cause I liked how most of them sounded and I saw the name Yuuki. Instantly fell in love with it, it sounded both cool and cute at the same time and if there's something I love it's cuteness. Also loved the fact it's both a boy's and girl's name so I wanted to confuse people on what my gender was (Funny thing it's that some people fell for it xD)
''S'' is just a filler because of how the name was obviously already taken. Thought that adding numbers would be too generic so I went with a letter that's the initial for many things I like (Sonic, Speedrun, etc.)
And for the last time, I don't like Mirai Nikki. Stop asking.

Offline Fivavoa

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:36 am »
Coming up with my username was a long and strenuous journey.

I had a lot of try-hard usernames in the past based on what sounded cool, such as Unknown Master, then Final Radiance (which derived from Last Shine which didn't last long), then Radiant was the name I stuck with for a long time.

I started getting into deep Wii hacking, and got pretty jealous of most prominent member's unique usernames (like Waninkoko, crediar, etc) so I REALLY wanted a unique username.
I also wanted it to be short and simple, without the need of "xX*_MASTER^GAMER_*Xx" or numbers because bleh2typical4me.
At first, I did the "cool word" thing again, using the word "Continuum" and made it into "Muuni-Tnoc" which is obviously backwards. It sounded nice but it was kinda lame and confusing at the same time, so I decided to look for random words and their translations instead. Looked through Japanese (which I thought after a while ended up really generic and typical to see on the internet, and I'm not that big on the culture to begin with) then I went to German, Italian, and most words I used sounded pretty similar to their English versions so that idea then ended rather quickly.

Then finally I decided to pursue something unique to the heritage I am, which is Colombian. As with every race or culture, there was always legends or myths, so I decided to look into Colombian mythologies and found the "Musica Mythology".
Reading through, there were plenty Spanish sounding words which were neat but I decided since most were so small, I'd look for two that sound good together, but a few caught my interest,

"The gods created the first materials of the universe: Fiva (the air), Faova (the cosmic cloud) and Ie (the smoke). "

Ie was removed since it was too short, so I stuck with "Fiva" and "Faova", I put them together, and since "Faova" was a less appealing sounding word than "Fiva" I made it second, removed "Fa" and switched "ova" to "voa" to make it sound smoother together, and here we are today.

This name, on Google, only show results of my stuff to this day. :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:15:04 pm by Fivavoa »

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:03 am »
The besserwisser part of me is screaming at me to point out that Colombian is not a race. But I like the story!

Offline Kirbymon30

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »
Um...I like Kirby, and I like Pokemon. I think I came up with the name when I was around 9. I was so creative, wasn't I...

As for the 30 at the end, it's the 30th time I've used the moniker of "Kirbymon" on any site. Woooooo, naming conventions!

Also, there's my "Doscolas Kirbidna" nickname that I tend to use often, as I think it's at least a bit more original than Kirbymon. And somehow, nobody else on the internet has used it yet! ....Yet. As for where the name came from, "Dos colas" is "two tails" in Spanish (which was a significant language for me to use for some reason)and "Kirbidna" is a combination of "Kirby" and "echidna". Thus, the name is to be interpreted as "Two-tailed Kirby-echidna", which is pretty much my stupid avatar thing that I use on most websites(though technically, it's not a Kirby/echidna hybrid--it used to be, but then I realized that bad fan characters were bad, and I just used the character for the sake of having a god damn avatar. Also for drawing exercises).

Of course, both of my nicks have been taken out of context before, one more so than the other. The only thing I've heard out of the name "Kirbymon" is that it sounded like a Digimon name, which I never actually thought about, lol. "Doscolas Kirbidna", specifically the "Doscolas" part, has been interpreted as "two sodas" or "two asses". Apparently, "colas" is slang for "asses" in Spanish sometimes. The more you know...

So tl;dr, I'm "two-asses bad fan character except not". Do I win a cookie now?
~Sonic Lost World Top 10~
Primary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Dabble into some easy things. Mostly Sonic Chaos, might go back to CD11/Lost World at a later date but most likely not. I'm not that invested in this stuff anymore :V
Secondary Goal (as of 12/1/14): Smash is love, Smash is life

CS Bullshit:

Kirby number TooManyDamnKirbys. Just shy of TSC's youngest, but undoubtedly TSC's stupidest. In fact, I should probably heed this advice:

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit."
                  - Jim C. Hines

Offline Nimrod

• TSC: Nim
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:35 pm »
I stole it from the Green Day album (at least that's where I first noticed the word/name)

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »
Long story short, I'm a huge fan of Sonic and Inuyasha. I also had this username back in late 2006.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Mastakirby

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
To make a long story shorter we used to have these cute rap battles from middle school and onward and we had some nicknames going around for ourselves, before this I was just "DJ91" (Davis II born in 1991) and before that I was "BBlade2004". I thought these were extremely plain but I didn't really care. During these years we also went to these little smash bros. melee tournaments near us and a lot of people would be surprised that I mained Kirby. After winning against some Shiek player some RANDOM dude just yells out "SON, this kid is the master of kirbys man." after getting knocked out of the bracket later my friend Juan said maybe you should call yourself Mastakirby since your looking for a new general nickname. I liked it and boom, rip corny names.
Life is like a big bowl of animuu

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 02:49:55 am »
I’m not the creative, (especially compared to the other stories I’ve read) but I literally based my username on 3 factors that make me different to most.

Dark: (I’m sensitive to bright light), so naturally I love dark environments. (Unless its nearly dark, of very dull outside I have to wear a dark pair of sunglasses/pretty much have my blinds shut during day), so yeah I love pretty much anything dark.

Cold: I hate the heat. My all-time worst weather are hot sunny summer days, (where I resort into spending 15min work-breaks in a dark walk-in freezer).I dislike any temperature above 10C. (50F)….however I love the cold. Winter, being my favourite season - especially when we reach sub-zero temperatures, frosts, snow etc. If I don’t see my breath outside, it’s too hot!

Night: Night = Dark, so I naturally love it when night falls. Nothing beats a 4pm sunset! :D I generally hate daytime, since it’s often warmer and I don’t like being out in the sun. I also operate best during night-time hours. Most of my obtained stats, (especially those that required a lot of work) were also done late at night. (Some were done during the afternoon/early evening….none were done before 2pm, lol).

Since most people seem to love warm weather/summer/long daylight hours etc, and I very much hate that and love the complete opposite, so I decided to make that the basis of my username. (“Cold” sounded bland though, so I thought “Polar” would work better. :P)

Print

Hits: 520 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.42 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.