don't click here

ITT TSC plays Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!

Print

Author Topic: ITT TSC plays Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!  (Read 16204 times)

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
ITT TSC plays Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:00 am »
so wings and PsyM and myself have been playing this game, and it's pretty awesome, so i thought we should all share our best strats and runs.

my current best is a Troll Monk @ 2969 points, which was eating everything I found after clawing them to peices...
second best was a Halfling Hunter @ about 1600, who got a couple lucky resist-drops early on, and wound up cornered by orcs after a teleport trap.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline PsyMar

• Really going to play Sonic again. Someday.
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: ITT TSC plays Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:54:03 am »
Here's a link to my best character so far (Minotaur Berserker, 3270 points):
Character Log

I'm particularly proud of this bit:
  1602 | D:2     | Noticed Jessica
  1603 | D:2     | Noticed Sigmund
  1617 | D:2     | Defeated Sigmund
  1617 | D:2     | Reached XP level 4. HP: 37/37 MP: 1/1
  1621 | D:2     | Defeated Jessica

But yeah, blink frogs == serious business.

Edit: Here's where I'll be keeping running diaries of all my characters.

Edit 2: I have the highest scoring deep dwarf arcane marksman on crawl.akrasiac.org albeit mainly because it hasn't been played by anyone good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:17:08 am by Buizel »
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

"When you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
no new record, but here ya go, guys... an amusing screeny!

EDIT: also I have the record for highest-scoring Troll Arcane Marksman!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:08:04 pm by Aitamen »
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline PsyMar

• TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:42 am »
Just finished game 25 of my dungeon crawling odyssey.  Another MiBE, 2279 points, died on D:6 to a zerg rush of kobolds and big kobolds.  May try a Troll berserker next.

Character morgue file
Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, whadda you do? Walk past it.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »
2351 DDCK, slain by a unique...  it's an interesting run, honestly, and the start is great... if you can survive a deity switch, you have it made, lategame.  I'll post my run somewhere and link it, eventually, maybe

EDIT:
3589 DDCK, new best.  Hella fun run, coulda done a lot to stay alive, got hit for ~25 for my last hit when I ran through a hobgoblin and took two hits from a two-headed orge I ran past (20-20-25 dead)

found that sprawl of Kobold and Big Kobolds... regained a whole lifebar off of them!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:04:43 pm by Aitamen »

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:19:55 am »
I've been crawling for quite a while now, at least a few months. I'm not that good, but I try. Current high score is 1898, on a Sludge Elf Transmuter.

Annoying things:

* Ijyb (the easiest unique encounter in the game) randomly being spawned with a wand of disintegration
* The mere existence of two-headed ogres (they can cast TWO spells every turn, seriously?)
* Blink frogs. (Prince Ribbit himself is a dick.)
* Those little fountains of sparkling water that are always spawned be hind a wall of translucent rock.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »
Personally, Prince Ribbit is the easiest, but it's because he tends to blink away and let me pelt him with stuff as he re-approaches (like phantoms).

anyway, been playing a Sludge Elf Transmuter, and it's actually a lot of fun... I hate the deaths that happen because things spawn next to me, though...

Offline Telnaior

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:02:42 am »
So I joined the party (I'm a sucker for roguelikes), and so far I've managed a 414 score TrDK. Not too good, but I'm working on it...

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »
I think TrMo is the best combo for trolls, as the initial improvement to their UC is highest.  Also, since Trolls can't wear most armor due to body size/mutation it means that the fact that CK and DK can wear armor is negated, so they're really little better than necromancers.

Offline PsyMar

• TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »
Had a moment of awesome in my DDNe game yesterday.  Found an island with a kiku altar and a bunch of demons, surrounded by lava so the demons couldn't escape.  Zapped a wand of confusion a few times at an orange demon and it fell into the lava, giving me 414 exp (which is a bonanza by D:5 standards.)

Currently working on the Lair (same game), entrance to which was at D:12 (lowest I've gotten).  I'm also XL12, which is my highest.  And this is only my second DDNe game, and my first since learning the trick that Pain doesn't deal splashback damage to DDs (due to their damage reduction feature).  

Oh, and I cleared a labyrinth.  Mephitic cloud + decent attack spells = dead minotaur fairly easily.  Seriously, I didn't expect him to be that easy.  And I got a couple randarts out of it.

So my old high score is 4003, my new one will be over 16k.

Long story short:
Go play a Deep Dwarf Necromancer.  Cast pain on things until you're level 3 (it doesn't do splashback to Deep Dwarves), then learn vampiric draining and use that whenever you're well below max HP and an enemy is adjacent.  You will *annihilate* your old high score.

Edit:  I finally died.  Thought I was going to win that one, which is always a fatal mistake.
Morgue file showing how awesome I was

Still, 49831 points.  I think that puts me in the lead on the TSC leaderboards, and it's good for 511th on the CAO leaderboard (I prefer to think of it as 0x1FFth).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:32:49 am by PsyMar »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »
DDNe is hella powerful, but I can't be bothered to screw with magic, honestly, so I gave up...  just topped my best with a HaHu, sitting at 29k on the dot.  Died a stupid panic death.  Also, I found out that amulets of poisoning let you eat poisoned corpses.

I certainly understand why DD is so high in ranking, though.

going to put shittons more time into it shortly, and see what happens

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:19:04 pm »
Been playing this for a few days now; I blame you all for distracting me from my CotW Expert Only run >:O

Been playing as a DrPr and am on my fifth game.

Lost my first one to Sigmund. The lessons I learned from this game were "don't melee stuff" and "keep your distance."
Lost my second one to some gnolls. Lesson learned: "Don't get trapped in nets."
Lost my third one to a kobold (LOL). Lesson learned: "Cursed weapons suck, especially when they're worse than -1."
Lost my fourth one to an ogre. Lesson learned: "Ogres do a lot of damage. Don't let them get next to you."

My current character is doing fairly well so far; it's the first one to have reached level 7 and change colour, this one to Pale (grey) so it can breathe steam, which has been a real lifesaver since I've gotten it, since it obscures vision and deals lasting damage (so even a miss does a little bit of damage), not to mention that it's hard to resist (and that I take no damage from it). Its food consumption had regulated its usage before, but now I have an artifact amulet of the gourmand so it has become somewhat less of an issue, though I still have problems at times due to the fact that I'm worshiping Zin, who doesn't like me eating the flesh of "intelligent" creatures. And no I'm not switching gods, ok. As I've told PsyMar several times in chat: "Axioms of Law! >_>" Besides that, I have had 17 honeycombs that I got from raiding a bee's nest with 40 bees (though it took quite a while to kill them all).

So anyway, I've gone down twelve fourteen seventeen twenty-two levels in the main dungeon, and am currently trying to think about where I should get two other runes to complete the game.

Also I would like to note that going through The Swamp without poison resistance sucks. I highly recommend against doing it. You will waste a ton of resources.

Also, if I did the score calculation correctly, I should have over NINE THOUSAND 50,000 80,000 140,000 points currently~

Also attached pic is lol (see item k).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:16:22 am by Buizel »
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:01 am »
haven't been playing much recently, but I read all the log files just now and I have to comment on the death of your first one:

Message History

Sigmund points at you and mumbles some strange words.
The magic dart hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You hit Sigmund.
Sigmund is moderately wounded.
Sigmund screams, "Die, monster!"
Sigmund hits you with a runed scythe!

"You don't belong in this world!" was the next thing he yelled, I swear it

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:14:37 am »
Kind of stopped playing my Pale Draconian character (also I was playing on version 0.5.2) in favour of a Purple Draconian character (now on version 0.6.0!). Made a really dumb mistake when I decided not to eat, trying to be conservative with my food, and died of starvation... :/ I had not taken into account that I was encumbered; was going to my stash on D:12 and was hoping I'd faint from lack of food before starving to death but that didn't happen. I even had a Book of Annihilations that I had found on D:7...

Oh well, I had made mistakes in that game anyway. I had such a rough time trying to damage anything, so in a sense I'm almost glad I have to start over. It didn't help that the deeper Lair levels seemed to each have at least one unique in them (Lair:7 had three, even...who was that Maud person anyway?).

Mistakes include but are not limited to: Not choosing the fire magic book at the beginning, not becoming a follower of Sif Muna as soon as I was able to, and general poor choice of spells learned. As I said, it was so hard trying to do any damage until I was able to learn Poison Arrow, which helped immensely. Sadly, I was not able to enjoy it for long...

morgue file

Perhaps the biggest drawback from this is that my new purple draconian has the misfortune of having the other one's ghost haunting D:12. I was at XP 11 when I first encountered it; its bolts of draining quickly dashed my hopes of defeating it as my HP dipped into the red and my XP level went down to 10. As such, I'm cut off from the upper levels of the dungeon, at least for now.

I've completed the Lair and the Hive and did two levels of the Swamp before meeting up with Mara, who proved to be too much for me to handle, what with his illusions and misleading and all. Also swamp drakes. So for now I've just gone down the main dungeon, and am currently finished with D:21. Hoping to learn Fire Storm soon; finally got the success rate for it up from Useless to Terrible!

My selection of spells is much better this time around:
- Sublimation of Blood is just pure awesome since it lets me recover MP quickly and I don't have to keep using the Channel Energy ability.
- Sting is great for a level 1 spell since it poisons, I usually use this instead of Magic Dart, unless I really need Magic Dart's accuracy.
- Mephitic Cloud is amazing against enemies not resistant to poison; this spell is excellent at giving me a little breathing room when I get surrounded.
- Conjure Flame stops some enemies from chasing me down corridors, allowing me to quickly and safely kill them; those that the spell doesn't stop will at least take damage crossing it.
- Sticky Flame is great for poison resistant enemies. I usually use both it and Sting for excellent damage over time.
- Throw Flame is the spell I usually use once my enemies are burning and poisoned. I also use this to train Fire Magic since it's my cheapest Fire Magic spell.
- Poison Arrow helps me put dents in enemies with both fire and poison resistance (like dragons), not to mention it poisons regardless of resistance (except for the undead).
- Resist Poison for when I need rPois. The only equipment I have that grants rPois is my staff of poison, and I'd rather have my staff of fire equipped for maximum damage with my fire magic.
- Regeneration helps get my health up quickly. I can also use it to counter the HP loss incurred when I use Sublimation of Blood when I don't have a chunk to use it on.
- Blink I rarely use anymore, but it's saved me time and time again, mostly in the early game.
- Throw Icicle is for those with cold vulnerabilities (like dragons). I don't really use this that often; I don't even have Ice Magic at level 1 yet.
- My other spells are Magic Dart, Summon Small Mammals and Poison Weapon. I rarely use these; in fact I don't think I've ever used Poison Weapon--the only reason I learned it was because I wanted to have a spell to train Enchantments, but Regeneration and Resist Poison typically fill that role now.

Basically, I only use magic now; it's very rare that I use my weapons, or even my wands. Also, if I did the scoring calculations correctly I should be up to 130,000 points in this game! Current progress file is here.

EDIT: And...died. Was on D:23 and happened across Frederick. Tried confusing him but he had drunk a potion of speed and quickly kept recovering from it. I really should've used my own potion of speed, but I didn't think he'd hit so hard (notice the killing blow dealt 54 damage). I had just reached level 17, too. Oh well...142,165 points! Pretty sure that beats everything else here. The worst part, I think, is that since I didn't destroy the previous ghost back at D:12, it's going to be there for my next unfortunate character...and now there's another one on D:23...hopefully my next character will be strong enough by then to destroy them!

morgue file

Guess I should finish up my pale draconian game, now...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:01:00 pm by Buizel »
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »
Bwaha...  an epic triumph of luck and persistence, as finally I have bested DCSS!

With unbelievably awesome gear and luck, my DDCK coming through the entire dungeon with no help from me whatsoever...  not the best game in the world, pretty much a "oh god don't let me die" run to the bottom and back, with a disgusting amount of artifacts found along the way, and only one cursed item (granted, it did almost end it, being a scroll of blow-shit-up, but it killed the other threats and left me at 7hp, so I healed up because there was nothing in range and continued to run along)

final score of 1,277,666.

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 04:51:15 am »
So, in an effort to generate some interest in this game (besides the usual crew), I'm reviving this topic. It's not like the forums have been particularly busy lately.

Since 2010 the game has changed quite a bit. 0.8 added the Felid race and made heavy armour decent again, 0.9 removed that silly Exp. Pool system so you have much better control over which skills you're training, and 0.10 added the Octopode race (while removing Mountain Dwarf as a playable race) and made several balance changes.

For those of you turned off by rougelike "graphics" there is a Tiles version that has...well, actual graphics and also mouse input which makes it so much easier for people to play (as far as the controls and interface goes; the game itself isn't exactly "easy").

Also, since this wasn't exactly done previously...links!
WebTiles lets you play the Tiles version (after registering) and also lets you watch others play as well (no account needed to watch).
Otherwise, if you'd rather play offline, you can go here to download the installer file.

And, since previous posts were about posting progress, I won my first game yesterday with 6 runes with 2177999 points; I was going for a 3-rune win but then I thought I should do Vaults as well...then I got banished to the Abyss and found the abyssal rune...then I wanted to build up my Transmutations skill to learn Necromutation so I did Tomb...all the while thinking "WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME HURRY UP AND FINISH THE GAME AND NOT DIE AND STUFF." So...in that sense I am sort of disappointed in myself for overachieving. >_>

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
Posting this because I felt like it. >:O

So, after getting various wins (mostly 3-rune), I finally decided to go for an all-rune (that's 15 runes) win. And...well, I did it. I never bothered doing the Hell and Pan levels previously because they always looked so scary, but after learning both fire storm and ice storm in this game I figured "hey, let's blow stuff up." And Hell and Pan ended up not being as scary as I thought; in fact the only time I was ever in danger of dying was when I was clearing a ziggurat (the last few levels of which are often considered to be the hardest areas of the game) when a bunch of deep dwarves on the 26th level got me down to 20 HP (that's from 135 HP the previous turn). Had to blink, heal, and turn invisible to survive that. It was also the only level out of 27 where I didn't kill everything. Oh well...

So yeah, I got 7598138 points. Here is the morgue file.

(Also obligatory come on people, join us and play this game, etc. See the previous post for links.)

Print

Hits: 315 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.