don't click here

Another nail in the coffin of Black Knight

Print

Author Topic: Another nail in the coffin of Black Knight  (Read 16412 times)

Offline Rolken

Another nail in the coffin of Black Knight
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:09:21 am »
If you were planning on buying Sonic and the Black Knight to compete, you might want to hold off, because Paraxade's busting the game apart, and not in a good way. Not only is there infinite score potential on every enemy and object, thus destroying any score competition and presumably shattering the online leaderboards, but the game generally doesn't save your fastest time. On any level with a score, it saves the time you got with your highest score, no matter whether it's better or worse than your last. And since it doesn't show your time on the status results screen either, times are pretty much sunk. We're left with the eleven (plus three?) missions that track time instead of score and the bosses. (update: bosses have the same time tracking problem)

It's not quite Sonic Blast or Labyrinth levels of dysfunctional unviability... yet. But, yes, those few missions and the bosses will be tracked, barring further revelations.

edit: On the bright side, our nice clean '4000' chart number on the front page may remain intact.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:48:06 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Re: Another nail in the coffin of Black Knight
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:20:37 am »
Big deal.  None of the Genesis-era games tracked times, and if someone glitches to get a better time on a newer game, they still need to write down their non-glitch time anyways.  And Unleashed doesn't have scores, and SSR shouldn't have scores.  Yeah no, I don't see a problem.
EDIT: Just read the "no time on status screen" part.  Eh, maybe tracking times using the time with the highest score could be interesting anyways?
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Werey

• TSC TOP 30!
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Beep beep Wereycar coming through Beep Beep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:21 am »
Unleashed has scores, Well the 360/Ps3 does

Championships: Sonic Unleashed DLC.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:13 am »

Yes, but Unleashed doesn't have a method of infinite points on every single level in the game.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:47:38 am »
He was responding to Minus.

Eh, maybe tracking times using the time with the highest score could be interesting anyways?
You can't compete like that. You'd get locked out after you got a score you couldn't beat on a speedrun.

Offline Parax

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:51:37 am »
Big deal.  None of the Genesis-era games tracked times

well, in the genesis-era games you had more than one frame to check your time before the timer disappeared. your time doesn't show on the results screen either.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
Big deal.  None of the Genesis-era games tracked times

well, in the genesis-era games you had more than one frame to check your time before the timer disappeared. your time doesn't show on the results screen either.
Note the edit.  I was too lazy to rewrite my post from that.

He was responding to Minus.

Eh, maybe tracking times using the time with the highest score could be interesting anyways?
You can't compete like that. You'd get locked out after you got a score you couldn't beat on a speedrun.
Hmm, true.  Is there any way to delete best times?

Yes, but Unleashed doesn't have a method of infinite points on every single level in the game.
I talk from Wii experience here.  Wii scores, you'll actually get LOWER on your second try, as the item boxes with red sparklies become blue sparklies.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Parax

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:46:19 pm »
Hmm, true.  Is there any way to delete best times?

Other than starting a new file, no.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:41 pm »
Big deal.  None of the Genesis-era games tracked times, and if someone glitches to get a better time on a newer game, they still need to write down their non-glitch time anyways.  And Unleashed doesn't have scores, and SSR shouldn't have scores.  Yeah no, I don't see a problem.
EDIT: Just read the "no time on status screen" part.  Eh, maybe tracking times using the time with the highest score could be interesting anyways?

EXACTLY why I was upset when I saw Rolken's news post. Doesn't make any sense.
And the whole principle of "Oh! The game has online leaderboards so we're not adding it" is non-sensical at all since SRA and even SRZG were added. Makes no sense AT ALL. >_>

And since it doesn't show your time on the status screen either....

Uh... yes it does.

I don't get how this should affect stat tracking at all (for times specifically; scores I can understand perfectly fine).

Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Parax

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »
And since it doesn't show your time on the status screen either....

Uh... yes it does.

Uh... no it doesn't.

The only missions that properly track time (and show it on the results screen) are Legacy, Beat the Clock, and Rush Hour missions, all of which will be tracked. The rest don't.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
SRA was added because the online leaderboards were deficient. SBK will be added because the online leaderboards are deficient. I don't know anything about SRZG so I can't comment there.

By 'status screen' I meant 'results screen', so I'll edit that. I don't own the game, but as I understand it, there's nowhere to check your final time.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
SRA was added because the online leaderboards were deficient. SBK will be added because the online leaderboards are deficient. I don't know anything about SRZG so I can't comment there.

By 'status screen' I meant 'results screen', so I'll edit that. I don't own the game, but as I understand it, there's nowhere to check your final time.

THAT'S what confused me, was your wording. Cause I know that on some missions, it doesn't show on the Results Screen. If you had said Results, I wouldn't have said what I said above.

I still don't get how online leaderboards should impact whether or not a game should be added...
Wiiloveit

Offline Rolken

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »
The chances of SBK going without leaderboards were never particularly high. I merely was leaving the option open and gauging opinion in the event that the leaderboards were actually viable, with a sufficient range of charts (and no cheating potential) such that people wouldn't want to take the time to submit on TSC anyway.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »
The chances of SBK going without leaderboards were never particularly high. I merely was leaving the option open and gauging opinion in the event that the leaderboards were actually viable, with a sufficient range of charts (and no cheating potential) such that people wouldn't want to take the time to submit on TSC anyway.

Many people who don't have Wi-fi access would. And there would be some who still would even if they did.
Wiiloveit

Offline Rolken

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 01:06:52 pm »
Well, like I said, the matter is in the past now. Rankings are going up, provided there's anything left when Paraxade is through with the game.

Print

Hits: 989 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.09 MB | Time: 0.82s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.