don't click here

2010 AFL Footy Tipping Competition

Print

Author Topic: 2010 AFL Footy Tipping Competition  (Read 4327 times)

Offline oldskoolgamer101

2010 AFL Footy Tipping Competition
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:22:26 am »
After quite possibly the most boring summer of cricket ever witnessed, footy is finally back. It's shaping up to be another huge year with pundits saying that as many as seven sides could be on the dais on the last Saturday in September. So with the season opener just over 24 hours away there isn't much time to get your tips in for round 1!

Here's how it works: Anyone who's interested can just whack their round 1 tips in here between now and Thursday 25th March at 7:40pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (that's GMT +11 for those residing overseas) and I'll add your name to the leaderboard. You can jump in beyond the first week but you'll obviously be at a disadvantage.

RULES
Simple enough, there are 8 matches played per round and one round per week; pick the side that you think will win each match in the current round and highlight your selections in bold like so:

Sydney vs Geelong
St. Kilda vs West Coast
Melbourne vs Fremantle

and so on...

For the game each week involving the team you support, you pick the winning margin as well as the result. For instance, I support the Adelaide Crows who are playing against Fremantle in round 1. So my tip for this match could be as follows:

Collingwood vs Adelaide (19 points)

Remember you can only nominate one team to support and hence predict winning margins for/against, and you stick to this team for the season.

SCORING
For each standard correct prediction you pick up 1 point. If you are lucky/astute enough to tip the closest-to-correct winning margin for your team's game, you will gain 1 bonus point for that round. Picking the exact margin will snag you 4 bonus points. At the end of the season (consisting of 22 rounds) the user with the most total points wins the competition for 2010. In the event of a tie between 2 or more people, the difference between their predicted winning margins and the actual margins for the year will be tallied, and he/she with the lowest tally wins the comp. In the very unlikely event that two or more users are still tied, I'll fill a jar full of turnips and you can guess how many are in there. Closest guess wins, but most importantly there will be turnip soup all round afterwards, and if you fancy yourself as an artist I might spare a well-formed, attractive turnip for you to sketch. Seriously if we get a tie at all someone is taking the piss.

IMPORTANT: You've got to get your tips in before the ball is bounced in the first game that week, otherwise you get slapped with the biggest, fattest zero you've ever seen.

Check the ESPN2 TV guide for your area if you're an American interested in catching a few games!

Go to http://www.footywire.com/ for a list of matches being played each round, along with stats and player and team profiles.

Go to http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx to find live score updates.

Good luck!

LEADERBOARD

Pre-Round 1

1. oldskoolgamer101 - 0
2. Cruizer - 0

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:38:51 am by oldskoolgamer101 »

Offline Luxray

Re: 2010 AFL Footy Tipping Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:42:10 am »
Round 1:

Richmond v Carlton         
Geelong v Essendon
Melbourne v Hawthorn   
Brisbane v West Coast
Sydney v St Kilda   
Port Adelaide v North Melbourne (14 points)         
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood   
Fremantle v Adelaide
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline werster

Re: 2010 AFL Footy Tipping Competition
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:11 am »
Ahh yes footy's back in season. That's what I like to see. Beautiful start for the doggies in the pre season, and I tell you if they keep up the form they had over the Saints in that first quarter, there's no reason why the can't go the whole journey.

Richmond v Carlton (What a crap opener. Richmond I think the lesser of two chimps-in-outfits sides)       
Geelong v Essendon (May as well go an upset first round, and I'm looking forward to see Geelong drop off this year)
Melbourne v Hawthorn (Hahaha, melbourne <_<)
Brisbane v West Coast (For some reason thsi match seems hard to pick and I don't know why...)
Sydney v St Kilda (With less than 100 points scored in the match as always >_>) 
Port Adelaide v North Melbourne (Port seem to always go further than they should, somehow, they must win some games)   
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood (Going against tradition and picking the doggies in a close one. 7 points)
Fremantle v Adelaide (Looking forward to some exciting footy from the young crows this year, they'll vow for a prelim final spot this year)

Print

Hits: 134 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1003.77 KB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.