don't click here

Race nights so far...

Print

Author Topic: Race nights so far...  (Read 108745 times)

Offline Parax

Re: Race nights so far...
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
I would assume FF meant tomorrow.

Offline SB737

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:11 pm »
yer i think its tomorrow
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline Cream147

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 01:50:55 pm »
can it be changed to 4pm est - thats more convenient, 10pm is much too late for me, that extra hour earlier makes a big difference

I would suggest that it is probably too late to change the time for this week now. I think what we need to do is have a proper discussion about times here, possibly one where everyone says what times they can do so we can pick out a time that excludes the fewest people. I don't know, but I do think we should have a discussion.

P.S. It's tomorrow

Offline flying fox

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »
I meant tomorrow sorry I haven't been really well. These past few days I have been lying in bed with horrendous headaches and feeling sick.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:44 pm »
My point is, this is all very loosely strung together and if you want this to be a nice cool regular big race for sonic games then either someone needs to step up or more time is needed to get something organised. I mean not even the front page has been updated since S3&K and you want hype for SA2 which is tomorrow?

I'm just trying to be blunt about it, this topic is regarding race nights so far and my opinion is that this needs some more focus on it or it's going to die out pretty fast.

Offline Parax

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:59 pm »
Okay, there's way too much indecision in this thread, so let's settle some of this.

1. Race night will be every Saturday at 5PM EDT. This is final unless someone comes up with a really good reason to change it.

2. The race is scheduled for 5. If you are not ready by 5, you will be removed from the race. You have plenty of time to show up and get ready, there is absolutely no reason we should be waiting on someone 10 or 15 minutes after the scheduled start time. If you want to be sure, make sure you get there early. You can still participate by starting late, but you won't be in RaceBot's results.

3. Tomorrow's race will be Sonic Adventure 2. Any version of the game is allowed. As for goal, we'll start from a new file, but whether we do Hero, Dark, or both is up for debate until tomorrow morning, at which point a final decision will be made.

Offline SB737

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 03:21:02 pm »
at LAST - some organization, cheers umbreon

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)

Offline flying fox

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:26 pm »
Right couple of things I just thought of. We could say meet up at SRL 15 minutes before races actually start for setting up. That should give us some time to pick the game,goal and people turn up. Then we must start at the time picked.

Edit: since it looks like so many people are for it, you guys are picking the goal now :o

Just wanted to point this out since I did do some organisation earlier. I also did say that the race would always be at 5pm EDT and it was SA2. I did say to read my posts and I did explain my absence on this topic this week -_-

Offline SB737

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »
flyingfox:
dont worry, u were ill and it's not ur fault, just everyone getting confused,  there were so many posts lol

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:24 pm »
Cool. Now we just need an official page on the site where the rules and stuff are spelled out, past races and the upcoming race is presented. To have everything on the race page in the forum could work but it could easily become kind of cluttered or hard to navigate and such. Or at least keep the current system up with some modifications such as adding the set-in-stone time and then make every new race a new topic with game and date in the subject.

Make it official baby!

Offline flying fox

« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »
I'll see what I can do but I should probably wait till I'm better after what happened earlier >_<

Offline Parax

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:17 pm »
By the way guys, there's a front page post for the SA2 race now. As it turned out, Thorn had just made a front page post about SA2 and NiGHTS, and then I posted that five minutes later without realizing Thorn was posting anything. Soo, if you were wondering why I haven't been doing new front page posts for every race, there you go.

As for setting up some pages for race night on the main site, I agree long term that's the way to go, but given how the last few races went, I'd prefer to wait and make sure there will even be a long term first.

Offline Parax

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
Okay, theres been zero discussion on the goal, so we're going to race Hero Story.

Race starts in a bit under 3 hours. Let's make this a big one.

Offline Parax

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »
Sonic Adventure 2 race just wrapped up, was a pretty big success; 13 entrants, which makes it the biggest SA2 race on SRL from what I've heard. So I'm gonna share a few of my current thoughts and let you guys know about a change to the race night system we'll be making.

I believe one of the biggest issues with race night as it is right now is a lack of organization, and ultimately nobody has any idea what's happening or what game is being played until right before the race. There's a few factors behind why this keeps happening, but ultimately I believe the polling system just isn't as good an idea in practice as it is on paper. I suggested a setup a couple weeks ago where racers would decide what to race right before the race. This just made the issue even worse.

To address this, we're going to move away from the polling system and instead implement a rotation. Every Saturday at 5PM EDT we will rotate through a list of pre-selected games. I'm leaving it up to FF to determine exactly what games are in the rotation, but feel free to chime in with your own suggestions if you'd like. You guys can still decide what goals you want to do, but if there's no consensus, FF can make a dictator decision. :P

Another thing is that we're probably going to abandon SDM's system. There's been little interest in it plus SDM has not been around to maintain it, so there's really no point in keeping it around.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2012, 08:27:40 pm »
I agree with Umbreon about taking out SDM's system. Since S3&K no one has asked for a rankings card, the creator behind it hasn't been seen for nearly 3 weeks, plus it's extra work for me to do. When I thought about reviving race nights, there wasn't going to be a ranking system. It was going to be about people getting together to have fun and these quotes best describe it:

<yoshifan> getting together and playing video games = success, imo
<Cream147> yoshifan: agreed

Offline SB737

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2012, 02:16:57 am »
If flyingfox decides what we'll race, will it still alternate between 2d and 3d?

Offline Cream147

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2012, 06:58:12 am »
Incidentally, to my knowledge Sonic Advance is the game being raced next week.

Offline SB737

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2012, 09:12:32 am »
OK
can i just say I think there are 3 things that made this race night a Success
1. Time - we had a set time and it started on schedule, everyone was aware of it, so they new when to come and race
2. Front page post - the race night was posted on the front page - the one time that it wasnt posted on the home page was the worst one - yesterday was a great success and that's cos everyone knew about it - we just have to advertise it to people and they'll race.
3. The game - SA2 is a great game, tbh i don't like heroes so that may have put people off compared to SA2 which everyone likes. After doing alot of race nights I think we'll get an idea of what games are popular and which games aren't.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2012, 07:49:46 pm »
Sorry I haven't posted earlier, I was waiting for a period when I would have no migraine and not be asleep >_>

This race was a success with a turnout of 13 people and from what I can see from the race channel, everyone was having fun. So if we can make the next one a success I will make some positive changes to Race Nights. I have already started a list of games that everyone seems to be happy to race to like S3 and SA2B. Heroes of course won't be on the list, since that didn't get a huge turnout.

Edit: Yes we will alternate between 2D and 3D. My reason for this is so that we have variety. There are some people who prefer 3D over 2D and vice versa. This way the people who prefer let's say 2D won't have to wait too long for it to appear.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:56:13 pm by flying fox »

Offline flying fox

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2012, 09:15:36 pm »
Sorry for the double post but wanted to say that action has already been done on race nights. Thanks to Umbreon TRN247 has been taken down including any posts linked to it and SDM has been taken off as a mod. More work is being done to it at the moment.

Edit: New awesome board description.
Edit 2: Race Nights rules have been added.
Edit 3: Games discussion topic opened.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:28:56 pm by flying fox »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:28 am »
some really good things to hear lately regarding the races.  also not surprised at sdm's involvement.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline flying fox

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2012, 07:17:22 am »
Yes I know thread necromancy, but this is worth it as I want to discuss about Unofficial Race Night and how it went so far.

Imo I knew it wasn't going to be as popular as RN, but there was some interest as we had five racers for each race. I would like to continue with this, but I was thinking of making one small change, such as maybe only race one game, just like RN. Tell me what you think and if there's anything else you want to discuss, please say so on here. I would like to try and make URN as good as RN :)

Offline SB737

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2012, 07:53:47 am »
yer i think only one game would be better, or two really short games

Print

Hits: 300 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.