don't click here

It is... inevitable

Print

Author Topic: It is... inevitable  (Read 21706 times)

Offline Rolken

It is... inevitable
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:15 pm »
I hope you like Sega's game model of a smidgen of Sonic time and a wallop of drudgery, because it isn't changing:

Sonic and the Black Knight director Tetsu Katano tells Videogamer "You will see the Werehog again." That's despite the general shunning of the Werehog version of Sonic by many longtime Sonic the Hedgehog fans and mixed reviews from critics.

"In principle, I think that the users are always right. They're the ones paying the money and playing the games. If they don't enjoy it, they're not going to buy it," Katano tells Videogamer. "I don't think that producing the Werehog was a mistake per se, but there were a lot of things we could have done better if we had more time and resources."

In TSC news, if you are a player who still cares about Sonic R and would like to see some form of nonglitch competition, speak now or forever hold your peace. (but glitch rankings aren't disappearing)

Oh, and Black Knight which comes out tomorrow apparently has online leaderboards, so it's quite possible that TSC won't have charts for it. Or maybe I can wangle into their system again and extract TSC member data straight from Nintendo. Hm...

3/4 update: IGN gave Black Knight a 3.9, their lowest Sonic review yet, lower even than Sonic06's 4.8. I... er... I'm sure they're just biased. That's gotta be it.

Update again: 26/40 (or 6.5 average) from Famitsu, the most popular Japanese gaming magazine, but even that's not as rosy as it appears, since they gave Sonic06 29/40, Secret Rings 32/40 and Unleashed 360 34/40, all well above average. I would guess that this is the lowest score from them too but there's nowhere convenient for me to check that. (edit: it is)

Update yet again: Zeupar has been made a site admin so he can handle some of the stat chart maintenance, since he is quite interested in the status of the rankings. Cheer for him, and then send him all your problems. ;D Why SonicAD is an admin has yet to be determined.

Oh, and it looks like TSC will definitely be having Black Knight charts. Why, you ask? Funny thing, that: though Sega graciously provided leaderboards though NWFC, it turns out... that they track score. Not time. Yes, I'm serious. I'm getting this info from Paraxade and the leaderboard servers appear to be offline to boot, so maybe there's a sliver of hope for sanity in there, but... well, there's a history of violence here.

(Is this TSC's longest news post yet?)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:56:52 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: It is... inevitable
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:17 pm »
Oh, and Black Knight which comes out tomorrow apparently has online leaderboards, so it's quite possible that TSC won't have charts for it.

SRA has online leaderboards, yet there are time charts for the game on TSC.

Really, though, if the game has trackable stats, it's worthy to be put up on TSC (at least in my opinion).

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:43:49 pm »
Regarding the possibility of no Black Knight leaderboards, wouldn't that be undermining the purpose of the Sitewide Rankings? Insert random comment to avoid this post being a one-liner here.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:09 am »
What Groudon said, plus comment that AR/other cheat devices will probably be poorly dealt with again.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Cream147

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:47:21 am »
The online leaderboard will most likely be riddled with cheaters. May as well have a leaderboard here anyway, for the sake of sitewide rankings, as mentioned above.

Offline Mo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:58:52 pm »
Does anyone have SBK yet?
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

Offline Maru Kiba

• The Oltanis Team Sub-Leader
  • TSC: Maru_Kiba
  • winxp firefox
  • Maru Kiba of The Oltanis Team
    • View Profile
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:08:37 pm »
If SBK came out on something better like the 360 then I probably would suggest myself getting it (since I am set on saving up for the Xbox360 (Yeah by that time a new Xbox will be on the market :D)[size=1pt]I was not really saying there is a new one coming out in the next 6 months! Say by 2012 there would[/size]
The Oltanis Team. Is made up of 9 strong and special members.
Leader (Gold-Black): Tanor Zeta Faux
Sub-Leader (Crimson): Maru Akane Kiba
Gold General (Yellow): Tana Iota Faux
Silver General (Purple): Kota Aura Rae
Bronze General (Ice Blue): Eis Sam Makai
Squad Leader (Dark Blue): Salza H. Refurin
Castle Guardian (White): Nathan S. Graves
Rune Mistress (Lavender): Forsha Timbre
Storm Dragon (Dark Grey): Helios Darkus Kiba
---
http://s917.photobucket.com/home/MaruKiba/index

Where i'll store my pics for proofs and what not. If you want to find the proof on stats, go here. I'm not posting them on the comment page for stats anymore.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »

DToid on the money as per usual.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:45 am »
Does anyone have SBK yet?
i'm getting it Today Almost got it Yesterday but it was Sold out :|
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Rolken

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:58 am »
So, er, is the idea of automatically grabbing your stats from NWFC exciting to anyone? Else I'll probably take this off my gamefly queue, and there hasn't been much interest so far <_<

edit: also I admit I'm shocked by the reviews. I expected it to be bad... but not this bad.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:35:49 am by Rolken »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:00:13 pm »
What Groudon said, plus comment that AR/other cheat devices will probably be poorly dealt with again.
'
QFT

Also, I've heard that, though this game, like unleashed, could easily support it, once it's released, there's no interest nor intention to patch any problems the software will have, unless it interferes directly with the console, HDD, or causes crashes...  and even those might be ignored...

don't have the article, eavesdropping on a friend's YT listenings... so it's probably over there somewhere
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »
Now I, for one, am neither surprised nor disappointed by that new announcement.  Why?  Because while, true, it didn't necessarily fit in with Sonic much, the night gameplay in Unleashed was, IMHO, one of the better platformers I've ever played.  I genuinely enjoyed it (except for possibly that one idiot Jungle Joyride level with the really narrow walkways >_< ).

As for Black Knight, I'm actually going to guess biased again ... check out the reader reviews.  7.9 average.  That's FOUR POINTS DIFFERENCE OUT OF TEN.  Uh, users aren't THAT stupid.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »
Now I, for one, am neither surprised nor disappointed by that new announcement.  Why?  Because while, true, it didn't necessarily fit in with Sonic much, the night gameplay in Unleashed was, IMHO, one of the better platformers I've ever played.  I genuinely enjoyed it (except for possibly that one idiot Jungle Joyride level with the really narrow walkways >_< ).

As for Black Knight, I'm actually going to guess biased again ... check out the reader reviews.  7.9 average.  That's FOUR POINTS DIFFERENCE OUT OF TEN.  Uh, users aren't THAT stupid.
Reader reviews are by people who have bought the game this close to release - they'll be more excited about the game, less jaded by Sonic's prior record, and quite probably more anxious to justify the fact that they've spent their pocket money on it (see: console fanboyism).  "Professional" game reviewers aren't perfect, but their incentives are more aligned with providing decent reviews lest people ignore them come the next release.  Plus, you haven't given us a baseline for the reader reviews - how do we know what 7.9 means to them?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:00:55 pm »
That wasn't purely referring to SBK, just using it as an example.  I've always known reader reviews to be slightly higher than professional reviews.  And yes, it's early, but there's little chance that that score is going down by a full four points as more people review it.  The fact is, I've been jaded by pro reviews for awhile now.  Professional reviewers are given a very large set of games and are asked to rank them all by a set of scores that they use for every game on the market.  User reviews come from people interested enough to both buy the game AND take the time and effort to write a review that they aren't paid to do.  Which demographic am I closer to?  The second one.  Which one have I found tends to give a more informative review?  The second one.  I know that only an extreme few games ever get, say, above 9/10 on IGN.  Of these, I own (to the best of my knowledge) TWO.  Sid Meier's Pirates, and Myst IV Revelation.  Both games are good.  Neither is within my personal top ten.  I know for a fact that most games that get above 9/10 are games that I wouldn't care for and would never play.  Why?  Because a LOT of the people who enjoy video games enough to make a living out of playing them prefer RPGs, FPSs, and the like - games that I just don't care for.  So, I read the player reviews.
I for one prefer a system that one magazine came up with (I don't recall which one).  It didn't assign a number to a game, but said that "Game 1" is better than "Game 2" but not as good as "Game 3", all being SIMILAR games.  Now THAT I understand.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 01:10:51 am »

DToid on the money as per usual.
I respond with a pic of Sega behind him.

I'm using a pic of Lucius as a proxy, but still the same idea. BTW, that ain't normal Lucius. Oh no, its the Lucius that's been memetically mutated by the internet for those who know the meme. For those who don't, let's just say that its based off him following Slaanesh. Need I say more?
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:35:48 am »
So, er, is the idea of automatically grabbing your stats from NWFC exciting to anyone? Else I'll probably take this off my gamefly queue, and there hasn't been much interest so far <_<

edit: also I admit I'm shocked by the reviews. I expected it to be bad... but not this bad.
It's amazingly poor in the reviews... so far, it seems really flashy, but fails to delever on the gameplay... I wonder, however, who's writing these things, and if they can be trusted...

who knows, it could be a shit game and still be fun to compete in!
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:48:53 am »
It no longer matters due to the subsequent revelations about the leaderboards. Even without the infinite break it'd only be scores.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
It no longer matters due to the subsequent revelations about the leaderboards. Even without the infinite break it'd only be scores.
Too bad there's no way to record for everyone... such as replay-save.... then you'd be able to check the time?

Offline Eis Makai

• The Icy Coyote
  • TSC: Iceman
  • winvista msie7
  • An icy coyote! Or is it ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.lavadomefive.com/forum
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »
Too bad there's no way to record for everyone... such as replay-save.... then you'd be able to check the time?
Well if they do have times. But not saving them, possibly you'll need to take picture proof of that time record.
As for rings, there isn't any rings right? They made them fairies instead. (Sega wants to take over Zelda! (:D just kidding).
Eis Makai is the Icy Coyote. Sumaru Star is the Ice Dragon. I own the Ice Planet!

Offline Rolken

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:16:36 pm »
Heh, I thought you were responding to mark your enthusiasm in NWFC stat grabbing.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 01:22:22 pm »
really?  There are no rings?

I'm... not sure how I feel about that...

Offline Parax

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 01:24:45 pm »
Most levels have yellow fairies that increase your ring count. There are some levels with actual rings though.

Offline Mo

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 09:27:37 pm »
I'm planning to get SBk in the next couple of weeks and I want to see how competition would play out before I get this game.
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

Print

Hits: 1,396 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.