don't click here

What is the new TSC member experience?

Print

Author Topic: What is the new TSC member experience?  (Read 25225 times)

Offline Rolken

What is the new TSC member experience?
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:52:01 pm »
I haven't been a new member here for awhile. What's it like? What's interesting or confusing or annoying or gratifying about the site and the community in general? Inquiring minds would like to know. I need a view from the outside, as they say. Brutal honesty is appreciated.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Seidnerz the Platypus

• Keeper of the ubermastersuperhyperultraroflcopter emerald
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp msie7
  • YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What is the new TSC member experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »
It's good. Everyone here's really nice. My only problem was that at first the user interface really confused me because I didn't know you could click on the headings on the left side of the page. For example I would try clicking on things under the forums heading trying to get to the forums before I realized you could click on the heading itself. I hope that made sense.
Shadow: I killed the biolizard. Now I truly am the ultimate life form
Chuck Norris: Not quite yet...

Offline Alondite

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
Aw did my epic post get deleted or something? :(

Offline Rolken

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:18:26 am »
It's good. Everyone here's really nice. My only problem was that at first the user interface really confused me because I didn't know you could click on the headings on the left side of the page. For example I would try clicking on things under the forums heading trying to get to the forums before I realized you could click on the heading itself. I hope that made sense.
Hmm, OK. Is this a problem for anyone else?

I'm not sure that I can think of a solution other than simply putting another link under the header to the same thing. I thought the flashing and pointer icon would be a sufficient indicator.

Aw did my epic post get deleted or something? :(
Yes, because it would have derailed the topic.

Offline Parax

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:22:47 am »
Hmm, OK. Is this a problem for anyone else?

I had the same issue when I first started visiting TSC, took me a short while to figure out how to get to the rankings. :P I think it's more that it just doesn't occur to you that you can click on that so you don't try to.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:32:53 am »
We could probably put Game List under "Rankings", Member List under "Members" and Forum Home under "Forum". There's already Statistics under "Submissions" so that one's fine. The Media link encompasses everything that's under it so it's fine as well. The Chatroom link can stay as is too cause if people don't realize there's an in-browser chat, the better for them.

I had also considered before that the Champions page is unnecessary and could be merged with the Rankings (game list) page.

Offline Muzozavr

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:58:35 am »
My personal impressions of TSC still stand:

1. awesome
2. unbeatable top stats
3. unbeatable top stats
4. unmatchable top stats
5. unmatchable top stats

Points 2-5 are because I suck at Sonic in general. :D
Proud to discover a new glitch on Sandopolis 1 as Tails

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:59:23 pm »
You *might* just want to put Media above Submissions - I came to this site primarily for the maps and videos, but having "Videos" under both "Submissions" and "Media" threw me a bit at first.  Also, "Competition Rules" really should go under "Submissions" as well.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Luxray

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 07:44:44 pm »
Well when i first joined up i had everything worked out since i'm such a nerd. But after that i've realised that people don't seem to understand the interface.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Nextgengamer9

• old
  • TSC: 457
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »
I was afraid that people might think I faked my scores.I don't have a way to record and it is really making me nervous.I feel like I might get banned because I can't prove my scores.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 06:15:38 pm »
Well I have heard a lot of comments to that effect... not just lately but across the entire lifespan of the site. I think that has to be addressed in some way.

Now there's a couple of things that I think make newcomers think this way:
* The much stricter proof standards of other competition sites
* Calling BS on the average user with a couple of false stats
* The lack of obviousness of the competition rules
among others.

The first one is not really something we can do anything about, but 2 and 3 are. Just food for thought. I'd think about it a bit more myself but I have to go to work :(

<3 Thorn.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:44:01 pm »
I'm glad I ended up joining TSC. Though I'm still too new to really know any of you, you all seem like really cool people. :>
On the gaming front, I really dig submitting stats, since I probably wouldn't keep track of them outside of the games, haha.

I do feel lots of intimidation, though. Not so much to be supergood, but to prove yourself. Like 457 said, I also have no way of recording or proving my times, so I'm pretty dang apprehesive about submitting something decent and having it called out. I mean, what teenager doesn't have, at least, a camera? The answer is me. I would gladly gladly /picture or /record times if I had the means, otherwise. I swear to god they're genuine, I love the thrill of the honest competition. :'(

But yeah! I totally understand your reasons, 'cause they're valid, for calling people out. Just scared I would be and don't have a way to defend myself. Other'n that, it's a nice atmosphere here. S'all good; neighbourhood. 

Offline Donna

• Sonic Deconstructionist
  • TSC: donnashowl
  • winxp chrome
  • Don't give me hOPs unless I earned them!
    • View Profile
    • Donna's Blog - Found the Computer Room
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:42:59 am »
I might be a little tool oldbie here for this thread, but I only joined in December, so... idk.

I have to agree with all the other n00bs about the looming concerns about proof. I only have a shitty webcam, so proving anything would be hard. After reviewing the quality of someo f my webcam record runs on Lethal HIghway, I've decided not to go for any records until I can get something better. :(

I also find the way suck/noob/etc is thrown around so easily a little jarring, but I  may just have thin skin.
-Donna, the crazy English major
I don't want your stinking hops!

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:46 pm »
I'm not exactly brand new here, but for this I guess new enough. I also had the problem of how to get to rankings, cause I didn't know you could click on the headers.  Although being called BS on isn't really a problem of mine.. (my stats are way too crappy to be called fake), I guess it is a little intimidating to come here among many Sonic champs.

All in all I'm glad to have joined TSC, cause you guys seem cool and submitting stats is a fun way to have competition.
SonicKnuckles is currently playing SA2. Started a new game and only 28 more emblems to go......

Offline Rolken

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 06:03:19 pm »
You *might* just want to put Media above Submissions - I came to this site primarily for the maps and videos, but having "Videos" under both "Submissions" and "Media" threw me a bit at first.  Also, "Competition Rules" really should go under "Submissions" as well.
The emphasis of the site is on competition, and that's what I want to encourage. My understanding is that most people who are coming for the media are finding the maps or videos through Google, so the menu ordering isn't as much of a concern for them.

I agree with the rules ordering though, so I moved it.

I might be a little tool oldbie here for this thread, but I only joined in December, so... idk.
I am not necessarily looking for new posters so much as recollections of what it was like to be new. The interface hasn't changed that much over the years (though perhaps the community has).

Offline Luxray

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »
Well i think there needs to be an FAQ link or similar on the front page.

Also Stardust (as epic as it is) and Chaos Angel are getting a bit old. Perhaps you could make a skin from a new gen sonic so that it appeals to the newer generation of gamers?
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Stefan

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »
Use the mario skin. :D

Offline Terry_Tibbs

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 07:18:40 pm »
This was the first sonic site i joined and i found everything i wanted to on this site with ease and it was an instant hit. I also remember thinkin how the stats charts were such a cool idea for a number of reasons.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 02:27:31 am »
Use the mario skin. :D

Mario Skin got old REALLY quick
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Rolken

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 06:02:46 pm »
Well i think there needs to be an FAQ link or similar on the front page.

Also Stardust (as epic as it is) and Chaos Angel are getting a bit old. Perhaps you could make a skin from a new gen sonic so that it appeals to the newer generation of gamers?
3D games don't work for skins (unless you know of a way to get the textures?) and DS emulation is a joke, so that's not really an option.

Offline Antronach

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:26:17 am »
I remember mine. Was a n00bish newbie though. :/ It's was basically low posting activity while I posted stats. Then it flip-flops and I post more but submit less.

Yep that pretty much covers it.

Oh yeah, and you get more complaints for your stats.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:53:12 pm by Chao_Fan »
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

Offline HolyGGirl

• TSC: HolyG
  • winvista safari
  • got Jesus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:42:50 pm »
kinda tricky getting used to things. 'thought you could play online w/ people here; didn't realize it was for stats and chat only.

toughest thing seems to be the lingo. nothing else is different.
I appreciate knowing who was banned. ......

I do have difficulty sending personal messages to people though. Can u help with that?

Thank you! :D
Lol...SMILE!!! yay! finally in the green for Rush! :D

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
Hallo! Ive just joined and I love the site, great atmosphere and I love the idea of the rankings. I think more people should join, even if they are n00bs (like me!). Its also cool that you can submit media, and that TSC has a youtube channel! It would be awesome if everyone could be honest about their times, and then no proof would be needed and n one would get banned and annoyed. I dont know much about this site, as I only just joined, but it looks pretty cool and Im glad that this organization was formed- great for all fans, from n00bs to n3rds!!
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Print

Hits: 135 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.