don't click here

Satisfy my Curiosity

Print

Author Topic: Satisfy my Curiosity  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Etch

Satisfy my Curiosity
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:17:49 am »
When I look through the site, seems like character charts are common place but not Sonic R?

http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?topic=2434.msg25097#msg25097

Okay, so just because you have to race 40 sets of times for 10 characters it's arbitrarily too much?

At least on Sonic Gems, it actually saves and tracks all of your records so it's not like you have to scribble them down as you go along.  Pretty sure most people use that version anyway and you should be since balloon records are impossible on Saturn.

So before we shit on this again...

Hyper and I have full time sets but I don't see any way of doing this without everyone resubmitting since current charts are mixed.  That alone is probably enough to kill it since we won't see a slew of old players coming back to complete their profile.  With so much inactivity, would anyone care if these changes were made though?

Most times are probably super sonic to begin with so it's really just the few top times that need to be assigned accordingly.

So why bother?

There are several shortcut specific characters and ones where I haven't gotten OoB yet!  Each character differs on speed/turning/sliding which makes these records unique.  It wasn't until I tried time trialing with other characters that I discovered other breakout points and faster non-sc strats.

Since TSC specializes in the completion of Sonic games at an exceptionally high standard, it only makes sense to track these stats as well in terms of being official but I'm content sticking to cyberscore if this is just not meant to be.

I want to see all the records in one place of course and TSC is the best!

For no reason here's my Sonic R speedruns!
Any% - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-BdLx58Thk
100% - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqK93e7n3UA

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfy my Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »
I don't know, possibly because there may not need to be individual charts for characters. ASR and ASRT didn't have that, so why would Sonic R need it so badly?
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline SonicxD05

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:48:46 pm »
I like the idea; some will disagree, some will agree, and I agree.

Take Resort Island tag. The record is obviously done using Super Sonic, so why not see who is the fastest at doing it as Metal Knux for example?

Sure, the idea seems bizarre. It would take a fuck load of time to submit to every single chart, but since you can submit in bulk, it could be easier. Although I don't have a full set of times just yet (will be done shortly!) I approve of this idea.

I know other racing games don't have individual times for characters, but an exception for Sonic R.

On OoB, I cannot do many of them. Except for the one in Radical City as Amy, which Etch showed me >:).

I mean it would be fun competing in a different character chart.. like, you could be the champion in Tails, Sonic, Robotnik, Amy, Knuckles, Tails Doll, and someone could be in Metal Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Egg Robo and Super Sonic!

So my final answer: In favour of the idea. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Offline InferSaime

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »
I don't know, possibly because there may not need to be individual charts for characters. ASR and ASRT didn't have that, so why would Sonic R need it so badly?

ASR, ASRT, Riders, etc don't save the times for every character. Which Sonic R does. Sonic R doesn't need it but it's a possibility as the characters are diffirent enough to make seperate charts in my opinion.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »
Remember that some of the characters will have different opponents for races and Tag 4 Characters depending on what characters you have unlocked. While this alone doesn't make the charts impossible, it does require to you run two different save files.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Etch

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:33:48 pm »
You can save multiple files on Sonic Gems, not too terrible to set up but essential for fastest tag times.

1. Get all emeralds
2. 100%
3. 6 emeralds and only unlock Tails Doll
4. 6 emeralds and only unlock Metal Sonic
5. 6 emeralds and only unlock Egg Robo
6. 6 emeralds and only unlock Metal Knuckles

I usually just need to toggle between the first two for all of my stats.  Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Robotnik, and Super Sonic tag times are all done on file 1.  Unlocked characters get their own tag files.  When I want to play RE with them, I just need to gather the last emerald on RI but don't save it afterwards.  This introduces super sonic to the mix who you don't want on the other tracks.  I found this to be easier than creating an additional set of files for just one stat, lol.

You only want slow computers on GP's for flaps so there is sufficient time to max your rings but that's normally not a problem.

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »
I like this idea, solely for the fact that I was always the best at Non-OoB play, and having the ability to play like that again to some compacity would give me a chance at first again. :D

Print

Hits: 300 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.