don't click here

TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Late Planning Stages

Print

Author Topic: TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Late Planning Stages  (Read 109873 times)

Offline FuzZerd

Re: Return of "TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Very Very Early Planning Stages"
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »
I don't know how to stream or I would try and run some of the main series <_<.

Offline werster

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 05:43:14 am »
So clearly we have enough support to do this, to cover plenty of games. I think it's time to actually gets some gears going and put together some ideas to put these into motion.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
Thorn's trying to rope me in. >_>

No idea how I'd do the stream, but that can't be too hard (since clearly I'd emulate). Advance 2 I can do with quite a bit of confidence. I'm a bit rusty (since I haven't submitted anything in over 2 years), but once I start playing again the routes should come down. (Disclaimer: not so much for anything Music Plant, IP1 or TB2 not so much either.) I do have a controller so I should be able to airdash, which would put Sonic up for the run.

If need be I can do anything else in the advance series, but adv1 I'm just okay at, 3 would either be a lot of team juggling or me saying "screw it, S+T for everything, this is going to suck, especially CA3." I could do Rush too, but I hardly remember any of the routes.

Timing is a huge issue though, since I work full time and I'm in grad school. Weekends aren't an issue, but weekdays are. Mondays I have class, Tuesdays I go wargaming, Wednesdays class, Thursdays I usually go out drinking, Fridays are D&D. Though I am on spring break 2/20-2/24. (Might take that week off work too.)

Also I do have Skype for commentary. >_>
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:29:38 pm by Spinballwizard »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
I'm using this post to sort out who's volunteered for what, either in here or in chat, and the conditions under which people volunteered.

• Sonic 1: Naegleria
  • Sonic 2: werster
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles: werster, RPG + flying fox (as a co-op run, this is unique and I don't think other volunteers will be necessary unless these two have issues)
  • Blue Sphere: ptorflaxendrosis, Thorn
  • Sonic 4 Episode 1: Umbreon
  • Sonic CD: Thorn, bertin (does not want to use 2011 version)
  • Knuckles' Chaotix: Thorn
  • Sonic 1 8-bit: bertin
  • Sonic 2 8-bit: werster
  • Sonic Chaos: bertin
  • Sonic Triple Trouble: bertin
  • Sonic Blast: bertin
  • Sonic Labyrinth: werster, bertin
  • Sonic Drift 2: bertin
  • Tails Adventures: werster, Axon
  • Sonic Jam: Thorn
  • Sonic 3D Blast: Thorn (using Saturn version)
  • Sonic R: Thorn, RPG, bertin
  • Sonic Shuffle: Thorn
  • Sonic Adventure: Ring Rush (will only do Big's story), bertin
  • Sonic Adventure 2: Werey, ptorflaxendrosis, Talon
  • Sonic Heroes: werster, DsS (maybe)
  • Shadow: Groudon
  • Sonic 2006: RPG, Umbreon
  • Sonic Pocket Adventure: RPG
  • Sonic Advance: Zeupar, Spinny (if necessary)
  • Sonic Advance 2: Spinny
  • Sonic Advance 3: werster, Spinny (if necessary)
  • Sonic Rush: Spinny (if necessary)
  • Sonic Riders - Zero Gravity: Thorn
  • Sonic Unleashed Wii/PS2: SonicandInuyasha, FKE? (was unclear on version and would prefer not to)
  • Sonic Unleashed 360/PS3: Umbreon, Werey, FKE? (was unclear on version and would prefer not to)
  • Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing: Groudon, Werey, Thorn, Zeupar (all have 360 version)
  • Sonic Rivals: FKE
  • Sonic Rivals 2: FKE
  • Sonic and the Black Knight: flying fox
  • Sonic Colors Wii: ptorflaxendrosis, Thorn, FKE? (would prefer not to)
  • Sonic Generations (console): Umbreon, Werey, FKE, Talon

Taco needs a refresher on Sonic in general but can contribute. Cruizer's games will depend on if he can get the right equipment for them. danieldude has a bevy of games he volunteered for, but I want to see good stats out of him first in whatever games he wants to do (no disrespect meant, but we need a combination of good gameplay and entertaining commentary, and I need proof of at least one since I know neither of him); I very much appreciate his offer and will keep him in mind should he show his skills.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:36:47 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Early Planning Stages
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 03:29:07 pm »
I have removed the "Very Very" from the topic title, as we've made some progress. While we continue to plan, let's do some compare and contrast!

Respawn Point's second Sonic marathon finished recently, and it accrued $2565 for Child's Play. They played the main story of most of the "main" games in the series with very few breaks for a week straight.

How are we similar? We've got a large list of games ready to play and the ability to actually finish them on a stream. We'll be playing at least every game they did (although we need somebody to volunteer for Sonic 1). We won't be nonentities: we have connections through Speed Demos Archive, and I intend to promote us on Sonic Retro, where many members know of TSC. Lastly, it's all for charity.

How are we different? We won't all be in one place, but instead using Skype, allowing TSCers to come and go at their leisure. We don't have a rigid timeline set, but I expect we'll be having shorter sessions over a longer time instead of having one long marathon: this removes some of the allure, but also gives us more cushion in the case of schedule slip and lets us stream at times when we can get the most viewers and donators. We may involve other Sonic Team fan communities. We have known skills at Sonic games that most other Sonic websites can't match. We'll be avoiding the main story in games that would take an entire day and jumping right into the parts that will draw crowds. Where their marathon only had 33 possible games and not all of them would be played, we already have volunteers for up to 36 games and us not streaming with no breaks means we can conceivably extend the marathon for more if the donations keep coming.

Given this information, I see no reason why we can't match their accrued donations or even surpass it. I'm not saying this to be competitive, but to justify getting this underway.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Early Planning Stages
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 08:13:04 pm »
On a serious note I know Thorn has put himself forward for it, but I would actually volunteer myself for doing a 100% Sonic R run, and I might have a practice at SPA to see if I can get competent at it again. Playing S06 co-op with emma has motivated me to try and help out as much as I can with this; there aren't terribly many games that I'm actually great at it instead of just good, so I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for those (I know I'm not really high ranked at Sonic R, but that's entirely because fuck those OOB glitches).
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 12:22:18 pm »
Hey Thorn, I also what to join Sonic 2, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors Wii and Sonic Generations. I know I don't have the game but I want to join anyway. I see lots of videos of it anyway.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »
^ This isn't a list of who is commentating on what; we'll figure that out later. The list is for people who have volunteered to run through each game live, and if you don't have the game, you clearly can't do that.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 02:53:09 am »
Eh, fine.  I'll offer for Sonic Advance 3.  As long as it's not gonna be ridiculously soon.

On the plus side, I can relearn that horrible, horrible T+S R99-2 strat to get a nice T+S R99-3.  Though this only matters if I start from a fresh file.

Also I'd probably try the T+A CA3 strat a few times but I'll probably wimp out on the first platform flight if I fail it too many times.  (I recall the second platform being easy enough and the third just needing some mashing.)

I'd offer for Riders as well, but there's no way I'd be able to emulate that and I still don't have recording equipment for that >_>

Speaking of emulation, did any other marathons do so? <_<
Hi

Offline MrSparkle

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:05 am »
I'm willing to stream s1. I'm plenty good enough to play the game in 1 sitting and not game over.
Doin Good

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »
Yeaaaah, the only reason I didn't volunteer for S1 is because I can't TA it for anything.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:03 pm »
The list is being actively updated every day, so check back to see who's doing what.

@MrSparkle: With all due respect, "I'm plenty good enough to play [Sonic 1] in 1 sitting and not game over" isn't very encouraging or really what sets TSC's marathon apart from any other one. :s

I want to start getting time estimates on runs and performing test streams and Skype calls soon, since almost all games have a solid volunteer. Will anybody volunteer for Riders 1?

Offline flying fox

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:56 pm »
Due to recent circumstances I'm going to have to drop S2GG and Chaos. You'll know why soon enough >_>

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
[13:08:26] <+Selphos> If I had any means of streaming consoles whatsoever
[13:08:29] <+Selphos> I'd fuckin' take Riders
[13:08:31] <+Selphos> JUST SAYING
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:07 pm »
wait, how soon is this going to happen?
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:09 pm »
^ It'll happen after all players prove that they can stream themselves and Skype simultaneously (either by Skyping themselves, or co-hosting one of us running Skype) and we get a few tests done to estimate the time spent on each game. Then we'll need two or three weeks to advertise before we kick things off.

EDIT: I was reminded in chat that alongside NiGHTS, Puyo, Billy Hatcher, and PSO, I failed to mention Ristar as a Sonic Team game. If anybody wants to run that and can do it to TSC standards, that would be awesomeness.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:03:14 pm by Thorn »

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »
@Thorn: My Skype is SonicandInuyasha. I have my real name after my username. Just so you know.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:38 pm »
So flying fox helped me test how viable a Mean Bean tournament would be for the marathon. Our matches can be viewed here at 2:00 and 6:45. The only two things I didn't do were test the streaming of a spectated match (which would require a third TSCer) and customize the visuals and voices (since the Japanese would freak participants out, and since a Sonic theme would simply sit better). Despite that, things look just fine, so

where doing it man
where MAKING THIS HAPEN
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:54:57 pm by Thorn »

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »
My skype name is just "ptorflaxendrosis", and also, I had an idea for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, if anyone's interested. We could do a low % type thing, and skip unnecessary items. I've been looking into low % in SA2B for a while and, with some help from some fellow TSCers, have found many items can be skipped. All of Sonic's items, all of shadow's, all of rouge's, all but one of knuckles', all but one of eggman's, and all but two of tails'. (on the GC version, which is what I have.)

It makes for a pretty interesting, and difficult twist to the story modes. I think people would be interested in seeing the tricks that have to be pulled off.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »
^ Considering we're going for speed anyways, only necessary items going to be collected anyways. (Hover and lightspeed dash are both necessary for that; obviously things like armor powerups are going to be skipped.)

So flying fox helped me test how viable a Mean Bean tournament would be for the marathon.
YES. THIS MUST HAPPEN. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. AND YOU ARE ALL GOING DOWN, I OWN THIS GAME.

</nerdgasm>

How feasible is it to stream Gens/Kaillera netplay? (At least from one side, realistically you wouldn't need both players streaming.) Because realistically we'd want to remain as close to the actual game as we can.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:39 pm »
^ Glad to see somebody's on board. :P It's really not feasible to expect emulator play to stay synched, especially with people who may not have done it before. There's also a big problem with Mean Bean (which uses the original Puyo Puyo rules) that makes tournaments a bad idea: you can't defend at all! A five-chain will fill an entire field, and there's no stopping it. flying fox reported control lag while I didn't have any lag at all, and I don't want the game to amount to a short race.

flying fox and I played using a beta version of Puyo Puyo VS 2 by Hernan. It has options for Puyo Pop Fever rules (the version from 15th Anniversary and 7, for the at most one Puyo player reading this) or Puyo Puyo 2 (Tsu) rules, and we used the latter. Tsu differs from Mean Bean in four easy-to-understand, beneficial ways:
  • Attacks cancel each other out. Notice that if we both launch attacks before nuisance puyo fall, the person who does the stronger attack takes no damage.
  • If you're placing Puyo and you're in a narrow column, you can tap one rotate button twice to flip them, even though there's no room to rotate.
  • Big chains are weaker than they were in Mean Bean to encourage counterattacking.
  • If you empty your field of all puyo and nuisance puyo, you get an All Clear bonus of 30 nuisance puyo added to your next attack.
If you're as serious as your nerdgasm suggests, you can always meet me for a few matches; I realized I still have more things to test and I just plain like the game.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:22:58 am by Thorn »

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:09 pm »
Mean Bean is win.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 08:42:30 pm »
^ Good to hear, because Emerl, Selphos, and I just came off of an hour of three-player Puyo Puyo Tsu and Puyo Pop Fever, and it worked incredibly smoothly. There is pretty much no way this isn't happening for the marathon now (yes I said that before, but I forgot to test more than two players).

It was fun and I would like for it to be a thing like TSC Mafia or Toulouse or SRB2 were. :(

Offline werster

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:10 am »
Well I found out Mike took Gems Collection with him, which means imma have to drop Fighters. I figured out how to stream console + skype decently on this internet so I'll do a test soon, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it well on emulator, which rules out the thoughts I had of running sonic 1 as well :(

Oh, I think that means Advance 3 is on Quartz too because iono what happened to that cart either <_<

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 06:49:59 pm »
Quote from: Axon
I can do Tails Adventures. Here's one of my runs.

http://www.justin.tv/axon64/b/302334525

Posted here after it was accidentally put in CF's old topic.

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
Can some people tell me their opinion on my low upgrades run idea for SA2B? I think it would be interesting to see, but I want some other opinions. :P

Offline Axon

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »
Quote from: Axon
I can do Tails Adventures. Here's one of my runs.

http://www.justin.tv/axon64/b/302334525

Posted here after it was accidentally put in CF's old topic.
Oops, sorry about that. Thanks for fixing it.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »
I Can Run Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Adventure (Amy's Story)

Sonic Labyrinth in 19:55: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCHkU3a9H34  I got that in about a week, so I could improve it by a lot before the marathon.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:19 pm »
I figured out how to stream console + skype decently on this internet so I'll do a test soon, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it well on emulator, which rules out the thoughts I had of running sonic 1 as well :(
This is relevant information for me considering I'd be emulating Advance 2 since I have no webcams or GB players or any of that. But I haven't done any tests or anything on that since I am a complete dumbass when it comes to streaming since I've never done it before and I'm lazy.

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:25 pm »
Can some people tell me their opinion on my low upgrades run idea for SA2B? I think it would be interesting to see, but I want some other opinions. :P

I think it would be very entertaining to watch because of the tricks and alternate routes that have to be utilized. I'm definitely interested in seeing it.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Print

Hits: 282 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.30 MB | Time: 0.36s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.