don't click here

The future of TSC

Print

Author Topic: The future of TSC  (Read 95185 times)

Offline Rolken

The future of TSC
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:02:37 am »
I am no longer going to be running TSC. In the interest of preserving some or all of it, I am putting out this inquiry to see whether anyone else is interested in managing some or all of it. As I see it, there are four broad fields of competency in play, which in the past (and in the future if they so indicate) have often been delegated to people like GerbilSoft, mike89 and Zeupar, or sometimes nobody (not a good idea). Here they are:

A programmer who can maintain the code
A referee who can arbitrate the rules, probably with people with knowledge of the games behind him
A community manager who can keep people together harmoniously
A site designer / director / all-around-visionary who can tie the team together and provide common purpose

If you want to handle one or more of these fields, feel free to respond with your vision for and understanding of the site either in this topic or in PM (if you have one). If desired I can outline my ideal philosophy for running the site as well, but I'd like to see what others have to say first. I am quitting because both the site and I have evolved in directions where I do not believe that philosophy is one I can maintain and I am no longer inclined to preserve something less.

If all else fails, I will put archives of all site data up in a giant torrent for posterity and may inquire into getting the rankings transferred to other existing sites.

edit: various clarifications made.

edit2: I am not "leaving TSC forever". I may be around quite a bit less, but for the past few weeks I was absent merely to consider things from the outside, not because I intend to split permanently. I would actually be quite interested in seeing how others run the place.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:06:00 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Upthorn

Re: The future of TSC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:07:54 am »
A site designer / director / all-around-visionary who can tie everyone together
I do not understand the difference between these two.
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline Rolken

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:17 am »
A site designer / director / all-around-visionary who can tie the team together
I do not understand the difference between these two.
clarified

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:20:06 am »
A referee who can arbitrate the rules, probably with people with knowledge of the games behind him

What.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:14 am »

What.
A rules enforcer and probably also a rules committee.
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline Koshibou

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:39:30 am »
"A referee who can arbitrate the rules, probably with people with knowledge of the games behind him".

Him, what? :(

Also, I wish I could do something for TSC. And maybe I could do something in the near future once I've developed more programming skills. *Is currently only learning* :(

Though, at the same time, I think a few people might not want someone as unstable as me being able to do things to the site *snerk*

Offline Luxray

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:41:52 am »
I will be willing to be part of rule making/enforcer and/or community manager (jokes aside >_>). I would put as much effort in as possible to keep this great site/community going.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:44:56 am »
The only thing i could really do really is
"A referee who can arbitrate the rules, probably with people with knowledge of the games behind him"

I really wanted to help TSC and now i can atleast try too. <_<

EDIT: As for enforcing the final judgment i'm pretty good at that (Except Epic mafia which i fail badly :D)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:52:29 am by 1stKirbyever »

Offline SonicKnuckles

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:50:14 am »
Wow I would really hate to see such a great and strong site go down.. I'd be more than willing to give "A community manager who can keep people together harmoniously" a shot. I've always been pretty good at keeping the peace, being fair and the like. I know that I'm relativity new here, but I'm online a lot espically in the summer (now).

I would try my hand at maintaining the code but I doubt a year of Computer Science 1 and 2 would be sufficient for that.
SonicKnuckles is currently playing SA2. Started a new game and only 28 more emblems to go......

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 05:41:50 am »
Well, this is something I've been sitting on for a while because of all the uncertainty surrounding Rolken's departure. However, now that all that is cleared up, I'll no longer be taking any part in TSC.

I have long felt that I have been a negative influence on the site since I assumed some level of power, and it is for that reason why my attempts to revitalise the community had failed where positive people like flyby were so successful. As a result I feel it would be mutually beneficial for me to depart... and it probably would've been the case six months ago too, if I had had the mental toughness to walk away from what was comfortable.

The time has come for a more competent leader than myself to step forward. I know there're plenty of you out there.

PS Rolk: Sorry for hijacking your topic, but I didn't want to make my own and hijack the whole forum :(

<3 Thorn.

Offline Koshibou

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21:14 am »
What, Mike is leaving too? :( You guys are all lame. But again, I would like to express proper interest in helping build on the site with coding and what not, I'm really interested in that sort of stuff. It'd be awesome to have a look over some work you've done, Rolk, for the site to see how it works, and what not...

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 06:23:20 am »
This is saddening. :(
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 06:25:25 am »
Well, this is something I've been sitting on for a while because of all the uncertainty surrounding Rolken's departure. However, now that all that is cleared up, I'll no longer be taking any part in TSC.

I have long felt that I have been a negative influence on the site since I assumed some level of power, and it is for that reason why my attempts to revitalise the community had failed where positive people like flyby were so successful. As a result I feel it would be mutually beneficial for me to depart... and it probably would've been the case six months ago too, if I had had the mental toughness to walk away from what was comfortable.

The time has come for a more competent leader than myself to step forward. I know there're plenty of you out there.

PS Rolk: Sorry for hijacking your topic, but I didn't want to make my own and hijack the whole forum :(

I'll totally take it
*shot*

EDIT: no really i'll take it >_>
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:59:56 am by 1stKirbyever »

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:23:17 am »
Well, I for one would really like to help, but I've never had any experience in these matters, so I probably wouldn't be much help.  However, I do know that this website simply CANNOT DIE (Tikal forbids it) so I'm willing to pitch in.  I don't know the programming language required but am very much willing to learn.  I just know that, as the one site I visit MORE OFTEN THAN FACEBOOK, I ain't lettin' this go down without a fight.  My potential vision for the site may come later when I feel like writing it.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 08:26:14 am »

Sign me up. 8)
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:24 am »
I am willing to take on pretty much anything people want to throw at me; I'm probably not the person to do community management, due to my somewhat polarising sense of humour*, but I can definitely help with code and maybe as rules committee secretary/organiser/dogsbody?

* although putting me in charge of people would make a TERRIFIC reality TV show.  We could call it "Doug screws people up through sophomoric humour and pure distilled evil".  In fact screw this helping out, I'm off to pitch this to the networks.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 10:00:36 am »
I liked you as site manager, but I'm sure it'll be handled well by everyone else. :(

You should change your title to "Person". <_<

Edit: MIKE IS LEAVING TOO?!
Okay, let's put Dhaos in charge of the site.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:03 am »
I know I've only been here for a year, but I would like to pitch in too. This site is too awesome to go down. I don't know anything about codes and stuff and but I could help with the other bits such as the rules or either the community manager bit. Even if it's a small job I still like to help out :(

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 10:16:10 am »

You remember the deal!?

I'm gone too >_>

Edit: APPARENTLY PEOPLE CANNOT SPOT SATIRE LOL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:55:08 pm by Frostymcdoom the Noble, Champion of the Frozen Wastes »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:28 am »
I actually thing DSS and Zeupar would make an excellent rule arbitration team. If we gave them the sort of general rule laws that we abide by at tsc (nothing infinite, competition degrading), I think they have enough dedication/sonic knowledge to create and enforce rule violations.

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »
I agree with Stefan: DsS and Zeupar would make an awesome enforcer team.  Except now DsS would now know how to circumvent the cheater flag....
GASP
MAYBE THIS WAS HIS GRAND PLAN
TODAY TSC
TOMORROW THE WORLD
My presssioussss....

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 12:45:50 pm »
I agree with Stefan: DsS and Zeupar would make an awesome enforcer team.  Except now DsS would now know how to circumvent the cheater flag....
GASP
TODAY TSC
TOMORROW THE WORLD
Hah :)

Who's actually on the Rules Committee as it stands?  Maybe we should have an all-new one if mike's departing.  Either way, I wholeheartedly endorse DsS and Zeupar as members.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »
I was hesitant to do anything when I first read the topic, but instead of seeing a whole bunch of people stepping up and saying "Oh, I'll help with such and such", I see a second admin stepping down at the same time, and everybody saying "oh DsS plays games well, he should take over". So I'm volunteering for anything Rolken mentioned other than "programmer" because I don't have or even know anybody who does have Gerbil's understanding of TSC programming. EDIT: Not to say that I wouldn't be willing to program... just don't expect me to dive right in knowing everything.

On the side of understanding and enforcing the rules, I've competed in all but the Storybook games on a relatively high level and thus have a good understanding of each game's physics, design, etc. I've also programmed enough Genesis Sonic hacks to understand a few things from the programmer's perspective and to base certain competition rules off of this philosophy (e.g. with the Hydrocity 2 and Ice Cap 1 "act cleared, but don't go to the next level" and Marble Garden 2 "finish that simply restarts the level" glitches, either the Current Zone/Act flag or the Level Load flag is altered, but not both, when TSC should require both to be changed for a stat to count). I'm also familiar with both the objective and subjective methods of callings BS (i.e. the difference between "That stat's not possible in that game" and "That stat is so good that it would require a game breaking glitch that nobody's heard of yet", and when it's okay to call BS on the latter).

Forum-wise, I've been full moderator of the Emerald Challenge forums and managed to not explode in anybody's face over his/her stupidity, if that counts for anything. I've also done some administrative work on TUSC, although that's currently in a state of disarray that probably merits redoing the entire site with less bullshit games and more games that TSC would actually play. I'm somewhat aware of how the charts are designed due to creating them on TUSC: while I'm sure an actual TSC admin doesn't get the pretty, clickable interface that subsite admins get, I do remember holding yse's hand through making charts for Chaotix Special Stages, so it can't be too much different.~

I do agree with those that have said that DsS could play some role in creating and enforcing rules, since he's clearly got the knowledge for it. In fact, I believe that much of the reason for debates over rules is that the current admins don't actively compete. While that allows them to be more objective, it also causes a bit of separation from the site's purpose, and when the people running the place aren't familiar with certain things that need to be done, they simply don't get done. I also advocate Zeupar continuing to play a part, seeing as when he came to power, rules were laid and BS stats were wiped. I have quite the level of respect for GerbilSoft and how hard he's being on the current wave of new member BS: while some new people have said that they're scared to submit because of Gerbil's public posts that call people out, they have no reason to be scared unless they intend to lie.

Okay, screw making an epic conclusion to this essay on why I feel I'm capable of helping out. I've had this ugly feeling in my stomach as I type, seeing as mike and RPG are on their way out and they've been my number one reason for sticking around. While I'll never understand the "negative influence on the site" mike presented "since [he] assumed some level of power" (I don't really remembering you doing much that *required* admin power -- most of your influence was due to your social status and people hanging onto your words, which is a good thing), I think I would be able to fill at least part of the gap that Rolken and mike are leaving.

:'(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:15:12 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50:21 pm »
GASP
TODAY TSC
TOMORROW THE WORLD
Hah :)

Who's actually on the Rules Committee as it stands?  Maybe we should have an all-new one if mike's departing.  Either way, I wholeheartedly endorse DsS and Zeupar as members.

Seconded. And Minus made me lol hard >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 01:10:10 pm »
I've been thinking about this some more ... and I'm beginning to think I want to try the programming part.  True, I don't know the language.  But I'm willing to learn it, and I probably know multiple people in real life who do.  I'm a computer engineering graduate!  Anything I pick up by working on that code will only look good on my resume!  In all honesty, since the only thing I really ever compete in is rings ... I'd probably enjoy coding the website more than actually competing in it.  And if I've learned something in the past month, it's that I need SOMETHING to do this summer.  All I'd hope is that GS commented his code.
My presssioussss....

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:41 pm »
A programmer who can maintain the code
A site designer / director / all-around-visionary who can tie the team together and provide common purpose
I'm going to give my thoughts on who I think is probably best for each area. Most of these are based on perceived qualification and maturity. Not to say that I don't think the others aren't qualified, but I think they'd do the best.

Programmer: Gerbil's been doing pretty much all of that for the last however-long. Most of TSC's new functionality, He's not my favorite person in the world but I don't see why this should change; he cares more about TSC's actual coding more than anyone else ever did, even if he breaks it sometimes.

<GerbilSoft> fu

Referee: Mike is probably most qualified, but he's leaving. Zeupar also cares. Stefan too. Probably best split between them. I don't remember offhand who's on the rules committee and am too lazy to check, but anyone on there should be fine.

Community Manager: There is no doubt that flyby fits this on the nose. And from the implications I've gotten she isn't going anywhere. Whammo.

Designer/Director/Visionary: Mike is the logical progression for the top (DAMN YOU FOR SAYING YOU ARE LEAVING), but this one is pretty open-ended and vague, to be perfectly honest. Stefan? Thorn? Zeupar? *shrug*

---

I'd volunteer to help with some of the community stuff as well considering I haven't really had the competitive spirit lately. I've had several ideas that would've been great to help tie the community together, particularly in a more casual sense. (See also the magic tournament that I pretty much ended up running, the failed box league, the failed TCG, some league ideas.) I've got a few other fledgling ideas too that I wouldn't mind bouncing off of someone.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 01:40:14 pm »
Okay, so  here are my thoughts on the roles, as well as on candidates (will update as the topic goes on, or others can start their own):

Programmers
Clearly need to be both trustworthy and technically skilled.  Gerbil will be able to answer better than anyone how many bodies are needed here, and how much is/can be exposed to others (eg creation of new charts).
Candidates:
GerbilSoft: obviously.  Quite apart from being teh awesomes, he owns and operates the TSC server (by the way, the offer of monies towards that stands).
Douglas: zomg presumption!  I can code (rusty in PHP/SQL, but will pick it up again quickly), and am trustworthy when sober.
Minus: needs something to do this summer (<_<), keen to learn.

Referees
My take here would be to give all members of the Rules Committee the power of banhammer (as well as editorship over LD and of course the rules page).  This is a pretty big jump in trust, and would rely on members both taking this seriously and having excellent knowledge of the games they're presiding over (so eg if I was on, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to ban a player for offences in SA:DX).  It's also important that such actions are recorded so they're transparent and it becomes obvious if anyone's taking the piss.  With all that in mind, I'd propose quite a large committee, drawing on the Spaceship Users, and with a chair who has the job of herding cats keeping things organised (the chair may be the same person as the Grand Overseer, see below).
Candidates:
DarkspinesSonic: probably unrivalled knowledge of many, many games (particularly in the sordid land of 3D).
Zeupar: again, excellent knowledge across a number of games, plus is the most fair and anal thorough researcher you could ask for.
Thorn: see his post.
Douglas: on previous RC, know my way around the GeneDrive and GBA titles, OCD on consistent basis for rules rather than case-by-case considerations.
SpinballWizard: http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?topic=4302.0 - 'nuff said.
Stefan: similar reasons to Zeupar.

Community Leaders
I see this as essentially a combination of forum admin and newbie helper - kind of the role that Spaceship Users should be fulfilling, only with power over forum privileges.  I'm ambivalent over this; on one hand I think SUs can be trusted to pitch in more on this (eg being able to delete posts), but on the other I think it's worth this being distinct from SUs because some of us can be something of an acquired taste (read: Doug is an asshole <_<), and it probably helps to have people who've a mindset to help new users.  Should also get edit privileges over stuff like the FAQ, Visitor Orientation, etc.  We should have as many of these as Referees members if at all possible.
Candidates:
Thorn: again, see his post (note in particular a track record at this kind of thing).
flyby: pretty much a shoe-in.  Most nicest person ever.

Grand Overseer
In my view, in order to have a coordinated approach this person should automatically be both on the Rules Committee and a Community Leader, as in terms of the member experience they're two sides of the same coin (stick and carrot).  This person needs to have the support and respect of the TSC community, but also be accountable to it.  I therefore have a proposal - TSC General Election.  I don't think the other positions require this (though could be persuaded otherwise), nor do I think being elected should give you absolute control over the site (the Rules Committee and the Community Leaders are your checks and balances, as it were).  I also think the election process (as a series of debates about the direction in which we should take TSC) could be a worthwhile exercise.

Thoughts?

Offline flying fox

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »
Reading Thorn's post about dss playing some role in creating and enforcing the rules bit, I started to have a re-think. I realised that I don't really have the knowledge for that sort of thing. I mean the only games that I have knowledge in is S06, SBK and S2 (which are games that no one cares about, well except S2).

I could always try for the community manager part. You guys have known me for a while now, so you know what sort of person I am, through the forums and chat. Not to mention I am here at TSC a lot now because the site is just pure awesome and I would love it to stay that way :D

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »
Something I forgot to point out, and douglas inadvertently reminded me: we DEFINITELY need multiple people for programming.  What happens right now if GS for some reason needs to leave (like his family decides to move to the middle of the African wilderness for some inexplicable reason)?  He has extensive knowledge of the programming, but the only one with that level.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other to have even touched the TSC code in the recent past is Rolken (well whaddya know).  GS leaves, there are probably certain parts of this code that we'd NEVER be able to figure out, and two years later we find out that Rick Astley somehow has become sitewide champion.  I don't expect you to leave anytime soon, GS, but you have to admit, we'd be in hot water without ya, and for that reason we need others to have very good knowledge of the code.
My presssioussss....

Offline Rolken

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:34 pm »
Just to be clear, I'm more interested in philosophy and motivations than qualifications. As such, volunteering other people is not particularly helpful. I had no qualifications when I started TSC and I like to think I've done reasonably well at it.

I don't think knowing the games is necessarily as important for the rule overseers as that the direction he intends to take rulings is good for the site. It is necessary but not sufficient for the community managers to be nice.

I would not have picked mike even if he volunteered himself, not because of any past track record as he cited, but because I don't think it would be healthy for both him and the site for him to be in charge. That is the kind of thing I am concerned about.

TSC code is a bit obtuse but I am willing to put some effort into improving the readability and helping people understand it if that makes a difference. It was my first complete project so it unavoidably has its weaknesses.

edit: I also don't have any particular direction in mind that I'm waiting for someone to puzzle out. I am more concerned with forming a team that will be happy and motivated to work together for a common cause.

edit2: also I will be around at least in a consulting capacity on the code for quite awhile. It's not Gerbil's responsibility, it's mine.

Print

Hits: 574 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.40 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.