don't click here

TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Late Planning Stages

Print

Author Topic: TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Late Planning Stages  (Read 109888 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Late Planning Stages
« on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »
I've brought this up a few times in chat, but I think it's time to start getting ideas together.

Considering that tons of other sites have done successful charity Sonic Marathons (such as Bonus Stage Marathons), and considering I've spoken to a couple of SDA/TSC members who would back it, I truly think this is something we could pull off. It would be easier now than ever before considering how game streaming and Skype use have become pretty prevalent on TSC. CosmicFalcon tried putting something together a long time ago in this topic, but it didn't really get off the ground. In the interest of not stretching the front page to ridiculous proportions with this topic, I'm going to double-post: front-page readers can click the comments link at the lower-right of this message to view the rest of the topic.

Anybody who has thoughts or suggestions and anybody who wants to contribute or play during the marathon should post. Note that if there's conflict between people wanting to play a certain game, I intend to look at both their popularity on the site and their game rank to make a decision: we want both entertaining gameplay and commentary, not just one or the other.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:08:21 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: Return of "TSC Marathoning Shenanigans - Very Very Early Planning Stages"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »
Right, to the specifics!

I really have no preference as to which charity to donate to, although the usual choice for gamers is Child's Play, using a service such as PayPal for donations. More important at the moment is the selection of games, commentators, players, and broadcast times.

I would likely make a TSC Twitch.tv account and share the username and password with all streamers. Players would log on when it's their time to stream, then log off and notify the next player when done playing. The last streamer of the night would be responsible for telling Twitch.tv to save all of the night's streams for later viewing. While in some cases it would be nice to have players at the same physical location (e.g. any two-player games), most of our on-stream talk would likely be done over Skype. I also intend to broaden our audience by reaching out to some other Sonic Team fan communities such as Sonic Retro, NiGHTSIntoDreams.com, and Puyo Nexus for fangames and hacks, NiGHTS, and Puyo Puyo (i.e. the series we know only as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine) respectively. If we could work in other Sonic Team games/series like Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg or Phantasy Star Online, that'd be great, but I'm not sure how viable those are for gathering an audience.

I don't intend for us to do the games in any chronological or stylistic ordering so that we don't have, say, a night of all of the 2D games followed by a night of 3D games followed by a night of "who's heard of these, who'll care to watch this" games. I also don't intend for us only to do the games we play on TSC, although we probably won't do every game out there and the below list will be narrowed down.

Games and Thoughts on Them
  • Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles: We need to decide if emeralds are being collected or not. We can probably do what SDA does and take donations for character requests. It might be worth using Sonic Jam or Sonic & Knuckles Collection to mix things up.
  • Blue Sphere: Password --> Stage generators are on the net, and we can play only the fun ones. This can go right on the end of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where if the game doesn't take up as much time as allotted, this can be played until the next stream should start.
  • Sonic CD: As a community stream, I think it's only logical that we use The Taxman's version. As before, we need to decide if Time Stones would be worth collecting.
  • Sonic 4 Episode 1: One full-game playthrough will do. Again, should we stream special stages?
  • 8-bit Sonic 1 and 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Blast: We're playing in real time, so no PAL trickery will be necessary.
  • Sonic Drift 1 and 2: Are these exciting enough to get an audience?
  • Sonic Labyrinth, Tails' Skypatrol, Tails Adventures: The latter one in particular is a cult classic, so I picture us doing that. I'm unsure of the former two.
  • Sonic Eraser: ???
  • Sonic Spinball: We probably don't need to stream both the 8-bit and 16-bit versions, if any at all. I'm leaning towards a 16-bit stream, without stopping for multiball bonus rounds.
  • Sonic 3D Blast: We'd stream the Saturn version, of course.
  • Knuckles' Chaotix: We need two people in the same place streaming this in two-player mode. I will volunteer for what the rest of you consider horrendous. :P
  • Sonic Championship (Fighters): This could be a quick single-character romp, which could be made even better if somebody on TSC can consistently obtain Super Sonic.
  • Sonic's Schoolhouse: I don't own this anymore. :(
  • Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio: This is only a Sonic game in that Sonic and Tails are there. It's not really enticing enough to stream.
  • Sonic R: Unlock Tails Doll right away, then main him...? It's pretty much impossible to clear Hard difficulty this way, but Sonic fans love this plushy killer, so perhaps Easy mode will do.
  • Sonic Jam: I suppose we could play around in Sonic World, streaming both missions and museums. The Game.com version can gtfo.
  • Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes: We could stream any version of these games. One story from each game will probably be long enough, as well as streaming Green Hill. Heroes could use Super Hard.
  • Sonic Shuffle: This is another case where we need people to gather in one place for maximum entertainment. One board will probably be enough if the game is sufficiently long.
  • Sonic Pocket Adventure: I seem to remember my PC throwing a hissy fit when I tried to stream this. If screen captures and emulators will cooperate, then we could do this, but if not, it's mostly just simplified Sonic 2 layouts.
  • Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3: One character is enough for each of these (yes, except Advance 3, smartasses)
  • Sonic Pinball Party: I'm unsure on this one.
  • Sonic Battle: I think a character's story would seem boring. I propose a bout on every level (including Green Hill) while constantly changing characters.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: We'd need to see how to stream this at a reasonable length. Expert Mode may be too long, and a single story may be too short.
  • Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Colors DS, Sonic Generations 3DS: If emulation won't stream smoothly enough, then we'll need to use webcams for videos and auxillary cables for audio. Sonic Generations 3DS will require a webcam and auxillary cable no matter what.
  • Sonic Chronicles: I really don't think this would work for a stream.
  • Sonic Riders series: We'll need to see if the few people on TSC that own the third game can stream it well.
  • Sonic 2006: As opposed to full stories, I propose representing all stages and bosses in the stream via various DLC missions. This will cut down on bad cutscenes and loading times while staying interesting.
  • Sonic Rivals 1 and 2: I believe FKE has the proper PSP and cables for these streams. PSP-1000s (launch models) cannot stream without webcam and auxillary cable use.
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight: I am unfamiliar with these and do not know how long they would take to stream if done in story mode. If it's too long, then simply showing each stage in a stream will suffice.
  • Sonic Unleashed: We have three versions to worry about here. The mobile version can be done without, but we'll need to think of a way to stream most of the other two without taking too long.
  • Sonic Colors Wii: A playthough of Egg Shuttle followed by some Game Land shenanigans would be fine. Egg Shuttle takes about an hour, while Game Land will depend on how many people are playing.
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series: I think the Wii versions will be more than enough. If time becomes a factor, the Dream Events are the main attraction.
  • Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing: The 360/PS3 version will suffice here. Racing all 24 tracks plus the DLC track shouldn't take long. Netplay would work well here. In the interest of maximum entertainment via showing full courses, I'd like to avoid the glitch that allows for ten-second laps.
  • Sonic Generations 360/PS3/Steam: We wouldn't need to broadcast every challenge, but otherwise this is easy to stream.
  • Sonic Retro contribution: These guys could stream various high-profile hacks. If Dude's Sonic Adventure mod could be streamed, that would be awesome.
  • NiGHTSIntoDreams.com contribution: A stream of every level in NiGHTS, some of the special features of Christmas NiGHTS (one of them being the Sonic level), and the Chase Missions in NiGHTS - Journey of Dreams would do.
  • Puyo Nexus contribution: In lieu of a Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine stream, I'd love to get an amateur tourney going using the Puyo Puyo VS fan game with netplay. The game has a spectator mode from which we could stream the matches. Perhaps the winner of said tourney could be pit against some of the skilled players from Puyo Nexus.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:07:57 pm by Thorn »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »
I'LL DO SONIC06, I'M GREAT AT THAT GAME.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:59:17 pm »
I could do Shadow and ASR.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:43:05 am by Groudon »

Offline flying fox

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:59:41 pm »
Why wasn't Sonic and the Black Knight mentioned? I can easily do this one since I'm currently planning a speed run for it for SDA and beating the speed run that is on youtube atm >_>

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »
@flying fox: This was listed within Sonic Storybook Series, but I've edited the post and spelled it out to be clearer.

@ Groudon: I can do All Stars Racing too. We can support up to six more people this way (we have the 360 version, for anybody else reading; if a bigger crowd appears on the PS3 version, they can do it instead). Also, I'm editing in that we should avoid the glitch that allows ten-second laps, as it's yet again a case of entertainment versus speed. We're known for speed, but we're trying to entertain to gather donations and skipping most of some courses doesn't really help with that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:22:23 pm by Thorn »

Offline flying fox

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »
Oh sorry I guess that's what I get for speed reading it when I had about a minute till dinner. I think SBK would take about 50 minutes in story mode. I'll know more once I'm done with the plan.

Offline Parax

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »
where's generations :x

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:57 pm »
^ I meant to make that the last one; adding that now. Although Generations is technically in there as a 3DS game.~

Offline flying fox

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »
Oh also I could probably do Sonic 2 GG and -maybe- Chaos.

Offline Parax

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »
heh :P well I'm willing to do Generations, 06, Sonic 4, or Unleashed 360. might be willing to skype as well if i'm getting more comfortable with that sort of thing.

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »
I could do ASR with you and Groudon, Thorn. Also I would also do generations/sa2b/unleashed.

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 05:23:16 pm »
I have Skype, so is there going to be any commentary when The game is showed? I would love to do Sonic Unleashed PS2, but I don't know how to stream games yet. I will love to join but only to watch and comment if there's any commentary on Skype.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »
^ The point of the commentary is to be whenever the stream is going, and that includes during games.

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:41:25 pm »
@Thorn: So this will not be like a BrainScratchComms type of thing? I don't know but I want to join or help with something.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »
Just posting to say that I'm definitely interested and will put my hand up to run games that I know well for the cause. :)

FF offered to co-op S3&K with me, so that would be really fun I think (I'm going to be in England all of next year, for the uninitiated).

Having been involved with the planning of a number of the SDA marathons now (which reminds me, I really should make my post advertising that soon...) I have a number of suggestions regarding how to get the most viewers and donations possible, but this idea isn't yet well formed enough to think about that just yet.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 06:33:11 pm »
Yeah, I'm willing to do Rivals/Rivals 2, Unleashed, Colors, or Generations. However, I'll probably only do Unleashed/Colors if no one else decides to.

Also, why not top if off with a Sonic Generations race? Since, you know. A lot of people are after the love.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline werster

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 07:16:59 pm »
Tails' Skypatrol is not worth showing off it is one of if not the worst and boring piece of crap ever and is also impossible to do without dying. Sonic Labyrinth on the other hand is brilliant and should be showcased to full extent.

If needed and able to set up stream I could certainly push in for a few games, S2, S3K, S2GG, Labrinyth, Tails' Adventure, Chaos, Fighters, Sadv3 and maybe Heroes are all games I could easily learn and run if no one else better puts their hand up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:30:12 pm by werster »

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:07 pm »
I'm willing to do nearly any Game Gear sonic game and possibly a few 3D sonics If needed. (Maybe Sonic CD?)

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »
I could do Sonic Advance and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie.
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Luxray

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 02:19:21 am »
If i can obtain either a better computer capable of DS emulation && a 4 button usb controller || a high definition camera with output/streaming capabilities, I'd be more than willing to help with Rush Adventure and Colours DS. I'm not proficient enough for Rush so I'm going to pass on that.

Also if i somehow obtain a PSP-2000 or later with previously mentioned auxiliary cables so i can stream, I'll also do Rivals 2, and maybe Rivals 1. It'd be nice to have a O button that actually works so i can reach the upper time limits of the levels.

Perhaps the best way to do this (the massive marathon multiplayer games) is to follow the age old prophecies in getting together a TSC Convention?*bricked*
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »
I assume this will be a long way away, but when do you think this will take place?

I'm just wondering because atm I have awful internet, and I'm getting better internet in a week or so. Then I should be able to stream. I'd like to think that several attempts at LPing would make me knowledgable for commentary, meaning it probably wouldn't be boring to watch. I'd be willing to do:

- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - In the list of games at the top of this topic it says a run from one story and show green hill too. Does that mean beat one story, then go play greeh hill? or is that referring to SADX or Heroes? Either way, I'd do a story mode run.

- Sonic Colours Wii - Egg Shuttle run and possible a few Game Land stages, sounds great! I'm not sure what the plan would be exactly for the Game Land stuff, but it doesn't matter, really.

- Blue Sphere - I'm not sure exactly how interested people would be in watching someone play Blue Sphere, but I'd do it. I'm fairly good at it, and I have Mega Collection.

All in all it seems like a great idea, I'm more than willing to contribute! :)

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:50 am »
I think we should add Somari to the list. lolololololol

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 01:25:08 am »
If anything, Shadowjackey should commentate every single stream... Ever.

I will keep pushing for this until it happens.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 02:16:44 am »
I haven't played any of these games since highschool (holy shit that was 8 years ago...I feel old...) but if you guys end up doing this and there's room, and wouldn't mind witnessing a run which I can only assume will be humorous after not having played these games for 8 freaking years, then I wouldn't mind partaking.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
:O!

HI TACO!

IT HAS BEEN FAR TOO LONG.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 03:19:23 am »
Also I nominate Sonicandamy for commentary. I'm being dead serious.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 03:19:43 am »
I wouldn't mind commentating.

I just don't feel comfortable volunteering to run anything until I get the equipment I need.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:56:45 am »
I second Sonicandamy for commentary. Also, I wouldn't mind doing something for Sonic Heroes...MAYBE!
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 01:02:30 am »
SSR is a terrible marathon game because it starts out horribly, horribly slow and boring and never really picks up unless you play for 10+ hours. It is short though.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Print

Hits: 402 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.34 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.