Yes
24 (92.3%)
No
1 (3.8%)
Not sure
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Print

Author Topic: Revive TSC Race Nights?  (Read 28541 times)

Offline flying fox

Revive TSC Race Nights?
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:42:56 pm »
After reading on some posts about bringing the community back together, I pitched an idea to the admins about reviving TSC Race Nights. As last time this happened it was a success and looked like people were having fun. However, I was told that this stopped because of SRL.

I was thinking of maybe doing a 2D race one week, then a 3D race the other week, since there might be some people out there who hate racing let's say 2D and would rather race 3D. Just to mix it up a bit. We could also race hacks if people wanted to, even Sonic games that aren't on TSC such as Spinball.

This poll is just to see if people would be interested in doing something like this again. If so there will be more talk on how to implement it, because of SRL.

Please post your comments about this as there is probably something I haven't thought of or you guys might have some ideas of your own.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:56:59 pm by Zeupar »

Offline DarkAura

Re: Revive TSC Race Nights?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:44:48 pm »
I say yes.. But.. I can't really join in(runs finger down face like a tear).  I can over Thanksgiving. So.. make sure 3D is over Thanksgiving!
hi my name is izzy and i dye my hair to look like scarlett johansson

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »
srb2 srb2 srb2 srb2 srb2
isketch isketch isketch isketch
sa2 race

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Parax

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »
Random thought, if we brought Race Nights back we could use the main TSC stream to stream every racer's stream simultaneously :P

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:21 pm »
Good idea. But I have no clue how to work twitch.. Hah.

Offline SB737

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:02:27 am »
im in, looks like i could only compete on emulator possible games cos i dont have a capture card - any recomendations for a capture card that works on all consoles for europe? Then I can stream sonic 4 ep 1&2 and generations live.
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:17 am »
I'd join in if we did it on SpeedRunsLive. Their system is just perfect for racing. Plus we might expose SRLers to TSC.

If not, then I probably wouldn't join in tbh. TSC doesn't have a leaderboard for races and I can't see GS putting in a bunch of effort to add them. I race on SRL primarily because I like seeing my rank go up and comparing my times with previous times to see if I've improved.

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:37:16 am »
I'd join in if we did it on SpeedRunsLive. Their system is just perfect for racing. Plus we might expose SRLers to TSC.

If not, then I probably wouldn't join in tbh. TSC doesn't have a leaderboard for races and I can't see GS putting in a bunch of effort to add them. I race on SRL primarily because I like seeing my rank go up and comparing my times with previous times to see if I've improved.
Was pretty much thinking this, especially the first part.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Parax

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:28 am »
We would be really really stupid not to use SRL.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:31:32 am »
Random thought, if we brought Race Nights back we could use the main TSC stream to stream every racer's stream simultaneously :P

I second this.

Good idea. But I have no clue how to work twitch.. Hah.

If you're serious about this I could help you set it up or someone else can, it's not that hard.

im in, looks like i could only compete on emulator possible games cos i dont have a capture card - any recomendations for a capture card that works on all consoles for europe? Then I can stream sonic 4 ep 1&2 and generations live.

Using an emulator shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't cheat :P. People use emulators for racing in SRL. I live in Europe and I use a dazzle, I think you can use it for streaming but I haven't got round to sorting it out yet.

'd join in if we did it on SpeedRunsLive. Their system is just perfect for racing. Plus we might expose SRLers to TSC.

I was hoping to do race nights on SRL for a number reasons which you just pointed out. With their ranking system we could have some competition between each other. Plus there's the possibility of bringing in new players as I heard there was a 19 person sonic race going on the other night.

We would be really really stupid not to use SRL.

I agree.

Something I forgot to mention the other night. I was thnking of putting a list of games up, and people could just vote for the one that they want to race. The one with the most votes will be the game that we race. I think doing it that way would make most people happy. Should also put up what character they want to play as well. This is just ideas I'm throwing out there.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:40:40 am »
I'm not sure if I'm in any shape to race yet, but streaming the races sounds like it would be an instant success. And I see no reason why we couldn't have a race leaderboard too.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:59:49 am »
I think we could have a monthly rotation and I think we can do a race more often than once a week. Not everyone needs to be around for each race, and we can also split up the 3d players and the 2d players based on what days they are available to race. Say Sundays are 3d race nights and Wednesdays are 2D race nights. Or have two nights for each. That way we can get more games in per month.

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:24:00 pm »
^ I second this. I will get down on my knees and beg for a 3D race on the weekends. I can't stream with unfinished homework. A. I won't be focused. B. I should get good grades. I want to be on honor role to skip study hall.

Offline Parax

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 03:21:11 am »
So we have 14 yeses and one no vote, and whoever did that no vote, screw them, they don't have to participate. There's obviously significant interest. Does anyone have any date preferences? If I remember correctly race night used to be every week on Fridays, so we could do our first one this friday night if everyone's good with that.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:27:27 am »
I think we could have a monthly rotation and I think we can do a race more often than once a week. Not everyone needs to be around for each race, and we can also split up the 3d players and the 2d players based on what days they are available to race. Say Sundays are 3d race nights and Wednesdays are 2D race nights. Or have two nights for each. That way we can get more games in per month.

This is actually a good idea. That way if people only prefer to race one of them, they don't have to wait that long.

15 Yeses now! Yep we're doing this. This friday should be enough time to organise it. 

Offline SB737

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 07:37:24 am »
i think friday and saturday nights are most convenient for me, but hopefully it will be conveninet for everyone - personally i'd like to see sonic 1, 2, 3&k, CD, and the GG Sonic 1 & 2 as games played, and for 3D games it should be Generations, Unleashed & Colours, & Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. And also Sonic 4 Episode 1, 2 and Episode Metal (But they'll probably come under 2D games). I'm assuming all platforms will be allowed, so emulating games and PC versions of generations and Sonic Adventure are Ok. I'm not very familiar with TSC race night cos I've not been a member for that long. :)

P.S - For console games I think a capture card would be required for live streaming - can anyone recommend to me a good quality and cheap capture card for all consoles (My PC is right next to my consoles so it's not a problem about running back and forth :)

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)

Offline flying fox

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:29 am »
http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?topic=4449.msg48521#msg48521

Found it! TSC race nights used to be on saturdays. It would be nice if we could carry on this tradition, but yeah tell us what you guys think suitable days would be for the two races. So that way we can get as many people racing as possible.

Offline Parax

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »
sonicboom, emulators are fine.

Saturdays work too. :P Next Saturday then?

Offline Parax

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »
One of the classic games would be a good start imo.

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »
We should all race Sonic 3 Competition Mode Grand Prix

MVGame

Offline flying fox

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
If more people are happy with saturday then we'll go with that. We just need to establish another day for the other race. So reading Umby's post I'm guessing we should start with 2D on saturday and have 3D on the other day whatever that will be?

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 03:03:28 pm »

No point in doing that since SRL already has a page showing all streams for who is in the race.

Offline Parax

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
Actually to be more specific I'd like to propose we race Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Decently long game, should be good race material.

Offline Gpro

• TSC: Gamepro011
  • win10 firefox
  • It's okay; don't worry about it
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »
If SADX was in the race, there would need to be different divisions for the PC and DC versions. The PC version has instant loading times, and it saves 4-6 minutes on its own, which is completely unfair to the console players. For DC, it's the opposite. You can't skip cutscenes, so the DC players would be down by 20-30 minutes, despite the player's skill. Even if the person TASed(only in theory, since DC TAS isn't possible), they'd be down by 15-25 minutes.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:43 pm »
I'm up for weekend sonic races as long as it's not like 3-4 am in the morning like saturday night bingo. Perhaps there should be a main game every week and then since everyone is gathered you could chat and go do your main ones with people. I know how hard it can be to find races sometimes...

Offline DarkAura

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:30 pm »
To the 3D games list, please add 06. I like that game(let the hate commence). I can do it Saturdays, as long as my homework is done, (I finish it on friday so that should be no problem).

And Sonicboom, I use a dazzle, which is decent for a good price, (fifty dollars and comes with pinnacle studios 12, which is a very good editing software.) It can record in HD, or so I believe.

Offline SB737

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 08:09:13 am »
I propose friday night and saturday night, whether u do 3d or 2d on which day doesnt bother me, I think for games like DX where loading times are a difference then u should make it fair and make it console specific. I'm only available very other weekend though

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »
I don't think Dazzles can capture HD footage. Dazzle is set to capture with a composite connection (standard definition), not component. Even the "Plus HD" model Dazzles won't record in HD, they just include the HD (instead of SD) version of their Studio editing suite. Anyway I'm sure streaming with a dazzle would be totally fine.
Although I won't be participating in these race night events, I can see that many people are available on Fridays and Saturdays (especially the latter), so those might be good days to hold the races. I support SB's two-races-a-week proposal, and S3&K would make a good game for the first race (which, from what I've read so far, will hopefully be held this Saturday). 3D Fridays and 2D Saturdays would work, but in the end it comes down to what the race participants and organizers want to do and when. So good luck to everyone, and most important of all have fun :D
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »
The only problem with this is I will barely get to compete if it's around 7PM your time. This means I'll have to be doing things everynight at 12pm, and as some people at SRL have experienced my parents decide to turn my internet off quite often at night, meaning I won't be able to race.

also srb2

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »
Well I wanted to talk about what time we should have it. We need a time that is -almost- suitable for everyone.

Also how does everyone feel about having two races in the weekend say friday and saturday maybe? There are many people here who have school, college, uni, jobs and other things that take priorities. So I thought maybe the weekend would be better for everyone.

Print

Hits: 94 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.