don't click here

Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Demo

Print

Author Topic: Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Demo  (Read 14659 times)

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Demo
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:46:03 am »
The demo for the game just came out for XBL today. From what I hear it hasn't been released for the PSN. A dashboard theme was released as well.

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/02/08/sonic-sega-all-star-racing-360-demo-theme-out-now/

Thorn EDIT: The DS demo is available via the Nintendo Channel until Feb. 21 if you have a Wii, with the exact same course as the 360 demo yet noticeable physics differences (and sans the end-of-course shortcut). It also features a bangin' Seaside Hill remix that's worth a listen... I'll be disappointed if the console versions don't have different music tracks for courses with the same theme after hearing what they did for the DS version. I'm unsure about DSiWare, but I'd check there if you don't have a Wii for the demo download. The PS3 demo will be released on Feb. 18.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:04:47 am by Thorn »

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic And Sega: All Stars Racing Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:50 am »
XBL can gtfo.
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:48:48 am »
Oh shit, last night I was looking for when this demo was coming out. Moving this topic to the front page; Sonic 4 = controversy and we've had enough of that, so off of the front page it goes :P Opinions to be edited into here later.

EDIT: Opinions! It's tough to judge from one course, really. I can say that everything you'd expect from a mascot racing game is here. The drift handles like Mario Kart Wii's inside-drift karts: hold a drift for a bit to boost, hold longer to boost more (hold past that, though, and it seems like you slow down). With this style of drift and no moves for gaining boosts on straights, there's no way to completely obliterate the CPU players like in Mario Kart (although I'm sure racing game enthusiasts will find some other method of gaining speed to bitch about). Some jumps are automatic, even putting you into a sort of low-gravity mode, while others such as the first jump on the shortcut route -- not a spoiler, it's been in every PS3/360 vid since E3 -- are handled on your end, so you can hit them too fast and overshoot the landing. During jumps, the drift buttons change to trick buttons (also similar to Mario Kart Wii) that give speed boosts upon landing, and you can use them more than once in the air for a more powerful boost. Just be sure to be done tricking before the landing or you sacrifice the entire boost. Besides the All-Star Move for each character, items are reasonable and don't allow you to go from last to first in seconds. You also can get homing missiles in 1st place, a welcome item for when you inevitably get passed, and I've gotten mines to drop behind me in 6th, so the item balance is a bit cleaner than Mario Kart Wii although the tendency to get stronger items when trailing is there.

Am I saying that this is better than Mario Kart Wii? No, because I can't make that call yet. I like what I see, but the demo only has one course, so I don't know if what works here makes the entire game fun. If you've seen Wii gameplay of the Whale Lagoon course, that is in the PS3/360 version with the same layout, but it's locked and only the E3 Seaside Hill course (Lost Palace) is accessible in the PS3/360 demo. All in all, if you like Mario, Crash, or Diddy Kong racing games, expect more of the same, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

EDIT 2: As if to say "fuck you, thinking that the game could be good", the demo just froze on me, leaving the controller vibrating like crazy from the drift boost I'd just gotten. That could be the fault of my Xbox 360 and not the game, but I've certainly raised my eyebrow at it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:24:53 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:40 am »
I was going to say, why was it on the front page.

Anyway I went to download it and was saddened as i forgot that only Gold members can download demos :(

Looks like it'll be a while before I try it out

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »
^ Well, it'll be up in a week for Silver members if it's like most Gold-only downloads. In any case, you'll know if it's even worth the download time judging by reactions around the Internet by that time.~

Then again, trusting the Internet is a bit risky...

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »
A video of the demo as Sonic just in case you don't want to download it yet or can't download it yet (PS3 and Wii users and Silver members).

Offline Parax

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:24 am »

I'll probably be buying this game later, after I get BioShock 2. It seems fun enough. :3

Offline F-Man

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:51 am »
I'll never get over this making Banjo & Kazooie ugly business. What did they do?! Must every good character go through it at one point? *sob*

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »
I'll never get over this making Banjo & Kazooie ugly business. What did they do?! Must every good character go through it at one point? *sob*

Yeah I feel ya. I thought they would have learned the first time....

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »
For anybody who cares, here is the Seaside Hill remix from the DS demo, recorded via a 3.5mm cable from the DS to my PC. Beats listening to it on YouTube, anyway.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:02 am »
Double post for update: The PS3 demo will be released today. Thanks to TimmiT on Retro for the heads up.

Print

Hits: 320 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.