don't click here

Translating TSC

Print

Author Topic: Translating TSC  (Read 14208 times)

Offline Rolken

Translating TSC
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:06 pm »
In regards to an awesome Unleashed video from a Japanese player, the idea of having a Japanese translation of TSC was mentioned. If anyone is interested in embarking on such a project (or any other language), this is the file you need. The file is formatted as such:

'text identifier' => 'Actual Language Text',

Just change the second blank to what seems appropriate in light of the original text and the description to the left. Ideally most of it should be pretty self-explanatory. Send it back or attach it or whatever and up it goes.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
Re: Translating TSC
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:40:11 pm »
This reminds me that I should finish the Castilian translation of TSC. >_>
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • android chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:29:57 pm »
It's a good idea, so many japanese players do incredible things and don't get the reward for these things, one example is this guy who beated Paragod's record in Metal Harbor in february, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHO-NncKcc0
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:46 pm »
I'm studying Jap...I guess I have more motivation now.

So er, I could help out if no one else tries. :/

I'm also studying Polish, Finnish, and Norwegian....Oh God.

Edit: Also, can I translate "leader" as "best"? Because in the dictionary I'm using, the translations for "leader" are along the lines of "authority" rather than "person with the best stat".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:40:29 pm by Cutiefox »

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:53 pm »
Here's one >http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZARO8J24. It's unfinished, but I hope SOMEONE WILL MAKE SOME CORRECTIONS.

Anyway, I attempted to pick the most accurate translation, but it might not be very localized. You know, some parts might sound stiff/unnatural, but hopefully it's useful. >_>
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:54:39 pm by Cutiefox »

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »
Are your Japanese translations so far done from your knowledge or a dictionary (or both)?

I'm studying Japanese, but only at the first or second year level right now.  If I have any possibility of helping, then I would like to.

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »
From both, I've been studying for around a year and a half. But knowing no one to check, I can't always be sure if I'm doing everything correctly. :/

I'm sure you'll know something I don't, so by all means do whatever you wish.

Edit: Here's a second edit, mostly just with more words translated. Still need to work on those long sentences... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N1XHF57K
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:43:30 pm by Cutiefox »

Offline Antronach

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:09 pm »
How about a couple people babel fish the site for starters, so we can get something to show Japan while you guys work on the nitty gritty (if the translation looks like it'll take too long). I don't think Europe would be a big deal since most teens over there know about 3 languages minimum and most of the time one of them is English.
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

Offline Hellspawn

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 02:43:11 am »
Anyone interested in a Finnish translation?

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:05 pm »
^DO WANT. I WILL CONSIDER YOU SO AWESOME FOR DOING SO.

Hmm, learned a bit more for the Jap translation. Will show it soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:50:51 pm by Cutiefox »

Offline Hellspawn

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:01:19 pm »
^Haven't got much time (and my Finnish is only mediumly OK) but I will do my best.

Offline SuperShmoe

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 07:51:01 am »
Ok, I guess I'm gonna give this a go (translating to Japanese) when I get some free time (probably toward the end of July...)

As for my qualifications, I've studied Japanese for nearly six years and have lived in Japan for three of those years.  I am confident in my speaking, reading and writing abilities.  I've done some part time work translating from Japanese to English, but as anyone with translation experience knows, going from a native language to a non-native language is a whole new game. 

That's why I'd like to hook up with anyone else who feels qualified for the job!  Let's work it out, work it out, think about it! Work it out, work it out, talk about it! Work it out, work it out, make it happen!  Let's work it out, work it out!  We've got to make it real!

Making some inquiries in chat, it looks like Upth and possibly Blazest speak Japanese? Anyone else?  I understand, of course, that people are busy and asking for a commitment would be quite an imposition.  Nevertheless, I'd like to get as many people involved as possible!

I might also decide to whip up some standardized messages that can be used to invite some of those Japanese players who pop up on Youtube like Gomasennen or Shintaro.  Any other ideas?

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 01:55:48 pm »
With your qualifications, it'd be great to see your translation. I'd attempt to team up with ya, but now that I think about it, I'm not really sure about what I'm supposed to learn to translate everything correctly. >_>

Standardized messages FTW.

Also, you guys know that many Japanese don't speak English very well, right? Even if we get a shitload of Japanese players, only a few of them would actually show up in the forums, eh? >_>

Offline SuperShmoe

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 06:05:22 am »
Just posting to say I haven't forgotten about this, and that I ought to get down to business early next week.

Unless there's a new text file that I've somehow missed, I'll just do the file I already downloaded and post the new rules on the front page separately.  Any objections to this plan?

As for what you're "supposed to learn to translate everything correctly," I'd say you need a high level of grammatical understanding, a decent vocabulary with knowledge of corresponding collocations, and access to good dictionaries. 頑張れ!

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:43:18 am »
Once I get home I might translate a Das Sonic-Zentrum >_>
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 05:51:47 pm »
I am a huge translation nut, and Zeupar advised me to bump this topic in order to get translation up and running again. I would translate to Dutch, which probably won’t be as useful as Japanese or Spanish for example, but I really like translating so I’m willing to spend the time and effort for it. I’ve been translating for a number of websites like Team Fortress Wiki and Cyberscore, and I’m also part of the Steam Translation Server.

Print

Hits: 215 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.19 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.