don't click here

Sonic Drift in PAL = no?

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Drift in PAL = no?  (Read 8020 times)

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Sonic Drift in PAL = no?
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »
Hallo! I own a copy of Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2 PAL) and I love playing Sonic Drift. I'm not bad at the game myself and I would love to compete, but when I checked the competition rules it turns out you can't play a PAL version of the game. I was just curious as to why not. Explanation?
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Drift in PAL = no?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:44:27 pm »
The rules are saying that you can't consciously switch a ROM of the game over to PAL settings in an emulator, as it changes the speed of the in-game timer. To the best of my knowledge, official releases are allowed in all cases except Sonic Genesis (which changes the physics of the game), Sonic Jam (which has conditions on it), Sonic & Knuckles Collection (also conditioned), and Sonic CD's 2011 release (which we'll add rules for when it releases outside of GameStop's tablets).

tl;dr you can submit unless somebody corrects me.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »
Yaay! I can now submit! (I mean, after all, 'you will submit', right guys?)
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 03:55:30 pm »
How come this topic's been read 11 times already and I only created it about 20 minutes ago?!

Offline DATBOI | War Anvil

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »
I agree with Thorn.  I'd much rather have separate charts for the 2011 remake of SCD.
Hoo~!

Offline Luxray

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:35 am »
The rules are saying that you can't consciously switch a ROM of the game over to PAL settings in an emulator, as it changes the speed of the in-game timer. To the best of my knowledge, official releases are allowed in all cases except Sonic Genesis (which changes the physics of the game), Sonic Jam (which has conditions on it), Sonic & Knuckles Collection (also conditioned), and Sonic CD's 2011 release (which we'll add rules for when it releases outside of GameStop's tablets).

It is a case of replicating what is possible on console. Games that only came out through NTSC/60Hz cannot use a PAL/50Hz setting on an emulator, and vice versa (although the vice versa would be stupid for speedrunning >_>) simply because it isn't possible through actual carts/consoles.

The best way to know if it's illegal, is to time yourself in real time, and compare it with the ingame timer. Do it on a long level (Scrap Brain - Red) for best results. If you get a difference of more than a second, then you shouldn't submit.

Also i've heard no discussion on CD'11 yet. Why won't it be allowed? The engine is exactly the same isn't it?
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »
^ No, the engine was written by Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead, a member of the fangaming community (see Sonic Nexus) and a Tech Member at Sonic Retro. The 2011 version also allows things such as Sonic 2 spin dash and Tails in levels.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Luxray

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:40 pm »
^Oh so it's actual Sonic 2's spindash. I thought it was just a visual effect. So are there going to be new charts, or are we just going to skip over this remake/port?
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline DATBOI | War Anvil

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »
^Oh so it's actual Sonic 2's spindash. I thought it was just a visual effect. So are there going to be new charts, or are we just going to skip over this remake/port?

Someone, quick!  Get separate charts for Sonic CD XBLA!
Hoo~!

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:56 pm »

Someone, quick!  Get separate charts for Sonic CD XBLA!

Can we at least wait for the game to get released first?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:58:56 pm »
Sonic 2 SD in my SCD?

HELLS YEAH!
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Print

Hits: 467 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.