don't click here

Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game  (Read 146464 times)

Offline DBG

Re: Sonic Generations - The Next Sonic Game
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »
Is it the camera, or me, or does sonic look really different in that video? ALmost a different model.

I would say it's the camera.
You can't beat me! I AM DABESTGAMER!!!
www.youtube.com/user/dabestgamer

Offline Anon7906

« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2011, 01:52:33 am »
Another uneventful day of speedrunning the modern demo.  Was at it for three hours today.  I couldn't really pull off anything of worth, but I found some new stuff.  You guys can test these out if you like.

- Before the first loop, it seems faster to drift tightly on the right wall instead of the left.  Use the D-pad instead of the control stick to drift as tightly as possible.  I say this because the camera has a bit more trouble following Sonic through the loop unlike if you drifted on the left where the camera seems more normal as you go through the loop.  Also, once I get the game one of the first things I'm doing after I take care of my Youtube channel is seeing what walls can be drifted against in every Modern Sonic level and the correct angle for each.  Although I expect other people to take it apart before me.

- This is already known, but mashing the slide button (O in my case, I'm guessing B for Sexbox people) to make Sonic slide before he touches the checkpoint after the loop makes him go fast as hell if you get him to slide at the right time.  What I've noticed is that most people like to short hop, land on the platform after the checkpoint, and then slide.  Landing on the platform makes Sonic slow down noticeably.  I thinks it's faster to time a high-short hop as the platform is coming up (I do this once Sonic gets near the rosebush/red flower type thingies at the beginning of the down-slope of the final hump before the platform).  This will carry Sonic across more than half of the platform before he lands.  Before he does actually land on the platform, aerial boost then quickly jump into the red dash ring.  This seems faster imo.

- Most people seem to know about landing early in the cave, but kinda fail at clearing the whole gap before the trick ramp.  Hold the D-pad forward instead of the control stick before jump after that dash panel.  It helps.  Not touching that rail at all gives you a modest time improvement. 

- Near the start of the level, you know that first rail after the dash ring?  You know how aerial boosting right before you land on it makes you go faster than normal?  The same works for the rails in the cave.  If you short hop over the dash panels and time an aerial boost just right on one of the rails then Sonic goes faster than normal while still boosting.  It's extremely difficult to do imo.  If you do pull it off, make sure to avoid all of the rail dash panels in the cave that's possible.  Some dude on Youtube was the first to bring this to light I think.  Forgot his username.  Those rail tricks are important because they seem to cut like two or three seconds off your time if done properly.  Most of my three hours of playing the game today was spent in that cave.  Still haven't cracked it yet.  I only did it once, ONCE.  D:  Would be interesting to see if the rail glitch is applicable in other levels once the full game drops next Tuesday.

- Some Japanese dude on Youtube exposed some Unleashed type exploits with the slide during the Mobius strip on the latter-half of the level.  Seems like sliding after that first dash panel is faster.  Upon watching his vid, that and also ending his trick on the last trick ramp earlier + skipping the very last set of dash panels was the only thing he did differently from what I did to get my record of 1:41.23 Saturday morning.  He beat that by nearly a second without even doing the rail glitch in the tunnel.  That means that high to mid 1:39 is most defiantly possible.  ._. 

- Near the end of the level, it's also possible to drift along the right wall as well.  Drifting angle for it is diagonal right up, closer to up than right.  I'm not sure if it's faster than drifting on the left.  Doesn't seem to be, but you never know.   

Low 1:40 or high 1:39 is what I'm aiming for, but I expect you masters here to do better than me xD.  If I don't get that by Wednesday then I'm quitting messing with this demo.  I got nothing to do tomorrow after my classes and I have no classes on Tuesday so I'm going all in.  Speedrunning this demo reminds me of this chick I was trying to fuck in high school a couple years ago.  She was infuriating and made me so mad at her that I wanted to punch her dumb ass, but when I finally got some ass it felt good as fuck.  I eventually dropped her ass cause the pussy wasn't worth it though.     

Some other cool stuff I noticed: 

- If you stop in place (I use a stomp to cancel momentum) then drift backwards, Sonic will drift in the opposite direction than he was facing in doing a complete instant 180.  Could be useful if later level design calls for it I guess.

- Near the end of Modern Green Hill, taking the top route instead of stomping through the bridge would be faster if Sonic didn't slow down while attempting to drift out of the loop.  >.> 

- Sonic goes off trick ramp or through trick ring.  Time spent in the air is proportional to how early you finish your trick.  This is just a theory.  I'm basing this off of the trick ring exiting the cave.  Sonic just seems to land quicker if you trick then finish earlier.  I can't really tell. 

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:39 pm »
Snagged the demo, highly restricted in everything (when you can jump, when you can SD, when you can boost) and generally not showing any care for actually maintaining speed.  I didn't expect gold, SEGA, but when you shit in a bag and write "Gold" on the front in a pretty font you're not exactly going to hear cheers from me.

Colours seems to be a lone win, thus far... maybe the full version won't be made of shit, but this gives me no hope and I've since canceled my pre-order.

But hey, that means more money for my video card for PSO2... obviously SEGA took all the good out of STeam and put them to work in PSO-land~
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2011, 11:55:48 am »
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDoodleSlap

this guy sucks pretty bad but he has walkthroughs of the game.. chemical plant full stage and metal sonic boss fight.. the remix song is pretty tight

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2011, 07:46:43 am »

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:28 am »
http://blogs.sega.com/2011/11/02/speed-your-way-through-green-hill-for-a-chance-to-win/

SEGA are doing a Speedrunning competition of Green Hill. Anyone over 13 can enter, and i'm not sure what the prize is yet, but all of you guys seem capable of beating the 1:50 mark so I suppose you can all enter. It's interesting too see how good others around the world at this.

Print

Hits: 1,040 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.