don't click here

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 23371 times)

Offline yoshifan

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:42:56 am »
It's almost out (for most people), so I figured a news post would be good.

Let's try to get this game added fairly soon after release, so that we can start the competition while the game is still new.  We would need a list of levels (and secret exits), and we'd have to determine which ones are autoscrolling.  Then there's the rules on power-ups, which may work differently from NSMB DS.

In the meantime, feel free to post your thoughts, preliminary times, etc. about the game.  Since we could be revealing stuff like secret exits, read with caution if you don't like spoilers.

[EDIT] Miles has provided us a level list in post #2 of this topic.  Also, rules issues are detailed in post #3.  Please discuss!

[EDIT 2] The rankings have been added, have fun!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:20:33 pm by yoshifan »

Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:14:15 am »
LEVEL SPOILERS BELOW

in case you missed the first post's warning.

Level list:

World 1-1
World 1-2
World 1-3
World 1-3 (Secret)
World 1 Fortress
World 1-4
World 1-5
World 1-6
World 1 Castle

World 2-1
World 2-2
World 2-3
World 2 Fortress
World 2-4
World 2-4 (Secret)
World 2-5
World 2-6
World 2-6 (Secret)
World 2 Castle

World 3-1
World 3-2
World 3-3
World 3 Ghost House
World 3 Ghost House (Secret)
World 3 Fortress
World 3-4
World 3-4 (Secret)
World 3-5
World 3-5 (Secret)
World 3 Castle

World 4-1
World 4-2
World 4-3
World 4 Fortress
World 4 Fortress (Secret)
World 4-4
World 4 Ghost House
World 4 Ghost House (Secret)
World 4-5
World 4 Castle
World 4 Airship

World 5-1
World 5-2
World 5-3
World 5 Fortress
World 5-4
World 5 Ghost House
World 5 Ghost House (Secret)
World 5 Castle

World 6-1
World 6-2
World 6-3
World 6-4
World 6 Fortress
World 6-5
World 6-5 (Secret)
World 6-6
World 6-6 (Secret)
World 6 Castle
World 6 Airship

World 7-1
World 7-2
World 7-3
World 7 Fortress
World 7 Fortress (Secret)
World 7 Ghost House
World 7 Ghost House (Secret)
World 7-4
World 7-5
World 7 Castle

World 8-1
World 8-2
World 8-2 (Secret)
World 8-3
World 8 Fortress
World 8-4
World 8-6
World 8-7
World 8 Airship
World 8 Castle

World 9-1
World 9-2
World 9-3
World 9-5
World 9-6
World 9-7

Levels that are left out due to autoscrolling:

World 5-5
World 7-6
World 8-5
World 9-4
World 9-8

World 7 Castle has two entrances, one of which skips straight to the end of the stage; maybe they could be separate charts?

There's also a credits game that keeps track of your best score.

I'm 99.9% percent sure that's everything. If you have any problems, well, that's why this is a forum post and not a PM. >_>
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:03:45 pm by Miles9999 »

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:55:12 pm »
And here are the current rules issues, with minor spoilers.  Please correct me if I've made a mistake about any information, as I haven't yet played the game myself.

(1) We have the standard three choices concerning powerups.  Do we: (a) Allow starting with powerups? (b) Say you have to start each level small? (c) Have separate charts for both ways of playing?

So far the Mario Center precedent has been (b), but compared to most other Mario platformers up to this point, NSMB-Wii is fairly friendly towards starting level speedruns with powerups:
  - Like in SMB3, you have a storage of powerups (including stars), and you can use a powerup on the map screen in order to start the next level with that powerup activated.
  - Unlike SMB3, though, your powerups storage is large (double-digit counts for each kind of powerup), and you can obtain powerups quickly from sources such as Toad houses.
  - If you enter a level with a powerup, and you lose it during the level, you can select 'exit course' from the pause menu and you will gain back your powerup.

(2) As Miles pointed out, there is one level that has two entrances, one of which lets you start a short distance before the boss.  Should we have separate charts, or just one?  If just one, do we allow the before-the-boss entrance?
(There is no precedent for this.  In Super Mario World, we didn't add Front Door and Back Door because the timer disappears at the boss fight.)

(3) Allowed autoscrollers: there are regular levels that autoscroll, and there is at least one fortress/castle level that autoscrolls up until the boss.  We can just use the NSMB-DS precedent of allowing only the autoscroll+boss case, but does anyone think this should be changed?

Offline Cort

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:31 am »
And here are the current rules issues, with minor spoilers.  Please correct me if I've made a mistake about any information, as I haven't yet played the game myself.

(1) We have the standard three choices concerning powerups.  Do we: (a) Allow starting with powerups? (b) Say you have to start each level small? (c) Have separate charts for both ways of playing?

So far the Mario Center precedent has been (b), but compared to most other Mario platformers up to this point, NSMB-Wii is fairly friendly towards starting level speedruns with powerups:
  - Like in SMB3, you have a storage of powerups (including stars), and you can use a powerup on the map screen in order to start the next level with that powerup activated.
  - Unlike SMB3, though, your powerups storage is large (double-digit counts for each kind of powerup), and you can obtain powerups quickly from sources such as Toad houses.
  - If you enter a level with a powerup, and you lose it during the level, you can select 'exit course' from the pause menu and you will gain back your powerup.

(2) As Miles pointed out, there is one level that has two entrances, one of which lets you start a short distance before the boss.  Should we have separate charts, or just one?  If just one, do we allow the before-the-boss entrance?
(There is no precedent for this.  In Super Mario World, we didn't add Front Door and Back Door because the timer disappears at the boss fight.)

(3) Allowed autoscrollers: there are regular levels that autoscroll, and there is at least one fortress/castle level that autoscrolls up until the boss.  We can just use the NSMB-DS precedent of allowing only the autoscroll+boss case, but does anyone think this should be changed?

is that the TSC will have charts (times, score) this game soon? a great game I really enjoyed the videos I've seen. is quite interesting is 4 players on the same stage. sensational. too bad it does not have a Nintendo Wii to play this game! xD

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:22:38 am »

Thinking about it, I'm personally leaning towards (c). There should definitely be power-up charts, considering the game makes them so convenient to use, but small charts may be good since things like the Propeller Suit may break some stages.

I think they should be separate charts. Too bad Nintendo didn't have the hidden entrance start with less time to solve this problem for us. :\

I've always been of the "include everything" opinion, though I seem to be pretty lonely. :(

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:44:52 pm »
I'm going for (c) for the powerups thing, mainly because it's hard to start a level small.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
I'm going for (c) for the powerups thing, mainly because it's hard to start a level small.
1. Go into a stage
2. Die

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
Also, will we have charts for the enemy stages?
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 12:52:04 am »
Cort: yes, charts will be added when we decide on the issues that I mentioned.

ieatatsonic: enemy stage charts would be cool, but unfortunately I don't think the game assigns numbers or names to them, so they would be hard to make charts for.

I'll hold off on my rules opinions for another couple of days, so other people can answer first (and so I can finish playing through the game myself >_>).

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:19:30 am »
Okay... well, here's what I think:

(1) I also go with (c).  I think starting with powerups is more than convenient enough for competition, but at the same time, there should be a place for speed runs that don't start with a Starman all the time.  Hmm, if there's 3 votes for (c) (as I'm adding mine), looks like this is decided fairly comfortably.  Should the two types of charts go in separate divisions (e.g. Times(small), Times(powerups))?

(2) Separate charts; I see the secret entrance as no different from a secret exit whose finish is close to the start (like SMW Star World 1, perhaps).

(3) The more I think about the levels that are borderline autoscrollers (5-4, 6-Airship, 8-7, etc.), the more I suspect that the autoscroller definition is too arbitrary and that all levels should be added.  But until we get to discuss this more, we can compromise with tradition and add everything except the 'purest' autoscrollers: where the screen literally autoscrolls except at the trivial start and end stretches. (Miles has listed these, I believe.)

Is that all well and good?  If so, then I'll see if I can add these charts very soon (possibly tomorrow).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:28:23 am by yoshifan »

Print

Hits: 86 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.