don't click here

Blue Chaos Emerald Challenge

Print

Author Topic: Blue Chaos Emerald Challenge  (Read 33887 times)

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Blue Chaos Emerald Challenge
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »
No, I didn't give you a forward announcement.
No, I didn't start with green this time.
No, this challenge isn't as easy as my usual chaoses, but it's still easy by TSC standards.

This season, things are changing. Every challenge I offer to you will be brand new. No recycles.
To those of you who are new to Sonic gameplay, you've come to the right place. This set of challenges is designed to get you accustomed to the standards of difficulty at TSC. This means I'll be breaching an old rule of mine: glitches will be allowed at your disposal, and sometimes they'll be outright necessary!

I have a new assistant on staff: Flying Fox. She and I will be here consistently to award your emeralds. However, I will only keep one challenge color open each week. So, you'll have to make the cut and earn the emerald before I release the next challenge. This should help to cut down on our workload.

If you have any questions, post them on the Emerald Challenge forum, and we'll get it answered ASAP.

Make sure you read the Emerald Challenge Ground Rules before you submit.

Enough blabber already... let's get to the challenge!

I'm changing the color order up to keep things fresh. That, and I accidentally started with the concept design using blue instead of green. So we're starting with blue until I get Green composed. Complaints for that can go to Thorn.

For those of you who don't know: Blue's theme, Calmness, is designed for keeping our competitors calm under pressure. It "usually" takes them underwater for that reason. Once again this is no exception. I've taken what would otherwise be a challenge worthy of being a 2006 "Master Emerald", but included a clause that you will easily understand and take advantage of if you take enough time to think about it. Have fun, and good luck!

Blue Chaos Emerald Challenge: In Sonic the Hedgehog, complete all of Labyrinth Zone in a single recording, without breathing an air bubble. You may die up to two times in your run. A third death makes the run invalid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:02:15 am by SpinDashMaster »

Offline werster

Re: Blue Chaos Emerald Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »
Emerald challenges! Ya'll get psyched, ya hear!

Oh wait never mind its labyrinth. LAB 3 IS A FUCKING FUCK SHIT!!!

for the initials.

<Great job. Added a small snippet in your post so everyone knows what to do in reply. Also lolspikedeath. -SDM>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:45:04 pm by SpinDashMaster »

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »
One death on L3 because I suck. >_> Oh well.

Edit: Er... Didn't see the edit with the initials thing before. What's the limit?

Edit2: werster said it was 3, which makes no sense because it was 5 when these were originally around. :( I guess I'll go with my actual initials then ().

<Impressive route plan! I especially liked your innovation in Labyrinth 3. -SDM>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:53:31 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:23:05 am »
And I'm posting my own run for the sake of displaying the "easy way" for those who don't want to be so stunt like. I'm really liking how there's a lot of different solutions for this run, each being about equal in difficulty.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:48:44 am by Flying Fox »

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:24 am »
Fuck yes I managed to do this without looking at any other runs

It is full of fail, however, just a warning. BUT I COMPLETED THE REQUIREMENTS. Which is pretty good for someone who can't remember the last time he played a Genesis game, methinks.

SEL for the initials, pl0x.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:59:51 pm by SpinDashMaster »
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Sxdark

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »
Well, after 3 times...
Only lose one life in LZ 3(necessary)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:29:01 pm by flying fox »

Offline flying fox

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:24 am »
So glad I finished this run because the end of Lab1 is so funny because Sonic just wouldn't jump properly. Also Lab2 has the zip in it which I only learnt how to do about 5 minutes ago, very easy to do and I only died once. As you can see I haven't played Sonic 1 in ages so don't expect it to be awesome >_>

Initials:

<Congrats, FF! Despite what werster said in chat, I think it's an entertaining run. But, why does no one use that conveyor without pressing the reverse button? -SDM>

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:31:17 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »
Just wanna take a quick second to thank everyone who's participated in the Emerald Challenge series so far. I'm glad there's still a small fanbase left and this thing isn't dead.

I'm remaining strict with deadlines, however, and this thread will -lock- on May 19th at 11:59 PM, so best to earn this emerald while you can before then.

Here's a preview for what's in store for next week's DUAL RELEASE:
One challenge will be the shortest ever, where strong reflexes are the only answer to your problems.
The other will be more lax in one sense, while being entirely annoying in another. Overlooking things will cost you.

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
Could I record a run using Sonic Mega Collection?
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »
A few things, S&I:

1) No. You'd know this answer if you read above: "Make sure you read the Emerald Challenge Ground Rules before you submit."

2) Please don't use this thread for anything except discussion of the challenge itself or speculation of the next challenges. The parent forum right above this should be open to posting.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:13 pm »
bah, stupid

<hehehe.... /me run - SDM>

>___>
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:04:23 am by Shadow Jacky »
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:53 am »
Am I the only one who cannot watch the videos because I don't know how to play .giz files? Somebody plz help :-(

Offline flying fox

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:20 am »
Am I the only one who cannot watch the videos because I don't know how to play .giz files? Somebody plz help :-(

Go to File, play input movie, find the giz where you saved it to on your computer and then click open.
That's how you play giz files :o

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
REV 01

""

<I admire and appreciate your perseverence, Groudon. This was an extremely difficult challenge for you, and you pulled through with a video that displays a careful and cool run which, in those aspects, surpasses everyone else's run thus far. Well done. -SDM>
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:18:47 pm by SpinDashMaster »

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:42:29 am »

Go to File, play input movie, find the giz where you saved it to on your computer and then click open.
That's how you play giz files :o
OK, there's just one problem: I don't have the option ,,Play Input Movie" on my GENS.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:55:02 am »
Oh my jesus...

Quote from: SDM
2) Please don't use this thread for anything except discussion of the challenge itself or speculation of the next challenges. The parent forum right above this should be open to posting.

If you need help, post in the parent forum above this one. You need Gens Plus to play or record .giz files, but you'd know that if you read this line:

Quote from: SDM
Make sure you read the Emerald Challenge Ground Rules before you submit.

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 01:56:42 am »
can you believe this took me two whole tries! >:O.

I guess I'll use the initials:

<Well done :D - FF>
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:28:11 pm by flying fox »

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:13 am »
OK, NOW I know how it works...
Anyway, I REALLY failed at L2, but I did it :-)
Initials:

<That death on L2 sucked, it looked like you were close to getting air then. Anway here's your emerald :D - FF>
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:26:19 pm by flying fox »

Offline Muzozavr

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 07:27:40 am »
Well, here's mine. One death on LZ2 because I suck and missed the zip. One death necessary on LZ3. I almost ballsed up on the boss but managed to save my sorry butt with a few well-timed jumps.

Run full of fail, but satisfies the requirements. I really wish I wouldn't screw up that badly on the LZ2 zip, but oh well.

Initials: (yes I know it isn't derived from my nickname, shut up, that's what I want)

If anyone can either pull of a deathless LZ3 or a zipless LZ2 it would be awesome to see. If someone can do both in one recording, even better.

<I liked it when you got hit by that burrowbot and fell backwards onto the switch. Awesome move there :D - FF>

<That was an accident, though a fun one. It's like "AAAAH I'M SCRE-ohwait, no, thanks, burrobot. Also: "TEI"? Did I really type TEI? I meant KEI. -Muzozavr>

EDIT: I forgot. REV01 ROM. And let me pray it doesn't desync because Realtek HD's microphone boost makes the sound emulation... effed up, basically. I fear it turns on PAL sound in NTSC mode making it all screwed-up and low-pitched. Let's hope that doesn't desync the movie.

EDIT 2: I have to also say it's funnily appropriate for a calmness challenge that my effed-up sound makes the drowning song sound absolutely demonic and relentless. (as if it wasn't...)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:53:50 pm by Muzozavr »
Proud to discover a new glitch on Sandopolis 1 as Tails

Offline Zorkiy

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 11:42:40 am »
Yay. I screwed up the boss, but I've got zipless LZ2. That was fun. :)
Initials -

<Labyrinth 2 was niiice, enjoyed that stuff. werster~>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:50:12 am by werster »

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:58 pm »
I got it now! I still fail at doing the zip in act 2. This feels so easy now. Wow I got two chaos emerald challenges done in one day.

<verified by werster but did the emerald for him since his fireworks wouldn't open. Well done - FF>
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:50:34 am by flying fox »
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Rusty Rom

• Diamond Smasher
  • TSC Profile
  • android chrome
  • Pro Brasilia fiant eximia
    • View Profile
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »
All the runs I'll submit were recorded yesterday. Here's the link for the blue challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26F7G0668rk

Initials:

<That was really fun to watch :) werster~>
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:30:40 am by werster »

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »
I hate you Will

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:36:26 pm by flying fox »

Print

Hits: 685 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.