don't click here

Mega Drive help

Print

Author Topic: Mega Drive help  (Read 6939 times)

Offline SB737

Mega Drive help
« on: August 08, 2014, 11:57:40 am »
So I dug out my mega drive, and I haven't played it for about 7-8 years. Playing it was just... ew. I put sonic 1 in and it just seem to be running properly. Now the only explanation I can think of is that it's running at pal 50, and not pal 60. Or the mega drives just had it. Is there any way to play my mega drive in pal 60? Video here of footage ( sorry for filming it portrait like a retard and m camera phone didn't like the old TV it was on. http://youtu.be/7YmYJy1Q8hE
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline TimpZ

Re: Mega Drive help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »
If you look at the in-game timer and compare with the video timer you can see that the quotient is about 0.83 which means that yes it's running in 50Hz.

There's literally hundreds of 50/60Hz switch mod tutorials on the internet. Exactly what you need to do I think is dependent on the model you have but this should give you an idea: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm

EDIT: PAL60 is impossible because the Gen/MD doesn't support it. If your TV doesn't support NTSC or 60Hz then it's gonna be in black&white. Though you can get an RGB cable if it supports PAL60 and have it work I think (works with all Genesi and can be ordered for like 15€ or less).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:58:33 pm by TimpZ »

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Drive help
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »
If you do a 60 Hz mod, then you *must* either replace the oscillator or use an RGB cable. If you add a 50/60 Hz switch and use composite video without replacing the oscillator, you'll end up with a wacky rainbow pattern.

For 60 Hz, you need a 53.691 MHz oscillator.

(If you use an RGB cable, then this doesn't matter; just the switch will be enough.)

Print

Hits: 195 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1003.39 KB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.