don't click here

ITT, we remember awesome game villains

Print

Author Topic: ITT, we remember awesome game villains  (Read 22647 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
ITT, we remember awesome game villains
« on: April 24, 2009, 03:06:27 am »
Simple enough, talk about villains in video games. Nominate a few (3-10) that you believe should be considered to be in the pantheon of great video game villiains and why. There are a few conditions though.

1. No fanboyish comments. Lets keep the discussion intelligent, such as involving traits that stood out, something about the character design (development as well as art), clever writing, etc.

2. No stuff from licensed games unless said villain is an original character created specifically for the game.

Here's some of my personal favorites.

1. Omega (Mega Man Zero 3): This guy was different from the generic villain with a generic "world domination mwa hahaha" motive. He had no goals, no long term plots. The only thing running through this psychopath's head was murder. He cared not whose blood spilt, merely that it did. At the time of the game's release, he was scary in a symbolic way. With possession of Zero's original body, Omega is exactly what fans believed Dr. Wily intended Zero to be from the beginning. To add to the symbolism, you fight this guy in the very same room where the Zero series began.

2. Eliphas the Inheritor (WH40k Dawn of War Dark Crusade): The thing I like about this guy is his personality. He can best be described as a suave evil knight with a commanding aura of dark charisma. For every insult or taunt directed at him, he had a clever, witty comeback. He virtually never raises his voice and loses his temper even less often. To top it all off, the voice acting for this character was excellent. Considered the most popular Chaos Lord by a VERY wide margin (and none of that is through making fun of him, unlike the others especially Carron) and one of the most popular characters in the entire Dawn of War series.

3. Gig (Soul Nomad and the World Eaters): It takes special talent as a villain to make being an omnicical maniac absolutely hilarious. Everywhere you go, he comes up with some form of smart ass comment, insult, or sociopathic idea. and he's on your side trying to make you do stuff that will cause him to take over the main character's body (he's sealed in a sword). Like example 2, part of this is due to outstanding voice acting. Yuri Lowenthal did an excellent job to the point where the US Gig is widely preferrend to the Japanese version.

4. Kefka (FF6): To summarize this guy, take the Joker at his absolute worst and crank it up to eleven. This guy stands out because he's one of those guys you simply love to hate. What I remember him for is for his atrocities, which got progressively more awful, more horrifying as if he was trying to beat some personal record. All of this with some form of witty comment.

I'm also a major sucker for anti-villains, as they are often some of the most well developed characters around.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Luxray

Re: ITT, we remember awesome game villains
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:08:27 am »
What about Eggman?
* No shot

EDIT:

1. No fanboyish comments. Lets keep the discussion intelligent, such as involving traits that stood out, something about the character design (development as well as art), clever writing, etc.

Oh..

Well lets see...

*thinks*

D: I haven't played games that contain a villain at all. D: The only ones would be the common 3, Wily, Eggman and Bowser... Sorry :(
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:00 am »
Nessiah from Yggdra Union.
Warning, major spoilers ahead.

The first time you meet him he's commanding a battalion of the Bronquian army. He attacks you and is impossible to beat, kicking your ass with his card allowing him to summon a whole new fresh set of units during a clash which are superior to yours in weapon choice. Plus he fights with a book. Well anyway, a few turns after beating you up, he then decides to kill all of the men he commanded with one strike, afterwards he stabs himself and dies.
Then he reappears later to give you some hints until at the end of the game, you traverse to a mysterious island having risen from beneath the sea where he already awaits you. Along with a revived Kylier, your old ally who a few battlefields before blow herself up heroically to save your army. Well yeah, he took the bits of her corpse that were lying around and used parts of other dead bodies to make up for the rest, trapped her soul in the whole thing and then forced her reanimated zombie self to fight you.
Afterwards, he's revealed to have been the main villain all along, having manipulated the past few hundred years of history so that the kingdom of Paltina constantly had to wage and win wars with the "holy" sword he is revealed to have entrusted its monarchs with, so the sword would kill a lot of people and harvest their life powers which he desired to eventually revive his true angelic form that was banished by the gods after a crime centuries ago. In other words, all you had been doing up to that point was according to his plan.

All while having a damn chained lock on his eyes. http://lacrimacastle.net/files/Yggdra/walls/wall_ygg_nes01_l.jpg
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:13 am »
(and only one is fan-boy-ish at all, methinks)

Magus (Chrono Trigger)
The music for this guy was one to really set a tone, I thought, and since there is no voice, the BGM kinda feels like it'd fill that void.  Instead of running like the rest of the cast, he casually glides... and the scythe...
His history is well-written, and he's an optional character... I think he adds a lot to the game, personally.

Victor Delacroix (Chaos Legion)
The power with which he commands his presense is, to me, amazingly well done.  Enigmatic up to the very end.  I stole this guy's last name because he's so awesome.

Knuckles (S3)
Knux used to totally look evil... *sigh*

Zorn/Thorn (FF9, for comedy factor, if nothing else)

And last, but certainly not least, my favorite psychopathic annihilation machine, ZIO!, from Phantasy Star 4! (If you haven't played the game, you need to.)

Zio, the head of a church that worships Dark Force, is the driving force for the assembly of the party (and the start of the story itself).  While he's not the final boss, he's perhaps the most memorable character in the game (not sure if this is true for other people).  His melee attack animation, for example (holds his right hand away from his body, and three bolts of blood-red ANNIHILATION... ahem... magic laser thingies hurl into the sky, only to reappear in the foreground, striking his targeted character.) was an amazingly good visual, at the time, and I still think it's the suavest pseudo-physical-attack EVER!

He's rather difficult to beat, at the point you encounter him, unless you've been levelling. 

Zio = Awesome

To the above: Gig is awesome...  and you're right, the voice-acting is amazingly well done, right up there with Laharl (D1) and Vyers (Mid-Boss) (D1 and to a lesser extent, D2)

Nessiah is amazingly manipulative... but he's an angel, so it's not like he really had to earn his power (honestly, when I found out what was going on, I was like "Really?  An ANGEL?  Dude... talk about an uphill battle... >_>")
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
I will second that vote (?) for Kefka. I finished FFVI for the first time a couple of months ago and finally understand why so many people who love VI hate VII.

Sephiroth has motivation for what he does but no personality whatsoever. Kefka is the opposite, no motivation but LOADS of personality. VII substituted entertainment for melodrama and a "deep" storyline. I know which I'd pick now.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:19:35 pm »
I will second that vote (?) for Kefka. I finished FFVI for the first time a couple of months ago and finally understand why so many people who love VI hate VII.

Sephiroth has motivation for what he does but no personality whatsoever. Kefka is the opposite, no motivation but LOADS of personality. VII substituted entertainment for melodrama and a "deep" storyline. I know which I'd pick now.

Uh... that's because he's dead.  Note, if you will, that what you're chasing the entire game (sans flashbacks) is the "ghost" of sephy, or more accurately, Jenova using his body, because he was supposed to be the single most powerful being on the planet...

makes sense, but yes, I'd still agree that

KEFKA > SEPHY
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:16:09 pm »
Yeah but he didn't have any personality when he was alive either. Fangirls think "mysterious" and "bishy" are valid personality traits but they're not. He's vaguely tortured but that's it.

Also I loled when I saw Kefka's final form and realised just how much Sephiroth ripped the whole thing off (not to mention the near cut-and-paste plot of the whole game).

I'm derailing the thread, so, uh, hey, you know who else is a great villain?

DAMON MOTHERFUCKING GANT THAT'S WHO.

Seriously, out of all the villains in all the Ace Attorney games, he scared me most. Even more than fucking Von Karma. That fucking stare...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:45:01 pm by Crowbar »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:12:58 am »
That's ok: FF7 is an admitted storyline ripoff from PS4...  so FF6 + PS4 = FF7?

Vyers is the best villain ever.  That laugh is awesome.  HE'S JUST SO COOOOOL!

ok, more seriously, both the Japanese and English voice-acting are amazing, and he goes from being a rather aloof personality to a very central character (albeit never fully explained).  Mid-Boss is such an amazing addition to an already wonderful cast.

Plus, he kinda fits my personal (though impossible) ideal.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:41:11 pm »
Yeah but he didn't have any personality when he was alive either. Fangirls think "mysterious" and "bishy" are valid personality traits but they're not. He's vaguely tortured but that's it.

Also I loled when I saw Kefka's final form and realised just how much Sephiroth ripped the whole thing off (not to mention the near cut-and-paste plot of the whole game).

I'm derailing the thread, so, uh, hey, you know who else is a great villain?

DAMON MOTHERFUCKING GANT THAT'S WHO.

Seriously, out of all the villains in all the Ace Attorney games, he scared me most. Even more than fucking Von Karma. That fucking stare...

Crowbar wins. Gant was a fucking douche.  A few of my personal favorites include (but are not limited to, and in no order)

Zelgius (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
- He's not really a "villain" villain. I'm not sure what he is, which is why I find his character so appealing.  He's just some random, seemingly cliche'd knight...and then you learn about his character and find out that there is a lot more under the surface.
Kane (Shining Force)
- He's just fucking cool, that's all there is to it
Richter (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
- He's also cool, but it's how he flips from good to bad that makes him interesting.
The SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
- This thing is just scary, and Fusion has a great atmosphere that the SA-X really works well in

and uh...that's all I can think of at the moment, but there are more.  I'll get to the "why" later too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:33:04 pm by Alondite »

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:38:08 pm »
Green.

Why?

SEVEN FORCE

Not Three Force, not Five Force, SEVEN FORCE.

Yes, this is serious <_<  Though he lacks character development (save possibly a bit in Gunstar Super Heroes, but that's different).  I'm sure there's other redeeming traits.  But hey, he's formidable.

I'll think of more later maybe.
Hi

Offline Antronach

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:34:59 am »
Lynx (hi PPA) from Chrono Cross. Not only is he the visage of Serge's childhood terror, he swaps bodies with him, stabs Kid while in Serge's body and has Porre invade the archipelago. Then, to add insult to injury, you find out that Lynx is Serge's dad transformed into Serge's worst nightmare (well phobia, but I can't find a snazzy word for it at 4AM). Too bad the fight with him as Fate is easy if you were able to steal a Black Plate form Black Dragon. :/
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 11:31:15 am »
Wesker >> all
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Alondite

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »
Lynx (hi PPA) from Chrono Cross. Not only is he the visage of Serge's childhood terror, he swaps bodies with him, stabs Kid while in Serge's body and has Porre invade the archipelago. Then, to add insult to injury, you find out that Lynx is Serge's dad transformed into Serge's worst nightmare (well phobia, but I can't find a snazzy word for it at 4AM). Too bad the fight with him as Fate is easy if you were able to steal a Black Plate form Black Dragon. :/

Chrono Cross is a fantastic game...but Lynx was meh imho. Even though he was barely fleshed out, I preferred Dario. Something about him just struck a chord with me.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:52 pm »

Chrono Cross is a fantastic game...but Lynx was meh imho. Even though he was barely fleshed out, I preferred Dario. Something about him just struck a chord with me.

Another one of those rare instances where Alon and I share a viewpoint.

Also, I think that the psychopath from Xenosaga (his Ep. 1 incarnation) was just awesome... especially uncensored...

though uncensored was slightly LESS creepy, it still sends shivers...

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »
How could I forget Wesker, the witty psychopath with the awesome shades. Like with Eliphas, for me, its about his charisma.

How is Vyers a villan? He doesn't even do anything evil besides maybe loot your picnic basket (a chaotic act rather than an evil one, just ask Yogi Bear). The pendant didn't even attack him either (though to be fair, he wasn't lying when he said he found it fair and square). Still, he's great. Like Lamington, much smarter than he looks and so hilarious. He's going to be a playable character in the third game's DLC (released in Japan, will be coming soon to the US).

Also from the Dawn of War series is Gorgutz. Gotta love a violently comedic brute who sounds like a soccor hooligan. Everything that comes out of his mouth is pure gold despite him not being very smart. That and he kills a World Eaters Chaos Lord in one on one combat. A KHORNITE Chaos Lord. The guy who played Gorgutz eventually went on to play Ryuk from Death Note.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:42 pm »
How is Vyers a villain? He doesn't even do anything evil besides maybe loot your picnic basket (a chaotic act rather than an evil one, just ask Yogi Bear). The pendant didn't even attack him either (though to be fair, he wasn't lying when he said he found it fair and square). Still, he's great. Like Lamington, much smarter than he looks and so hilarious. He's going to be a playable character in the third game's DLC (released in Japan, will be coming soon to the US).

How is a villain necessarily evil?  He has a contrary path of power.  He is, as Laharl states, simply a stepping stone to his ascension, but is this any more than any other evil?  His character is awesome, and slightly enigmatic (thus far), but he's still very much not a Hero, and not neutral, which makes him a villain.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:52:14 am »
How is a villain necessarily evil?
Well, villain technically has to do with evil if I have my definitions right.  I think the word you're thinking of is antagonist, Aitamen.
Hi

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 06:30:05 am »
How is a villain necessarily evil?
Well, villain technically has to do with evil if I have my definitions right.  I think the word you're thinking of is antagonist, Aitamen.

Villain -   A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.

this definition of Villain was the one I was most aware of...

since there is no such thing as good and evil in my universe, heroes and villains are simply those that are at odds... and in this case, Laharl is the primary viewpoint... Mid-Boss is often at ends with such a thing, even without much intent in the matter...

Antagonist is the more apropriate word for villain, though, yes.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:25 am »
since there is no such thing as good and evil in my universe

brb strangling puppies with my penis

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:46 am »
You have some odd sexual habits, but I'm pretty sure I'm still more bizarre than you.

How such a thing can be true, I'll leave you to speculate.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:48 am »
ITT jokes go straight over Aita's head

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 01:23:20 am »
Who can forget about that magnificent bastard Adachi. He has everyone fooled during the serial murder case and even manages to trick some sucker into tossing people into the TV. Said idiot thought he was saving people from the murderer, completely unaware that the TV world IS the weapon. Of course it was obvious to me that Adachi is the killer around October. (Hint, in October the party receives a clue that can best be described as the "smoking gun").

In unrelated news, Mid-Boss is now availible for DLC in America. You can play as him now.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:23 am »
ITT jokes go straight over Aita's head
ITT Acceptance of things intended to be jokes, and the irony (and perhaps disgust thereof) make RPG look lame.

Print

Hits: 163 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.